IBus icon after update to TW 20171023

Frank Krüger
As already reported on the opensuse mailing list
(https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-10/msg00486.html) TW 20171023
brought an ibus icon in the system tray. Is this on purpose? Bug or feature?

Regards, Frank

Re: IBus icon after update to TW 20171023

Christopher Myers-2
Hmm, I thought that thread was about libibus and how it affects Libre Office? Did I miss part of it apparently?

> As already reported on the opensuse mailing list
> (https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-10/msg00486.html) TW 20171023
> brought an ibus icon in the system tray. Is this on purpose? Bug or feature?

Re: IBus icon after update to TW 20171023

Axel Braun-2
And if it is a feature, what's it for?
Its far from obvious.
Schöne Grüße
 Axel
--
Written from cell phone - excuses for typos

Am 26. Oktober 2017 22:14:29 MESZ schrieb "Frank Krüger" <[hidden email]>:
>(https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-10/msg00486.html) TW 20171023
>brought an ibus icon in the system tray. Is this on purpose? Bug or
>feature?
>
>Regards, Frank

Re: IBus icon after update to TW 20171023

ianseeks-4
On Friday, 27 October 2017 07:56:01 BST Axel Braun wrote:
> And if it is a feature, what's it for?
Its there to takeover your keyboard settings, i removed it and taboo'd it.

> Its far from obvious.
Indeed, badly named for being helpful. "ibus" = keyboard?????   I thought it was some upgrade/replacement for D-BUS initially

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20171023
Qt: 5.9.2

Re: IBus icon after update to TW 20171023

Luca Beltrame
Il giorno Fri, 27 Oct 2017 08:56:01 +0200
Axel Braun <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> And if it is a feature, what's it for?

It's for text input on non-Latin languages, including but not limited
to CJK ones.

Re: IBus icon after update to TW 20171023

Jan Engelhardt-4
On Friday 2017-10-27 09:59, ianseeks wrote:

>On Friday, 27 October 2017 07:56:01 BST Axel Braun wrote:
>> And if it is a feature, what's it for?
>Its there to takeover your keyboard settings, i removed it and taboo'd it.
>
>> Its far from obvious.
>Indeed, badly named for being helpful. "ibus" = keyboard?????   I thought it was some upgrade/replacement for D-BUS initially

Well that the (bare) name of FLOSS projects (some are acronyms or
contractions, mind you, and ibus is one of those!) seldomly has anything
to do with its use is not really news to you, or is it?

"python" has nothing to do with snakes,
"squid" has nothing to do with fish,
"gnome" has nothing to do with little people,
"bash" has nothing to do with hitting stuff.
But on the last one I am not so sure ;-)

On Friday, 27 October 2017 11:13:44 BST Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Friday 2017-10-27 09:59, ianseeks wrote:
>
> >On Friday, 27 October 2017 07:56:01 BST Axel Braun wrote:
> >> And if it is a feature, what's it for?
> >Its there to takeover your keyboard settings, i removed it and taboo'd it.
> >
> >> Its far from obvious.
> >Indeed, badly named for being helpful. "ibus" = keyboard?????   I thought it was some upgrade/replacement for D-BUS initially
>
> Well that the (bare) name of FLOSS projects (some are acronyms or
> contractions, mind you, and ibus is one of those!) seldomly has anything
> to do with its use is not really news to you, or is it?
No, its not news to me.  Its usually the first time you see it, you have an initial reaction.  Acronyms are fine once you know they are.
> "python" has nothing to do with snakes,
> "squid" has nothing to do with fish,
> "gnome" has nothing to do with little people,
All these are sort of "behind the scenes" stuff so can be a bit obscure.

> "bash" has nothing to do with hitting stuff.
> But on the last one I am not so sure ;-)
:)

I think GUI programs should really be meaningful and sort of obvious - whats with the name of the new mail program "kube" - a newby coming to the desktop will be looking for something relating to "mail". Once you are in the know, its fine.  Being "on trend" or "humorous" with your names can bite you later.. E.g. Leap 42 springs to mind with all those reams of text to "justify" the name - what a waste of everyones time that was and that waste was duplicated when renaming again recently.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20171025
Qt: 5.9.2

Re: IBus icon after update to TW 20171023

Peter Suetterlin
ianseeks wrote:
> On Friday, 27 October 2017 07:56:01 BST Axel Braun wrote:
> > And if it is a feature, what's it for?
> Its there to takeover your keyboard settings, i removed it and taboo'd it.

Else it's likely started by some autostart .desktop file.  Copy it to your own
autostart folder and disable it by editing...

> > Its far from obvious.

> Indeed, badly named for being helpful. "ibus" = keyboard?????  I thought it
> was some upgrade/replacement for D-BUS initially

Its not that 'narrowminded'  It is a general input method interface and can do
other things than just keyboards....

Re: IBus icon after update to TW 20171023

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Donnerstag, 26. Oktober 2017, 22:14:29 schrieb Frank Krüger:
> As already reported on the opensuse mailing list
> (https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2017-10/msg00486.html) TW 20171023
> brought an ibus icon in the system tray. Is this on purpose? Bug or feature?

As already discussed in the thread about "Login Manager changed from KDM to
SDDM", this is a side-effect of dropping libreoffice-kde4 and installing
libreoffice-gnome on KDE/Plasma by default as well. (ibus supplements
libreoffice-gnome)

You can still uninstall it if you prefer (ibus, not libibus which is needed
since a long time already but doesn't really matter here). You probably should
lock/taboo it though or it might get pulled in again when installing updates.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang