Help needed with acpupsd and a ACP 550 backups pro, config error?

Help needed with acpupsd and a ACP 550 backups pro, config error?

Stakanov Schufter
With 13.2 the acpupsd worked flawlessly. With 42.2 it segfaulted but to my
delight having updated the machine to 42.3 now it starts, all seems O.K.
BUT(!):
I have no communication. A fast check shows that:

sudo systemctl status acpid.service
[sudo] password di root:
●  apcupsd.service - APC UPS Power Control Daemon for Linux
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/apcupsd.service; enabled; vendor
preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since mer 2017-11-15 08:57:44 CET; 55min
ago
  Process: 12179 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/apcupsd -b -f /etc/apcupsd/apcupsd.conf
(code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
  Process: 12175 ExecStartPre=/bin/rm -f /etc/apcupsd/powerfail (code=exited,
status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 12179 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

nov 15 08:57:44 azzurro.fritz.box systemd[1]: Starting APC UPS Power Control
Daemon for Linux...
nov 15 08:57:44 azzurro.fritz.box systemd[1]: Started APC UPS Power Control
Daemon for Linux.
nov 15 08:57:44 azzurro.fritz.box apcupsd[12179]: apcupsd FATAL ERROR in
apcconfig.c at line 671
nov 15 08:57:44 azzurro.fritz.box apcupsd[12179]: Terminating due to
configuration file errors.
nov 15 08:57:44 azzurro.fritz.box systemd[1]: apcupsd.service: Main process
exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
nov 15 08:57:44 azzurro.fritz.box systemd[1]: apcupsd.service: Unit entered
failed state.
nov 15 08:57:44 azzurro.fritz.box systemd[1]: apcupsd.service: Failed with
result 'exit-code'.

Now the thing is, I did not really change something of the configfile and I do
not see any difference to the default file when it comes to settings or syntax.
If somebody sees or knows what is happening, I would be very grateful to point
me to a solution.
I get in the apc mon "unknown@localhost" is NISERR NIS network error. But
since I run it with locally attached usb cable.... ?

I controlled all cable settings and all cable plugs on the UPS and the
machine.
I join the config file here:

http://paste.opensuse.org/75785249

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help needed with acpupsd and a ACP 550 backups pro, config error?

Per Jessen
stakanov wrote:

> I controlled all cable settings and all cable plugs on the UPS and the
> machine.
> I join the config file here:
>
> http://paste.opensuse.org/75785249

Hi Stakanov

I think you need to use "UPSNAME apc550" instead of of only "apc550".

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (2.3°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - dedicated server rental in Switzerland.

Per Jessen wrote:

> stakanov wrote:
>
>> I controlled all cable settings and all cable plugs on the UPS and
>> the machine.
>> I join the config file here:
>>
>> http://paste.opensuse.org/75785249
>
> Hi Stakanov
>
> I think you need to use "UPSNAME apc550" instead of of only "apc550".

Your UPSTYPE is empty - maybe that ought to be "UPSTYPE usb" ?

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (2.4°C)
http://www.dns24.ch/ - your free DNS host, made in Switzerland.

In data venerdì 17 novembre 2017 09:53:56 CET, Per Jessen ha scritto:

> Per Jessen wrote:
> > stakanov wrote:
> >> I controlled all cable settings and all cable plugs on the UPS and
> >> the machine.
> >> I join the config file here:
> >>
> >> http://paste.opensuse.org/75785249
> >
> > Hi Stakanov
> >
> > I think you need to use "UPSNAME apc550" instead of of only "apc550".
>
> Your UPSTYPE is empty - maybe that ought to be "UPSTYPE usb" ?
I tried to put UPSTYPE usb
and
UPSNAME apc550

It takes now longer to have the program running, the network error is "network
busy". But in systemd I get the same config file error line 671
That looks like a bug?

stakanov wrote:

> In data venerdì 17 novembre 2017 09:53:56 CET, Per Jessen ha scritto:
>> Per Jessen wrote:

>> > Hi Stakanov
>> >
>> > I think you need to use "UPSNAME apc550" instead of of only
>> > "apc550".
>>
>> Your UPSTYPE is empty - maybe that ought to be "UPSTYPE usb" ?
> I tried to put UPSTYPE usb
> and
> UPSNAME apc550
>
> It takes now longer to have the program running, the network error is
> "network busy". But in systemd I get the same config file error line
> 671 That looks like a bug?

The error in 671 is just a common exit when errors were found the
config.
I guess you have no problem seeing your UPS:

lsusb

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.0°C)
http://www.hostsuisse.com/ - virtual servers, made in Switzerland.

Per Jessen wrote:

> stakanov wrote:

>>> Your UPSTYPE is empty - maybe that ought to be "UPSTYPE usb" ?
>> I tried to put UPSTYPE usb
>> and
>> UPSNAME apc550
>>
>> It takes now longer to have the program running, the network error is
>> "network busy". But in systemd I get the same config file error line
>> 671 That looks like a bug?
>
> The error in 671 is just a common exit when errors were found the
> config.
> I guess you have no problem seeing your UPS:
>
> lsusb

FWIW, I ran your config with apcupsd 3.14.13-8.45 from leap422, it
worked just fine, no complaints.  Then I upgraded to apcupsd
3.14.13-10.11 from leap423, also no problems starting it.

This is config I used:

UPSNAME apc550
UPSCABLE usb
UPSTYPE usb
LOCKFILE /etc/apcupsd
SCRIPTDIR /etc/apcupsd
PWRFAILDIR /etc/apcupsd
NOLOGINDIR /etc
ONBATTERYDELAY 6
BATTERYLEVEL 5
MINUTES 3
TIMEOUT 0
ANNOY 300
ANNOYDELAY 60
NOLOGON disable
KILLDELAY 0
NETSERVER on
NISIP 127.0.0.1
NISPORT 3551
EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
EVENTSFILEMAX 10
UPSCLASS standalone
UPSMODE disable
STATTIME 0
STATFILE /var/log/apcupsd.status
LOGSTATS off
DATATIME 0

I don't have your UPS, but a config error should have made it fall over
the same way yours did.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.0°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.

In data venerdì 17 novembre 2017 10:58:14 CET, Per Jessen ha scritto:

> stakanov wrote:

> >> Your UPSTYPE is empty - maybe that ought to be "UPSTYPE usb" ?
> >
> > I tried to put UPSTYPE usb
> > and
> > UPSNAME apc550
> >
> > It takes now longer to have the program running, the network error is
> > "network busy". But in systemd I get the same config file error line
> > 671 That looks like a bug?
>
> The error in 671 is just a common exit when errors were found the
> config.
> I guess you have no problem seeing your UPS:
>
> lsusb
Device is listed correctly with even the APC type and producer. So it does
communicate correctly. Can it be a conflict with KDE plasma5 powermanagement?

Re: Help needed with acpupsd and a ACP 550 backups pro, config error?

Patrick Shanahan-2
* stakanov <[hidden email]> [11-17-17 06:12]:

> In data venerdì 17 novembre 2017 10:58:14 CET, Per Jessen ha scritto:
> > stakanov wrote:

> > > I tried to put UPSTYPE usb
> > > and
> > > UPSNAME apc550
> > >
> > > It takes now longer to have the program running, the network error is
> > > "network busy". But in systemd I get the same config file error line
> > > 671 That looks like a bug?
> >
> > The error in 671 is just a common exit when errors were found the
> > config.
> > I guess you have no problem seeing your UPS:
> >
> > lsusb
> Device is listed correctly with even the APC type and producer. So it does
> communicate correctly. Can it be a conflict with KDE plasma5 powermanagement?

here is mine which works

server:
  UPSNAME paka-server
  UPSCABLE usb
  UPSTYPE usb
  DEVICE
  LOCKFILE /var/lock
  SCRIPTDIR /etc/apcupsd
  PWRFAILDIR /etc/apcupsd
  NOLOGINDIR /etc
  ONBATTERYDELAY 6
  BATTERYLEVEL 5
  MINUTES 3
  TIMEOUT 0
  ANNOY 300
  ANNOYDELAY 60
  NOLOGON disable
  KILLDELAY 0
  NETSERVER on
  NISIP 0.0.0.0
  NISPORT 3551
  EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
  EVENTSFILEMAX 10
  UPSCLASS standalone
  UPSMODE disable
  STATTIME 0
  STATFILE /var/log/apcupsd.status
  LOGSTATS off
  DATATIME 0
  UPSNAME paka-server
  BATTDATE 05/09/13

desktop:
  UPSNAME paka-ups
[...]
  BATTDATE 08/08/10

both work fine.

Re: Help needed with acpupsd and a ACP 550 backups pro, config error?

Patrick Shanahan-2
* Patrick Shanahan <[hidden email]> [11-17-17 08:07]:

> * stakanov <[hidden email]> [11-17-17 06:12]:

> > > The error in 671 is just a common exit when errors were found the
> > > config.
> > > I guess you have no problem seeing your UPS:
> > >
> > > lsusb
> > Device is listed correctly with even the APC type and producer. So it does
> > communicate correctly. Can it be a conflict with KDE plasma5 powermanagement?
>
> here is mine which works
>
> server:
>   UPSNAME paka-server
>   UPSCABLE usb
>   UPSTYPE usb
>   DEVICE
>   LOCKFILE /var/lock
>   SCRIPTDIR /etc/apcupsd
>   PWRFAILDIR /etc/apcupsd
>   NOLOGINDIR /etc
>   ONBATTERYDELAY 6
>   BATTERYLEVEL 5
>   MINUTES 3
>   TIMEOUT 0
>   ANNOY 300
>   ANNOYDELAY 60
>   NOLOGON disable
>   KILLDELAY 0
>   NETSERVER on
>   NISIP 0.0.0.0
>   NISPORT 3551
>   EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
>   EVENTSFILEMAX 10
>   UPSCLASS standalone
>   UPSMODE disable
>   STATTIME 0
>   STATFILE /var/log/apcupsd.status
>   LOGSTATS off
>   DATATIME 0
>   UPSNAME paka-server
>   BATTDATE 05/09/13
>

> desktop:
>   UPSNAME paka-ups
>   UPSCABLE usb
>   UPSTYPE usb
>   DEVICE
>   LOCKFILE /var/lock
>   SCRIPTDIR /etc/apcupsd
>   PWRFAILDIR /etc/apcupsd
>   NOLOGINDIR /etc
>   ONBATTERYDELAY 6
>   BATTERYLEVEL 5
>   MINUTES 3
>   TIMEOUT 0
>   ANNOY 300
>   ANNOYDELAY 60
>   NOLOGON disable
>   KILLDELAY 0
>   NETSERVER on
>   NISIP 0.0.0.0
>   NISPORT 3551
>   EVENTSFILE /var/log/apcupsd.events
>   EVENTSFILEMAX 10
>   UPSCLASS standalone
>   UPSMODE disable
>   STATTIME 0
>   STATFILE /var/log/apcupsd.status
>   LOGSTATS off
>   DATATIME 0
>   UPSNAME paka-ups
>   BATTDATE 08/08/10
>

> both work fine.

line with apc550 needs prefixed with "UPSNAME"

you have empty
  UPSTYPE

I believe NISIP should be "0.0.0.0"
you are connected by USB, not NETWORK

scritto:

> [...]
snip-snap shortened here

> I believe NISIP should be "0.0.0.0"
> you are connected by USB, not NETWORK

I actually did solve this by
erasing the original monitor and setting up a new
doing the changes you and Per noted to the config file,
setting to 0.0.0.0 and changing anyway the configfile of the new rpm to be the
main one
and finally I did stop and restart the group APC backups.
Now it works. Why I do not know but one of the things did work.
Maybe the internal software of the group needed a reset?