K3B doesn't complete write verification

Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster
I have this odd problem with K3B (using openSUSE 10.3 x86_64) and I'm
not sure why. I'm hoping someone can shed light on this.

I can burn CDs with K3B, but when I check the write verification box,
the program freezes when the write verification begins. Data on the disc
is burned properly, but the app hangs.

KDE, the kernel, etc. appears to be unaffected.

I do have packman as a repository, and I'm wondering if the problem lies
somewhere in there, but I don't know.

Ideas?

--
Jason Bailey, Web/IT Administrator
Sun Advocate / Emery County Progress

Re: K3B doesn't complete write verification

Joe Morris
On 05/28/2008 06:48 AM, Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster wrote:

> I have this odd problem with K3B (using openSUSE 10.3 x86_64) and I'm
> not sure why. I'm hoping someone can shed light on this.
>
> I can burn CDs with K3B, but when I check the write verification box,
> the program freezes when the write verification begins. Data on the
> disc is burned properly, but the app hangs.
>
> KDE, the kernel, etc. appears to be unaffected.
>
> I do have packman as a repository, and I'm wondering if the problem
> lies somewhere in there, but I don't know.
>
> Ideas?

Do you have the option checked in the settings "Do not eject medium
after write process" under Advanced?  It would need to reset the drive
and medium to be able to read the disc to verify after writing, which it
would normally do via ejecting.  If it is set to not eject, you would
need to do this ejecting manually.  Perhaps the program is not freezing,
it may be waiting for you to eject manually.  For example, my case has a
see through cover that closes over the dvd writer, so I have disabled
the auto eject in case it tries to eject with this door closed.  HTH.

--
Joe Morris

Re: K3B doesn't complete write verification

Jim Henderson-4
On Tue, 27 May 2008 16:48:26 -0600, Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster
wrote:

> I have this odd problem with K3B (using openSUSE 10.3 x86_64) and I'm
> not sure why. I'm hoping someone can shed light on this.
>
> I can burn CDs with K3B, but when I check the write verification box,
> the program freezes when the write verification begins. Data on the disc
> is burned properly, but the app hangs.
>
> KDE, the kernel, etc. appears to be unaffected.
>
> I do have packman as a repository, and I'm wondering if the problem lies
> somewhere in there, but I don't know.
>
> Ideas?

No ideas here, but I can confirm the same behaviour here on my 64-bit
machine.  Been burning a *lot* of discs the last few days, thanks to the
mention of ManDVD, and I've gotten to the point of telling it not to
verify as a result of the hangs.  My DVD burner is a tray load that
ejects/loads automatically; it did the first couple of discs fine, then
it quit, just ejects the tray and hangs up.

I'm also using the build from packman.  I can kill the program and
restart it and that works OK as well.

Jim

Re: Re: K3B doesn't complete write verification

Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2008 16:48:26 -0600, Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster
> wrote:
>
>> I have this odd problem with K3B (using openSUSE 10.3 x86_64) and I'm
>> not sure why. I'm hoping someone can shed light on this.
>>
>> I can burn CDs with K3B, but when I check the write verification box,
>> the program freezes when the write verification begins. Data on the disc
>> is burned properly, but the app hangs.
>>
>> KDE, the kernel, etc. appears to be unaffected.
>>
>> I do have packman as a repository, and I'm wondering if the problem lies
>> somewhere in there, but I don't know.
>>
>> Ideas?
>
> No ideas here, but I can confirm the same behaviour here on my 64-bit
> machine.  Been burning a *lot* of discs the last few days, thanks to the
> mention of ManDVD, and I've gotten to the point of telling it not to
> verify as a result of the hangs.  My DVD burner is a tray load that
> ejects/loads automatically; it did the first couple of discs fine, then
> it quit, just ejects the tray and hangs up.
>
> I'm also using the build from packman.  I can kill the program and
> restart it and that works OK as well.
>
> Jim

K3B actually hangs on an X11 level. The whole thing becomes a large
white blob with window decorations (un-drawn, unreadable). I can
minimize the program and continue working, but I end up having to xkill K3B.

I don't think this is a force tray eject option. It worked perfectly
fine before I added the packman repository. Not sure if it's the packman
K3B build or a dependency that the stock openSUSE doesn't come with.

Re: K3B doesn't complete write verification

Jim Henderson-4
On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:31:56 -0600, Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster
wrote:

> K3B actually hangs on an X11 level. The whole thing becomes a large
> white blob with window decorations (un-drawn, unreadable). I can
> minimize the program and continue working, but I end up having to xkill
> K3B.

I don't know that it's X specifically, but it's definitely something
blocking...

> I don't think this is a force tray eject option. It worked perfectly
> fine before I added the packman repository. Not sure if it's the packman
> K3B build or a dependency that the stock openSUSE doesn't come with.

I would agree, but it's not something related to the packman repo itself
- I didn't install anything between when it was working and when it
wasn't - and I always set up packman as a default repo on my systems.
It's definitely something in the app.

Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:31:56 -0600, Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster
> wrote:
>
>> K3B actually hangs on an X11 level. The whole thing becomes a large
>> white blob with window decorations (un-drawn, unreadable). I can
>> minimize the program and continue working, but I end up having to xkill
>> K3B.
>
> I don't know that it's X specifically, but it's definitely something
> blocking...
>
>> I don't think this is a force tray eject option. It worked perfectly
>> fine before I added the packman repository. Not sure if it's the packman
>> K3B build or a dependency that the stock openSUSE doesn't come with.
>
> I would agree, but it's not something related to the packman repo itself
> - I didn't install anything between when it was working and when it
> wasn't - and I always set up packman as a default repo on my systems.
> It's definitely something in the app.
>
> Jim

All I know is that it worked before I added packman. Maybe the version
included in packman (which is obviously newer than the one that came
with opensuse 10.3) has a bug. That is what you are getting at, correct?

Re: K3B doesn't complete write verification

Jim Henderson-4
On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:47:27 -0600, Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster
wrote:

> All I know is that it worked before I added packman. Maybe the version
> included in packman (which is obviously newer than the one that came
> with opensuse 10.3) has a bug. That is what you are getting at, correct?

Yes, that's my guess.  The odd thing is that I did actually get a few
burns that verified properly on version 1.0.4 from Packman.  The 10.3
repos say that the version there is 1.0.3.

I don't find anything on my system to say when the package was updated,
but I believe I've been running this version (1.0.4) for a while now.

Jim

Re: Re: K3B doesn't complete write verification

kanenas
On Tuesday 27 May 2008 02:56:25 pm Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:47:27 -0600, Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster
>
> wrote:
> > All I know is that it worked before I added packman. Maybe the version
> > included in packman (which is obviously newer than the one that came
> > with opensuse 10.3) has a bug. That is what you are getting at, correct?
>
> Yes, that's my guess.  The odd thing is that I did actually get a few
> burns that verified properly on version 1.0.4 from Packman.  The 10.3
> repos say that the version there is 1.0.3.
>
> I don't find anything on my system to say when the package was updated,
> but I believe I've been running this version (1.0.4) for a while now.
>
> Jim

If anyone is looking for another testimony on the k3b verification difficulty,
I would like to add my obsevations as well. had to stop "veryfying" about 6-8
months ago, otherwise a cd/dvd write would result in a coaster...
d.

On Tue, 27 May 2008 22:26:58 -1000, kanenas-4S9g3957RhF54TAoqtyWWQ wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 May 2008 02:56:25 pm Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:47:27 -0600, Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate
>> Webmaster
>>
>> wrote:
>> > All I know is that it worked before I added packman. Maybe the
>> > version included in packman (which is obviously newer than the one
>> > that came with opensuse 10.3) has a bug. That is what you are getting
>> > at, correct?
>>
>> Yes, that's my guess.  The odd thing is that I did actually get a few
>> burns that verified properly on version 1.0.4 from Packman.  The 10.3
>> repos say that the version there is 1.0.3.
>>
>> I don't find anything on my system to say when the package was updated,
>> but I believe I've been running this version (1.0.4) for a while now.
>>
>> Jim
>
> If anyone is looking for another testimony on the k3b verification
> difficulty, I would like to add my obsevations as well. had to stop
> "veryfying" about 6-8 months ago, otherwise a cd/dvd write would result
> in a coaster... d.

Weird, I've not had any coasters come out as a result of verification
(which shouldn't write anything new to the disc).  Can't argue with your
experience, but it sounds like something else was going on there...

Jim

Re: Re: K3B doesn't complete write verification

Ed McCanless
Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 May 2008 18:31:56 -0600, Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster
>> wrote:
>>
>>> K3B actually hangs on an X11 level. The whole thing becomes a large
>>> white blob with window decorations (un-drawn, unreadable). I can
>>> minimize the program and continue working, but I end up having to xkill
>>> K3B.
>>
>> I don't know that it's X specifically, but it's definitely something
>> blocking...
>>
>>> I don't think this is a force tray eject option. It worked perfectly
>>> fine before I added the packman repository. Not sure if it's the
>>> packman
>>> K3B build or a dependency that the stock openSUSE doesn't come with.
>>
>> I would agree, but it's not something related to the packman repo
>> itself - I didn't install anything between when it was working and
>> when it wasn't - and I always set up packman as a default repo on my
>> systems.  It's definitely something in the app.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> All I know is that it worked before I added packman. Maybe the version
> included in packman (which is obviously newer than the one that came
> with opensuse 10.3) has a bug. That is what you are getting at, correct?

I had this problem months ago, and cleared it up by using Joe's
suggestion to check the option "Do not eject medium after write process".

Every burn since has gon without a hitch. and I too use the Packman repo.

                                                    -ED-