How to name that thing? Repository/installation source/Catalog...

How to name that thing? Repository/installation source/Catalog...

Andreas Jaeger

The discussions on the various mailing lists on how to name "that thing"
have culminated in a face to face discussion in Prague yesterday where
the systems management stakeholder took the input from the community and
the usages in current openSUSE and Novell products in consideration.

The goal was to have one technical term that we can use use in a
consistent way in future new openSUSE and SUSE Linux Enterprise release
- in software, documents, wiki etc.

The decision was to use "repository".  Other names considered where
"installation source" and "catalog".

So, yes we now have a management decision ;-) to name it "repository".

I'm asking now the developers and documentation guys to change their
texts and use it in new texts.  On the other hand I ask everybody to
give them some time and not file bug reports against documentation and
software that uses the old names in openSUSE 10.3.  Let's make it
perfect for the release after - unless the teams can easily do this and
tell us "file bugs" ;-)

Regards,
Andreas

P.S. Reply-To to [hidden email] is set for any discussions.
--
 Andreas Jaeger, Director Platform / openSUSE, [hidden email]
   Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: How to name that thing? Repository/installation source/Catalog...

jdd@dodin.org
Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> The decision was to use "repository".  Other names considered where
> "installation source" and "catalog".

could you also ask your translation team to give the official translation.

At least in french, repository is not easy to translate. The very same
word exists but is completely obsolete (repositoire - meaning the
place where you store dead human corpse to family last visit :-()).

http://fr.opensuse.org/Glossaire_d'équivalences_entre_l'anglais_et_le_français

the best word seems to be "dépôt", but "Réserve" may be better.
Package repository gives "Réserve de paquetages", "Dépôt de
paquetages" (paquetage is very odd in french, but most used anyway)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://gourmandises.orangeblog.fr/

Re: [yast-devel] How to name that thing? Repository/installation source/Catalog...

Francis Giannaros
On 7/4/07, Andreas Jaeger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The discussions on the various mailing lists on how to name "that thing"
> have culminated in a face to face discussion in Prague yesterday where
> the systems management stakeholder took the input from the community and
> the usages in current openSUSE and Novell products in consideration.
>
> The goal was to have one technical term that we can use use in a
> consistent way in future new openSUSE and SUSE Linux Enterprise release
> - in software, documents, wiki etc.
>
> The decision was to use "repository".  Other names considered where
> "installation source" and "catalog".

This is great news, thanks. With the emerging popularity and apparent
standardization on the term I think we would be hard-pressed to not
adopt it eventually. Great to know that this can happen already :)

Kind thoughts,
--
Francis Giannaros   http://francis.giannaros.org

jdd <[hidden email]> writes:

> Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>
>> The decision was to use "repository".  Other names considered where
>> "installation source" and "catalog".
>
> could you also ask your translation team to give the official translation.
>
> At least in french, repository is not easy to translate. The very same
> word exists but is completely obsolete (repositoire - meaning the
> place where you store dead human corpse to family last visit :-()).
>
> http://fr.opensuse.org/Glossaire_d'équivalences_entre_l'anglais_et_le_français
>
> the best word seems to be "dépôt", but "Réserve" may be
> better. Package repository gives "Réserve de paquetages", "Dépôt de
> paquetages" (paquetage is very odd in french, but most used anyway)
Karl, could you talk with our translation teams, please?  It might make
sense to leave it untranslated - but that seems to be bad for french:-(

Andreas

Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> jdd <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>>
>>> The decision was to use "repository".  Other names considered where
>>> "installation source" and "catalog".
>> could you also ask your translation team to give the official translation.
>>
>> At least in french, repository is not easy to translate. The very same
>> word exists but is completely obsolete (repositoire - meaning the
>> place where you store dead human corpse to family last visit :-()).
>>
>> http://fr.opensuse.org/Glossaire_d'équivalences_entre_l'anglais_et_le_français
>>
>> the best word seems to be "dépôt", but "Réserve" may be
>> better. Package repository gives "Réserve de paquetages", "Dépôt de
>> paquetages" (paquetage is very odd in french, but most used anyway)
>
> Karl, could you talk with our translation teams, please?  It might make
> sense to leave it untranslated - but that seems to be bad for french:-(

this is certainly not possible, "repository" having no in scope
meaning in french :-)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://gourmandises.orangeblog.fr/

Re: How to name that thing? Repository/installation source/Catalog...

Arturo Aguilar
Sorry for cut in here... but I would like to clarify that in most languages the translation for the term 'repository'
within the context of software has approved translation since a long time... this term is not new to the industry nor
exclusive to opensuse... so we should maintain what the industry is using in each language.  A repository in the
computing environment is understood as a storage house for data.... and some languages will have a direct translation,
like for e.g. Spanish where the translation is 'repositorio' and other languages may have a different.. but I am sure
all languages will have one as this term is an old concept already.

That said, I do understand JDD's comment, that sometimes this term used in other context mean exactly what he is
referring to... but in this case, translators needs to confirm what is the most widely approved translation for it in
their locales.

So, please, do not leave in English unnecessarily.

Thanks,

arturo

jdd <[hidden email]> writes:

> Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>
>> The decision was to use "repository".  Other names considered where
>> "installation source" and "catalog".
>
> could you also ask your translation team to give the official translation.
>
> At least in french, repository is not easy to translate. The very same
> word exists but is completely obsolete (repositoire - meaning the
> place where you store dead human corpse to family last visit :-()).
>
> http://fr.opensuse.org/Glossaire_d'équivalences_entre_l'anglais_et_le_français
>
> the best word seems to be "dépôt", but "Réserve" may be
> better. Package repository gives "Réserve de paquetages", "Dépôt de
> paquetages" (paquetage is very odd in french, but most used anyway)

Karl, could you talk with our translation teams, please?  It might make
sense to leave it untranslated - but that seems to be bad for french:-(

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, Director Platform / openSUSE, [hidden email]
   Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: How to name that thing? Repository/installation source/Catalog...

Anne Mc Cluskey
JDD - are you familiar with iTerm yet (Novell's online glossary tool)?

Please contact Arturo Aguilar, Marlyse Eyike or I directly if you need any guidance on that - we're happy to get you
and any other volunteers started there.

Many thanks
Anne

Anne McCluskey, Language/Corporate Localization Manager
+353 1 605 8142 / +353 87 221 4456
Novell, Inc.   SUSE* Linux Enterprise 10
Your Linux is ready http://www.novell.com/linux

jdd <[hidden email]> writes:

> Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>
>> The decision was to use "repository".  Other names considered where
>> "installation source" and "catalog".
>
> could you also ask your translation team to give the official translation.
>
> At least in french, repository is not easy to translate. The very same
> word exists but is completely obsolete (repositoire - meaning the
> place where you store dead human corpse to family last visit :-()).
>
> http://fr.opensuse.org/Glossaire_d'équivalences_entre_l'anglais_et_le_français
>
> the best word seems to be "dépôt", but "Réserve" may be
> better. Package repository gives "Réserve de paquetages", "Dépôt de
> paquetages" (paquetage is very odd in french, but most used anyway)

Karl, could you talk with our translation teams, please?  It might make
sense to leave it untranslated - but that seems to be bad for french:-(

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, Director Platform / openSUSE, [hidden email]
   Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: How to name that thing? Repository/installation source/Catalog...

Jana Jaeger
Anne,

there might be some difficulty - iTerm is Novell only, isn't it? So there
is no way jdd could access it and comment on things he finds in there.

Cheers,
Jana

--
Jana Jaeger               [hidden email]
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH  Documentation
D-90409 Nuernberg         http://www.novell.com/linux

Jana Jaeger wrote:
> Anne,
>
> there might be some difficulty - iTerm is Novell only, isn't it? So there
> is no way jdd could access it and comment on things he finds in there.

I was already redirected time ago to a Novell tool. ATM this was no as
usefull as one could expect. Anyway I don't look for a personal
solution (I know I can have one), but for open solution (IE wiki).
Only very few words gives really problems (and this one is one of the
most ugly to french translation)

jdd (back from hollidays :-)

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://gourmandises.orangeblog.fr/

Re: Rép. : Re: [opensuse-fr] Re: How to name that thing? Repository/installation source/Catalog...

jdd@dodin.org
Marlyse Eyike wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> To close off this issue - for French anyway - we have agreed to use
> "dépôt".

ack - french wiki edited accordingly

jdd