KDE file dialogs in Thunderbird and Firefox

Tom

KDE file dialogs in Thunderbird and Firefox

Tom
Hi all,

it seems like Thunderbird and Firefox use GTK dialogs for opening and
saving files by default. To make them use native KDE dialogs the
environment variable GTK_USE_PORTAL must be set to 1. One way to do that
is to edit the .desktop files for the applications [1].

Alternatively, the line

export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1

can be added in ~/.profile or even globally under /etc/profile.d/.

Would it make sense to add the global export in a package (e.g., a
branding package)? This should make Firefox and Thunderbird use the KDE
file dialogs by default for most users. Or would that have any unwanted
side effects?

Best,
Tom

[1]
https://pointieststick.com/2018/12/16/this-week-in-usability-productivity-part-49/

Re: KDE file dialogs in Thunderbird and Firefox

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Hi,

Am 10.07.20 um 08:26 schrieb Tom:

> Hi all,
>
> it seems like Thunderbird and Firefox use GTK dialogs for opening and
> saving files by default. To make them use native KDE dialogs the
> environment variable GTK_USE_PORTAL must be set to 1. One way to do that
> is to edit the .desktop files for the applications [1].
>
> Alternatively, the line
>
> export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
>
> can be added in ~/.profile or even globally under /etc/profile.d/.
>
> Would it make sense to add the global export in a package (e.g., a
> branding package)? This should make Firefox and Thunderbird use the KDE
> file dialogs by default for most users. Or would that have any unwanted
> side effects?

I have some stupid questions about GTK_USE_PORTAL:
When I check the Firefox code GTK_USE_PORTAL is already activated for
Firefox when running in wayland mode.
So you are asking if it should be used always instead of the native
implementation?

Also openSUSE is shipping since ages with a patch to replace the Gtk
filepicker with the KDE one when running under KDE. Wondering if this
xdg-desktop-portal stuff will make this completely obsolete? Anyone has
insights?

Thanks,
 Wolfgang

Re: KDE file dialogs in Thunderbird and Firefox

Wolfgang Rosenauer-5

Am 10.07.20 um 08:26 schrieb Tom:

> Hi all,
>
> it seems like Thunderbird and Firefox use GTK dialogs for opening and
> saving files by default. To make them use native KDE dialogs the
> environment variable GTK_USE_PORTAL must be set to 1. One way to do that
> is to edit the .desktop files for the applications [1].
>
> Alternatively, the line
>
> export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
>
> can be added in ~/.profile or even globally under /etc/profile.d/.
>
> Would it make sense to add the global export in a package (e.g., a
> branding package)? This should make Firefox and Thunderbird use the KDE
> file dialogs by default for most users. Or would that have any unwanted
> side effects?

I have some stupid questions about GTK_USE_PORTAL:
When I check the Firefox code GTK_USE_PORTAL is already activated for
Firefox when running in wayland mode.
So you are asking if it should be used always instead of the native
implementation?

Also openSUSE is shipping since ages with a patch to replace the Gtk
filepicker with the KDE one when running under KDE. Wondering if this
xdg-desktop-portal stuff will make this completely obsolete? Anyone has
insights?

Thanks,
 Wolfgang

Re: KDE file dialogs in Thunderbird and Firefox

Fabian Vogt-2
Hi,

Am Freitag, 10. Juli 2020, 09:57:51 CEST schrieb Wolfgang Rosenauer:
> Hi,
>
> Am 10.07.20 um 08:26 schrieb Tom:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > it seems like Thunderbird and Firefox use GTK dialogs for opening and
> > saving files by default.

That should not be the case, we have Firefox patched to use Qt ones.
Maybe you're missing kmozillahelper?

> > To make them use native KDE dialogs the
> > environment variable GTK_USE_PORTAL must be set to 1. One way to do that
> > is to edit the .desktop files for the applications [1].
> >
> > Alternatively, the line
> >
> > export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
> >
> > can be added in ~/.profile or even globally under /etc/profile.d/.
> >
> > Would it make sense to add the global export in a package (e.g., a
> > branding package)? This should make Firefox and Thunderbird use the KDE
> > file dialogs by default for most users. Or would that have any unwanted
> > side effects?

It seems to be the only option to get some sense into GTK and force it to
integrate at least a bit. The issue is that this not only affects Firefox and
its dialogs, but also other GTK 3+ applications and even those only
inconsistently (GTK applications have to be programmed to explicitly use native
file dialogs). AFAIK, it also means that certain settings are read over the
portal instead of using the local configuration, which can lead to
inconsistencies.

Whether those downsides outweigh the upsides remains to be seen, definitely
needs extensive testing.

> I have some stupid questions about GTK_USE_PORTAL:
> When I check the Firefox code GTK_USE_PORTAL is already activated for
> Firefox when running in wayland mode.
> So you are asking if it should be used always instead of the native
> implementation?
>
> Also openSUSE is shipping since ages with a patch to replace the Gtk
> filepicker with the KDE one when running under KDE. Wondering if this
> xdg-desktop-portal stuff will make this completely obsolete? Anyone has
> insights?

That's what I'm hoping for, but it's not a complete replacement yet.
It doesn't support selecting directories and non-local files for instance, but
I'd have to check again. Not sure about the button order.
There are parts which the portal supports, but the mozilla integration patches
don't, like print dialogs. I haven't tested those though.

Cheers,
Fabian

> Thanks,
>  Wolfgang

Re: KDE file dialogs in Thunderbird and Firefox

Tom Warnke-2
On 10.07.20 11:38, Fabian Vogt wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Am Freitag, 10. Juli 2020, 09:57:51 CEST schrieb Wolfgang Rosenauer:
 >> Hi,
 >>
 >> Am 10.07.20 um 08:26 schrieb Tom:
 >>> Hi all,
 >>>
 >>> it seems like Thunderbird and Firefox use GTK dialogs for opening and
 >>> saving files by default.
 >
 > That should not be the case, we have Firefox patched to use Qt ones.
 > Maybe you're missing kmozillahelper?

Hi Fabian,

(sorry for hitting the wrong reply button)

Yes, seems like it is not installed. I am not using Leap's
MozillaFirefox package and therefore kmozillahelper was not pulled in. I
just installed the kmozillahelper package, but it does not seem to apply
to my manual Firefox installation. It fixes the dialogs in Thunderbird,
though, which I installed as a package from the official repo.

Is kmozillahelper only pulled in by the MozillaFirefox package, not by
MozillaThunderbird?

Best,
Tom

Re: KDE file dialogs in Thunderbird and Firefox

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Freitag, 10. Juli 2020, 12:10:22 schrieb Tom Warnke:
> On 10.07.20 11:38, Fabian Vogt wrote:
> just installed the kmozillahelper package, but it does not seem to apply
> to my manual Firefox installation. It fixes the dialogs in Thunderbird,
> though, which I installed as a package from the official repo.
As already indicated, openSUSE's Firefox is patched to use KDE dialogs via
kmozillahelper.

Just installing the latter will not do anything without the openSUSE patches
to Firefox itself, i.e. it has no effect on a manual Firefox installation.

(the same is true for Thunderbird btw.)

> Is kmozillahelper only pulled in by the MozillaFirefox package, not by
kmozillahelper supplements packageand(MozillaFirefox:plasma5-desktop), i.e. it
should get installed automatically if MozillaFirefox *and* plasma5-desktop is
installed (unless you disable installation of recommended packages).

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

On 10/07/2020 08.26, Tom wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> it seems like Thunderbird and Firefox use GTK dialogs for opening and
> saving files by default. To make them use native KDE dialogs the
> environment variable GTK_USE_PORTAL must be set to 1. One way to do that
> is to edit the .desktop files for the applications [1].
>
> Alternatively, the line
>
> export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
>
> can be added in ~/.profile or even globally under /etc/profile.d/.
>
> Would it make sense to add the global export in a package (e.g., a
> branding package)? This should make Firefox and Thunderbird use the KDE
> file dialogs by default for most users. Or would that have any unwanted
> side effects?
What about the people that are not using a KDE desktop?

                (from 15.1 x86_64 at Telcontar)

Re: KDE file dialogs in Thunderbird and Firefox

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> [07-17-20 14:14]:

> On 10/07/2020 08.26, Tom wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > it seems like Thunderbird and Firefox use GTK dialogs for opening and
> > saving files by default. To make them use native KDE dialogs the
> > environment variable GTK_USE_PORTAL must be set to 1. One way to do that
> > is to edit the .desktop files for the applications [1].
> >
> > Alternatively, the line
> >
> > export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
> >
> > can be added in ~/.profile or even globally under /etc/profile.d/.
> >
> > Would it make sense to add the global export in a package (e.g., a
> > branding package)? This should make Firefox and Thunderbird use the KDE
> > file dialogs by default for most users. Or would that have any unwanted
> > side effects?
>
> What about the people that are not using a KDE desktop?

they are not in opensuse-kde, with one exception.

Re: KDE file dialogs in Thunderbird and Firefox

Carlos E. R.-2
On 17/07/2020 22.07, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> [07-17-20 14:14]:
>> On 10/07/2020 08.26, Tom wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> it seems like Thunderbird and Firefox use GTK dialogs for opening and
>>> saving files by default. To make them use native KDE dialogs the
>>> environment variable GTK_USE_PORTAL must be set to 1. One way to do that
>>> is to edit the .desktop files for the applications [1].
>>>
>>> Alternatively, the line
>>>
>>> export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
>>>
>>> can be added in ~/.profile or even globally under /etc/profile.d/.
>>>
>>> Would it make sense to add the global export in a package (e.g., a
>>> branding package)? This should make Firefox and Thunderbird use the KDE
>>> file dialogs by default for most users. Or would that have any unwanted
>>> side effects?
>>
>> What about the people that are not using a KDE desktop?
>
> they are not in opensuse-kde, with one exception.
Which is precisely why I posted the question.

                (from 15.1 x86_64 at Telcontar)

Am 17.07.20 um 20:11 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

> On 10/07/2020 08.26, Tom wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> it seems like Thunderbird and Firefox use GTK dialogs for opening and saving
>> files by default. To make them use native KDE dialogs the environment variable
>> GTK_USE_PORTAL must be set to 1. One way to do that is to edit the .desktop
>> files for the applications [1].
>>
>> Alternatively, the line
>>
>> export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
>>
>> can be added in ~/.profile or even globally under /etc/profile.d/.
>>
>> Would it make sense to add the global export in a package (e.g., a branding
>> package)? This should make Firefox and Thunderbird use the KDE file dialogs by
>> default for most users. Or would that have any unwanted side effects?
>
> What about the people that are not using a KDE desktop?

I do not understand the question I have to say. You want KDE dialogs when not
using KDE?

Wolfgang

Re: KDE file dialogs in Thunderbird and Firefox

Tom Warnke-2
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

> As already indicated, openSUSE's Firefox is patched to use KDE dialogs via
> kmozillahelper.

OK, so the KDE file dialogs are already used automatically for everyone
who has the firefox package. Thus, no need to mess around with
environment variables.

> kmozillahelper supplements packageand(MozillaFirefox:plasma5-desktop), i.e. it
> should get installed automatically if MozillaFirefox *and* plasma5-desktop is
> installed (unless you disable installation of recommended packages).

AFAICS, the only problem left is that the kmozillahelper and the
thunderbird packages have no dependency relation. To fix this, I
submitted a request [1] to automatically install kmozillahelper when
MozillaThunderbird and plasma5-desktop are installed. That should help
people who have the thunderbird package installed, but not the firefox
package.

And now I took so long writing this mail that the request was already
accepted :-)

Best,
Tom

[1] https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/821566

On 17/07/2020 22.44, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 17.07.20 um 20:11 schrieb Carlos E. R.:
>> On 10/07/2020 08.26, Tom wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> it seems like Thunderbird and Firefox use GTK dialogs for opening and saving
>>> files by default. To make them use native KDE dialogs the environment variable
>>> GTK_USE_PORTAL must be set to 1. One way to do that is to edit the .desktop
>>> files for the applications [1].
>>>
>>> Alternatively, the line
>>>
>>> export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
>>>
>>> can be added in ~/.profile or even globally under /etc/profile.d/.
>>>
>>> Would it make sense to add the global export in a package (e.g., a branding
>>> package)? This should make Firefox and Thunderbird use the KDE file dialogs by
>>> default for most users. Or would that have any unwanted side effects?
>>
>> What about the people that are not using a KDE desktop?
>
> I do not understand the question I have to say. You want KDE dialogs when not
> using KDE?
Nononono. The contrary, I do not want KDE dialogs forced on me when not
using KDE, which is what I understand would do setting GTK_USE_PORTAL to
1 in the .desktop file.

I must be mistaken somewhere, so I'm asking :-)

                (from 15.1 x86_64 at Telcontar)

Am 17.07.20 um 22:49 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

> On 17/07/2020 22.44, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> What about the people that are not using a KDE desktop?
>>
>> I do not understand the question I have to say. You want KDE dialogs when not
>> using KDE?
>
> Nononono. The contrary, I do not want KDE dialogs forced on me when not using
> KDE, which is what I understand would do setting GTK_USE_PORTAL to 1 in the
> .desktop file.
>
> I must be mistaken somewhere, so I'm asking :-)

since GTK_USE_PORTAL enables some xdg stuff and xdg (AFAIK) is meant to
standardize Linux desktop things I would expect that GTK_USE_PORTAL going to xdg
would try to use the best match for your desktop.

But probably I'm wrong ;-)

Wolfgang

Re: KDE file dialogs in Thunderbird and Firefox

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> [07-17-20 16:39]:

> On 17/07/2020 22.07, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Carlos E. R. <[hidden email]> [07-17-20 14:14]:

> > > What about the people that are not using a KDE desktop?
> >
> > they are not in opensuse-kde, with one exception.
>
> Which is precisely why I posted the question.

then the question makes no sense to me ????

<quote>
To make them use native KDE dialogs the environment variable
GTK_USE_PORTAL must be set to 1.  One way to do that is to edit the
.desktop files for the applications [1].
</quote>

does not mean that KDE dialogues are imposed on those not using
kde/plasma5.

Am 10.07.20 um 09:57 schrieb Wolfgang Rosenauer:

> Hi,
>
> Am 10.07.20 um 08:26 schrieb Tom:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> it seems like Thunderbird and Firefox use GTK dialogs for opening and
>> saving files by default. To make them use native KDE dialogs the
>> environment variable GTK_USE_PORTAL must be set to 1. One way to do that
>> is to edit the .desktop files for the applications [1].
>>
>> Alternatively, the line
>>
>> export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1
>>
>> can be added in ~/.profile or even globally under /etc/profile.d/.
>>
>> Would it make sense to add the global export in a package (e.g., a
>> branding package)? This should make Firefox and Thunderbird use the KDE
>> file dialogs by default for most users. Or would that have any unwanted
>> side effects?
>
> I have some stupid questions about GTK_USE_PORTAL:
> When I check the Firefox code GTK_USE_PORTAL is already activated for
> Firefox when running in wayland mode.

For your interest:
Leap 15.2
Firefox 78.0.1esr
KDE Plasma 5.18

GTK_USE_PORTAL=1  is set

===> Firefox still does NOT use KDE/Qt file picker, but the GTK one....

Am 21.07.20 um 00:03 schrieb [hidden email]:

>>(.....)
>
> For your interest:
> Leap 15.2
> Firefox 78.0.1esr
> KDE Plasma 5.18
>
> GTK_USE_PORTAL=1  is set
>
> ===> Firefox still does NOT use KDE/Qt file picker, but the GTK one....

damn it....
Faulty apparmor profile, KDE file picker actually works....