Kmail problem

Bob Rea
I am having a problem sending mail with Kmail Version 4.14.2, Platform
Version 4.14.9, in oS 13.2 the message when I tried to send is: Failed
to get D-Bus interface of mailfilteragent. I would send this to the
KDE opensuse mailing list, but I can't. Yes I can if I remember
webmail.  :)If someone would please do that or tell me what to do I
would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

Re: Kmail problem

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op dinsdag 9 januari 2018 16:48:00 CET schreef [hidden email]:
> I am having a problem sending mail with Kmail Version 4.14.2, Platform
> Version 4.14.9, in oS 13.2 the message when I tried to send is: Failed
> to get D-Bus interface of mailfilteragent. I would send this to the
> KDE opensuse mailing list, but I can't. Yes I can if I remember
> webmail.  :)If someone would please do that or tell me what to do I
> would greatly appreciate it.
> Thanks in advance

This has been an issue for some of us on Leap as well as Tumbleweed, but has
been fixed quite fast. The main problem, IMO, you have, is that you're running
an outdated openSUSE version. 13.2 has been out of maintenance for ages now.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: Kmail problem

Stakanov Schufter
In data martedì 9 gennaio 2018 16:48:00 CET, [hidden email] ha scritto:
> I am having a problem sending mail with Kmail Version 4.14.2, Platform
> Version 4.14.9, in oS 13.2 the message when I tried to send is: Failed
> to get D-Bus interface of mailfilteragent. I would send this to the
> KDE opensuse mailing list, but I can't. Yes I can if I remember
> webmail.  :)If someone would please do that or tell me what to do I
> would greatly appreciate it.
> Thanks in advance
You are aware that 13.2 is out of updates for a long time now.

Open a terminal

write:
service dbus start

then press the return key.

Does it work then?

The easiest would be to update to a supported version. Backup the mail (with
archive). Then backup settings for pop/imap (passwords etc).
The do a zypper up to 42.2, once you are done, do an upgrade to 42.3.
This upgrade path should be supported. If you wait any longer you may have
more difficulty to migrate your system.
Given that webkit engine of kde version 4 does not get fixes any more it is a
bit risky business to work with an OS without security upgrades and a kde
without them too.
Bear in mind that 42.1 is not installable any more (out of support, no
updates).
That 42.2 will soon be out of support (but easier to upgrade).
That from 42.2 to 42.3 will be the migration to kmail5 in an acceptable way
(backup is mandatory though).

Re: Kmail problem

Bob Rea
On Tuesday, January 09, 2018 05:03:18 PM stakanov wrote:

> In data martedì 9 gennaio 2018 16:48:00 CET, [hidden email] ha scritto:
> > I am having a problem sending mail with Kmail Version 4.14.2, Platform
> > Version 4.14.9, in oS 13.2 the message when I tried to send is: Failed
> > to get D-Bus interface of mailfilteragent. I would send this to the
> > KDE opensuse mailing list, but I can't. Yes I can if I remember
> > webmail.  :)If someone would please do that or tell me what to do I
> > would greatly appreciate it.
> > Thanks in advance
>
> You are aware that 13.2 is out of updates for a long time now.
>
> Open a terminal
>
> write:
> service dbus start
>
> then press the return key.
>
> Does it work then?
>
> The easiest would be to update to a supported version. Backup the mail (with
> archive). Then backup settings for pop/imap (passwords etc).
> The do a zypper up to 42.2, once you are done, do an upgrade to 42.3.
> This upgrade path should be supported. If you wait any longer you may have
> more difficulty to migrate your system.
> Given that webkit engine of kde version 4 does not get fixes any more it is
> a bit risky business to work with an OS without security upgrades and a kde
> without them too.
> Bear in mind that 42.1 is not installable any more (out of support, no
> updates).
> That 42.2 will soon be out of support (but easier to upgrade).
> That from 42.2 to 42.3 will be the migration to kmail5 in an acceptable way
> (backup is mandatory though).

Bob Rea
www.petard.us
www.petard.us/blog

America, it was a wonderful country
Til they took it private
and made it a theme park of itself

Re: Kmail problem

Bob Rea
On Tuesday, January 09, 2018 10:48:00 AM [hidden email] wrote:
> I am having a problem sending mail with Kmail Version 4.14.2, Platform
> Version 4.14.9, in oS 13.2 the message when I tried to send is: Failed
> to get D-Bus interface of mailfilteragent. I would send this to the
> KDE opensuse mailing list, but I can't. Yes I can if I remember
> webmail.  :)If someone would please do that or tell me what to do I
> would greatly appreciate it.
> Thanks in advance

Mirabile dictu Mail is now getting sent successfully
and I am planning to update to leap
--
Bob Rea
www.petard.us
www.petard.us/blog

America, it was a wonderful country
Til they took it private
and made it a theme park of itself

Re: Kmail problem

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Dienstag, 9. Januar 2018, 17:00:19 schrieb Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink:

> Op dinsdag 9 januari 2018 16:48:00 CET schreef [hidden email]:
> > I am having a problem sending mail with Kmail Version 4.14.2, Platform
> > Version 4.14.9, in oS 13.2 the message when I tried to send is: Failed
> > to get D-Bus interface of mailfilteragent. I would send this to the
> > KDE opensuse mailing list, but I can't. Yes I can if I remember
> > webmail.  :)If someone would please do that or tell me what to do I
> > would greatly appreciate it.
> > Thanks in advance
>
> This has been an issue for some of us on Leap as well as Tumbleweed, but has
> been fixed quite fast.

The recent sending problems were specific to KDEPIM 17.12.0, i.e. Tumbleweed
and not Leap (unless you used extra repos of course).

> The main problem, IMO, you have, is that you're
> running an outdated openSUSE version. 13.2 has been out of maintenance for
> ages now.

At the very least he should update his 13.2 system.
The latest kmail in 13.2:Update is 4.14.10, lots of fixes have been made there
since the even older 4.14.2... ;-)

But yes, upgrading to a supported openSUSE version is recommended anyway.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Re: Kmail problem

Stakanov Schufter
In data martedì 9 gennaio 2018 22:00:24 CET, Bob Rea ha scritto:

> On Tuesday, January 09, 2018 10:48:00 AM [hidden email] wrote:
> > I am having a problem sending mail with Kmail Version 4.14.2, Platform
> > Version 4.14.9, in oS 13.2 the message when I tried to send is: Failed
> > to get D-Bus interface of mailfilteragent. I would send this to the
> > KDE opensuse mailing list, but I can't. Yes I can if I remember
> > webmail.  :)If someone would please do that or tell me what to do I
> > would greatly appreciate it.
> > Thanks in advance
>
> Mirabile dictu Mail is now getting sent successfully
> and I am planning to update to leap

Errata corrige:
I did write "zypper up" but in reality it should have been of course
zypper dup
Please refer to
man zypper
before proceeding. This will avoid undesirable collateral damage.
:-)
Cheers.