KMail Import from Thunderbird

Ed McCanless
This is not a big problem (I think),

        I finally tried KMail last night, but was surprised when I imported messages
from Thunderbird. KMail imported, not only the mail I had saved, but
everything I had deleted from Thunderbird while using it.
        Can someone explain what might have caused this?

Just curious, thanks,
--
-- ED --

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: KMail Import from Thunderbird

Joe Morris
Ed McCanless wrote:
> This is not a big problem (I think),
>
> I finally tried KMail last night, but was surprised when I imported messages
> from Thunderbird. KMail imported, not only the mail I had saved, but
> everything I had deleted from Thunderbird while using it.
> Can someone explain what might have caused this?

My guess is you never compacted your folders.

--
Joe Morris
Registered Linux user 231871

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: KMail Import from Thunderbird

Geoffrey-2
Ed McCanless wrote:
> This is not a big problem (I think),
>
> I finally tried KMail last night, but was surprised when I imported messages
> from Thunderbird. KMail imported, not only the mail I had saved, but
> everything I had deleted from Thunderbird while using it.
> Can someone explain what might have caused this?

You should have 'compacted folders' under thunderbird before importing.
   (speculation: I think that deleted emails are not actually deleted
until you compact folders.)

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: KMail Import from Thunderbird

Basil Chupin
Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
> Ed McCanless wrote:
>> This is not a big problem (I think),
>>
>> I finally tried KMail last night, but was surprised when I imported messages
>> from Thunderbird. KMail imported, not only the mail I had saved, but
>> everything I had deleted from Thunderbird while using it.
>> Can someone explain what might have caused this?
>>
> My guess is you never compacted your folders.

In Thunderbird, as you would know, one has to manually compact the
*MAIL* folders if you don't have the Disk Space parameter set.

The Compact Folders option in this case only compacts the *mail* folders
- the News folders, if you have any that is, are not touched.

In fact, the Compact Folders does not work for News Groups- 'compacting,
has to done by manually by deleting files in the News directory under
/.thunderbird. If there is another way, except by setting the Disk Space
parameter, I'd like to know .

For News Groups, if you do not have the Disk Space parameter set, then
delete manually the files without an extension which are the files
containing the text of messages. Each News Group has 3 files attached to
it: one with .dat extension, one with .msf, and one without an
extension. Delete the last one and leave the others alone.

Cheers.

--
"If the Iranians were to have a nuclear weapon
they could proliferate."

              George W. Bush     21 March 2006

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]