Kernel compilation error for cloneconfig in SuSE 10.1

Kernel compilation error for cloneconfig in SuSE 10.1

David Keller-3
Hello

Since the non-gpl-kernel modules are missing in SuSE 10.1, I tried to
build libafs of the OpenAFS-package from source for i386. This requires
the configured and at least partially built kernel source in
/usr/src/linux. So I got the package kernel-source with YaST.
uname -r says: 2.6.16.13-4-default.
gcc -v : gcc version 4.1.0 (SUSE Linux)

In /usr/src/linux I run
> make cloneconfig
> make module modules_prepare
as root. This results in the following compilation error:

CHK /usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.13/include/linux/version.h
CC arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s
In file included from ./include/asm/system.h:5,
from ./include/asm/processor.h:18,
from ./include/asm/thread_info.h:17,
from ./include/linux/thread_info.h:21,
from ./include/linux/preempt.h:10,
from ./include/linux/spinlock.h:50,
from ./include/linux/capability.h:45,
from ./include/linux/sched.h:7,
from arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.c:7:
./include/linux/kernel.h:10:20: error: stdarg.h: No such file or directory
In file included from ./include/asm/system.h:5,
from ./include/asm/processor.h:18,
from ./include/asm/thread_info.h:17,
from ./include/linux/thread_info.h:21,
from ./include/linux/preempt.h:10,
from ./include/linux/spinlock.h:50,
from ./include/linux/capability.h:45,
from ./include/linux/sched.h:7,
from arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.c:7:
./include/linux/kernel.h:104: error: expected declaration specifiers or
‘...’ before ‘va_list’
./include/linux/kernel.h:108: error: expected declaration specifiers or
‘...’ before ‘va_list’
./include/linux/kernel.h:112: error: expected declaration specifiers or
‘...’ before ‘va_list’
./include/linux/kernel.h:117: error: expected declaration specifiers or
‘...’ before ‘va_list’
./include/linux/kernel.h:131: error: expected declaration specifiers or
‘...’ before ‘va_list’
make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 1
make: *** [prepare0] Error 2

Does anyone know how to fix this problem or is there somewhere a binary
version of libafs for SuSE 10.1?
Thanks
D.Keller

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kernel compilation error for cloneconfig in SuSE 10.1

stephan beal
On Thursday 10 August 2006 10:35, David Keller wrote:
> In /usr/src/linux I run
>
> > make cloneconfig
> > make module modules_prepare
>
> as root. This results in the following compilation error:

> ./include/linux/kernel.h:10:20: error: stdarg.h: No such file or
> directory In file included from ./include/asm/system.h:5,

It sounds almost like your gcc installation is messed up.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/GCC-HOWTO.html
says:
"Files such as <float.h>, <limits.h>, <varargs.h>, <stdarg.h> and
<stddef.h> vary according to the compiler version, so are found
in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-box-linux/2.7.2/include/ and places of that
ilk."

that's where i found stdarg.h on my system (Suse 10.1):

stephan@owl:/usr/lib/gcc> find . -name '*stdarg*'
./i586-suse-linux/4.1.0/include/stdarg.h

--
----- [hidden email]   http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands

Re: Kernel compilation error for cloneconfig in SuSE 10.1

David Keller-3
Hi Stephan,
> that's where i found stdarg.h on my system (Suse 10.1):
>
> stephan@owl:/usr/lib/gcc> find . -name '*stdarg*'
> ./i586-suse-linux/4.1.0/include/stdarg.h

Thanks for this. It looks exactly the same on my box. So the problem is
not yet fixed. Do you have any suggestion how to include these sources.
Apparently there is no problem when compiling other targets with this gcc.

Regards
David Keller

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kernel compilation error for cloneconfig in SuSE 10.1

Per Jessen
David Keller wrote:

> Hello
>
> Since the non-gpl-kernel modules are missing in SuSE 10.1, I tried to
> build libafs of the OpenAFS-package from source for i386. This
> requires the configured and at least partially built kernel source in
> /usr/src/linux. So I got the package kernel-source with YaST.
> uname -r says: 2.6.16.13-4-default.
> gcc -v : gcc version 4.1.0 (SUSE Linux)
>

> Does anyone know how to fix this problem or is there somewhere a
> binary version of libafs for SuSE 10.1?

Have you got everything installed (development libraries for instance)
for building the kernel?

I've just repeated your exercise of

make cloneconfig
make modules modules_prepare,

and it works fine.  (SUSE 10.1, kernel 2.6.16.11-4-smp).

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Per Jessen wrote:
> Have you got everything installed (development libraries for instance)
> for building the kernel?

yes, I think so:
kernel
kernel-sources
gcc
libgcc
binutils and so on
The "missing" header is in fact there.
> I've just repeated your exercise of
>
> make cloneconfig
> make modules modules_prepare,
>
> and it works fine.  (SUSE 10.1, kernel 2.6.16.11-4-smp).

May it be a different setting of the PATH or some other environment
variable?
My installation comes out of the box, I just installed it.

Regards
David Keller

David Keller wrote:

> May it be a different setting of the PATH or some other environment
> variable?
> My installation comes out of the box, I just installed it.

Mine too - or at least with vary few changes.

Try doing a complete make first, then the "make modules
modules_prepare".  I think I've seen something similar before which was
due to something not having been set up correctly until I'd done a full
build.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kernel compilation error for cloneconfig in SuSE 10.1

David Keller-3

I finally resolved the problem: It seem's something was screwed up with
my environment variables, $CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH and $LIBRARY_PATH were
defined. After removing them the kernel compiles fine.

Thanks to all
David Keller

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]