How to stop a linked packages parent from rebuilding when the parents spec file is unchanged.

How to stop a linked packages parent from rebuilding when the parents spec file is unchanged.

Dave Plater lst
I have package lilypond with two spec files, lilypond.spec and
lilypond-doc.spec. Package lilypond-doc is a link of lilypond. I work on
lilypond-doc.spec locally and check it in and lilypond then rebuilds and
because lilypond-doc depends on lilypond to build a long, resource
hungry and unnecessary rebuild takes place. The reason for splitting the
package was to reduce resources used but this defeats the object. Is
there something I can do or should I report a bug. I've another similar
package ffado with linked ffado-mixer. This means when I change
ffado-mixer a chain of dependencies via jack will also rebuild
unnecessarily.
Anything I can do?
Dave P

Re: How to stop a linked packages parent from rebuilding when the parents spec file is unchanged.

Andreas Schwab
On Jun 05 2017, Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have package lilypond with two spec files, lilypond.spec and
> lilypond-doc.spec. Package lilypond-doc is a link of lilypond. I work on
> lilypond-doc.spec locally and check it in and lilypond then rebuilds and
> because lilypond-doc depends on lilypond to build a long, resource hungry
> and unnecessary rebuild takes place.

When you change the sources of a package it is always rebuilt.

> I've another similar package ffado with linked ffado-mixer. This means
> when I change ffado-mixer a chain of dependencies via jack will also
> rebuild unnecessarily.

Change the rebuild attribute in the repository element to "local".

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5

On 05/06/2017 16:13, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> On Jun 05 2017, Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have package lilypond with two spec files, lilypond.spec and
>> lilypond-doc.spec. Package lilypond-doc is a link of lilypond. I work on
>> lilypond-doc.spec locally and check it in and lilypond then rebuilds and
>> because lilypond-doc depends on lilypond to build a long, resource hungry
>> and unnecessary rebuild takes place.
>
> When you change the sources of a package it is always rebuilt.
>
>> I've another similar package ffado with linked ffado-mixer. This means
>> when I change ffado-mixer a chain of dependencies via jack will also
>> rebuild unnecessarily.
>
> Change the rebuild attribute in the repository element to "local".
>
> Andreas.

This happens in my home project, so it doesn't happen in Factory?
Where can I find the repository element rebuild attribute?
Thanks
Dave P

Re: How to stop a linked packages parent from rebuilding when the parents spec file is unchanged.

Adrian Schröter
On Montag, 5. Juni 2017, 16:13:29 CEST wrote Andreas Schwab:

> On Jun 05 2017, Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have package lilypond with two spec files, lilypond.spec and
> > lilypond-doc.spec. Package lilypond-doc is a link of lilypond. I work on
> > lilypond-doc.spec locally and check it in and lilypond then rebuilds and
> > because lilypond-doc depends on lilypond to build a long, resource hungry
> > and unnecessary rebuild takes place.
>
> When you change the sources of a package it is always rebuilt.
>
> > I've another similar package ffado with linked ffado-mixer. This means
> > when I change ffado-mixer a chain of dependencies via jack will also
> > rebuild unnecessarily.
>
> Change the rebuild attribute in the repository element to "local".

this will not help here, since it still looks like a source change for OBS.

The scheduler can't now, if the other spec file might be used somehow to the
other build.

The only way is to have the spec file in own package containers.

--

Adrian Schroeter
email: [hidden email]

Maxfeldstraße 5
90409 Nürnberg
Germany

On 05/06/2017 18:26, Adrian Schröter wrote:

> On Montag, 5. Juni 2017, 16:13:29 CEST wrote Andreas Schwab:
>> On Jun 05 2017, Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have package lilypond with two spec files, lilypond.spec and
>>> lilypond-doc.spec. Package lilypond-doc is a link of lilypond. I work on
>>> lilypond-doc.spec locally and check it in and lilypond then rebuilds and
>>> because lilypond-doc depends on lilypond to build a long, resource hungry
>>> and unnecessary rebuild takes place.
>>
>> When you change the sources of a package it is always rebuilt.
>>
>>> I've another similar package ffado with linked ffado-mixer. This means
>>> when I change ffado-mixer a chain of dependencies via jack will also
>>> rebuild unnecessarily.
>>
>> Change the rebuild attribute in the repository element to "local".
>
> this will not help here, since it still looks like a source change for OBS.
>
> The scheduler can't now, if the other spec file might be used somehow to the
> other build.
>
> The only way is to have the spec file in own package containers.

It's a rule in official repos that the package built has the same spec
and changes file name as the package. Surely that can be used to detect
which package to build?
A possible feature request? It would free up resources especially in a
case like ffado-mixer and similar packages,
Dave P

Re: How to stop a linked packages parent from rebuilding when the parents spec file is unchanged.

Dave Plater lst

On 05/06/2017 18:26, Adrian Schröter wrote:

> On Montag, 5. Juni 2017, 16:13:29 CEST wrote Andreas Schwab:
>> On Jun 05 2017, Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have package lilypond with two spec files, lilypond.spec and
>>> lilypond-doc.spec. Package lilypond-doc is a link of lilypond. I work on
>>> lilypond-doc.spec locally and check it in and lilypond then rebuilds and
>>> because lilypond-doc depends on lilypond to build a long, resource hungry
>>> and unnecessary rebuild takes place.
>>
>> When you change the sources of a package it is always rebuilt.
>>
>>> I've another similar package ffado with linked ffado-mixer. This means
>>> when I change ffado-mixer a chain of dependencies via jack will also
>>> rebuild unnecessarily.
>>
>> Change the rebuild attribute in the repository element to "local".
>
> this will not help here, since it still looks like a source change for OBS.
>
> The scheduler can't now, if the other spec file might be used somehow to the
> other build.
>
> The only way is to have the spec file in own package containers.

It's a rule in official repos that the package built has the same spec
and changes file name as the package. Surely that can be used to detect
which package to build?
A possible feature request? It would free up resources especially in a
case like ffado-mixer and similar packages,
Dave P

Re: How to stop a linked packages parent from rebuilding when the parents spec file is unchanged.

Andreas Färber
Am 05.06.2017 um 18:26 schrieb Adrian Schröter:
> On Montag, 5. Juni 2017, 16:13:29 CEST wrote Andreas Schwab:
>> On Jun 05 2017, Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I have package lilypond with two spec files, lilypond.spec and
>>> lilypond-doc.spec. Package lilypond-doc is a link of lilypond. I work on
>>> lilypond-doc.spec locally and check it in and lilypond then rebuilds and
>>> because lilypond-doc depends on lilypond to build a long, resource hungry
>>> and unnecessary rebuild takes place.
[...]
> The scheduler can't [know], if the other spec file might be used somehow to the
> other build.
>
> The only way is to have the spec file in own package containers.

A much simpler solution is to disable the build of the offending
lilipond package. The lilipond-doc link should still build then, but
against the devel project's or previously locally built version.

Regards,
Andreas

HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

On 07/06/2017 15:47, Andreas Färber wrote:

> Am 05.06.2017 um 18:26 schrieb Adrian Schröter:

> [...]
>> The scheduler can't [know], if the other spec file might be used somehow to the
>> other build.
>>
>> The only way is to have the spec file in own package containers.
>
> A much simpler solution is to disable the build of the offending
> lilipond package. The lilipond-doc link should still build then, but
> against the devel project's or previously locally built version.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

That would help time wise but I was thinking of the bigger picture of
submitting a package with only fixes to the linked package which no
packages depend on but many depend on the parent package.
As it turns out the fix for lilypond-doc build lay in fixing lilypond
anyway.
Thanks
Dave

Re: How to stop a linked packages parent from rebuilding when the parents spec file is unchanged.

Olaf Hering-2
Am Mon, 5 Jun 2017 15:12:18 +0200
schrieb Dave Plater <[hidden email]>:

> I have package lilypond with two spec files, lilypond.spec and
> lilypond-doc.spec. Package lilypond-doc is a link of lilypond. I work on
> lilypond-doc.spec locally and check it in and lilypond then rebuilds and
> because lilypond-doc depends on lilypond to build a long, resource
> hungry and unnecessary rebuild takes place. The reason for splitting the

Copy just the lilypond-doc.spec file over to the 'lilypond-doc' pkg and do changes there.
That way only this pkg will build.

Olaf