Intel CPU fix

James Knott
Is this what was included in the recent updates?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=33932

Re: Intel CPU fix

Bjoern Voigt
James Knott wrote:
> Is this what was included in the recent updates?
>
> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=33932
Probably yes. The archive has the same date (20180108) like the package
ucode-intel.

On openSUSE Tumbleweed we are still waiting for an update.

Greetings,
Björn

Re: Intel CPU fix

Larry Stotler
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 4:02 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is this what was included in the recent updates?
>
> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=33932

I installed the new microcode for my T7200 but still shows 0xd1 for
the microcode before and after.  Does that mean it didn't take?

I can't seem to find a list of the versions.

Re: Intel CPU fix

Marcus Meissner
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 06:09:20PM -0500, Larry Stotler wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 4:02 PM, James Knott <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is this what was included in the recent updates?
> >
> > https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File?product=33932
>
> I installed the new microcode for my T7200 but still shows 0xd1 for
> the microcode before and after.  Does that mean it didn't take?
>
> I can't seem to find a list of the versions.

The 20180108 firmware is not yet in the snapshot, it is waiting to be accepted
into factory for one of the next snapshots.

Ciao, Marcus

Re: Intel CPU fix

Larry Stotler
On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:57 AM, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The 20180108 firmware is not yet in the snapshot, it is waiting to be accepted
> into factory for one of the next snapshots.

I installed it directly.  But it's still showing the same microcode
version, which is why I was confused.

Re: Intel CPU fix

Peter Suetterlin
Larry Stotler wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:57 AM, Marcus Meissner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The 20180108 firmware is not yet in the snapshot, it is waiting to be accepted
> > into factory for one of the next snapshots.
>
> I installed it directly.  But it's still showing the same microcode
> version, which is why I was confused.

Is it the right one?  The one in the mentioned link is for Xeon processors?

Re: Intel CPU fix

Larry Stotler
On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:15 AM, Peter Suetterlin
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Larry Stotler wrote:
>> I installed it directly.  But it's still showing the same microcode
>> version, which is why I was confused.
>
> Is it the right one?  The one in the mentioned link is for Xeon processors?

Yeah it's in the list.  You got to scroll down through it.  It's got
everything from P-IIs to Itanium listed.

Re: Intel CPU fix

Larry Stotler

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 4:37 PM, Larry Stotler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yeah it's in the list.  You got to scroll down through it.  It's got
>> everything from P-IIs to Itanium listed.

Sorry for the double post.  Anyway, I found here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/intel-releases-linux-cpu-microcodes-to-fix-meltdown-and-spectre-bugs/

That only Haswell and newer procs got the actual update.  So, even
though it lists as applicable to everything from a Pentium 150 & up,
it only provided updates for a small subset of the processors.

It would have been nice if they had been a little more explicit in the
update page about that.

Re: Intel CPU fix

Peter Suetterlin
Larry Stotler wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:24 AM, Larry Stotler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:15 AM, Peter Suetterlin
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Is it the right one?  The one in the mentioned link is for Xeon processors?
> >
> > Yeah it's in the list.  You got to scroll down through it.  It's got
> > everything from P-IIs to Itanium listed.

Probably solved already, as the update is out by now, but I realized the issue:

That ucode update is done immediately at boot, so the ucode has to be in the
initrd....  So after updating the ucode in /lib/firmware, a mkinitrd would have
been needed to load it on next boot...