KDE4 & Qt4 removal notice

Christophe Giboudeaux-2
Hello,

As announced months ago, KDE4 and Qt4 are not supported anymore.

All the issues we encountered were addressed and I submitted delete requests
for the remaining packages in openSUSE Tumbleweed.

This will not affect the Leap 15.0 and 15.1 users.
For Leap 15.2 the goal is to drop Qt 4 as well.

Christophe

Re: [opensuse-factory] KDE4 & Qt4 removal notice

Roger Oberholtzer-2
On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 11:24 AM Christophe Giboudeaux
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As announced months ago, KDE4 and Qt4 are not supported anymore.
>
> All the issues we encountered were addressed and I submitted delete requests
> for the remaining packages in openSUSE Tumbleweed.
>
> This will not affect the Leap 15.0 and 15.1 users.
> For Leap 15.2 the goal is to drop Qt 4 as well

Should this also delete an already installed QT4 on a client computer?
When doing a zypper dup on a Tumbleweed system today, it reported:

The following 30 packages are going to be REMOVED:

  breeze4-style kde4-filesystem kdebase4-runtime
kdebase4-workspace-libs kdelibs4 kdelibs4-branding-upstream
kdelibs4-core libaccounts-glib0 libattica0_4 libbreezecommon4-5
libdav1d2 libdbusmenu-qt2 libdvdread4 libkactivities6 libkde4
libkdecore4
  libksuseinstall1 libldb1 libldb1-32bit libphonon4 libpolkit-qt-1-1
libqt4 libqt4-devel libqt4-linguist libqt4-qt3support libqt4-sql
libqt4-sql-sqlite libqt4-x11 phonon-backend-gstreamer sni-qt

I'm not using KDE4. But I have some Python programs that use QT4. They
will eventually be updated. But until then, on systems where QT4 is
already installed, removing QT4 seems strict. No problem that it goes
away in the build system and can no longer be installed. But removing
it from installed systems may be a surprise to many.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

Re: [opensuse-factory] KDE4 & Qt4 removal notice

Jan Engelhardt-4

On Monday 2019-11-04 14:59, Peter Suetterlin wrote:

>> The following 30 packages are going to be REMOVED:
>>
>>   breeze4-style kde4-filesystem kdebase4-runtime
>> kdebase4-workspace-libs kdelibs4 kdelibs4-branding-upstream
>> kdelibs4-core libaccounts-glib0 libattica0_4 libbreezecommon4-5
>> libdav1d2 libdbusmenu-qt2 libdvdread4 libkactivities6 libkde4
>> libkdecore4
>>   libksuseinstall1 libldb1 libldb1-32bit libphonon4 libpolkit-qt-1-1
>> libqt4 libqt4-devel libqt4-linguist libqt4-qt3support libqt4-sql
>> libqt4-sql-sqlite libqt4-x11 phonon-backend-gstreamer sni-qt
>>
>> I'm not using KDE4. But I have some Python programs that use QT4. They
>> will eventually be updated. But until then, on systems where QT4 is
>> already installed, removing QT4 seems strict. No problem that it goes
>> away in the build system and can no longer be installed. But removing
>> it from installed systems may be a surprise to many.
>
>Yes, that's one drawback of the way TW handles things, I've been bitten by
>that several times already.  Packages that no longer are in the repo, and are
>not requested by any other package, get removed.

Well if nothing requires it, you should not notice it going again.
Except when that "requires" is a factual-level requires that has failed to be
carried over to a package-level requires by some maintainer in the software
chain.

Re: [opensuse-factory] KDE4 & Qt4 removal notice

Hans-Peter Jansen-2
Am Montag, 4. November 2019, 14:59:34 CET schrieb Peter Suetterlin:

> Yes, that's one drawback of the way TW handles things, I've been bitten by
> that several times already.  Packages that no longer are in the repo, and
> are not requested by any other package, get removed.
>
> This, though understandable from distributor side, is extremely inconvenient
> for people installing (self-compiled) stuff in, e.g., /usr/local.

We all want TW to advance and this policy is *required* to really push things
forward.

> So either use locks, or convert your local programs to packages with the
> necessary dependencies.

Packaging pays off for many reasons. Dependency tracking and resolution is,
what really sets us apart from other OS. Renouncing this is like using a
mowing robot to mow the lawn by hand. ;-)

Pete