Just a little question

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2
Hi guys!

Just a little question:

Now that we move to berlios and I see some translations being made
(ja, ru, hu) how the corrections are propagated to the translated
xmls?

For example:

yast-repair was dropped from openSUSE and the en xmls where corrected today:

http://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/opensuse-doc/trunk/?op=revision&rev=2272&peg=2272

How this change (or any other) will be propagated to its counterparts
on ja, hu, etc?

Will be some automatic way or translate teams should make a diff from
time to time and include the changes by hand?

Regards,

Luiz

Re: Just a little question

Frank Sundermeyer
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:46:45 -0200 Luiz Fernando Ranghetti wrote:

Hi,

> Now that we move to berlios and I see some translations being made
> (ja, ru, hu) how the corrections are propagated to the translated
> xmls?
>
> For example:
>
> yast-repair was dropped from openSUSE and the en xmls where corrected
> today:
>
> http://svn.berlios.de/wsvn/opensuse-doc/trunk/?op=revision&rev=2272&peg=2272
>
> How this change (or any other) will be propagated to its counterparts
> on ja, hu, etc?
>
> Will be some automatic way or translate teams should make a diff from
> time to time and include the changes by hand?

at the moment we do not have any automated propagation, manual diffs
need to be made.

However, when working on a new openSUSE release, we are using a
mechanism that will probably help you when translating the manuals:

We are using SVN properties to mark the status of the files (check with
svn pl -v on an xml file). At the beginning of a project, these
properties are reset. The most important one for you as a translator is
probably doc:status. It can have the following states:

editing:   work in progress
edited:    editor has finished the file, still needs to be proofed
proofing:  file is currently proofed
comments:  proofreader found errors that need to be solved by the editor
proofed:   file is ready for being published
locdrop:   file has been sent to Novell translation services (German)

Once a file is ready for being published, it is set to "proofed".

The susedoc package contains a program called docmaker
(/usr/share/susedoc/bin/dm.py), which can be used to query these stati.
We even provide some aliases that make it easier to use. They are
available once you source an ENV file. The alias "dmproofed" for
example, lists all files with doc:status set to "proofed" (for the
project/manual represented by the ENV file).

Let us know if you have additional requirements to make translations
more easy - we will try to help you as best as we can.

On the other hand, do not hesitate to share how you do the openSUSE
manuals translations - maybe others can benefit from your knowledge!

--
Regards
        Frank

Frank Sundermeyer, Technical Writer, Documentation
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409 Nuernberg
Tel: +49-911-74053-0, Fax: +49-911-7417755;  http://www.opensuse.org/
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)

Re: Just a little question

Luiz Fernando Ranghetti-2
Hi,

Well I use a workflow like this:

1 - Convert the .xml files to .po files (the format that our team
knows how to translate)
2 - Separate the .po files according to the manual it belongs
(quickguides, kde user, gnome user, startup, common files)
3 - The team do their job ;-)
4 - I convert back from .po to translated .xml
5 - I run susedoc to create the packages

And between 3 and 4 its possible to update the .po files using a newer
svn revision.

We use vertaal (http://www.vertaal.com.ar/projects/opensuse-guides/)
to help in this task. In this site the translator can mark a file he
is working on it.

Regards,

Luiz