KMyMoney and QIF, how to import without mangling?

KMyMoney and QIF, how to import without mangling?

Roger Luedecke
I know this isn't quite the place for support questions, but I'm  at my wits
end to find a solution. I need to migrate a large amount of financial data
from Quicken2007 to KMyMoney. I would use GNUcash as a go-between except it
always crashes at the "tip of the day". Any help would be greatly appreciated,
and blogged about in detail so the info will be available to others.
--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador

Re: KMyMoney and QIF, how to import without mangling?

scott-268
On Sun, Dec 04, 2011 at 11:23:35AM -0800, Roger Luedecke wrote:
> I know this isn't quite the place for support questions,

and this is guaranteed not the answer you are looking for

> but I'm  at my wits end to find a solution. I need to migrate a
> large amount of financial data from Quicken2007 to KMyMoney.

i faced this years ago as i was bouncing between proprietary spreadsheet
solutions, and came to realize i was putting eggs into baskets that were
bound to change and bound to cause me hardship when they did

at the time i was using microsoft excel -- asking it to save as CSV and
proceding on my own was the best thing i ever did for my data

i keep the data now as good old fashioned ascii text, which any program,
of any decade, can read -- my support and display programs are a mix of
bash, perl, tcl, python, whatever moved me as the best solution at the
time i was writing them -- i can back up the data onto multiple formats,
and read it with any application

> I would use GNUcash as a go-between except it always crashes at the
> "tip of the day". Any help would be greatly appreciated, and blogged
> about in detail so the info will be available to others.

if you think you might like to pursue such an approach i will post a
link to my site

--
sc

Re: Re: KMyMoney and QIF, how to import without mangling?

Roger Luedecke
Creative solutions are always welcome.
--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador

Re: Re: KMyMoney and QIF, how to import without mangling?

Clayton-29
On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 16:58, Roger Luedecke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Creative solutions are always welcome.

Just a thought... if you can't get it to import, you could try
Crossover Office or Wine.  Last I checked, Quicken 2007 worked
reasonably well in Crossover Office.  It would buy you some buffer
time while you sort out exoort and import issues.

What have you tried? What error messages if any are you bumpung into?
How is your data being mangled?  Is it personal financial data or
company?  If company, have you looked at Quasar?
http://www.linuxcanada.com/  (I think someone mentioned this one in
another recent thread - it's a pretty good Linux/QT based accounting
app)

C.

wrote:

> > Creative solutions are always welcome.
>
> Just a thought... if you can't get it to import, you could try
> Crossover Office or Wine.  Last I checked, Quicken 2007 worked
> reasonably well in Crossover Office.  It would buy you some buffer
> time while you sort out exoort and import issues.
>
> What have you tried? What error messages if any are you bumpung into?
> How is your data being mangled?  Is it personal financial data or
> company?  If company, have you looked at Quasar?
> http://www.linuxcanada.com/  (I think someone mentioned this one in
> another recent thread - it's a pretty good Linux/QT based accounting
> app)
>
> C.
Personal. We don't have the Windows version, but the Mac of Quicken. Seems it
fails to import some transactions, and thus throws the final balance off. All
things considered, really not that bad.
--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 21:52, Roger Luedecke <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> What have you tried? What error messages if any are you bumpung into?
>> How is your data being mangled?  Is it personal financial data or
>> company?  If company, have you looked at Quasar?
>> http://www.linuxcanada.com/  (I think someone mentioned this one in
>> another recent thread - it's a pretty good Linux/QT based accounting
>> app)
>>
> Personal. We don't have the Windows version, but the Mac of Quicken. Seems it
> fails to import some transactions, and thus throws the final balance off. All
> things considered, really not that bad.

I haven't done a Quicken to KMyMoney import in years, but when I did
try (so long ago, I forget what version I was migrating) it didn't do
a nice job of it - that was when I looked at using Moneydance as my
personal accounting package in Linux.  I paid for a license, started
using it in Windows, and then migrated it all to Linux at some point
several years ago... at least 8 years I think.

Maybe this would be the solution you need here.  It is a commercial
package (reasonably priced), but you can download and try it for free
- so you can test to see if it'll cleanly import your QIF file.  The
nice thing is, it's cross platform (Java based), so you can start with
it on the Mac, and then if it all works, migrating Moneydance to Linux
is very simple... Install Moneydance, copy the data files and you're
done.

I don't know how easy/hard it is to migrate from Moneydance to KMyMoney though.

C.

wrote:

> >> What have you tried? What error messages if any are you bumpung into?
> >> How is your data being mangled?  Is it personal financial data or
> >> company?  If company, have you looked at Quasar?
> >> http://www.linuxcanada.com/  (I think someone mentioned this one in
> >> another recent thread - it's a pretty good Linux/QT based accounting
> >> app)
> >
> > Personal. We don't have the Windows version, but the Mac of Quicken.
> > Seems it fails to import some transactions, and thus throws the final
> > balance off. All things considered, really not that bad.
>
> I haven't done a Quicken to KMyMoney import in years, but when I did
> try (so long ago, I forget what version I was migrating) it didn't do
> a nice job of it - that was when I looked at using Moneydance as my
> personal accounting package in Linux.  I paid for a license, started
> using it in Windows, and then migrated it all to Linux at some point
> several years ago... at least 8 years I think.
>
> Maybe this would be the solution you need here.  It is a commercial
> package (reasonably priced), but you can download and try it for free
> - so you can test to see if it'll cleanly import your QIF file.  The
> nice thing is, it's cross platform (Java based), so you can start with
> it on the Mac, and then if it all works, migrating Moneydance to Linux
> is very simple... Install Moneydance, copy the data files and you're
> done.
>
> I don't know how easy/hard it is to migrate from Moneydance to KMyMoney
> though.
>
> C.
The main accounts we were able to correct rather quickly, and its smaller ones
still showing discrepancies. Frankly, I'm allergic to proprietary solutions in
most cases. As for using it on the Mac, that isn't an option either since the
hardware is failing one component every month and a half.
--
Roger Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador

Re: Re: KMyMoney and QIF, how to import without mangling?

Will Stephenson-2
On Wednesday 07 December 2011 12:30:18 Roger Luedecke wrote:
> The main accounts we were able to correct rather quickly, and its smaller
> ones still showing discrepancies. Frankly, I'm allergic to proprietary
> solutions in most cases. As for using it on the Mac, that isn't an option
> either since the hardware is failing one component every month and a half.

Did you ask on kmymoney user lists about the import?  AFAIK they are helpful.

Will

--
Will Stephenson, KDE Developer, openSUSE Boosters Team
(AG Nürnberg)

Re: KMyMoney and QIF, how to import without mangling?

Bob Williams
On 08/12/11 10:45, Will Stephenson wrote:

> On Wednesday 07 December 2011 12:30:18 Roger Luedecke wrote:
>> The main accounts we were able to correct rather quickly, and its smaller
>> ones still showing discrepancies. Frankly, I'm allergic to proprietary
>> solutions in most cases. As for using it on the Mac, that isn't an option
>> either since the hardware is failing one component every month and a half.
>
> Did you ask on kmymoney user lists about the import?  AFAIK they are helpful.
>
> Will

I agree. The list you want is [hidden email]

Bob
--
Bob Williams
System:  Linux 2.6.37.6-0.9-desktop