How to check kernel messages?

Rajko M.

I like to use "tail -f /var/log/messages", but I can't see any device
notifications.

Original problem is, most likely, broken SD card from an Android phone
with a lot of pictures that disappeared at some point. When I try to
mount it under KDE it doesn't show up in device notifier.

Trying to debug that, but without "tail -f" don't know how to get real
time kernel messages.

--
Regards, Rajko.

Re: How to check kernel messages?

Patrick Shanahan
* Rajko <[hidden email]> [06-06-15 20:43]:

> I like to use "tail -f /var/log/messages", but I can't see any device
> notifications.
>
> Original problem is, most likely, broken SD card from an Android phone
> with a lot of pictures that disappeared at some point. When I try to
> mount it under KDE it doesn't show up in device notifier.
>
> Trying to debug that, but without "tail -f" don't know how to get real
> time kernel messages.

Hello stranger :)

try    dmesg -T |tail

http://wahoo.no-ip.org        Photo Album: http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

Re: How to check kernel messages?

Re: How to check kernel messages?

Anton Aylward-2

> * Rajko <[hidden email]> [06-06-15 20:43]:
>>
>> I like to use "tail -f /var/log/messages", but I can't see any device
>> notifications.
>>
>> Original problem is, most likely, broken SD card from an Android phone
>> with a lot of pictures that disappeared at some point. When I try to
>> mount it under KDE it doesn't show up in device notifier.
>>
>> Trying to debug that, but without "tail -f" don't know how to get real
>> time kernel messages.
>
> Hello stranger :)
>
> try    dmesg -T |tail

I use "dmesg -w"

but a RTFM mentions
-H for --human

--
         A: Yes.
     >   Q: Are you sure?
     >>  A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
     >>> Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Re: How to check kernel messages?

John Andersen-2
On 6/6/2015 6:02 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2015-06-07 02:52, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>> * Rajko <> [06-06-15 20:43]:
>>>
>>> I like to use "tail -f /var/log/messages", but I can't see any
>>> device notifications.
>
> It is possible that syslog is not running. It is not in a default 13.2.
>

>> try    dmesg -T |tail
>
> Change that to "dmesg -Tw" :-)
>
> - --
> Cheers / Saludos,

Or journalctl -f

Re: How to check kernel messages?

ianseeks-2
On Saturday 06 Jun 2015 19:39:34 Rajko wrote:
> I like to use "tail -f /var/log/messages", but I can't see any device
> notifications.
>
> Original problem is, most likely, broken SD card from an Android phone
> with a lot of pictures that disappeared at some point. When I try to
> mount it under KDE it doesn't show up in device notifier.
>
> Trying to debug that, but without "tail -f" don't know how to get real
> time kernel messages.

If you are using systemd try as "su"
journalctl -b
or
journalctl -b | grep kernel

Re: How to check kernel messages?

Rajko M.
On Sat, 6 Jun 2015 19:39:34 -0500
Rajko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like to use "tail -f /var/log/messages", but I can't see any device
> notifications.
>
> Original problem is, most likely, broken SD card from an Android phone
> with a lot of pictures that disappeared at some point. When I try to
> mount it under KDE it doesn't show up in device notifier.
>
> Trying to debug that, but without "tail -f" don't know how to get real
> time kernel messages.

Tried all proposals, they work and can be used:
"dmesg -w" and variants work fine, just like "tail -f" would.

"systemctl -f" works the same way with some highlight so it is easier
to capture interesting parts.

"systemctl -b" gives scrollable log output, not what I needed -
output that is updated as new messages are coming.

--
Regards, Rajko.