How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

Robert Smits
The subject line says it all.

What can I do when installing KDE4 to make it work and look as much as
possible like KDE3.5.

I'd like to find menus in the places I expect, I want to use Konqueror, etc.

Does anyone have a "cheat" sheet that tells us how to do this?

Bob.
--
Bob Smits [hidden email]
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

M Harris-2
On Monday 16 February 2009 12:06, Robert Smits wrote:
> The subject line says it all.
        ehem.





--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

dotancohen
In reply to this post by Robert Smits
2009/2/16 Robert Smits <[hidden email]>:
> The subject line says it all.
>
> What can I do when installing KDE4 to make it work and look as much as
> possible like KDE3.5.
>
> I'd like to find menus in the places I expect, I want to use Konqueror, etc.
>

1) You can add the classic KDE 3 menu to the panel instead of the
default menu. Though Suse in particular had the KDE4-type menu in
KDE3.

2) What other _specific_ changes would you like?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
а-б-в-г-д-е-ё-ж-з-и-й-к-л-м-н-о-п-р-с-т-у-ф-х-ц-ч-ш-щ-ъ-ы-ь-э-ю-я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.�ﮞ˛���m�)z{.��+�Z+i�b�*'jW(�f�vǦj)h���Ǿ��i�������
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

jdd@dodin.org
In reply to this post by Robert Smits
Robert Smits a écrit :

> Does anyone have a "cheat" sheet that tells us how to do this?

use kd3?

any kde4 app run under kde3 (with it's libraries, of course)

it's what I do

jdd


--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-eic8MSSfM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1412160445

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

dotancohen
>> Does anyone have a "cheat" sheet that tells us how to do this?
>
> use kd3?
>

Hey, that's cheating! Oh, wait...

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
а-б-в-г-д-е-ё-ж-з-и-й-к-л-м-н-о-п-р-с-т-у-ф-х-ц-ч-ш-щ-ъ-ы-ь-э-ю-я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.�ﮞ˛���m�)z{.��+�Z+i�b�*'jW(�f�vǦj)h���Ǿ��i�������
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

Robert Smits
In reply to this post by dotancohen
On February 16, 2009 10:42:03 am Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2009/2/16 Robert Smits <[hidden email]>:
> > The subject line says it all.
> >
> > What can I do when installing KDE4 to make it work and look as much as
> > possible like KDE3.5.
> >
> > I'd like to find menus in the places I expect, I want to use Konqueror,
> > etc.
>
> 1) You can add the classic KDE 3 menu to the panel instead of the
> default menu. Though Suse in particular had the KDE4-type menu in
> KDE3.
>

That's OK. I've never liked the "new style" menu at all, and have always used
the old one.


> 2) What other _specific_ changes would you like?

Can I make Konqueror act like KDE3 Konqueror? Like being able to see all my
storage media in konqueror? Can I make dolphin go away, or is there actually
something it does that is useful - it just seems like a dumbed down konqueror
to me.


--
Bob Smits [hidden email]
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

JayLinux
In reply to this post by Robert Smits
> What can I do when installing KDE4 to make it work and look as much as
> possible like KDE3.5.
>
> I'd like to find menus in the places I expect, I want to use Konqueror, etc.
>
> Does anyone have a "cheat" sheet that tells us how to do this?
>
> Bob.
> --
> Bob Smits [hidden email]

Doesn't seem possible ... it is difficult even to make KDE 4.2 behave
like _itself_, mainly due to the (unstable) plasma/plasmoid component,
adds good looks while sacrificing functionality. All of this is due to
the added 'plasma/plasmoid' thing. Hopefully, the KDE 4.3 release
would be stable.

Have a read at these, might provide some more info-

http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.2/guide.php (Official KDE page)
http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.2/desktop.php

http://introducingkde4.blogspot.com/2008/11/plasma.html
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3883

Jay

--
Registered Linux User # 483705  @ http://counter.li.org/  (openSUSE 11.1, i686)
Smolts Profile:
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/?uuid=pub_b541a450-9bc1-45fd-beab-d46ee43a0108

kavitsh singh
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

jdd@dodin.org
In reply to this post by dotancohen
Robert Smits a écrit :

>> 1) You can add the classic KDE 3 menu to the panel instead of the
>> default menu. Though Suse in particular had the KDE4-type menu in
>> KDE3.

nope. the "recent apps used", in top of the menu is gone (you have to
use an other menu, very inconvenient)

> That's OK. I've never liked the "new style" menu at all, and have always used
> the old one.

even in kde3.5, some functions are now only available there, shame...

> Can I make Konqueror act like KDE3 Konqueror? Like being able to see all my
> storage media in konqueror? Can I make dolphin go away, or is there actually
> something it does that is useful - it just seems like a dumbed down konqueror
> to me.

the only thing that make me like dolphin was the left location column,
very convenient. There is an applet in kde3.5 that do part of the work
(make easy to find the mounted apps menu, to umount usb devices)

jdd



--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-eic8MSSfM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1412160445

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

dotancohen
In reply to this post by Robert Smits
>> 2) What other _specific_ changes would you like?
>
> Can I make Konqueror act like KDE3 Konqueror? Like being able to see all my
> storage media in konqueror?

I don't have a problem with seeing other hard drives and USB devices
in Konqueror. CAn you bve more specific?

> Can I make dolphin go away, or is there actually
> something it does that is useful - it just seems like a dumbed down konqueror
> to me.
>

Dolphin went from being terrible, to being just bad, to being great!
In KDE 4.2 Dolphin is a really, really great file manager! There was a
time where I would never have thought that I would say that. If you
are on KDE 4.1 then stick with Konqueror.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
а-б-в-г-д-е-ё-ж-з-и-й-к-л-м-н-о-п-р-с-т-у-ф-х-ц-ч-ш-щ-ъ-ы-ь-э-ю-я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.�ﮞ˛���m�)z{.��+�Z+i�b�*'jW(�f�vǦj)h���Ǿ��i�������
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

jfweber
In reply to this post by jdd@dodin.org
On February Monday 16 2009 1:44:28 pm jdd wrote:
> Robert Smits a écrit :
> > Does anyone have a "cheat" sheet that tells us how to do this?
>
> use kd3?
>
> any kde4 app run under kde3 (with it's libraries, of course)
>
> it's what I do
>
Don't install the full KDE4.x tho, just individual packages. If you install
the desktop for KDE4.x that takes over your KDE3.5 desktop so that doesn't
work,as it did before you made that 4.x install . Even thought they are
supposed to work independently, on my boxen it has proved not to do so  Even  
leaving me w/ a basically unusable 3.5 desktop.

For instance  KScreensaver disappeared, and tho the files are on the disk,
they only show in the 4.x desktop. I even reinstalled the packages for KDE3.5
but they still do not appear, even tho the daemon is still running. I can do
email(Kmail)  listen to music w/ xmms ( sometimes it's "ify") and sometimes
but not always web surf w/ Firefox  and or Konqi .

W/ teh 4,x desktop I can websurf w/ firefox and use teh KDe3.5 version of
Kmail. I can sometimes listend to music w/ Xmms. After that what I can do
depends , it would seem , on the *mood* ofan inanimate object ( the
computer.) It sometimes does't want to do the Production or Post on video
clips. Or currently, converting a program from Flash to Mpeg so It can play
on a normal a dvd player connected to a tv set.

That is the sort of thing I was doing routinely in the original version of
3.5 . This 11.1 install was the 1st time I installed 4.2 because it was said
it would install separately and run side by side w/ o either desktop taking
over . It was just going to be another desktop to try, play around w/ and get
used to as it is going to be the next version.

But it hasn't worked the same way as other desktop installs, Blackbox , for
instance never ever did anything that would interfere w/ my going into my kde
desktop and using it as before, The KDE desktop was the same. As if they
didn't even know the other (Desktop) system was there. Yet now the system
updater tool on the kicker frequently installs the kde4 items even when it is
in the 3.2 desktop.

I don't recall these diffuculty going to the kde3.5 version, nor even when we
did the first KDE3 items. Must be Oldtimers.


Beware installing the KDe4 desktop unless you are ready for the jump.
--
j
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

Will Stephenson-2
On Tuesday 17 February 2009 15:24:02 [hidden email] wrote:
> Don't install the full KDE4.x tho, just individual packages. If you install
> the desktop for KDE4.x that takes over your KDE3.5 desktop so that doesn't
> work,as it did before you made that 4.x install . Even thought they are
> supposed to work independently, on my boxen it has proved not to do so
> Even leaving me w/ a basically unusable 3.5 desktop.


If this happens it is a packaging bug, which we are here to fix. Please don't suggest people workaround or ignore these issues - tell us about it and we'll get it fixed. Putting up and shutting up just lets the distro bitrot.


> For instance KScreensaver disappeared, and tho the files are on the disk,
> they only show in the 4.x desktop. I even reinstalled the packages for
> KDE3.5 but they still do not appear, even tho the daemon is still running.
> I can do email(Kmail) listen to music w/ xmms ( sometimes it's "ify") and
> sometimes but not always web surf w/ Firefox and or Konqi .


Is this https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=447903 ?


Your other issues are hard to pin down, but I wonder if PulseAudio on 11.1 is a factor in your multimedia problems? Can you be more specific about your web surfing problems?


Will



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

Carlos E. R.-2
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1



On Wednesday, 2009-02-18 at 16:10 +0100, Will Stephenson wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 February 2009 15:24:02 jfweber@ wrote:
> > Don't install the full KDE4.x tho, just individual packages. If you install
> > the desktop for KDE4.x that takes over your KDE3.5 desktop so that doesn't
> > work,as it did before you made that 4.x install . Even thought they are
> > supposed to work independently, on my boxen it has proved not to do so
> > Even leaving me w/ a basically unusable 3.5 desktop.
>
>
> If this happens it is a packaging bug, which we are here to fix. Please don't suggest people workaround or
> ignore these issues - tell us about it and we'll get it fixed. Putting up and shutting up just lets the distro
> bitrot.

It's a known issue, because the path for kde 4 (/usr/bin) goes before the
path for kde 3 (/opt/kde3)

- --
Cheers,
        Carlos E. R.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkmccZgACgkQtTMYHG2NR9W9JwCcC1OOuIC0Bv90V75Mx46h0o4a
CogAnjUBRX33B6qsdUXuhAiMurGydFZZ
=j6SR
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

jdd@dodin.org
In reply to this post by Will Stephenson-2
Carlos E. R. a écrit :

> It's a known issue, because the path for kde 4 (/usr/bin) goes before
> the path for kde 3 (/opt/kde3)

I just had the opposite problem, just because I installed kde3
packages after kde4 ones.

just enough to change a path in the link. Kde3 is in /opt, kde4
usually in /usr/bin

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-eic8MSSfM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1412160445

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

Will Stephenson-2
In reply to this post by Carlos E. R.-2
On Wednesday 18 February 2009 21:37:35 Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On Wednesday, 2009-02-18 at 16:10 +0100, Will Stephenson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 February 2009 15:24:02 jfweber@ wrote:
> > > Don't install the full KDE4.x tho, just individual packages. If you
> > > install the desktop for KDE4.x that takes over your KDE3.5 desktop so
> > > that doesn't work,as it did before you made that 4.x install . Even
> > > thought they are supposed to work independently, on my boxen it has
> > > proved not to do so Even leaving me w/ a basically unusable 3.5
> > > desktop.
> >
> > If this happens it is a packaging bug, which we are here to fix. Please
> > don't suggest people workaround or ignore these issues - tell us about it
> > and we'll get it fixed. Putting up and shutting up just lets the distro
> > bitrot.
>
> It's a known issue, because the path for kde 4 (/usr/bin) goes before the
> path for kde 3 (/opt/kde3)

If you are starting things from alt-f2 or a shell you should know what you
have installed, what your PATH is and how to modify it.  If you're using the
menus, the KDE 3 apps are clearly indicated.  What else should we be doing?

By the way, we're actively looking for people to take over maintainership of
the KDE:KDE3 packages in the build service.  They are very mature and don't
require much care and pruning...

Will
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: How do I make KDE 4 work and look like KDE3

Larry Stotler
On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:02 AM, Will Stephenson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> By the way, we're actively looking for people to take over maintainership of
> the KDE:KDE3 packages in the build service.  They are very mature and don't
> require much care and pruning...

As badly as things are mixed together with 11.1, I don't know that you
can even have a real 3.x desktop anymore.  I've decided to skip 11.1
altogether because of all the problems.  11.0 is solid, and configured
the way I want/need it.  I have yet to test 11.1/KDE4 on my older
Thinkpads to see if the performance issues are solved, but it's not
looking promising.  Those older machines with the 4-8MB ATI Rage
Mobility chips aren't speed demons, and KDE4 was way too demanding on
the graphics chips.

Are the build service packages fully compatible with 11.0?  What
exactly would maintaining the build service entail?
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]