Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1

Lívio Cipriano
Hi all,

Some time ago I posted a message regarding the fact that Konqueror, with the
context menu, compressed files with rar adding "RAR" as extension, instead of
"rar". From the posted messages, was not possible to arrive to a conclusion.
Now I found even a more strange behavior.

Downloading

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tar.bz2

and trying to preview them in Konqueror, I receive the error message "Couldn't
open the file, probably due to an unsupported file format". The unsupported
file format is TAR. Could be damage files, but I can open them with the
command line. Other files, with the same extensions, can be previewed in
Konqueror.

The strange fact is that I can preview these two files in Konqueror in SuSE
9.2 . Any ideas?

Lívio

--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1

Bugzilla from peter.vollebregt@xs4all.nl
Lívio Cipriano schreef:

> Hi all,
>
> Some time ago I posted a message regarding the fact that Konqueror, with the
> context menu, compressed files with rar adding "RAR" as extension, instead of
> "rar". From the posted messages, was not possible to arrive to a conclusion.
> Now I found even a more strange behavior.
>
> Downloading
>
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tar.gz
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tar.bz2
>
> and trying to preview them in Konqueror, I receive the error message "Couldn't
> open the file, probably due to an unsupported file format". The unsupported
> file format is TAR. Could be damage files, but I can open them with the
> command line. Other files, with the same extensions, can be previewed in
> Konqueror.
>
> The strange fact is that I can preview these two files in Konqueror in SuSE
> 9.2 . Any ideas?
>
> Lívio
>
>  
Livio,

When i have problems like this with konqueror it is because of some
strange characters in the name. Like '?' for example.

Your file can be read with mc (suse 10.1) but that shows another name:
cdrtools-2.0~01a11.tar.gz to be exact.

When i rename the file to test.gz i can open it with konqueror (Ark).

Now there seens to be a problem with fonts / locale. But i am no expert
there.

Peter

PS: i have had similar experiences with writing to a FAT directory.
konqueror only showed and created  lowercase names there but i could
make capital names from the command line.
For FAT i solve this now by adding the option 'shortname=mixed' to
fstab. See man fstab and mount.



--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1

Lívio Cipriano
Peter;

What version of kde are you using? I'm using kde 3.5.1 in SuSE 10.1.

The facts that you told me have different results in my environment:

- The files can be preview in mc, but the names are the same that in Konqueror
(withou ~);

- Changing the file name, Ark opens the gz part, ask me to confirm if the
resulting file is a tar, I confirm, but can't open it.

So .. I guess that this behavior must be a "feature" of this version of kde.

Regards

Lívio

On 02 de September de 2006 20:35, Peter Vollebregt wrote:

> Lívio Cipriano schreef:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Some time ago I posted a message regarding the fact that Konqueror, with
> > the context menu, compressed files with rar adding "RAR" as extension,
> > instead of "rar". From the posted messages, was not possible to arrive to
> > a conclusion. Now I found even a more strange behavior.
> >
> > Downloading
> >
> > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tar.gz
> > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tar.bz2
> >
> > and trying to preview them in Konqueror, I receive the error message
> > "Couldn't open the file, probably due to an unsupported file format". The
> > unsupported file format is TAR. Could be damage files, but I can open
> > them with the command line. Other files, with the same extensions, can be
> > previewed in Konqueror.
> >
> > The strange fact is that I can preview these two files in Konqueror in
> > SuSE 9.2 . Any ideas?
> >
> > Lívio
>
> Livio,
>
> When i have problems like this with konqueror it is because of some
> strange characters in the name. Like '?' for example.
>
> Your file can be read with mc (suse 10.1) but that shows another name:
> cdrtools-2.0~01a11.tar.gz to be exact.
>
> When i rename the file to test.gz i can open it with konqueror (Ark).
>
> Now there seens to be a problem with fonts / locale. But i am no expert
> there.
>
> Peter
>
> PS: i have had similar experiences with writing to a FAT directory.
> konqueror only showed and created  lowercase names there but i could
> make capital names from the command line.
> For FAT i solve this now by adding the option 'shortname=mixed' to
> fstab. See man fstab and mount.

--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1

Curtis Rey
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Sat September 2 2006 13:02, Lívio Cipriano wrote:
Would you please turn of (at least of this list) the "request for receipt
comformation" in you mailer - spammers use this tactic to gain addresses and
besides it's a bit of a pain to have the window pop up asking for action
(ignore, send or deny).

Thank you, Curtis.

>
> On 02 de September de 2006 20:35, Peter Vollebregt wrote:
> > Lívio Cipriano schreef:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Some time ago I posted a message regarding the fact that Konqueror,
> > > with the context menu, compressed files with rar adding "RAR" as
> > > extension, instead of "rar". From the posted messages, was not possible
> > > to arrive to a conclusion. Now I found even a more strange behavior.
> > >
> > > Downloading
> > >
> > > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tar.gz
> > > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tar.bz2
> > >
> > > and trying to preview them in Konqueror, I receive the error message
> > > "Couldn't open the file, probably due to an unsupported file format".
> > > The unsupported file format is TAR. Could be damage files, but I can
> > > open them with the command line. Other files, with the same extensions,
> > > can be previewed in Konqueror.
> > >
> > > The strange fact is that I can preview these two files in Konqueror in
> > > SuSE 9.2 . Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Lívio
> >
> > Livio,
> >
> > When i have problems like this with konqueror it is because of some
> > strange characters in the name. Like '?' for example.
> >
> > Your file can be read with mc (suse 10.1) but that shows another name:
> > cdrtools-2.0~01a11.tar.gz to be exact.
> >
> > When i rename the file to test.gz i can open it with konqueror (Ark).
> >
> > Now there seens to be a problem with fonts / locale. But i am no expert
> > there.
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > PS: i have had similar experiences with writing to a FAT directory.
> > konqueror only showed and created  lowercase names there but i could
> > make capital names from the command line.
> > For FAT i solve this now by adding the option 'shortname=mixed' to
> > fstab. See man fstab and mount.

- --
Spammers Beware: Trespassers will be shot,
survivors will be shot again!

Like the song say: "Everything's 'Zen'... I don't think so"!
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFE+eYl7CQBg4DqqCwRAkEuAKDUKNECB7QCFRnP8euQTNRzQuqqdgCePA0u
C6IVd9JkOysWWjZCp+bS60o=
=H2Af
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1

Bugzilla from andjoh@rydsbo.net
On Saturday 02 September 2006 22:14, Curtis Rey wrote:
> On Sat September 2 2006 13:02, Lívio Cipriano wrote:
> Would you please turn of (at least of this list) the "request for receipt
> comformation" in you mailer - spammers use this tactic to gain addresses
> and besides it's a bit of a pain to have the window pop up asking for
> action (ignore, send or deny).

Settings->configure kmail->Security->Message Disposition Notifications->Send
policy

Check "ignore"  and sleep easy


--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Weird bug! (was Re: [suse-kde] Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1)

Vincenzo Ciancia-3
In reply to this post by Lívio Cipriano
NOTE:

I already sent this message, but was refused because it was too big, hence I
remove the attachment named "test2.tar", mentioned in the message, it can be
obtained from "test.tar" by first extracting the archive, then copying the
directory "b1" in another directory using "cp -r", then compressing again.

The original message follows, I have no time to edit it, sorry.

Alle 12:41, venerdì 1 settembre 2006, Lívio Cipriano ha scritto:
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tar.gz
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tar.bz2
>
> and trying to preview them in Konqueror, I receive the error message
> "Couldn't open the file, probably due to an unsupported file format". The
> unsupported file format is TAR. Could be damage files, but I can open them
> with the command line. Other files, with the same extensions, can be
> previewed in Konqueror.


This is a problem also in ark, both use ktar (don't know what this is); in
console it says

KTar: WARNING: KTar: invalid TAR file. Header is: erli

By removing and adding files, this message can vary a lot. Narrowing this
behavior down file by bile, I went to the conclusion that the three files
named:

COMPILE  INSTALL  START

cause the problem: untar the archive from command line, then tar it again,
then open with ark. You don't need to compress the file, the problem lies in
the tar file format handling.

The weirdest of this all, and frankly I can't understand how this can happen,
if you copy the untarred directory with "cp -r" to a new dir, and tar it, ark
works on it. If you copy it with "cp --preserve=links -r", and tar it, ark
won't work on it.

ark --version
Qt: 3.3.6
KDE: 3.5.4 Level "a"
Ark: 2.6.4



One could then think about symlinks, but, wait, in my narrowed-down example
there are NO symlinks!

If someone had told me this, I would have called him a liar :)

I attach my test tar file, I repeat, if you untar it, cp -r b1 b2, tar cf
test2.tar b2, it will work. And there's no observable (with diff, getattr,
ls -la) difference between b1 and b2. I also attach the result of doing this,
in test2.tar. Of course, diff and xdelta show that there's a difference
between the two :)

bye

Vincenzo


--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1

Curtis Rey
In reply to this post by Bugzilla from andjoh@rydsbo.net
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

On Sat September 2 2006 13:21, Anders Johansson wrote:

> On Saturday 02 September 2006 22:14, Curtis Rey wrote:
> > On Sat September 2 2006 13:02, Lívio Cipriano wrote:
> > Would you please turn of (at least of this list) the "request for receipt
> > comformation" in you mailer - spammers use this tactic to gain addresses
> > and besides it's a bit of a pain to have the window pop up asking for
> > action (ignore, send or deny).
>
> Settings->configure kmail->Security->Message Disposition
> Notifications->Send policy
>
> Check "ignore"  and sleep easy

Thanks Anders.  

Cheers, Curtis.

- --
Spammers Beware: Trespassers will be shot,
survivors will be shot again!

Like the song say: "Everything's 'Zen'... I don't think so"!
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFE+ey77CQBg4DqqCwRAsxVAJ9fqgyVTmpDxH++FQtxfFoqaID5SACgmoZI
iXG2+unGFu0btVmFVB8u9RY=
=SShE
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1

Lívio Cipriano
In reply to this post by Curtis Rey
Hi all,

Effectively I request "disposition notifications" for my e-mails. It's
possible, for the receivers, to turn the ignore option in their mail client.

This behavior only happens on this list. Other suse list, that I subscribe,
don't have it.

Notice that when we post a message to this list (as well as others), we send
it to "[hidden email]", not to the individual subscribers. It's the mailer
that resents each message to each the subscribers, so is it that resents my
disposition notification.

I guess that this is due to the configuration of this list at the mailer.

Lívio

On 02 de September de 2006 21:14, Curtis Rey wrote:

> On Sat September 2 2006 13:02, Lívio Cipriano wrote:
> Would you please turn of (at least of this list) the "request for receipt
> comformation" in you mailer - spammers use this tactic to gain addresses
> and besides it's a bit of a pain to have the window pop up asking for
> action (ignore, send or deny).
>
> Thank you, Curtis.
>
> > On 02 de September de 2006 20:35, Peter Vollebregt wrote:
> > > Lívio Cipriano schreef:
> > > > Hi all,
> > > >
> > > > Some time ago I posted a message regarding the fact that Konqueror,
> > > > with the context menu, compressed files with rar adding "RAR" as
> > > > extension, instead of "rar". From the posted messages, was not
> > > > possible to arrive to a conclusion. Now I found even a more strange
> > > > behavior.
> > > >
> > > > Downloading
> > > >
> > > > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tar.gz
> > > > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tar.bz2
> > > >
> > > > and trying to preview them in Konqueror, I receive the error message
> > > > "Couldn't open the file, probably due to an unsupported file format".
> > > > The unsupported file format is TAR. Could be damage files, but I can
> > > > open them with the command line. Other files, with the same
> > > > extensions, can be previewed in Konqueror.
> > > >
> > > > The strange fact is that I can preview these two files in Konqueror
> > > > in SuSE 9.2 . Any ideas?
> > > >
> > > > Lívio
> > >
> > > Livio,
> > >
> > > When i have problems like this with konqueror it is because of some
> > > strange characters in the name. Like '?' for example.
> > >
> > > Your file can be read with mc (suse 10.1) but that shows another name:
> > > cdrtools-2.0~01a11.tar.gz to be exact.
> > >
> > > When i rename the file to test.gz i can open it with konqueror (Ark).
> > >
> > > Now there seens to be a problem with fonts / locale. But i am no expert
> > > there.
> > >
> > > Peter
> > >
> > > PS: i have had similar experiences with writing to a FAT directory.
> > > konqueror only showed and created  lowercase names there but i could
> > > make capital names from the command line.
> > > For FAT i solve this now by adding the option 'shortname=mixed' to
> > > fstab. See man fstab and mount.
>
> --
> Spammers Beware: Trespassers will be shot,
> survivors will be shot again!
>
> Like the song say: "Everything's 'Zen'... I don't think so"!

--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1

Mathias Homann
Am Samstag, 2. September 2006 23:09 schrieb Lívio Cipriano:
> Hi all,
>
> Effectively I request "disposition notifications" for my e-mails.

then do not do that when sending to mailing lists.

bye,
        MH

--
gpg key fingerprint: 5F64 4C92 9B77 DE37 D184  C5F9 B013 44E7 27BD
763C

--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1

Lívio Cipriano
In reply to this post by Lívio Cipriano
On 3 September de 2006 06:47, you wrote:
>
>  I see that you are using Kmail. You might set up a separate identity to
>  handle the mailing list, and turn off "disposition notifications" for
>  that identity.

That was my first idea, but I couldn't figure how to. It seams that
"disposition notification" is a global setting of kmail and you can only
disable it at the message level (as I done on this).

Do you know how to do it at the Identity level?

LC

--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Weird bug and steps to reproduce

Vincenzo Ciancia-3
In reply to this post by Vincenzo Ciancia-3
Alle 22:35, sabato 2 settembre 2006, Vincenzo Ciancia ha scritto:
> I already sent this message, but was refused because it was too big, hence
> I remove the attachment named "test2.tar", mentioned in the message, it can
> be obtained from "test.tar" by first extracting the archive, then copying
> the directory "b1" in another directory using "cp -r", then compressing
> again.

The problem is with hardlinks; I just discovered that COMPILING and INSTALL
are hardlinked each other in test.tar, which by the way was somewhere
stripped out or I forgot to attach it, however you can reproduce easily the
bug, just have to create two hardlinked files, even empty, and a non-empty
file _following_ those in the same archive:

touch A
touch B
echo C > C

tar cf test.tar A B C

this will cause ark to fail on test.tar, while

tar cf test.tar C A B will work.

I will report the bug in the novell bugzilla as soon as it will let me log
in :)

Vincenzo

--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1

Lívio Cipriano
In reply to this post by Lívio Cipriano
On 2 September de 2006 21:21, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:

>  This is a problem also in ark, both use ktar (don't know what this is); in
>  console it says
>
>  KTar: WARNING: KTar: invalid TAR file. Header is: erli

Hi Vicenzo,

Check Joerg link "http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/index.html".

Seams that everybody is using different is a different TAR tool :-)

Lívio

--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Konqueror and compressed files in SuSE 10.1

Lívio Cipriano
In reply to this post by Lívio Cipriano
On 2 September de 2006 21:21, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:

>  This is a problem also in ark, both use ktar (don't know what this is); in
>  console it says

This is ktar

"http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/3.4-api/kio/html/classKTar.html"

Inventing the wheel?

I think that is the origin of my problem. This lib must have suffer from a
downgrade from previous versions.

LC

--
To unsubscribe, email: [hidden email]
For additional commands, email: [hidden email]
Please do not cross-post to suse-linux-e