Help building perl package

Stefano Canepa
Dear all,
please forgive me if this is the wrong list to ask the question I'm
going to ask but I'm new to obs and opensuse package building.
As you can see in the log [1] I'm trying to build
perl-Module-Load-Conditional on CentOS 5 but as perl 5.8.8 contains the
same modules of perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker they conflicts. My question is:
it's possibile to avoid perl-ExtUtils-MakeMakes installation? I tryed
via condition in the spec file but without success. I took a look at
src.rpms from epel and other CentOS repository but did not successed.

TIA
Stefano

[1] http://pastebin.com/2WJLQS39

--
Stefano Canepa aka sc: [hidden email] - http://www.stefanocanepa.it
Three great virtues of a programmer: laziness, impatience and hubris.

Re: Help building perl package

Philipp Thomas-3
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 00:53:18 +0200, Stefano Canepa <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>please forgive me if this is the wrong list to ask the question I'm
>going to ask but I'm new to obs and opensuse package building.

I'd suggest also asking over on the opensuse-programming mailing list.

Philipp

Philipp Thomas  at "Sun, 26 Aug 2012 16:31:48 +0200" wrote:
 PT> On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 00:53:18 +0200, Stefano Canepa <[hidden email]>
 PT> wrote:

 >>please forgive me if this is the wrong list to ask the question I'm
 >>going to ask but I'm new to obs and opensuse package building.

 PT> I'd suggest also asking over on the opensuse-programming mailing list.

 PT> Philipp

Thanks.

Stefano
--
Stefano Canepa aka sc: [hidden email] - http://www.stefanocanepa.it
Three great virtues of a programmer: laziness, impatience and hubris.
Le tre grandi virtù di un programmatore: pigrizia, impazienza e
arroganza. (Larry Wall)

Re: Help building perl package

gregfreemyer
On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Stefano Canepa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
> please forgive me if this is the wrong list to ask the question I'm
> going to ask but I'm new to obs and opensuse package building.
> As you can see in the log [1] I'm trying to build
> perl-Module-Load-Conditional on CentOS 5 but as perl 5.8.8 contains the
> same modules of perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker they conflicts. My question is:
> it's possibile to avoid perl-ExtUtils-MakeMakes installation? I tryed
> via condition in the spec file but without success. I took a look at
> src.rpms from epel and other CentOS repository but did not successed.
>
> TIA
> Stefano
>
> [1] http://pastebin.com/2WJLQS39

Is perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker a sub-package of perl that can be uninstalled?

What does it "provide" that is causing it to be installed when perl is
installed?

If it can be uninstalled, you could make sure you have the same
"provides" metadata and then use a conflict statement to ensure only
one of the 2 is installed.

Be advised that openSUSE does not much care for conflicts in
specfiles, so it is not a desirable solution, but it may be an option
you need to explore.

Greg

Re: Help building perl package

Juergen Weigert-2
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Stefano Canepa <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> > please forgive me if this is the wrong list to ask the question I'm
> > going to ask but I'm new to obs and opensuse package building.
> > As you can see in the log [1] I'm trying to build
> > perl-Module-Load-Conditional on CentOS 5 but as perl 5.8.8 contains the
> > same modules of perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker they conflicts. My question is:
> > it's possibile to avoid perl-ExtUtils-MakeMakes installation? I tryed
> > via condition in the spec file but without success. I took a look at
> > src.rpms from epel and other CentOS repository but did not successed.

Would this help:?
BuildRequires:  -perl-ExtUtils-MakeMakes

On Aug 26, 12 16:44:48 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> Be advised that openSUSE does not much care for conflicts in
> specfiles, so it is not a desirable solution, but it may be an option
> you need to explore.
Greg, this is vague. I have no clue what situation you have in mind.
But maybe I should not care about unhelpful negative statements.

        cheers,
                JW-

--
 o \  Juergen Weigert  paint it green!    __/ _=======.=======_
<V> | [hidden email]       back to ascii!  __/        _---|____________\/

SuSE. Supporting Linux since 1992. ☺

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Juergen Weigert <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Stefano Canepa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> > please forgive me if this is the wrong list to ask the question I'm
>> > going to ask but I'm new to obs and opensuse package building.
>> > As you can see in the log [1] I'm trying to build
>> > perl-Module-Load-Conditional on CentOS 5 but as perl 5.8.8 contains the
>> > same modules of perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker they conflicts. My question is:
>> > it's possibile to avoid perl-ExtUtils-MakeMakes installation? I tryed
>> > via condition in the spec file but without success. I took a look at
>> > src.rpms from epel and other CentOS repository but did not successed.
>
> Would this help:?
> BuildRequires:  -perl-ExtUtils-MakeMakes
>
> On Aug 26, 12 16:44:48 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
>> Be advised that openSUSE does not much care for conflicts in
>> specfiles, so it is not a desirable solution, but it may be an option
>> you need to explore.
> Greg, this is vague. I have no clue what situation you have in mind.
> But maybe I should not care about unhelpful negative statements.

You said you were packaging for Fedora, so I don't know how relevant
it is, but here is the opeSUSE guidlines for the "conflicts" field:

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_conflicts

I quote this one small section:
===
Acceptable Uses of Conflicts:

As a general rule, openSUSE packages must NOT contain any usage of the
Conflicts: field. This field is commonly misused, when a Requires:
would usually be more appropriate. It confuses depsolvers and
end-users for no good reason. However, there are some cases in which
using the Conflicts: field is appropriate and acceptable.
===

Greg

Re: Help building perl package

Michael Schroeder-4
On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 06:00:30PM -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> You said you were packaging for Fedora, so I don't know how relevant
> it is, but here is the opeSUSE guidlines for the "conflicts" field:

As Tom "spot" Callaway is the author, it seems like this was copied
from Fedora.

> http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Packaging_conflicts
>
> I quote this one small section:
> ===
> Acceptable Uses of Conflicts:
>
> As a general rule, openSUSE packages must NOT contain any usage of the
> Conflicts: field. [...]

Oh my, "must" is a bit too much here. I'd prefer "should".

Cheers,
  Michael.

--
Michael Schroeder                                   [hidden email]
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH,  GF Jeff Hawn, HRB 16746 AG Nuernberg