Kernel tools packaging for Factory

Andreas Färber
Hello,

For v4.7, the kvm_stat utility was removed from QEMU and added to the
kernel. We therefore had to adapt qemu packaging, and Bruce added a
Virtualization/kvm_stat package built from kernel-source.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Virtualization/kvm_stat

As part of the Factory submission review, although it was accepted, it
was suggested that we add it as sub-package to devel:tools/linux-tools
instead. I have done that now.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/devel:tools/linux-tools

However, linux-tools is not in Factory. Therefore we can't drop our
kvm_stat package yet, which was the intended purpose of the submission.

Are there any plans to submit linux-tools to Factory, or what is holding
it up? Should this rather be integrated with kernel-source somehow, like
dtb-source recently, so that it rebuilds with kernel updates and can
take build breakages like for v4.10 into account?

Thanks,
Andreas

HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

Re: Kernel tools packaging for Factory

Bjørn Lie-2
lø., 04.03.2017 kl. 14.41 +0100, skrev Andreas Färber:

> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/devel:tools/linux-tools
>
> However, linux-tools is not in Factory. Therefore we can't drop our
> kvm_stat package yet, which was the intended purpose of the
> submission.
>
> Are there any plans to submit linux-tools to Factory, or what is
> holding
> it up? Should this rather be integrated with kernel-source somehow,
> like
> dtb-source recently, so that it rebuilds with kernel updates and can
> take build breakages like for v4.10 into account?
>
> Thanks,
> Andreas

bjolie@haldis:~> osc maintainer devel:tools linux-tools
bugowner of devel:tools/linux-tools :
 -

maintainer of devel:tools/linux-tools :
 a_faerber, posophe

bjolie@haldis:~>

Seems one of the maintainers is someone you know :-)

/Bjørn

Am 04.03.2017 um 16:16 schrieb Bjørn Lie:

> lø., 04.03.2017 kl. 14.41 +0100, skrev Andreas Färber:
>>
>> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/devel:tools/linux-tools
>>
>> However, linux-tools is not in Factory. Therefore we can't drop our
>> kvm_stat package yet, which was the intended purpose of the
>> submission.
>>
>> Are there any plans to submit linux-tools to Factory, or what is
>> holding
>> it up? Should this rather be integrated with kernel-source somehow,
>> like
>> dtb-source recently, so that it rebuilds with kernel updates and can
>> take build breakages like for v4.10 into account?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Andreas
>>

> bjolie@haldis:~> osc maintainer devel:tools linux-tools
> bugowner of devel:tools/linux-tools :
>  -
>
> maintainer of devel:tools/linux-tools :
>  a_faerber, posophe
>
> bjolie@haldis:~>
>

> Seems one of the maintainers is someone you know :-)

Thanks for that unhelpful information. How do you think that is helping
answer the question of whether we should submit it? Benjamin was in CC
and so was Martin who merged many of the SRs. Read again, maybe also the
changelog - I did say above I contributed to the package, so that is no
news.

Besides, any user can do SRs, they don't need to be maintainers. :)

Regards,
Andreas

HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

Re: Kernel tools packaging for Factory

Michal Marek
On 2017-03-04 14:41, Andreas Färber wrote:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/devel:tools/linux-tools
>
> However, linux-tools is not in Factory. Therefore we can't drop our
> kvm_stat package yet, which was the intended purpose of the submission.
>
> Are there any plans to submit linux-tools to Factory, or what is holding
> it up? Should this rather be integrated with kernel-source somehow, like
> dtb-source recently, so that it rebuilds with kernel updates and can
> take build breakages like for v4.10 into account?

I must admit I was not aware of this package, but it does make sense to
me to have it in Factory. Regarding integration into kernel-source: It
would mean that the package stops being rebuilt for older distributions.
The Kernel:* projects only build against a single target each and I
would like to keep it that way, because the kernel itself is freestanding.

Michal