Latest Update of KDE 4.22 Factory for 11.1 Renders KDE 4.2 Unbootable

Latest Update of KDE 4.22 Factory for 11.1 Renders KDE 4.2 Unbootable

Linux_Sle
The KDE4 desktop was updated normally using Yast and KDE4 factory
repositories.  In the past, this has not caused any problems.  This time
however KDE4 does not start.  KDM fails to show the login in screen.
GDM boots up and displays the login screen, allowing access to KDE3 and
Gnome but not KDE4.

Using XDM as the login manager, an error message complains:
"kstartupconfig4 does not exist or fails.  The error code is 139.  Check
your installation."

Searching on the internet did not point to a solution.  The file contain
the program (kdebase4-workspace-4.2.2-219.1.i586.rpm) was downloaded
from the 11.1 Factory respository and installed but to no avail.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Sudhir

Re: Latest Update of KDE 4.22 Factory for 11.1 Renders KDE 4.2 Unbootable

JayLinux
On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Sudhir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The KDE4 desktop was updated normally using Yast and KDE4 factory
> repositories.  In the past, this has not caused any problems.  This time
> however KDE4 does not start.  KDM fails to show the login in screen.
> GDM boots up and displays the login screen, allowing access to KDE3 and
> Gnome but not KDE4.
>
> Using XDM as the login manager, an error message complains:
> "kstartupconfig4 does not exist or fails.  The error code is 139.  Check
> your installation."
>
> Searching on the internet did not point to a solution.  The file contain
> the program (kdebase4-workspace-4.2.2-219.1.i586.rpm) was downloaded
> from the 11.1 Factory respository and installed but to no avail.
>
> Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

It might help to see the output of zypper -lr u. This will give list
of all the KDE 4 repositories that you have with URLs and which of
those are enabled.

For a working KDE 4.2.2 install, I have the following repo's enabled &
these worked for me (and some others):

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1/

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Extra-Apps/openSUSE_11.1/

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.1_KDE4_Factory_Desktop/

For Qt, I have -

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt/

You can try adding these repositories to Yast -> Repositories, after
inactivating/deleting your present KDE 4* repo's. Before this, save
the output of zypper -lr u to a text file in case you want to
re-install the old ones.

Before doing the update, as root, do:

# rpmdb --rebuilddb
# zypper refresh -b

Then logout of console and update the contents of above-mentioned
repositories through Yast > Software Management.

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Sudhir

_PS_
If you have any KDE 3.5 repo enabled (not mentioned in your original
post), then disable it before dong the rpmdb step & keep them disabled
when you do the Yast online update to KDE 4.2.2.

HTH

Jay

--
Linux User 483705  (openSUSE 11.1, Fedora 10)

Re: Latest Update of KDE 4.22 Factory for 11.1 Renders KDE 4.2 Unbootable

Anders Johansson-4
On Sunday 05 April 2009 13:19:27 Jay Mistry wrote:
> For Qt, I have -
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt/

You shouldn't be using that. Those are qt packages for the next version. The
only qt packages you need for kde 4.2.2 are in the regular online_update
channel

If you have the qt packages from that channel, downgrade to the packages in
online update

Anders

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Anders Johansson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sunday 05 April 2009 13:19:27 Jay Mistry wrote:

>> For Qt, I have -
>>
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt/
>
> You shouldn't be using that. Those are qt packages for the next version. The
> only qt packages you need for kde 4.2.2 are in the regular online_update
> channel
>
> If you have the qt packages from that channel, downgrade to the packages in
> online update

The openSUSE-KDE Repositories page
(http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Repositories)  mentions the following:

At  http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Repositories#KDE_4.1.4, it says:

> [ As KDE depends on Qt a KDE upgrade may require selection of an appropriate Qt repository as well. ]

The Qt Repository link (
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Repositories#KDE_4_Qt_Packages ) in that
page points to this tip:

> [ If you are not developing and just want to use KDE 4.2, you should use the KDE:/Qt44 repos instead. After the next online-update you do not need any Qt repo for 11.1 + KDE 4.2  ]

Finally, the 'Building your own Qt packages' (
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Repositories#Building_your_own_Qt.2FKDE_packages
), mentions:

> [  To build your own packages against either KDE 4.x or Qt 4.x, choose one of the following repositories as a base to build against (When adding a repository, click on "Advanced" at the bottom and then select the repository name in the item list)
> KDE:Qt if you want to build a Qt-only application against a stable Qt 4.x release. This repository currently features Qt 4.3.x
> KDE:Qt44 if you need the new features in Qt 4.4.x. Note that this Qt version is not released yet and might contain serious bugs.
> KDE:KDE4:STABLE:Desktop if you want to build a KDE 4.x application against KDE 4.1.x. for any of the released openSUSE releases.
> KDE:KDE4:UNSTABLE:Desktop if you want to build a KDE 4.1.x application against KDE 4.1.x for any of the released openSUSE releases.  ]

I am not a technically proficient user/programmer. For the average
user this can be a bit confusing.

From, the 'System' section of Yast -> Software Management', (filter by
'Package Group'), I get the Qt version as 3.3.8b-95.1-i586
(installed).
When I check the Qt version in KDE 4.2.1, it gives it as Qt 4.5. This
KDE 4.2.1 + Qt 4.5 has been for the most part stable on my desktop PC.
I plan to upgrade to KDE 4.2.2 shortly.

Jay

On Sunday 05 April 2009 15:23:19 Jay Mistry wrote:
> page points to this tip:
> > [ If you are not developing and just want to use KDE 4.2, you should use
> > the KDE:/Qt44 repos instead. After the next online-update you do not need
> > any Qt repo for 11.1 + KDE 4.2  ]

Exactly. No need for any qt repository, simply run an online update and you
get the packages you need

> Finally, the 'Building your own Qt packages' (

http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Repositories#Building_your_own_Qt.2FKDE_packages

> ), mentions:
[...]
> I am not a technically proficient user/programmer. For the average
> user this can be a bit confusing.

Right, but the "average user" won't be building his own packages anyway. The
average user should just be running an online update to get the qt packages,
nothing else

> From, the 'System' section of Yast -> Software Management', (filter by
> 'Package Group'), I get the Qt version as 3.3.8b-95.1-i586
> (installed).
> When I check the Qt version in KDE 4.2.1, it gives it as Qt 4.5. This
> KDE 4.2.1 + Qt 4.5 has been for the most part stable on my desktop PC.

For me too, but it's not officially supported, so there could be issues with
it. Properly it shouldn't be used until 4.3

And since they are seeing segmentation faults, the qt version should be one of
the first things to check

Anders

Re: Latest Update of KDE 4.22 Factory for 11.1 Renders KDE 4.2 Unbootable

Chuck Davis
Sudhir:

I updated my laptop yesterday and it wiped out KDE with the same
problem you have.

If you have the KDE4 repository set up, at the command prompt after
boot, sign on as root.  Then just type "zypper update".  That fixed my
laptop.  Report back to us if that does not work.

Chuck

On 4/5/09, Sudhir <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The KDE4 desktop was updated normally using Yast and KDE4 factory
> repositories.  In the past, this has not caused any problems.  This time
> however KDE4 does not start.  KDM fails to show the login in screen.
> GDM boots up and displays the login screen, allowing access to KDE3 and
> Gnome but not KDE4.
>
> Using XDM as the login manager, an error message complains:
> "kstartupconfig4 does not exist or fails.  The error code is 139.  Check
> your installation."
>
> Searching on the internet did not point to a solution.  The file contain
> the program (kdebase4-workspace-4.2.2-219.1.i586.rpm) was downloaded
> from the 11.1 Factory respository and installed but to no avail.
>
> Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Sudhir

Re: Latest Update of KDE 4.22 Factory for 11.1 Renders KDE 4.2 Unbootable

Fred A. Miller
Jay Mistry wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Sudhir <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The KDE4 desktop was updated normally using Yast and KDE4 factory
>> repositories.  In the past, this has not caused any problems.  This time
>> however KDE4 does not start.  KDM fails to show the login in screen.
>> GDM boots up and displays the login screen, allowing access to KDE3 and
>> Gnome but not KDE4.
>>
>> Using XDM as the login manager, an error message complains:
>> "kstartupconfig4 does not exist or fails.  The error code is 139.  Check
>> your installation."
>>
>> Searching on the internet did not point to a solution.  The file contain
>> the program (kdebase4-workspace-4.2.2-219.1.i586.rpm) was downloaded
>> from the 11.1 Factory respository and installed but to no avail.
>>
>> Does anyone have a solution to this problem?
>
> It might help to see the output of zypper -lr u. This will give list
> of all the KDE 4 repositories that you have with URLs and which of
> those are enabled.
>
> For a working KDE 4.2.2 install, I have the following repo's enabled &
> these worked for me (and some others):
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1/
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Extra-Apps/openSUSE_11.1/
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.1_KDE4_Factory_Desktop/
>
> For Qt, I have -
>
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Qt/

I've updated this laptop, but no others yet. So far so good, but I also
won't add the QT repository as it's not needed unless you're doing dev.
and will mess things up, sooner or later....probably sooner. ;)

Fred

--
"The fundamental premise of liberalism is the moral and
rational incapacity of the American people." ~ Fred Miller

Chuck Davis wrote:

> Sudhir:
>
> I updated my laptop yesterday and it wiped out KDE with the same
> problem you have.
>
> If you have the KDE4 repository set up, at the command prompt after
> boot, sign on as root.  Then just type "zypper update".  That fixed my
> laptop.  Report back to us if that does not work.
>
> Chuck

<snip>

The issue was resolved by running "zypper update".  Running Yast update
just before running zypper did not help.  One issue that arose was that
KDE4 was not available as an option in KDM or GDM login managers.
Running 1-Click update for kde4 Factory update from Opensuse's website
put things right and KDE4 desktop has been restored on this PC.

Thank you one and all for your help and assistance in this matter.

Sudhir