Is there a difference between the result and action of dracut -f and mkinitrd?

Is there a difference between the result and action of dracut -f and mkinitrd?

Stakanov Schufter
As of title: is the result for both commands (in leap) the same or is there a
difference? Is there a difference in action?
What command should be preferred?

Thank you.

Re: Is there a difference between the result and action of dracut -f and mkinitrd?

Andrei Borzenkov
I would recommend mkinitrd. It calls dracut with some extra options. I
had issues when using pure dracut.

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 3:18 PM, stakanov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As of title: is the result for both commands (in leap) the same or is there a
> difference? Is there a difference in action?
> What command should be preferred?
>
> Thank you.

Re: Is there a difference between the result and action of dracut -f and mkinitrd?

Per Jessen
stakanov wrote:

> As of title: is the result for both commands (in leap) the same or is
> there a difference? Is there a difference in action?

mkinitrd calls dracut under the covers, but '-f' means something
different - 'force' for dracut and 'feature' to mkinitrd.

> What command should be preferred?

Probably dracut, I think I've seen situations where the mkinitrd wrapper
doesn't quite do what you expect.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.2°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - free dynamic DNS, made in Switzerland.