Help with help

My help system does not work at all. It has never worked, but now, after I
installed kde4 besides kde3 it is worse: some kde3 apps are overridden by
the kde4 app, like konqueror or kwrite.

If in konqueror (kde4 version) I type "help:kwrite" I get:

]  The requested help file could not be parsed:
] /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en//kwrite/index.docbook

If I type "help:kbabel" I get:

] There is no documentation available for /kbabel.

The help files for kde4 (kwrite is version 4) are under /usr/share/doc...,
all in docbook format, and konqueror is unable to open them. The help files
for kde3 (kbabel is version 3) are under /opt/kde3/share/doc..., all in
docbook format, and konqueror is unable to find them.

Different error, same result: I can not see the manuals.

More symptoms.

If in kbabel I select help, I get a firefox window, pointing to

http://nimrodel.valinor/susehelp/cgi-bin/showdir.cgi?lang=en&depth=1&cgiprefix=/susehelp/cgi-bin/&fileprefix=&header=1

showing this page:

]                                         SUSE Help
]
]
]Home    Content         Search Options  Search:
]
]     * Release Notes
]       A short description of the most important changes for this SUSE
]Linux release
]     * Novell AppArmor Administration Guide (en)
]       Novell AppArmor Administration Guide (en)
]           o GNU Licenses
]             GNU Licenses

but as the search system is broken (known and unsolved bug), the kbabel
manual is not found. I get the same error under gnome for a gnome app.
Apps with independent help system (gimp) work ok.

How do I get help working? Does somebody know?

Re: Help with help

Ed McCanless
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> My help system does not work at all. It has never worked, but now,
> after I installed kde4 besides kde3 it is worse: some kde3 apps are
> overridden by the kde4 app, like konqueror or kwrite.
>
> If in konqueror (kde4 version) I type "help:kwrite" I get:
>
> ]  The requested help file could not be parsed:
> ] /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en//kwrite/index.docbook
>
> If I type "help:kbabel" I get:
>
> ] There is no documentation available for /kbabel.
>
> The help files for kde4 (kwrite is version 4) are under
> /usr/share/doc..., all in docbook format, and konqueror is unable to
> open them. The help files for kde3 (kbabel is version 3) are under
> /opt/kde3/share/doc..., all in docbook format, and konqueror is unable
> to find them.
>
> Different error, same result: I can not see the manuals.
>

> More symptoms.
>
> If in kbabel I select help, I get a firefox window, pointing to
>
> http://nimrodel.valinor/susehelp/cgi-bin/showdir.cgi?lang=en&depth=1&cgiprefix=/susehelp/cgi-bin/&fileprefix=&header=1
>
> showing this page:
>

> ]                                         SUSE Help
> ]
> ]
> ]Home    Content         Search Options  Search:
> ]
> ]     * Release Notes
> ]       A short description of the most important changes for this
> SUSE ]Linux release
> ]     * Novell AppArmor Administration Guide (en)
> ]       Novell AppArmor Administration Guide (en)
> ]           o GNU Licenses
> ]             GNU Licenses
>

> but as the search system is broken (known and unsolved bug), the
> kbabel manual is not found. I get the same error under gnome for a
> gnome app. Apps with independent help system (gimp) work ok.
>

> How do I get help working? Does somebody know?
>
> -- Cheers,
>        Carlos E. R.
Carlos, I also have no help in 10.3 (I think that's what you are using?)
I've seen references to the problem, but no solutions. Will be watching.

                                           -ED-

Re: Help with help

Re: Help with help

Ed McCanless
Carlos E. R. wrote:

> My help system does not work at all. It has never worked, but now,
> after I installed kde4 besides kde3 it is worse: some kde3 apps are
> overridden by the kde4 app, like konqueror or kwrite.
>
> If in konqueror (kde4 version) I type "help:kwrite" I get:
>
> ]  The requested help file could not be parsed:
> ] /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en//kwrite/index.docbook
>
> If I type "help:kbabel" I get:
>
> ] There is no documentation available for /kbabel.
>
> The help files for kde4 (kwrite is version 4) are under
> /usr/share/doc..., all in docbook format, and konqueror is unable to
> open them.
I only have 8 dir's in /usr/share/doc....  Everything KDE seems to be
missing.
> The help files for kde3 (kbabel is version 3) are under
> /opt/kde3/share/doc..., all in docbook format, and konqueror is unable
> to find them.
<snip>

I have nothing in /opt/kde3/share/doc..., but empty dir's and Display
Manager for KDE 3.4

I am using Suse 10.3 64 bit, have never installed KDE 4.
Mine is still KDE 3.5.7 Release 72.6

                         -ED-

Re: Help with help