KDE:Distro:Stable is now openSUSE 12.2

Dirk Müller

Hi,

as a preparation of the openSUSE 12.2 announcement I've merged my latest
maintenance update for 12.2 to KDE:Distro:Stable.

Publishing is currently disabled, once it built and I was able to test it I'll
enable it.

KDE:Distro:Factory is now open for some KDE 4.9 merging fun. Anyone interested
in helping with that?

Thanks,
Dirk

Re: KDE:Distro:Stable is now openSUSE 12.2

Will Stephenson-2
On Thursday 30 Aug 2012 15:27:18 Dirk Müller wrote:
> as a preparation of the openSUSE 12.2 announcement I've merged my latest
> maintenance update for 12.2 to KDE:Distro:Stable.

Thanks for taking care of this.

> Publishing is currently disabled, once it built and I was able to test it
> I'll enable it.

Looks like it's still building as of Saturday night.  I'll check again in the
morning

> KDE:Distro:Factory is now open for some KDE 4.9 merging fun. Anyone
> interested in helping with that?

Yes, I'll be able to work on that next week.

I'd also like to start planning 12.3 features and get people committed to
working on and integrating them early.

Will

--
Will Stephenson, openSUSE Board, Booster, KDE Developer
(AG Nürnberg)

Re: KDE:Distro:Stable is now openSUSE 12.2

todd rme
On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Will Stephenson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thursday 30 Aug 2012 15:27:18 Dirk Müller wrote:
>> KDE:Distro:Factory is now open for some KDE 4.9 merging fun. Anyone
>> interested in helping with that?
>
> Yes, I'll be able to work on that next week.

Please hold off on this.  I want to get 4.9.1 in first.  There are a
lot of fixed backported from 4.9.1 that will need to be removed, so I
think it is better to do that before merging rather than after, so we
don't have to keep rebuilding it.

-Todd

wrote:

> > On Thursday 30 Aug 2012 15:27:18 Dirk Müller wrote:
> >> KDE:Distro:Factory is now open for some KDE 4.9 merging fun. Anyone
> >> interested in helping with that?
> >
> > Yes, I'll be able to work on that next week.
>
> Please hold off on this.  I want to get 4.9.1 in first.  There are a
> lot of fixed backported from 4.9.1 that will need to be removed, so I
> think it is better to do that before merging rather than after, so we
> don't have to keep rebuilding it.

How are you getting on with updating to 4.9.1 in KR49?

Dirk has a scripts to update KDF to the latest tarballs, so if updating is
taking a while, another option would be to copy KR49 to KDF now, make KR49
into links and do the version bump in KDF.

Will

--
Will Stephenson, openSUSE Board, Booster, KDE Developer
(AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

Re: KDE:Distro:Stable is now openSUSE 12.2

Basil Chupin-2
On 04/09/12 01:14, Will Stephenson wrote:

> On Monday 03 Sep 2012 08:40:27 todd rme wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Will Stephenson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>> Yes, I'll be able to work on that next week.
>> Please hold off on this.  I want to get 4.9.1 in first.  There are a
>> lot of fixed backported from 4.9.1 that will need to be removed, so I
>> think it is better to do that before merging rather than after, so we
>> don't have to keep rebuilding it.
>
> How are you getting on with updating to 4.9.1 in KR49?
>
> Dirk has a scripts to update KDF to the latest tarballs, so if updating is
> taking a while, another option would be to copy KR49 to KDF now, make KR49
> into links and do the version bump in KDF.
>
> Will

Will, in about 1/2 hour instead of going to a warm bed (it's 0125 hours
here) I am going to begin a 'dup --from.." this repo:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/49/openSUSE_12.2/

to get KDE 4.9.

Is this repo the correct one to get KDE 4.9? (all this talk about "KR49
to KDF' etc is confusing the hell out of me :-( .

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.5.3-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Re: KDE:Distro:Stable is now openSUSE 12.2

Freek de Kruijf-2
On maandag 3 september 2012 17:14:27 Will Stephenson wrote:

> On Monday 03 Sep 2012 08:40:27 todd rme wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Will Stephenson <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I'll be able to work on that next week.
> >
> > Please hold off on this.  I want to get 4.9.1 in first.  There are a
> > lot of fixed backported from 4.9.1 that will need to be removed, so I
> > think it is better to do that before merging rather than after, so we
> > don't have to keep rebuilding it.
>
> How are you getting on with updating to 4.9.1 in KR49?
>
> Dirk has a scripts to update KDF to the latest tarballs, so if updating is
> taking a while, another option would be to copy KR49 to KDF now, make KR49
> into links and do the version bump in KDF.

I am confused. The subject is about  KDE:Distro:Stable, so KDS. The message is
about KDF (KDE:Distro:Factory). So what are we talking about?

--
fr.gr.

Freek de Kruijf

Re: KDE:Distro:Stable is now openSUSE 12.2

Sven Burmeister
Am Montag, 3. September 2012, 18:05:19 schrieb Freek de Kruijf:
> I am confused. The subject is about  KDE:Distro:Stable, so KDS. The message
> is about KDF (KDE:Distro:Factory). So what are we talking about?

As the first email in thread states, the content of KDF was moved to KDS. So
now KDF is open for a more recent KDE version, i.e. KDE 4.9 which is currently
only available in KR49. Thus the content of KR49 will be moved to KDF.

Sven

Re: KDE:Distro:Stable is now openSUSE 12.2

Rajko M.
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 01:26:33 +1000
Basil Chupin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/49/openSUSE_12.2/
>
> to get KDE 4.9.

Yes.

> Is this repo the correct one to get KDE 4.9? (all this talk about
> "KR49 to KDF' etc is confusing the hell out of me :-( .

Since introduction of a numbered release repo it should be easy to get
what it means and to find each, even with strange characters in the
repo name and lack of dot.

KDE Release 4.9  -->  KDE:/Release:/49/  -->  KR49

And if you don't know what is KDF then apply the same rule you use when
you read page written in a foreign language, either translate it, or
skip.

--
Regards, Rajko

Re: KDE:Distro:Stable is now openSUSE 12.2

Nico Kruber-2
On Monday 03 Sep 2012 17:14:27 Will Stephenson wrote:

> On Monday 03 Sep 2012 08:40:27 todd rme wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Will Stephenson <[hidden email]>
>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, I'll be able to work on that next week.
> >
> > Please hold off on this.  I want to get 4.9.1 in first.  There are a
> > lot of fixed backported from 4.9.1 that will need to be removed, so I
> > think it is better to do that before merging rather than after, so we
> > don't have to keep rebuilding it.
>
> How are you getting on with updating to 4.9.1 in KR49?

I don't know what todd has done so far, but I don't see any changes in the 49
repo - at least it finally published a working snapshot for all distros before
the next build cycle ;)

> Dirk has a scripts to update KDF to the latest tarballs

I don't have access to the final packages neither do I have a script to update
them. Todd did so manually last time which is a lot of unnecessary work if
there are scripts for this somewhere.
I would have written some myself before attempting to update all packages
manually - these script should be uploaded to OBS (e.g. into the kdebase4
package?) or somewhere else.

> if updating is
> taking a while, another option would be to copy KR49 to KDF now, make KR49
> into links and do the version bump in KDF.

I'd second that
but in the end it doesn't matter which repo is updated first - only make sure
only one repo is building at the same time in order to keep the build time for
a complete 4.9.1 as short as possible. So after e.g. making KR49 into (fixed)
links, it could temporarily set to build disabled until KDF finishes building
4.9.1

Nico

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Will Stephenson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday 03 Sep 2012 08:40:27 todd rme wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Will Stephenson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> >
>> > Yes, I'll be able to work on that next week.
>>
>> Please hold off on this.  I want to get 4.9.1 in first.  There are a
>> lot of fixed backported from 4.9.1 that will need to be removed, so I
>> think it is better to do that before merging rather than after, so we
>> don't have to keep rebuilding it.
>

> How are you getting on with updating to 4.9.1 in KR49?

I haven't been able to do it yet, since everyone seemed to agree that
we should let it finish building first.

> Dirk has a scripts to update KDF to the latest tarballs, so if updating is
> taking a while, another option would be to copy KR49 to KDF now, make KR49
> into links and do the version bump in KDF.

Do you know where I can get these scripts?

-Todd

Re: KDE:Distro:Stable is now openSUSE 12.2

todd rme
On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Will Stephenson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday 03 Sep 2012 08:40:27 todd rme wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM, Will Stephenson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> >
>> > Yes, I'll be able to work on that next week.
>>
>> Please hold off on this.  I want to get 4.9.1 in first.  There are a
>> lot of fixed backported from 4.9.1 that will need to be removed, so I
>> think it is better to do that before merging rather than after, so we
>> don't have to keep rebuilding it.
>
> another option would be to copy KR49 to KDF now, make KR49
> into links and do the version bump in KDF.
>
> Will

The problem is I don't have write access to KDF, while I do to KR49,
so on KR49 I can get the updating done right away, while with KDF I
have to wait for someone else to approve the update to 4.9, then wait
again for someone to approve the update to 4.9.1.  If someone can give
me access to KDF I could do it there.

-Todd

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM, todd rme <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Will Stephenson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Monday 03 Sep 2012 08:40:27 todd rme wrote:

>>> Please hold off on this.  I want to get 4.9.1 in first.  There are a
>>> lot of fixed backported from 4.9.1 that will need to be removed, so I
>>> think it is better to do that before merging rather than after, so we
>>> don't have to keep rebuilding it.
>>
>> another option would be to copy KR49 to KDF now, make KR49
>> into links and do the version bump in KDF.
>>
>> Will
>
> The problem is I don't have write access to KDF, while I do to KR49,
> so on KR49 I can get the updating done right away, while with KDF I
> have to wait for someone else to approve the update to 4.9, then wait
> again for someone to approve the update to 4.9.1.  If someone can give
> me access to KDF I could do it there.

4.9.1 has been submitted to KR49.

-Todd

Am Dienstag, 4. September 2012, 11:33:25 schrieb todd rme:
> 4.9.1 has been submitted to KR49.

Great!

Could you please disable publishing for Extra + KR49? Otherwise people will
run into dependency issues when updating to packages built against 4.9.1
before 4.9.1 has been published.

Sven

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Sven Burmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 4. September 2012, 11:33:25 schrieb todd rme:
>> 4.9.1 has been submitted to KR49.
>
> Great!
>
> Could you please disable publishing for Extra + KR49? Otherwise people will
> run into dependency issues when updating to packages built against 4.9.1
> before 4.9.1 has been published.

Done, for KUPlayground also.

-Todd

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM, todd rme <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Sven Burmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am Dienstag, 4. September 2012, 11:33:25 schrieb todd rme:
>>> 4.9.1 has been submitted to KR49.
>>
>> Great!
>>
>> Could you please disable publishing for Extra + KR49? Otherwise people will
>> run into dependency issues when updating to packages built against 4.9.1
>> before 4.9.1 has been published.
>
> Done, for KUPlayground also.
>
> -Todd

KDE SC 4.9 is officially released, so I am re-enabling publishing for
all repos.  If possible, please keep KDF as-is and don't make any
changes to KR49 unless it fixes a build failure until the initial
build is published.  Thanks.  Once publishing is complete I will begin
submitting to KDF, then we can begin making improvements in KDF.

-Todd

On Tuesday 04 September 2012, todd rme wrote:

> KDE SC 4.9 is officially released, so I am re-enabling publishing for
> all repos.  If possible, please keep KDF as-is and don't make any
> changes to KR49 unless it fixes a build failure until the initial
> build is published.  Thanks.  Once publishing is complete I will begin
> submitting to KDF, then we can begin making improvements in KDF.

Hi,

since KR49 has published, I've started to look at your KDE 4.9.1 work (thanks
a ton for that!) and handpick it into KDF.

work in progress, publishing is disabled for KDF.

Greetings,

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Dirk Müller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 04 September 2012, todd rme wrote:
>
>> KDE SC 4.9 is officially released, so I am re-enabling publishing for
>> all repos.  If possible, please keep KDF as-is and don't make any
>> changes to KR49 unless it fixes a build failure until the initial
>> build is published.  Thanks.  Once publishing is complete I will begin
>> submitting to KDF, then we can begin making improvements in KDF.
>
> Hi,
>
> since KR49 has published, I've started to look at your KDE 4.9.1 work (thanks
> a ton for that!) and handpick it into KDF.
>
> work in progress, publishing is disabled for KDF.
>
> Greetings,
> Dirk

Why has building in KR49 been disable?  4.9.1 has not been published there yet.

-Todd

On Wednesday 05 Sep 2012 17:48:33 todd rme wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Dirk Müller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 September 2012, todd rme wrote:
> >> KDE SC 4.9 is officially released, so I am re-enabling publishing for
> >> all repos.  If possible, please keep KDF as-is and don't make any
> >> changes to KR49 unless it fixes a build failure until the initial
> >> build is published.  Thanks.  Once publishing is complete I will begin
> >> submitting to KDF, then we can begin making improvements in KDF.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > since KR49 has published, I've started to look at your KDE 4.9.1 work
> > (thanks a ton for that!) and handpick it into KDF.
> >
> > work in progress, publishing is disabled for KDF.
> >
> > Greetings,
> > Dirk
>
> Why has building in KR49 been disable?
> 4.9.1 has not been published there yet.

I thought so, too, but apparently it was published - I can confirm this at
least for openSUSE 12.1, x86_64

Nico

Am Mittwoch, 5. September 2012, 17:48:33 schrieb todd rme:
> Why has building in KR49 been disable?  4.9.1 has not been published there
> yet.

Just re-enable it . And I hope Dirk talks to the obs staff to get increased
build priority for KR49 and minimise the impact of his mistake. KR49 was close
to being finished for 12.1 and now we have yet another delay!

Sven

Am Mittwoch, 5. September 2012, 18:08:10 schrieb Nico Kruber:
> > Why has building in KR49 been disable?
> > 4.9.1 has not been published there yet.
>
> I thought so, too, but apparently it was published - I can confirm this at
> least for openSUSE 12.1, x86_64

There are a lot of 4.9.0 packages for 12.2 in the repos mixed with 4.9.1
packages. So why not simply let it finish building for all distro versions
before changing anything in the repo config?

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/49/openSUSE_12.2/i586/

Sven