KDE crap

James Hatridge
Hi all

I don't know what I did, but this morning when I turned on my system all of my
desktop icons were gone. Normally I have two columns on the left of icons.
After messing with it for over an hour I have a few very small icons randomly
all over my screen.

Can someone tell me how to get it back to the way I had it AND turn off all
this new crap?

Thanks for your help,

JIM

PS I'm using 12.1.

--
Check out my stamp & postcard collection!
Yankee GO HOME!

Check out my online Delcampe store
http://www.delcampe.net/stores/warthogbulletin

Re: KDE crap

Swapnil Bhartiya-3
Can you right click and then choose 'Desktop Settings' or 'Folder View
Settings' Then from there select 'Folder' from layout. Does that solve
the problem?

Arnie

On 04/16/2012 10:42 AM, James Hatridge wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I don't know what I did, but this morning when I turned on my system all of my
> desktop icons were gone. Normally I have two columns on the left of icons.
> After messing with it for over an hour I have a few very small icons randomly
> all over my screen.
>
> Can someone tell me how to get it back to the way I had it AND turn off all
> this new crap?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> JIM
>
> PS I'm using 12.1.

Re: Re: [opensuse] KDE crap

James Hatridge
Hi Arnie,

On Monday, April 16, 2012 01:12:48 PM Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> Can you right click and then choose 'Desktop Settings' or 'Folder View
> Settings' Then from there select 'Folder' from layout. Does that solve
> the problem?
>
> Arnie

I right click on the desktop and get a menu that does not have any of this on
it. What should I be clicking on?

Thanks,

JIM

--
Check out my stamp & postcard collection!
Yankee GO HOME!
Anti-US Propaganda on stamps, postcards, envelopes, and labels
http://yankeegohome.18-t.com/

Check out my online Delcampe store
http://www.delcampe.net/stores/warthogbulletin

Re: wrong KDE desktop

Anders Johansson-4
On Monday 16 April 2012 13:45:52 James Hatridge wrote:

> Hi Arnie,
>
> On Monday, April 16, 2012 01:12:48 PM Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> > Can you right click and then choose 'Desktop Settings' or 'Folder View
> > Settings' Then from there select 'Folder' from layout. Does that solve
> > the problem?
> >
> > Arnie
>
> I right click on the desktop and get a menu that does not have any of this
> on it. What should I be clicking on?

What exactly do you get then?

Maybe you should try "killall nautilus"

Corrected the subject for you

Anders

Re: Re: wrong KDE desktop

James Hatridge
On Monday, April 16, 2012 01:58:32 PM Anders Johansson wrote:

> On Monday 16 April 2012 13:45:52 James Hatridge wrote:
> > Hi Arnie,
> >
> > On Monday, April 16, 2012 01:12:48 PM Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
> > > Can you right click and then choose 'Desktop Settings' or 'Folder
> > > View
> > > Settings' Then from there select 'Folder' from layout. Does that
> > > solve
> > > the problem?
> > >
> > > Arnie
> >
> > I right click on the desktop and get a menu that does not have any of
> > this on it. What should I be clicking on?
>
> What exactly do you get then?
>
> Maybe you should try "killall nautilus"
>
> Corrected the subject for you
>
> Anders

Hi Anders et al,

When I click on the desktop I get the menu with run command, add widgit, etc.
What I want (ie what I had) is just the desktop with columns of icons on the
left. I rebooted so the "killall nautilus" command should not be needed,
right?

Thanks,

JIM

--
Check out my stamp & postcard collection!
Yankee GO HOME!
Anti-US Propaganda on stamps, postcards, envelopes, and labels
http://yankeegohome.18-t.com/

Check out my online Delcampe store
http://www.delcampe.net/stores/warthogbulletin

Re: KDE crap

Ricardo Chung
On Monday, April 16, 2012 10:42:07 AM James Hatridge wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I don't know what I did, but this morning when I turned on my system all of
> my desktop icons were gone. Normally I have two columns on the left of
> icons. After messing with it for over an hour I have a few very small icons
> randomly all over my screen.
>
> Can someone tell me how to get it back to the way I had it AND turn off all
> this new crap?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> JIM
>
> PS I'm using 12.1.

Jim,

Assuming you are working in KDE as subject declares it you should explore this
option to change icon sizes first. Let's try that before other changes (making
icons more visibles).

Menu or Start (lower left corner: Geeko Icon)->Favorites->Configure Desktop-
>Application Appearance->Icons->Advanced Tab->Size (right column) with a drop
down selection button (you could change to 48). This would make your icons
easier to see.

If you get a successful output and satified with it we would go to the next
issue (two column icons presentation). It needs a little more steps denpending
on what are the settings you customized. (Desktop Icon Activity or Desktop
Setting Layout view...like Folder View or any other)

Ricardo Chung | Panama
Linux Ambassador
openSUSE Projects

Re: Re: [opensuse] KDE crap

James Hatridge
Hi Ricardo,

After I rebooted there are no icons on my desktop at all. Also nothing I do
seems to change this. Any ideas?

BTW, I think that my system did an auto update last night. I have it set to do
this. Yesterday there was the small "update waiting" icon in the lower right
corner, today its gone.

Thanks!

JIM

On Monday, April 16, 2012 04:16:22 PM James Hatridge wrote:
> Hi Ricardo,
>
> After I rebooted there are no icons on my desktop at all. Also nothing I do
> seems to change this. Any ideas?

Just to be pretty sure We are fully understanding this issue. Are you able to
reach the general menu (Kickoff Application Launcher)? Could you show us a
desktop snapshot (print screen) and paste it on  http://paste.opensuse.org/
and linking it here?

> BTW, I think that my system did an auto update last night. I have it set to
> do this. Yesterday there was the small "update waiting" icon in the lower
> right corner, today its gone.

Just a small comment. At least you are pretty confident autoupdates is a good
option for your sytems keep them away. It's much better when you go manually
or deciding what is going to change.
> Thanks!

Welcome

> JIM

Ricardo Chung | Panama
Linux Ambassador
openSUSE Projects

Re: Re: [opensuse] KDE crap

James Hatridge
Hi Ricardo,

On Monday, April 16, 2012 10:00:06 AM Ricardo Chung wrote:

> On Monday, April 16, 2012 04:16:22 PM James Hatridge wrote:
> > Hi Ricardo,
> >
> > After I rebooted there are no icons on my desktop at all. Also nothing I
> > do seems to change this. Any ideas?
>
> Just to be pretty sure We are fully understanding this issue. Are you able
> to reach the general menu (Kickoff Application Launcher)? Could you show us
> a desktop snapshot (print screen) and paste it on
> http://paste.opensuse.org/ and linking it here?

http://paste.opensuse.org/54025946

Yes, the general menu works fine and the bar at the  bottom is ok too. As you
can see there are no icons at all on the desktop.

> > BTW, I think that my system did an auto update last night. I have it set
> > to do this. Yesterday there was the small "update waiting" icon in the
> > lower right corner, today its gone.
>
> Just a small comment. At least you are pretty confident autoupdates is a
> good option for your sytems keep them away. It's much better when you go
> manually or deciding what is going to change.

Wellllll up to now I trusted SuSE not to mess up my system. I may have to
rethink that. :(

JIM

--
Check out my stamp & postcard collection!
Yankee GO HOME!
Anti-US Propaganda on stamps, postcards, envelopes, and labels
http://yankeegohome.18-t.com/

Check out my online Delcampe store
http://www.delcampe.net/stores/warthogbulletin

Re: KDE crap

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
On 04/16/12 10:16, James Hatridge pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

> Hi Ricardo,
>
> After I rebooted there are no icons on my desktop at all. Also nothing I do
> seems to change this. Any ideas?
>
> BTW, I think that my system did an auto update last night. I have it set to do
> this. Yesterday there was the small "update waiting" icon in the lower right
> corner, today its gone.
>
> Thanks!
>
> JIM

As was already mentioned:

right click on desktop-->configure desktop-->unlock widgets-->change to
folder view

And let us know what changed (another pastebin).

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

Re: KDE crap

JC Francois
On 16/04/12 17:24, James Hatridge wrote:

> Hi Ricardo,
>
> On Monday, April 16, 2012 10:00:06 AM Ricardo Chung wrote:
>> On Monday, April 16, 2012 04:16:22 PM James Hatridge wrote:
>>> Hi Ricardo,
>>>
>>> After I rebooted there are no icons on my desktop at all. Also nothing I
>>> do seems to change this. Any ideas?
>>
>> Just to be pretty sure We are fully understanding this issue. Are you able
>> to reach the general menu (Kickoff Application Launcher)? Could you show us
>> a desktop snapshot (print screen) and paste it on
>> http://paste.opensuse.org/ and linking it here?
>
> http://paste.opensuse.org/54025946
>
> Yes, the general menu works fine and the bar at the  bottom is ok too. As you
> can see there are no icons at all on the desktop.

You or the update process may have switched the Activity that you are using.

Can you click on the three coloured dots (red, blue, green) on the left
side of the bottom panel and check if you have a "Destop Icons"
activity. If you do, select it and see if your icons come back.

Re: Re: KDE crap

James Hatridge
On Monday, April 16, 2012 05:34:54 PM JC Francois wrote:

> On 16/04/12 17:24, James Hatridge wrote:
> > Hi Ricardo,

> >> Just to be pretty sure We are fully understanding this issue. Are you
> >> able to reach the general menu (Kickoff Application Launcher)? Could
> >> you show us a desktop snapshot (print screen) and paste it on
> >> http://paste.opensuse.org/ and linking it here?
> >
> > http://paste.opensuse.org/54025946
> >
> > Yes, the general menu works fine and the bar at the  bottom is ok too.
> > As you can see there are no icons at all on the desktop.
>
> You or the update process may have switched the Activity that you are using.
>
> Can you click on the three coloured dots (red, blue, green) on the left
> side of the bottom panel and check if you have a "Destop Icons"
> activity. If you do, select it and see if your icons come back.

HI,

I did this and got very small icons, but only the icons for the programms
running in the bar at the bottom, plus the bar went blank. Not a good thing!

Thanks!

JIM

On Monday, April 16, 2012 05:46:04 PM James Hatridge wrote:

> On Monday, April 16, 2012 05:34:54 PM JC Francois wrote:
> > On 16/04/12 17:24, James Hatridge wrote:
> > > Hi Ricardo,

> > > http://paste.opensuse.org/54025946
> > >
> > > Yes, the general menu works fine and the bar at the  bottom is ok
> > > too.
> > > As you can see there are no icons at all on the desktop.
> >
> > You or the update process may have switched the Activity that you are
> > using.
> >
> > Can you click on the three coloured dots (red, blue, green) on the left
> > side of the bottom panel and check if you have a "Destop Icons"
> > activity. If you do, select it and see if your icons come back.
>
> HI,
>
> I did this and got very small icons, but only the icons for the programms
> running in the bar at the bottom, plus the bar went blank. Not a good thing!
>
> Thanks!
>
> JIM

Jim,

Just to increase the icon sizes on Botton Panel (Botton Bar)

Menu or Start (lower left corner: Geeko Icon)->Favorites->Configure Desktop->
Application Appearance->Icons->Advanced Tab->Use of Icons (left column)
highlighting Panel and then go to Size (right column) with a drop
down selection button (you could change it to 32). This would make your icons
bigger on panel. That should make the trick for you.

Ricardo Chung | Panama
Linux Ambassador
openSUSE Projects

Re: Re: Re: Re: KDE crap

James Hatridge
HI Ricardo,

The thing is there is no icons at all. So it does not help to make them
bigger.

Thanks,

JIM

--
Check out my stamp & postcard collection!
Yankee GO HOME!
Anti-US Propaganda on stamps, postcards, envelopes, and labels
http://yankeegohome.18-t.com/

Check out my online Delcampe store
http://www.delcampe.net/stores/warthogbulletin

Re: Re: KDE crap

Mike-207
On Monday, April 16, 2012 11:10:15 AM Ricardo Chung wrote:

> On Monday, April 16, 2012 05:46:04 PM James Hatridge wrote:

> > > You or the update process may have switched the Activity that you are
> > > using.
> > >
> > > Can you click on the three coloured dots (red, blue, green) on the left
> > > side of the bottom panel and check if you have a "Destop Icons"
> > > activity. If you do, select it and see if your icons come back.
> >
> > HI,
> >
> > I did this and got very small icons, but only the icons for the programms
> > running in the bar at the bottom, plus the bar went blank. Not a good
> > thing!
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > JIM
>
> Jim,
>
> Just to increase the icon sizes on Botton Panel (Botton Bar)
>
> Menu or Start (lower left corner: Geeko Icon)->Favorites->Configure
> Desktop-> Application Appearance->Icons->Advanced Tab->Use of Icons (left
> column) highlighting Panel and then go to Size (right column) with a drop
> down selection button (you could change it to 32). This would make your
> icons bigger on panel. That should make the trick for you.

He's talking about icons on the desktop, not on the panel. As shown in the
picture, the icons on the desktop are gone.

Mike

Re: Re: wrong KDE desktop

Thomas Taylor
On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:18:38 +0200
James Hatridge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday, April 16, 2012 01:58:32 PM Anders Johansson wrote:
> > On Monday 16 April 2012 13:45:52 James Hatridge wrote:
> > > Hi Arnie,

> > > I right click on the desktop and get a menu that does not have any of
> > > this on it. What should I be clicking on?
> >
> > What exactly do you get then?
> >
> > Maybe you should try "killall nautilus"
> >
> > Corrected the subject for you
> >
> > Anders
>
> Hi Anders et al,
>
> When I click on the desktop I get the menu with run command, add widgit, etc.
> What I want (ie what I had) is just the desktop with columns of icons on the
> left. I rebooted so the "killall nautilus" command should not be needed,
> right?
>
> Thanks,
>
> JIM

Hi Jim;
What Anders meant was to click on the actual desktop, not the desktop widget in
the upper right corner.
Image:[url=http://www.hostmyjpg.com][img]http://www.hostmyjpg.com/images/9f48940790_desktop.png[/img][/url]

Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin
openSUSE 12.1x86_64     openSUSE 12.2x86_64