Kaiser SUSE

Kenneth Rhodes
Color me gone.  The Question is where?  Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu?
Any suggestions?

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kaiser SUSE

C-29
> Color me gone.  The Question is where?  Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu?
> Any suggestions?

SUSE 10.2 is a good start.  Looks great.  Seems to be heading the right way.

If you're used to SUSE, you're going to find pretty much every other
distro highly annoying or at the minimum, missing some of those
features you're used to like... YAST.

Why cut and run?  It's not over yet.  Just because Novell signed a
deal with MS doesn't make your existing SUSE install stop working, nor
does it "pollute" your existing install.  Let the dust settle, and
I'll bet you that this is the same tinfoil hat waving and gnashing of
teeth that has happened dozens of times in SUSE's history.

If you drop SUSE, fine... nice having you here while you were here,
but you're basing your decision on emotion and NOT facts.  Or, are you
basing your decision on the baseless ramblings of the fouty-eleven
bloggers who all pretend to know it all, but in reality know
nothing... and are simply cashing in on the sensationalization of the
event.

Geez.. will everyone just take a pill and get back to reality...

C.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kaiser SUSE

Basil Chupin
Kenneth Rhodes wrote:
> Color me gone.  The Question is where?  Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu?
> Any suggestions?

Xandros, the Canadian product, might just be the way to go.

Cheers.

--
"I hope you leave here and walk out and say,
'What did he say?'"

         George W. Bush    27 August 2004

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kaiser SUSE

John Andersen
On Saturday 04 November 2006 00:03, Clayton wrote:
> If you're used to SUSE, you're going to find pretty much every other
> distro highly annoying or at the minimum, missing some of those
> features you're used to like... YAST.

You will find some differences in other Distros, but few of them rise
to the level of annoying, unless you are annoyed at having to learn anything
new.

As for those features in Yast, its nice but not essential. Ubuntu manages
to accomplish all those same tasks.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kaiser SUSE

Darryl Gregorash
On 2006-11-04 03:04, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Kenneth Rhodes wrote:
>> Color me gone.  The Question is where?  Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu?
>> Any suggestions?
>

> Xandros, the Canadian product, might just be the way to go.

Be bold, LinuxFromScratch :-)

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kaiser SUSE

Amit Joshi-2
On 11/4/06, Kenneth Rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Color me gone.  The Question is where?  Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu?
> Any suggestions?
>
> --

Color you gone??
May I know the reason? Oh..if it is just the Novell/ Microsoft collaboration
that is making you feel sick, think again.

Well..i have tried Red Hat / Fedora, Mandrake and the new Mandriva, Ubuntu
and Kubuntu!
But believe me, I'd personally prefer to stick to the one and only SuSE.
YaST is something that other distros don't really have. All in one system
tool.

Now, some people will start bickering that Mandriva has the Mandriva Control
Center, but seriously, is it equivalent to SuSE's YaST?

The subject line says it all - SuSE is the Caeser. ( German: Kaiser )

http://mckagan.googlepages.com

Re: Kaiser SUSE

Rajko M.
On Saturday 04 November 2006 03:41, Amit Joshi wrote:

> Caeser

Keiser is more like Emperor (Empereur, Imperator, Imperatore, Император, Цар,
Царь, etc). Caesar was part of Roman emperors title, just as Augustus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_(title).

Interesting so many words are translations for Keiser and
only one word is for SUSE.

Rajko M.

On 11/4/06, Rajko M <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Saturday 04 November 2006 03:41, Amit Joshi wrote:
>
> > Caeser
>
> Keiser  is more like Emperor (Empereur, Imperator, Imperatore, Император,
> Цар,
> Царь, etc). Caesar was part of Roman emperors title, just as Augustus
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_(title)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_%28title%29>
> .
>
> Interesting so many words are translations for Keiser and
> only one word is for SUSE.

huh??

SuSE is the German acronym for 'Software und System Entwicklung' (Software
and System Development) for all of you fellas who don't know. :)

Regards,
Amit.

http://mckagan.googlepages.com

Re: Kaiser SUSE

Mike McMullin
On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 02:33 -0500, Kenneth Rhodes wrote:
> Color me gone.  The Question is where?  Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu?
> Any suggestions?

 You could try the usual suspects.

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 20:04 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Kenneth Rhodes wrote:
> > Color me gone.  The Question is where?  Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu?
> > Any suggestions?
>

> Xandros, the Canadian product, might just be the way to go.
>
> Cheers.

  They do have a "download" edition, unlike Linspire.  I've installed a
couple of versions, easy enough to do, and it's a polished distro.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kaiser SUSE

Felix Miata
On 2006/11/04 20:04 (GMT+1100) Basil Chupin apparently typed:

> Kenneth Rhodes wrote:

>> Color me gone.  The Question is where?  Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu?
>> Any suggestions?

> Xandros, the Canadian product, might just be the way to go.

I haven't installed v4 yet, but Xandros 3 is a single CD product
dependant on the anachronism that is lilo, and a proprietary version of
lilo at that. It's very nice, but odds are it'll be short a lot of
choices you're used to from any DVD product.
--
"Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven."
                                                Matthew 5:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kaiser SUSE

Felix Miata
On 2006/11/04 00:20 (GMT-0900) John Andersen apparently typed:

> On Saturday 04 November 2006 00:03, Clayton wrote:

>> If you're used to SUSE, you're going to find pretty much every other
>> distro highly annoying or at the minimum, missing some of those
>> features you're used to like... YAST.

> You will find some differences in other Distros, but few of them rise
> to the level of annoying, unless you are annoyed at having to learn anything
> new.

In annoyances, to each his own. Among some more popular distros, I find
[edu,ku,u,xu]buntu 2nd most annoyingly different, fedora most annoying,
and Mandriva least different.

> As for those features in Yast, its nice but not essential. Ubuntu manages
> to accomplish all those same tasks.

One major annoyance from ubuntu - it's a debian. If you've never used a
debian before, there'll be plenty to relearn, because there are some
significant differences. Adept is inept, and synaptic isn't a whole lot
better. Good thing it has apt. If you use Matrox, don't switch now. Some
squeeky wheels don't seem able to squeek loud enough. Edgy broke Matrox,
and there's been no apparent attention given it by developers since the
break happened over a month before edgy's release.

Fedora seems to have no aversion to releasing version upgrades among
updates. That's a double edged sword that fits its bleeding edge
personality. If you multiboot, you may find fedora's use of a
non-standard menu file an annoyance. I just installed FC5 yesterday on
an i815 video system. Even after updates tty[1-6] are all haywire. Even
though I deselected gnome and selected kde during (text, as gui
installer wouldn't work) install, gdm was overriding kdm. Gdm had to be
removed for the changes I made to kdmrc to be applied. I selected mc for
installation during install, but the installer didn't install it.

Something else to consider is support forums. Ubuntu's mailing list and
irc channels seem to have a poor ratio of questions asked to questions
competently answered ratio. Fedora's have a huge volume to sift through.
Except for the recent flood of Novell/M$ announcement fallout, this and
the opensuse list have been pretty good. Mandriva's are good too.
--
"Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven."
                                                Matthew 5:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kaiser SUSE

PerfectReign
On Friday 03 November 2006 23:33, Kenneth Rhodes wrote:
> Color me gone.  The Question is where?  Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu?
> Any suggestions?

Try OpenSUSE.

It is a pretty good distro.

--
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com

Bugzilla from rll@felton.felton.ca.us
Clayton wrote:

>> Color me gone.  The Question is where?  Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu?
>> Any suggestions?
>
> SUSE 10.2 is a good start.  Looks great.  Seems to be heading the
> right way.
>
> If you're used to SUSE, you're going to find pretty much every other
> distro highly annoying or at the minimum, missing some of those
> features you're used to like... YAST.
>
> Why cut and run?  It's not over yet.  Just because Novell signed a
> deal with MS doesn't make your existing SUSE install stop working, nor
> does it "pollute" your existing install.  Let the dust settle, and
> I'll bet you that this is the same tinfoil hat waving and gnashing of
> teeth that has happened dozens of times in SUSE's history.
>
> If you drop SUSE, fine... nice having you here while you were here,
> but you're basing your decision on emotion and NOT facts.  Or, are you
> basing your decision on the baseless ramblings of the fouty-eleven
> bloggers who all pretend to know it all, but in reality know
> nothing... and are simply cashing in on the sensationalization of the
> event.
>
> Geez.. will everyone just take a pill and get back to reality...
>
> C.

I would like to thank Clayton for his clear, concise and rational approach
to the dialogue here which I agree with.   I would also like to see the
MS/BS
topic moved to another group as I joined this one to follow and learn
technical issues which I appreciate.

On Saturday 04 November 2006 07:21, Amit Joshi wrote:

> On 11/4/06, Rajko M <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Saturday 04 November 2006 03:41, Amit Joshi wrote:
> > > Caeser
> >
> > Keiser  is more like Emperor (Empereur, Imperator, Imperatore, Император,
> > Цар,
> > Царь, etc). Caesar was part of Roman emperors title, just as Augustus
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_(title)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> >Caesar_%28title%29> .
> >
> > Interesting so many words are translations for Keiser and
> > only one word is for SUSE.
>
> huh??
>
> SuSE is the German acronym for 'Software und System Entwicklung' (Software
> and System Development) for all of you fellas who don't know. :)

Hi  Amit.

Just a  kind of compliment to SUSE :-)
We have only one word for SUSE in all languages, and each language has it's
own word for emperor. What is better in your opinion.

Acronym for 'Software und System Entwicklung' is here too
http://en.opensuse.org/Acronyms#S :-)

BTW, if you feel that you have to go elswhere, there is quite a bit to try.
You can start from the top of the list on:
http://distrowatch.com/

Rajko M.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kaiser SUSE

Geoffrey-2
John Andersen wrote:

> On Saturday 04 November 2006 00:03, Clayton wrote:
>> If you're used to SUSE, you're going to find pretty much every other
>> distro highly annoying or at the minimum, missing some of those
>> features you're used to like... YAST.
>
> You will find some differences in other Distros, but few of them rise
> to the level of annoying, unless you are annoyed at having to learn anything
> new.
>
> As for those features in Yast, its nice but not essential. Ubuntu manages
> to accomplish all those same tasks.

The latest Mandriva (2007) is pretty nice, although, even as a Silver
Member of the Mandriva Club, I've not been able to update it.  Seems
they're having a problem with their update process.  Sound familar?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kaiser SUSE

sfreilly
On Saturday 04 November 2006 04:03, Clayton wrote:

Well said...........  thank you!!!

I couldnt agree more.

--
Powered by: SuSE Linux 10.1 ~ Kernel  2.6.16.21-0.25-smp #1 ~ Kmail 1.9 ~
Registered Linux user: 412217

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kaiser SUSE

Amit Joshi-3
On Saturday 04 November 2006 10:07 pm, Rajko M wrote:
<trimmed>

> Hi  Amit.
>
> Just a  kind of compliment to SUSE :-)
> We have only one word for SUSE in all languages, and each language has it's
> own word for emperor. What is better in your opinion.

Oh..as SuSE is all German, Kaiser seems more appropriate and sounds good
too!  ;-)

Who cares? SuSE Rulz !  :)

> Acronym for 'Software und System Entwicklung' is here too
> http://en.opensuse.org/Acronyms#S :-)

Nope..just mentioned it..so people don't have to go nowhere. :P
I have seen many people who use SuSE but still don't really know what it
stands for.

> BTW, if you feel that you have to go elswhere, there is quite a bit to try.
> You can start from the top of the list on:
> http://distrowatch.com/

Yes. I knew that. :)

Regards,
Amit.

--
Remember fellas, what we do in life echoes in eternity!

On Saturday 04 November 2006 10:09 pm, Geoffrey wrote:

> John Andersen wrote:
> > On Saturday 04 November 2006 00:03, Clayton wrote:
> >> If you're used to SUSE, you're going to find pretty much every other
> >> distro highly annoying or at the minimum, missing some of those
> >> features you're used to like... YAST.
> >
> > You will find some differences in other Distros, but few of them rise
> > to the level of annoying, unless you are annoyed at having to learn
> > anything new.
> >
> > As for those features in Yast, its nice but not essential. Ubuntu manages
> > to accomplish all those same tasks.
>
> The latest Mandriva (2007) is pretty nice, although, even as a Silver
> Member of the Mandriva Club, I've not been able to update it.  Seems
> they're having a problem with their update process.  Sound familar?
>
> --

Why only the latest version? I had tried the Mandrake 10.0 and then Mandriva
Limited Edition 2005. The system broke completely on a upgrade.
Bye Bye Mandriva since then!

Regards,
Amit.

--
Remember fellas, what we do in life echoes in eternity!

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Kaiser SUSE

John Andersen
On Saturday 04 November 2006 05:43, Felix Miata wrote:

Thanks for your evaluations, some of which I agree with, some not.

>  Adept is inept, and synaptic isn't a whole lot better.

Cute phrase, but hardly accurate.

Apt Adept and synaptic all work far better, far faster and far more user
friendly than the current rug/zypp/zum mess in SuSE which pushes updates
to you without even telling you why, or giving a synopsis of the change list.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

12