How to find what pulls in python3

Dave Plater lst
Hi, I've a package wxhexeditor which is failing due to python3 being
pulled in to the build. What's the quickest way to find which package
used for the build is suddenly pulling in python3.
Thanks
Dave P

Re: How to find what pulls in python3

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Sat, 2017-12-23 at 10:37 +0200, Dave Plater wrote:
> Hi, I've a package wxhexeditor which is failing due to python3 being
> pulled in to the build. What's the quickest way to find which package
> used for the build is suddenly pulling in python3.
> Thanks
> Dave P

osc buildinfo $PRJ $PKG $REPO $ARCH -d

On 27/12/2017 15:29, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-12-23 at 10:37 +0200, Dave Plater wrote:
>> Hi, I've a package wxhexeditor which is failing due to python3 being
>> pulled in to the build. What's the quickest way to find which package
>> used for the build is suddenly pulling in python3.
>> Thanks
>> Dave P
>
> osc buildinfo $PRJ $PKG $REPO $ARCH -d

That does the trick:
added python3@openSUSE:Factory/snapshot because of gtk2-devel:python3-xml

I already worked it out the long way, both guitarix and wxhexeditor
failed with python3, neither had a buildrequires for python and both
only had gtk2 in common. gtk2-devel requires python-xml and it was just
updated to use python3-xml. guitarix needs a lot of work to change to
python3, even though the git log reckons it was compatible in 2010.
Fortunately the small python build script in wxhexeditor works for both
pythons.

On Wed, 2017-12-27 at 16:00 +0200, Dave Plater wrote:

> On 27/12/2017 15:29, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
> > On Sat, 2017-12-23 at 10:37 +0200, Dave Plater wrote:
> > > Hi, I've a package wxhexeditor which is failing due to python3 being
> > > pulled in to the build. What's the quickest way to find which package
> > > used for the build is suddenly pulling in python3.
> > > Thanks
> > > Dave P
> >
> > osc buildinfo $PRJ $PKG $REPO $ARCH -d
> >

> That does the trick:
> added python3@openSUSE:Factory/snapshot because of gtk2-devel:python3-xml
>
> I already worked it out the long way, both guitarix and wxhexeditor
> failed with python3, neither had a buildrequires for python and both
> only had gtk2 in common. gtk2-devel requires python-xml and it was just
> updated to use python3-xml. guitarix needs a lot of work to change to
> python3, even though the git log reckons it was compatible in 2010.
> Fortunately the small python build script in wxhexeditor works for both
> pythons.
Indeede, that's what happens when you have spec files that rely on
implicit dependencies. Those two packages were by far not the only ones
- and python is also not the only thing build systems often rely on but
do not require it (just to make you feel better, even our Firefox
package was hit by this issue, but due to being part of the rings, it
was fixed before gtk2/glib2 could perform the switch).

Glad you could find the right solution for now.

Cheers
Dominique