How to make local browser "default" instead of some remote browser?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

How to make local browser "default" instead of some remote browser?

L A Walsh
Running a remote GUI just now, when I clicked on
a topic, it started a browser on the remote machine
that displays on my local machine via 'X'.

Where is my browser choice stored?  I'd like to configure it to
run the browser on my local machine instead.

Thanks!
-linda



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to make local browser "default" instead of some remote browser?

Oliver Kurz-2
On Tuesday, 13 June 2017 02:53:54 CEST L A Walsh wrote:
> Running a remote GUI just now, when I clicked on
> a topic, it started a browser on the remote machine
> that displays on my local machine via 'X'.

So are you using ssh with X-forwarding?
>
> Where is my browser choice stored?  I'd like to configure it to
> run the browser on my local machine instead.

depends on your desktop environment but I think that would be very hard to
achieve. I guess the best workaround would be to use the clipboard that can be
configured to pass content from the remote machine to the local machine and
back. So copy the URL in the "remote GUI" and paste into your local browser.
For other cases I guess the way to go is not use ssh+X-forwarding - if that is
what you are using.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: How to make local browser "default" instead of some remote browser?

L A Walsh
Oliver Kurz wrote:

> On Tuesday, 13 June 2017 02:53:54 CEST L A Walsh wrote:
>  
>> Running a remote GUI just now, when I clicked on
>> a topic, it started a browser on the remote machine
>> that displays on my local machine via 'X'.
>>    
>
> So are you using ssh with X-forwarding?
>  
>> Where is my browser choice stored?  I'd like to configure it to
>> run the browser on my local machine instead.
>>    
>
> depends on your desktop environment but I think that would be very hard to
> achieve.
Where is the browser choice stored?  I.e. somewhere it needs
to have the name of some executable file to start.

 From there I can change it to pass the URL to my remote browser.
I could use ssh to pass it, but I might switch to rsh or rexec
for simplicity & speed (security isn't an issue; it's a
dedicated connection).
> For other cases I guess the way to go is not use ssh+X-forwarding - if that is what you are using.
>  
Well, already, I'm not, _really_, using the X-forwarding -- just
'X'.  Like:

Ishtar:/> echo $DISPLAY
athenae:0

(where Ishtar is a "remote"(another room) linux(suse) machine, and
athenae is
my local(desktop) machine).  Sending X back through 'ssh' makes
it much slower.






--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Loading...