How to force a protocol on a specific BT device?

How to force a protocol on a specific BT device?

Stakanov Schufter
BT fails with me since years to pair correctly with BT audio devices when they
have also a phone hands free function.
In this case, even selecting manually in the settings the right protocol
(A2DP), since the system perceives the microphone, it always starts the device
with HFP.
In 13.2 that worked normally but since leap my BT functionality for audio is
substantially unusable, if, of course, you are not keen to listen to music in
"HFP" tin sound standard. I do not advice the experience.
Since I do not use handsfree on my notebook, is there a way to force(!) the
A2DP protocol on the headset and on the BT box? Maybe with a "read only"
association of the profile for that given hardware?
Where is the config where this can be done?
One sees the A2DP offered but settings in Leap have no effect, the device
"jumps back" to HFP once the microphone is sensed, it seems.

Thank you for helping me to solve this tedious problem.

P.s. "did you file a bug". Yes, several times. After a while they get "just
closed" as "not more supported (kde4) or simply because of product change
41.1, 2,3, now 15. A proud heritage for such a bug... So a workaround as of
above would be appreciated.

Re: How to force a protocol on a specific BT device?

Anton Aylward-2
On 18/06/18 10:37 AM, stakanov wrote:
> BT fails with me since years to pair correctly with BT audio devices when they
> have also a phone hands free function.

Well, no, and   yes.

My problems with BT & binding to my devices happens at conferences and the like
when there are so many other BT devices around, all manner of devices that my
co-attendees are using.  You'd think that my decides know each others 'names'?
Well yes, but the amount of RF traffic on their bands seems to force disconnects
and confusion.  Looking around at faces and people shaking their pones and
stuff, I suspect I'm not alone at these times.

--
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It eliminates
dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the business of hate,

In data lunedì 18 giugno 2018 16:48:21 CEST, Anton Aylward ha scritto:

> On 18/06/18 10:37 AM, stakanov wrote:
> > BT fails with me since years to pair correctly with BT audio devices when
> > they have also a phone hands free function.
>
> Well, no, and   yes.
>
> My problems with BT & binding to my devices happens at conferences and the
> like when there are so many other BT devices around, all manner of devices
> that my co-attendees are using.  You'd think that my decides know each
> others 'names'? Well yes, but the amount of RF traffic on their bands seems
> to force disconnects and confusion.  Looking around at faces and people
> shaking their pones and stuff, I suspect I'm not alone at these times.
With my situation: 1 BT device, e.g. JBL GO BT box.
Automatic pairing: TW no problem
Leap: problematic, fails many times. But although it claims "failed" then it
results connected and can be given trust.
TW: you can set HFP or A2DP. In 50% of the time the setting is accepted. In
the other 50% it behaves like Leap: failure to accept the A2DP.
Leap: you can select HFP or A2DP. But settings have no effect, once done "ok"
the settings are held on A2DP (on the window) but sound is HFP. When one
closes the settings, reopening it shows the association is again on HFP.

So this seems to be a Leap problem (maybe KDE related because maybe the
version has a fix upstream?) or just a bug in settings for which the setting
is not accepted / held.
So that is the point where I would like to put the iron in and try to force
the profile. Helas I do not know where that is to be done.

On 18/06/18 11:07 AM, stakanov wrote:
> Leap: problematic, fails many times. But although it claims "failed" then it
> results connected and can be given trust.

Posts like this, and many others of the same ilk, are destroying my confidence
in "15" and whole idea of the close buddy-buddy relationship with SUSE.  It
makes me wonder about the quality of SLED as a commercial product.

--
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore,be regarded
as a criminal offence.