Quantcast

How to set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?

How to set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?

Andreas-3
How can I set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?
OK, it's called target now but YAST shows an empty dropdown list in the
expert-view of the service manager where one used to chose the default
runlevel.

According to the documentation this is still the right place to look.

I have KDE installed but most of the time I don't need all this
graphical goodness so it's a waste of ressources.
Manually switching back with "init 3" after every boot is not a perfect
solution.

regards
Andreas

Re: How to set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?

Andrei Borzenkov
В Sat, 15 Jun 2013 13:20:10 +0200
Andreas <[hidden email]> пишет:

> How can I set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?
> OK, it's called target now but YAST shows an empty dropdown list in the
> expert-view of the service manager where one used to chose the default
> runlevel.
>
> According to the documentation this is still the right place to look.
>
> I have KDE installed but most of the time I don't need all this
> graphical goodness so it's a waste of ressources.
> Manually switching back with "init 3" after every boot is not a perfect
> solution.

ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target \
  /etc/systemd/system/default.target

On 2013-06-15 13:20, Andreas wrote:

> How can I set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?
> OK, it's called target now but YAST shows an empty dropdown list in the
> expert-view of the service manager where one used to chose the default
> runlevel.
>
> According to the documentation this is still the right place to look.
>
> I have KDE installed but most of the time I don't need all this
> graphical goodness so it's a waste of ressources.
> Manually switching back with "init 3" after every boot is not a perfect
> solution.
Create "/etc/inittab" with this line only:

id:3:initdefault:

Apparently, it works. I did not create it: YaST did on install, if
target text is chosen.

Re: How to set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?

Felix Miata-3
On 2013-06-15 13:20 (GMT+0200) Andreas composed:

> How can I set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?
> OK, it's called target now but YAST shows an empty dropdown list in the
> expert-view of the service manager where one used to chose the default
> runlevel.

> According to the documentation this is still the right place to look.

> I have KDE installed but most of the time I don't need all this
> graphical goodness so it's a waste of ressources.
> Manually switching back with "init 3" after every boot is not a perfect
> solution.

Andrey gave the official answer, like any non-admin would ever remember it.
Carlos gave a probably slightly easier way to remember, but it likely won't
work after next OS upgrade.

Want one to probably more easily remember? Put the runlevel you want on
Grub's kernel cmdlines. With GFXboot menu, it's oh so simple to change on the
fly for those times you want different than normal. For normal times, add a 3
to the appropriate menu.lst lines if using Grub Legacy. If using Grub 2, the
change goes on the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= line in /etc/default Grub for a
"permanent" change, /boot/grub2/grub.cfg for a change that lasts only until
its next automagic reconstruction.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: How to set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?

Andrei Borzenkov
В Sat, 15 Jun 2013 10:15:27 -0400
Felix Miata <[hidden email]> пишет:

> Andrey gave the official answer, like any non-admin would ever remember it.

Current upstream systemd provides "systemctl get-default" and
"systemctl set-default".

On 2013-06-15 16:15, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2013-06-15 13:20 (GMT+0200) Andreas composed:

> Andrey gave the official answer, like any non-admin would ever remember
> it. Carlos gave a probably slightly easier way to remember, but it
> likely won't work after next OS upgrade.

Who knows!?

That was on a fresh install, not an upgraded one.

Re: How to set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?

Cristian Rodríguez-2
On 06/15/2013 09:30 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Create "/etc/inittab" with this line only:
>
> id:3:initdefault:
>
> Apparently, it works. I did not create it: YaST did on install, if
> target text is chosen.

systemd does not read or use inittab in anyway, Yast created it because
it still mostly lives in the pre-systemd era. (and there is already a
bug filled for this)

Re: How to set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2013-06-15 20:37, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

> On 06/15/2013 09:30 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>

>> Create "/etc/inittab" with this line only:
>>
>> id:3:initdefault:
>>
>> Apparently, it works. I did not create it: YaST did on install, if
>> target text is chosen.
>
> systemd does not read or use inittab in anyway, Yast created it because
> it still mostly lives in the pre-systemd era. (and there is already a
> bug filled for this)

Yast only created that line, and system indeed started in text mode. On
the other hand, the link exists:

> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  40 Jun  2 01:53 /other/aux_01/etc/systemd/system/default.target -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/runlevel3.target
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 517 Apr 22 12:15 /other/aux_01/usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target
> Telcontar:~ #

Re: How to set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?

upscope-2
On Saturday, June 15, 2013 06:53:26 PM Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> В Sat, 15 Jun 2013 10:15:27 -0400
>
> Felix Miata <[hidden email]> пишет:
> > Andrey gave the official answer, like any non-admin would ever
> > remember it.
> Current upstream systemd provides "systemctl get-default" and
> "systemctl set-default".
Looking at;
[CODE]
----------
rpl7:~> man systemctl
[/CODE]

the "get-default" and "set-default" are not described.

Executing the commands shown result in:
[CODE]
rpl7:~> sudo systemctl get-default
root's password:
Unknown operation 'get-default'.
[/CODE]

Could you point me to help with these commands?
Thanks

Russ
--
openSUSE 12.3(Linux 3.7.10-1.11-desktop x86_64)|KDE 4.10.4
"release 569"|Intel core2duo 2.5 MHZ,|8GB DDR3|GeForce

El 16/06/13 16:20, Upscope escribió:

> Could you point me to help with these commands?

Of course they are not, since get-default and set-default only exist in
systemd git HEAD, not in any released version.

Currently you have to change runlevels using

ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target \
   /etc/systemd/system/default.target

or

ln -sf /usr/lib/systemd/system/graphical.target \
   /etc/systemd/system/default.target

Next systemd will have both set-default , get-default and the respective
dbus methods for applications that want to change the default runlevel.

Re: How to set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?

Anton Aylward-2
Upscope said the following on 06/16/2013 04:20 PM:

> On Saturday, June 15, 2013 06:53:26 PM Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
>> В Sat, 15 Jun 2013 10:15:27 -0400
>>
>> Felix Miata <[hidden email]> пишет:
>>> Andrey gave the official answer, like any non-admin would ever
>>> remember it.
>> Current upstream systemd provides "systemctl get-default" and
>> "systemctl set-default".
> Looking at;
> [CODE]
> ----------
> rpl7:~> man systemctl
> [/CODE]
>
> the "get-default" and "set-default" are not described.
>
> Executing the commands shown result in:
> [CODE]
> rpl7:~> sudo systemctl get-default
> root's password:
> Unknown operation 'get-default'.
> [/CODE]
>
> Could you point me to help with these commands?
> Thanks

Did you google?
http://opensuse.14.x6.nabble.com/How-to-set-the-default-runlevel-in-openSUSE-12-3-tp4992901p4992912.html
is earlier in this thread.

Eventually the changes going on that I see in [systemd-devl] do
percolate down.  The official line is that the packagers have to makes
sure that the changes don't break anything ... HA HA HA

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=99504dd4c
or
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.systemd.devel/10980

--
How long did the whining go on when KDE2 went on KDE3?

The only universal constant is change. If a species can not adapt it
goes extinct. That's the law of the universe, adapt or die.
    -- Billie Walsh, May 18 2013

Carlos E. R. said the following on 06/16/2013 06:37 PM:
> On Sunday, 2013-06-16 at 16:44 -0400, Anton Aylward wrote:
>> Eventually the changes going on that I see in [systemd-devl] do percolate
>> down.  The official line is that the packagers have to makes sure that the
>> changes don't break anything ... HA HA HA
>
> Aha! But that is what happens to me, that the upgrade procedure does not
> catch and migrate things that worked before and don't now >:-P

I suspect what has happened is that the new release had over-written
your carefully edited files rather than creating .rpmnew versions that
'suggest' a change and let you do a diff.

N▀╖╡ФЛr╦⌡yИ ┼Z)z{.╠О╝·к⌡╠йБmЙ)z{.╠Й+│:╒{Zrшaz▄'z╥╕j)h╔ИЛ╨г╬ё ч╝┼^·к╛z┼Ю

Re: How to set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?

Re: How to set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?

Andrei Borzenkov
On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM, Carlos E. R.
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have my notes about what failed on the upgrade, and I do plan to report
> all of them in a single bugzilla, to keep the context and save typing,
> before I forget the details.

Well, that's usually wrong think to do. One bug report should contain
one problem. Because each problem may concern unrelated components,
each having different maintainer. You simplify task for you, but make
it more complicated for "them" to handle it.

Re: How to set the default runlevel in openSUSE 12.3 ?