Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Robert Smits
Some years ago I used my home gardening program, Key Home Gardener, which was
a 16 bit Windows program, to lay out my lot, my septic system, and my
landscaping. It produces files in a .drw format, which is a Microsoft vector
format.

Is there any Linux based program that will allow me to view my .drw files?

--
Bob Smits Ph 250-245-2553 Fax 250-245-5531 E-mail [hidden email]

Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

ianseeks

 On Wednesday 25 Jul 2007, Robert Smits wrote:
> Some years ago I used my home gardening program, Key Home Gardener, which
> was a 16 bit Windows program, to lay out my lot, my septic system, and my
> landscaping. It produces files in a .drw format, which is a Microsoft
> vector format.
>
> Is there any Linux based program that will allow me to view my .drw files?

Have you tried installing your program (if you still have the disks) under
Wine on Linux?

Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

James Knott
Robert Smits wrote:
> Some years ago I used my home gardening program, Key Home Gardener, which was
> a 16 bit Windows program, to lay out my lot, my septic system, and my
> landscaping. It produces files in a .drw format, which is a Microsoft vector
> format.
>
> Is there any Linux based program that will allow me to view my .drw files?

Probably not.  However, if you still have that app, you may try running
it in Wine.

On July 25, 2007 01:38:27 pm ianseeks wrote:

>  On Wednesday 25 Jul 2007, Robert Smits wrote:
> > Some years ago I used my home gardening program, Key Home Gardener, which
> > was a 16 bit Windows program, to lay out my lot, my septic system, and my
> > landscaping. It produces files in a .drw format, which is a Microsoft
> > vector format.
> >
> > Is there any Linux based program that will allow me to view my .drw
> > files?
>
> Have you tried installing your program (if you still have the disks) under
> Wine on Linux?

Yes. Apparently there's enough difference with a 16 bit program (written for
Windows 3.1) not to install with CrossOver Linux.

--
Bob Smits Ph 250-245-2553 Fax 250-245-5531 E-mail [hidden email]

Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Dennis E. Slice
Nothing to add, but all the more reason to reject proprietary formats
that lock up your work. -ds

Robert Smits wrote:

> On July 25, 2007 01:38:27 pm ianseeks wrote:
>>  On Wednesday 25 Jul 2007, Robert Smits wrote:
>>> Some years ago I used my home gardening program, Key Home Gardener, which
>>> was a 16 bit Windows program, to lay out my lot, my septic system, and my
>>> landscaping. It produces files in a .drw format, which is a Microsoft
>>> vector format.
>>>
>>> Is there any Linux based program that will allow me to view my .drw
>>> files?
>> Have you tried installing your program (if you still have the disks) under
>> Wine on Linux?
>
> Yes. Apparently there's enough difference with a 16 bit program (written for
> Windows 3.1) not to install with CrossOver Linux.

--
Dennis E. Slice
Department of Anthropology
University of Vienna

Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Ciro Iriarte
2007/7/25, Robert Smits <[hidden email]>:

> On July 25, 2007 01:38:27 pm ianseeks wrote:
> >  On Wednesday 25 Jul 2007, Robert Smits wrote:
> > > Some years ago I used my home gardening program, Key Home Gardener, which
> > > was a 16 bit Windows program, to lay out my lot, my septic system, and my
> > > landscaping. It produces files in a .drw format, which is a Microsoft
> > > vector format.
> > >
> > > Is there any Linux based program that will allow me to view my .drw
> > > files?
> >
> > Have you tried installing your program (if you still have the disks) under
> > Wine on Linux?
>
> Yes. Apparently there's enough difference with a 16 bit program (written for
> Windows 3.1) not to install with CrossOver Linux.
>
> --
> Bob Smits Ph 250-245-2553 Fax 250-245-5531 E-mail [hidden email]

Try with plain Wine.

Ciro

Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

James Hatridge
HI Bob et al...
On Wednesday 25 July 2007 22:27, Robert Smits wrote:
> Some years ago I used my home gardening program, Key Home Gardener, which
> was a 16 bit Windows program, to lay out my lot, my septic system, and my
> landscaping. It produces files in a .drw format, which is a Microsoft
> vector format.
>
> Is there any Linux based program that will allow me to view my .drw files?

Why not try VMware and run 3.1 on it? That should work.

JIM

--
Jim Hatridge
Linux User #88484

      Many Enemies -- Much Honor!
 Anti-US Propaganda stamp collection
http://www.manyenemies-muchhonor.info

        An American in Bavaria
   http://www.gaubodengalerie.de

Re: Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Robert Smits
On Thursday 26 July 2007 01:25, James Hatridge wrote:

> HI Bob et al...
>
> On Wednesday 25 July 2007 22:27, Robert Smits wrote:
> > Some years ago I used my home gardening program, Key Home Gardener, which
> > was a 16 bit Windows program, to lay out my lot, my septic system, and my
> > landscaping. It produces files in a .drw format, which is a Microsoft
> > vector format.
> >
> > Is there any Linux based program that will allow me to view my .drw
> > files?
>
> Why not try VMware and run 3.1 on it? That should work.
>
> JIM

It might, but the cost of VMware is so high that it's not practical.

--
Bob Smits [hidden email]

Re: Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Randall Schulz
On Thursday 26 July 2007 09:19, Robert Smits wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2007 01:25, James Hatridge wrote:
> >
> > Why not try VMware and run 3.1 on it? That should work.
> >
> > JIM
>
> It might, but the cost of VMware is so high that it's not practical.

What cost do you refer to? There is VMware Server which, while not open
source, is available free of charge. It has most of the capabilities of
VMware Workstation.

Randall Schulz

Re: Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Alfredo Cole-2
El jue, 26-07-2007 a las 09:19 -0700, Robert Smits escribió:

> On Thursday 26 July 2007 01:25, James Hatridge wrote:
> > HI Bob et al...
> >
> > On Wednesday 25 July 2007 22:27, Robert Smits wrote:
> > > Some years ago I used my home gardening program, Key Home Gardener, which
> > > was a 16 bit Windows program, to lay out my lot, my septic system, and my
> > > landscaping. It produces files in a .drw format, which is a Microsoft
> > > vector format.
> > >
> > > Is there any Linux based program that will allow me to view my .drw
> > > files?
> >
> > Why not try VMware and run 3.1 on it? That should work.
> >
> > JIM
>
> It might, but the cost of VMware is so high that it's not practical.

You could also try VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/). It's free
and works good with openSuse 10.2.

Best regards.

--
Alfredo Cole-Tuchler
Tel. 251-8572

Fwd: Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Chris Worley-4
VMWare Player is free... find an existing Windows image to use and add
your app to it.

On 7/26/07, Alfredo Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> El jue, 26-07-2007 a las 09:19 -0700, Robert Smits escribió:
> > On Thursday 26 July 2007 01:25, James Hatridge wrote:
> > > HI Bob et al...

> > > Why not try VMware and run 3.1 on it? That should work.
> > >
> > > JIM
> >
> > It might, but the cost of VMware is so high that it's not practical.
>
> You could also try VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/). It's free
> and works good with openSuse 10.2.
>
> Best regards.
>
> --
> Alfredo Cole-Tuchler
> Tel. 251-8572
> Tegucigalpa

Re: Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Richard Creighton

Robert Smits wrote:

> On Thursday 26 July 2007 01:25, James Hatridge wrote:
>> HI Bob et al...
>>
>> On Wednesday 25 July 2007 22:27, Robert Smits wrote:
>>> Some years ago I used my home gardening program, Key Home Gardener, which
>>> was a 16 bit Windows program, to lay out my lot, my septic system, and my
>>> landscaping. It produces files in a .drw format, which is a Microsoft
>>> vector format.
>>>
>>> Is there any Linux based program that will allow me to view my .drw
>>> files?
>> Why not try VMware and run 3.1 on it? That should work.
>>
>> JIM
>
> It might, but the cost of VMware is so high that it's not practical.

Wrong...there is a FREE version that is quite capable....look for VMware
SERVER version, not the Workstation.

Re: Fwd: Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Randall Schulz
On Thursday 26 July 2007 10:33, Chris Worley wrote:
> VMWare Player is free... find an existing Windows image to use and
> add your app to it.

That would surely be a violation of the Windows license, would it not?

Randall Schulz

Randall R Schulz wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2007 10:33, Chris Worley wrote:
>> VMWare Player is free... find an existing Windows image to use and
>> add your app to it.
>
> That would surely be a violation of the Windows license, would it not?
>

> Randall Schulz

If you are a legitimate owner of the license and it is not running on a
'real' machine, then it is legit to run it on the virtual machine as
long as you only run it on 1 machine.

Fwd: Fwd: Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Chris Worley-4
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

http://search.vmware.com/search?filter=0&q=microsoft&btnG=Virtual+Appliance+Search&entqr=0&restrict=&output=xml_no_dtd&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&ie=UTF-8&btnG.y=12&client=vmtn_appliance&num=10&btnG.x=15&ud=1&oe=UTF-8&proxystylesheet=vmtn_appliance&site=vmtn_appliance

On 7/26/07, Richard Creighton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > On Thursday 26 July 2007 10:33, Chris Worley wrote:
> >> VMWare Player is free... find an existing Windows image to use and
> >> add your app to it.
> >
> > That would surely be a violation of the Windows license, would it not?
> >

> > Randall Schulz
>
> If you are a legitimate owner of the license and it is not running on a
> 'real' machine, then it is legit to run it on the virtual machine as
> long as you only run it on 1 machine.

Re: Fwd: Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Chris Worley-4
The second url is a search for MS appliances.  None looked like Win
3.1, but maybe one could work.  Maybe somebody could make a 3.1
appliance for him?

On 7/26/07, Richard Creighton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chris Worley wrote:
> > http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
> >
> > http://search.vmware.com/search?filter=0&q=microsoft&btnG=Virtual+Appliance+Search&entqr=0&restrict=&output=xml_no_dtd&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&ie=UTF-8&btnG.y=12&client=vmtn_appliance&num=10&btnG.x=15&ud=1&oe=UTF-8&proxystylesheet=vmtn_appliance&site=vmtn_appliance
> >

> The 'player' is ok provided someone has already made an 'appliance'
> which fits your needs.   The VMWare SERVER is flexible and you can run
> virtually *any* guest OS on it 'simultaneously' with your host (provided
> you have enough memory of course).   I routinely load up alpha and beta
> versions of SUSE rather than risk my installed system and when I feel
> the need to feel grateful that I run linux and I want to run Windows, I
> run it with the rubber gloves of 'VM server' protecting my posterior.
> And, it is free to non commercial interests and there is little or no
> speed penalty.   I don't see a good reason to go after the player unless
> you simply need plug'n'play of an existing appliance and I'm pretty sure
> you won't find Win 3.1 pre-loaded, at least not legally.

Re: Fwd: Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Chris Worley-4
Doesn't VMWare have a 30 day trial?

Use it to create a Win3.1 appliance, then use the appliance w/ VMWare.

Chris Worley wrote:
> Doesn't VMWare have a 30 day trial?
>
> Use it to create a Win3.1 appliance, then use the appliance w/ VMWare.

VMWare SERVER is FREE forever and doesn't need the player and
distributing an appliance with win3.1 on it is probably illegal if
distributed but VMWare SERVER is free and legal and he can put his legal
copy of Windoze on it an run his old 16 bit apps under Linux while still
running other Linux spps at the same time.   The player is simply not a
very good idea in most cases IHMO, not when Server VMware is
available...assuming you are non-commercial.   If you are doing it
commercially, get the Workstation version and pay the license fee which
is well worth it.

On Friday 27 July 2007 09:01, Richard Creighton wrote:

> Chris Worley wrote:
> > Doesn't VMWare have a 30 day trial?
> >
> > Use it to create a Win3.1 appliance, then use the appliance w/
> > VMWare.
>
> VMWare SERVER is FREE forever and doesn't need the player and
> distributing an appliance with win3.1 on it is probably illegal if
> distributed but VMWare SERVER is free and legal and he can put his
> legal copy of Windoze on it an run his old 16 bit apps under Linux
> while still running other Linux spps at the same time.   The player
> is simply not a very good idea in most cases IHMO, not when Server
> VMware is available...assuming you are non-commercial.   If you are
> doing it commercially, get the Workstation version and pay the
> license fee which is well worth it.

I agree with most of this, though the player concept is valuable for
people packaging stand-alone solution environments. It's just not a
good choice when the end user needs to control and configure the system
that is to be virtualized.

Randall Schulz

Re: Fwd: Re: Is there a linux based program that can handle .drw files?

Carl Spitzer-4
On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 16:31 -0600, Chris Worley wrote:
> The second url is a search for MS appliances.  None looked like Win
> 3.1, but maybe one could work.  Maybe somebody could make a 3.1
> appliance for him?

There is always FreeDOS and GEMM.  I do have legacy apps myself which
have no parallel in Win32 or Linux.  So worst case I could send him the
images of the disks for Win311.  I have them archived.

--