How do I make rpm output a message on installation?

How do I make rpm output a message on installation?

Dave Plater lst
The new blender-2.79 has a compatibility problem with the previous
version. Do I simply use cat message file or echo in %postin to output a
warning message or is there another way?
Thanks
Dave P

Re: How do I make rpm output a message on installation?

Andreas Schwab-2
On Sep 20 2017, Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The new blender-2.79 has a compatibility problem with the previous
> version. Do I simply use cat message file or echo in %postin to output a
> warning message or is there another way?

I think the notifications implemented via /var/adm/update-messages are a
good fit.  See mariadb for an example.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

On 20/09/2017 10:41, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> On Sep 20 2017, Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The new blender-2.79 has a compatibility problem with the previous
>> version. Do I simply use cat message file or echo in %postin to output a
>> warning message or is there another way?
>
> I think the notifications implemented via /var/adm/update-messages are a
> good fit.  See mariadb for an example.
>
> Andreas.

That's most probably the most complicated %post I've ever come across.
So I create the message in
%{_localstatedir}/adm/update-messages/%{name}-%{version}-%{release} use
cat to display it %ghost it and delete it?
Thanks
Dave P

Re: How do I make rpm output a message on installation?

Bruno Friedmann-2
On mercredi, 20 septembre 2017 11.27:06 h CEST Dave Plater wrote:

> On 20/09/2017 10:41, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> > On Sep 20 2017, Dave Plater <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> The new blender-2.79 has a compatibility problem with the previous
> >> version. Do I simply use cat message file or echo in %postin to output a
> >> warning message or is there another way?
> >
> > I think the notifications implemented via /var/adm/update-messages are a
> > good fit.  See mariadb for an example.
> >
> > Andreas.
>
> That's most probably the most complicated %post I've ever come across.
> So I create the message in
> %{_localstatedir}/adm/update-messages/%{name}-%{version}-%{release} use
> cat to display it %ghost it and delete it?
> Thanks
> Dave P

Perhaps it is a bit simplier than mariadb you can have a look at
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/security:netfilter/shorewall/
shorewall.spec?expand=1

pretrans postrans and files.

It allow me to warn user when major release is done
as the 4x to 5x version so people remember to run the
upgrade.

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch