Kate/kwrite printconfig defaults

Hans de Faber-2
In the print menu are the printmargins defined in inches, how can I
change this default in mm ?

The default margins are defaulted to 0.14 inch how can i set another
value as DEFAULT.

Does anybody know?

Thanks, Hans

Re: Kate/kwrite printconfig defaults

gumb
On 12/08/2019 21:19, JJM de Faber wrote:
> In the print menu are the printmargins defined in inches, how can I
> change this default in mm ?
>
> The default margins are defaulted to 0.14 inch how can i set another
> value as DEFAULT.
>
> Does anybody know?

I don't know for sure but it may depend on your Formats settings. Go to
System Settings -> Regional Settings -> Formats, check Detailed Settings
and set Measurement Units to whatever country preference. May need to
relogin for the change to be visible.

gumb

Re: Kate/kwrite printconfig defaults

Hans de Faber-2
Right answer, regional settings was the right place to change inches in mm.

I am stil looking how to change the default for the margins.

Thanks, Hans

Re: Kate/kwrite printconfig defaults

Carlos E. R.-2

> May be hard coded on the printer definition, system wide.
>
>> No, only kate and kwrite have this size fixed default margins.
>
>> If its hardcoded its in kate/kwrite.
>
>> Hardcoded default margins in a programmers tool ,I can't believe that.
Maybe I misunderstood the problem. I'm thinking rather of my experience
with tools like LibreOffice: I can change the margins but not beyond
what the printer itself defines.

As you talk of 0.14 inches, that looks to me as a printer default. For a
programmer editor, the margin would be in chars, not inches.

Could you say where exactly you see the margin size, in kate, for
instance? And what type of file are you editing (it sets the mode).

Because I just edited a plain text file and I see no margin. However,
when going to print there is indeed a margin which is set in print
preview, page setup, and in my case it is 4.35 mm or 0.17" (and can not
be decreased). This is indeed a printer margin, what kate thinks is the
minimal margin of my printer.

Looking at LO writer, it thinks the printer margin is 0.42 cm, which is
very similar to what Kate thinks, although it allows me to override (and
then the printer itself cuts when actually printing).

                (from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)

On 14-08-19 14:46, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> May be hard coded on the printer definition, system wide.
>>
>>> No, only kate and kwrite have this size fixed default margins.
>>> If its hardcoded its in kate/kwrite.
>>> Hardcoded default margins in a programmers tool ,I can't believe that.
> Maybe I misunderstood the problem. I'm thinking rather of my experience
> with tools like LibreOffice: I can change the margins but not beyond
> what the printer itself defines.
>
> As you talk of 0.14 inches, that looks to me as a printer default. For a
> programmer editor, the margin would be in chars, not inches.
>
> Could you say where exactly you see the margin size, in kate, for
> instance? And what type of file are you editing (it sets the mode).
>
> Because I just edited a plain text file and I see no margin. However,
> when going to print there is indeed a margin which is set in print
> preview, page setup, and in my case it is 4.35 mm or 0.17" (and can not
> be decreased). This is indeed a printer margin, what kate thinks is the
> minimal margin of my printer.
>
> Looking at LO writer, it thinks the printer margin is 0.42 cm, which is
> very similar to what Kate thinks, although it allows me to override (and
> then the printer itself cuts when actually printing).

Wrong discussion, a simple ascii file has no formatting, I can set any
margin from 0 to whole page and the printer prints exactly as ordered.

I only want to change the useless default !!!

Re: Kate/kwrite printconfig defaults

Fabian Vogt-2
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 14. August 2019, 15:26:59 CEST schrieb JJM de Faber:

> >> May be hard coded on the printer definition, system wide.

> > Maybe I misunderstood the problem. I'm thinking rather of my experience
> > with tools like LibreOffice: I can change the margins but not beyond
> > what the printer itself defines.
> >
> > As you talk of 0.14 inches, that looks to me as a printer default. For a
> > programmer editor, the margin would be in chars, not inches.
> >
> > Could you say where exactly you see the margin size, in kate, for
> > instance? And what type of file are you editing (it sets the mode).
> >
> > Because I just edited a plain text file and I see no margin. However,
> > when going to print there is indeed a margin which is set in print
> > preview, page setup, and in my case it is 4.35 mm or 0.17" (and can not
> > be decreased). This is indeed a printer margin, what kate thinks is the
> > minimal margin of my printer.
> >
> > Looking at LO writer, it thinks the printer margin is 0.42 cm, which is
> > very similar to what Kate thinks, although it allows me to override (and
> > then the printer itself cuts when actually printing).
> >
> Wrong discussion, a simple ascii file has no formatting, I can set any
> margin from 0 to whole page and the printer prints exactly as ordered.
>
> I only want to change the useless default !!!

which margin are you talking about?
The one in the print dialog, "Layout" -> "Border", the one in the printer
properties dialog "Page" -> "Margins" or something else entirely?

Cheers,
Fabian

On 14/08/2019 15.39, Fabian Vogt wrote:

> Hi,

>>> Maybe I misunderstood the problem. I'm thinking rather of my experience
>>> with tools like LibreOffice: I can change the margins but not beyond
>>> what the printer itself defines.
>>>
>>> As you talk of 0.14 inches, that looks to me as a printer default. For a
>>> programmer editor, the margin would be in chars, not inches.
>>>
>>> Could you say where exactly you see the margin size, in kate, for
>>> instance? And what type of file are you editing (it sets the mode).
>>>
>>> Because I just edited a plain text file and I see no margin. However,
>>> when going to print there is indeed a margin which is set in print
>>> preview, page setup, and in my case it is 4.35 mm or 0.17" (and can not
>>> be decreased). This is indeed a printer margin, what kate thinks is the
>>> minimal margin of my printer.
>>>
>>> Looking at LO writer, it thinks the printer margin is 0.42 cm, which is
>>> very similar to what Kate thinks, although it allows me to override (and
>>> then the printer itself cuts when actually printing).
>>>
>> Wrong discussion, a simple ascii file has no formatting, I can set any
>> margin from 0 to whole page and the printer prints exactly as ordered.
>>
>> I only want to change the useless default !!!
kate does not do simple ascii printing. It is converted to postscript
and beautifies it (similar to "a2ps"). It does not send ascii to the
printer, it sends postscript.

I just tried, I wrote a line of text and printed it. Kate added a header
with date at the left, page number at the right, a line below it, then
the text line I wrote, and finally another line at the bottom. I can see
that both lines stop at approximately 4mm from the paper border, so
indeed Kate is applying the printer margin of 4mm.

> which margin are you talking about?
> The one in the print dialog, "Layout" -> "Border", the one in the printer
> properties dialog "Page" -> "Margins" or something else entirely?

Yes, that is the question.

                (from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)

Am Mittwoch, 14. August 2019, 15:48:24 CEST schrieb JJM de Faber:

> On 14-08-19 15:39, Fabian Vogt wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> Wrong discussion, a simple ascii file has no formatting, I can set any
> >> margin from 0 to whole page and the printer prints exactly as ordered.
> >>
> >> I only want to change the useless default !!!
> > which margin are you talking about?
> > The one in the print dialog, "Layout" -> "Border", the one in the printer
> > properties dialog "Page" -> "Margins" or something else entirely?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Fabian
> >
> Print dialog-properties-page-margins, is default 3.53 mm .

That's not hardcoded, that's from the printer's PPD, as Carlos wrote.
You can observe that by switching to a different printer, it has different
margins set.

Cheers,
Fabian