Kernel-xen is being dropped

Jiri Slaby-6

Re: Kernel-xen is being dropped

Jan Engelhardt-4

On Monday 2015-11-23 12:59, Jiri Slaby wrote:

>with request#345827, kernel-xen, -pv, and -ec2 packages will be
>dropped from factory. Instead, kernel-default will obsolete them by
>xen through pv-ops.
>
>I.e. install kernel-default, report potential bugs, and have fun,

This makes me wonder if we still need the distinguishing -default
suffix in the uname output for the default kernel. I mean, we can
just set LOCALVERSION="" for that one, can we not? After all, it is
now definitely the kernel with >50% installation share (since
-desktop got absorbed).

On 11/23/2015, 01:11 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Monday 2015-11-23 12:59, Jiri Slaby wrote:
>>
>> with request#345827, kernel-xen, -pv, and -ec2 packages will be
>> dropped from factory. Instead, kernel-default will obsolete them by
>> xen through pv-ops.
>>
>> I.e. install kernel-default, report potential bugs, and have fun,
>
> This makes me wonder if we still need the distinguishing -default
> suffix in the uname output for the default kernel. I mean, we can
> just set LOCALVERSION="" for that one, can we not? After all, it is
> now definitely the kernel with >50% installation share (since
> -desktop got absorbed).

We still have -debug and -vanilla and I think the differentiation from
those two is still nice anyway.

thanks,
--
js
suse labs

Re: Kernel-xen is being dropped

Mathias Homann-2
Am Montag 23 November 2015, 12:59:38 schrieb Jiri Slaby:

> Hi,
>
> with request#345827, kernel-xen, -pv, and -ec2 packages will be
> dropped from factory. Instead, kernel-default will obsolete them by
> xen through pv-ops.
>
> I.e. install kernel-default, report potential bugs, and have fun,
> --
> js
> suse labs

...does that mean we'll not use xen anymore?

...good.

Cheers
Mathias
--
gpg key fingerprint: 5F64 4C92 9B77 DE37 D184  C5F9 B013 44E7 27BD 763C

Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel-xen is being dropped

Michal Marek
On 2015-11-23 13:42, Jiri Slaby wrote:

> On 11/23/2015, 01:11 PM, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>
>> On Monday 2015-11-23 12:59, Jiri Slaby wrote:
>>>
>>> with request#345827, kernel-xen, -pv, and -ec2 packages will be
>>> dropped from factory. Instead, kernel-default will obsolete them by
>>> xen through pv-ops.
>>>
>>> I.e. install kernel-default, report potential bugs, and have fun,
>>
>> This makes me wonder if we still need the distinguishing -default
>> suffix in the uname output for the default kernel. I mean, we can
>> just set LOCALVERSION="" for that one, can we not? After all, it is
>> now definitely the kernel with >50% installation share (since
>> -desktop got absorbed).
>
> We still have -debug and -vanilla and I think the differentiation from
> those two is still nice anyway.

It would also be a change for the sake of change. There certainly is a
bunch of scripts that assume the current uname -r scheme and identifying
and fixing these would not be trivial.

Michal

Re: Kernel-xen is being dropped

Stefan Seyfried
Am 23.11.2015 um 14:39 schrieb Mathias Homann:

> Am Montag 23 November 2015, 12:59:38 schrieb Jiri Slaby:
>> Hi,
>>
>> with request#345827, kernel-xen, -pv, and -ec2 packages will be
>> dropped from factory. Instead, kernel-default will obsolete them by
>> xen through pv-ops.
>>
>> I.e. install kernel-default, report potential bugs, and have fun,
>
> ...does that mean we'll not use xen anymore?

No, kernel-default is now supposed to be usable as dom0 and PV or FV
domU kernel.

> ...good.

Yes, if it works as intended...

Or did you imply it would be good if xen would not work anymore? That
would be something I would not subscribe to :-)
--
Stefan Seyfried

Re: Kernel-xen is being dropped

Mathias Homann-2
Hi,

i prefer kvm for my virtualisation needs...

On 11/23/2015 09:53 PM, Stefan Seyfried wrote:

> Am 23.11.2015 um 14:39 schrieb Mathias Homann:
>> Am Montag 23 November 2015, 12:59:38 schrieb Jiri Slaby:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> with request#345827, kernel-xen, -pv, and -ec2 packages will be
>>> dropped from factory. Instead, kernel-default will obsolete them by
>>> xen through pv-ops.
>>>
>>> I.e. install kernel-default, report potential bugs, and have fun,
>> ...does that mean we'll not use xen anymore?
> No, kernel-default is now supposed to be usable as dom0 and PV or FV
> domU kernel.
>
>> ...good.
> Yes, if it works as intended...
>
> Or did you imply it would be good if xen would not work anymore? That
> would be something I would not subscribe to :-)

Re: [opensuse-kernel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel-xen is being dropped

Petr Mladek-2
On Mon 2015-11-23 17:53:54, Michal Marek wrote:

> On 2015-11-23 13:42, Jiri Slaby wrote:

> >> This makes me wonder if we still need the distinguishing -default
> >> suffix in the uname output for the default kernel. I mean, we can
> >> just set LOCALVERSION="" for that one, can we not? After all, it is
> >> now definitely the kernel with >50% installation share (since
> >> -desktop got absorbed).
> >
> > We still have -debug and -vanilla and I think the differentiation from
> > those two is still nice anyway.
>
> It would also be a change for the sake of change. There certainly is a
> bunch of scripts that assume the current uname -r scheme and identifying
> and fixing these would not be trivial.

BTW: I like the current state because I often build test kernels using
"make binrpm-pkg". It produces "kernel" package that could get
installed using "rpm -Uvh" in parallel with official SUSE kernels.

Note that "make binrpm-pkg" is an easy way how to do fast incremental
builds. "rpm -Uvh" removes the previous test kernel but it keeps
a working "kernel-default" as a fallback.

Best Regards,
Petr

Re: Kernel-xen is being dropped

Ralf Lang-3
On 24.11.2015 08:39, Mathias Homann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i prefer kvm for my virtualisation needs...

That's actually not the point of the question. There are use cases where
each excel.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer