Heads-up on KDE Applications 17.04

Fabian Vogt-2
Hi everyone!

KDE released KDE Applications 17.04 two days ago.

They decided (wrongly, in my opinion) a while ago to move tons of files
containing translations from a separate archive into the main packages.
This got executed between the beta and the release candidate.
Not only did this cause additional work for us packagers, which delayed the
initial packaging of the beta in the devel repo (KDE:Applications), but the
current state is even worse: Due to license incompatibilities of some
translations (GPL translations in LGPL applications) most of the applications
are currently stuck in the legal queue.

We have several options to fix this, but any one of those will take a while.
I assume it will take over a week to get the affected packages into Factory
and 42.3.

You can find some of the threads discussing the matter with upstream on
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2017-April/thread.html

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Cheers,
Fabian

Re: Heads-up on KDE Applications 17.04

Bruno Friedmann-2
On samedi, 22 avril 2017 22.24:05 h CEST Fabian Vogt wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> KDE released KDE Applications 17.04 two days ago.
>
> They decided (wrongly, in my opinion) a while ago to move tons of files
> containing translations from a separate archive into the main packages.
> This got executed between the beta and the release candidate.
> Not only did this cause additional work for us packagers, which delayed the
> initial packaging of the beta in the devel repo (KDE:Applications), but the
> current state is even worse: Due to license incompatibilities of some
> translations (GPL translations in LGPL applications) most of the
> applications are currently stuck in the legal queue.
>
> We have several options to fix this, but any one of those will take a while.
> I assume it will take over a week to get the affected packages into Factory
> and 42.3.
>
> You can find some of the threads discussing the matter with upstream on
> https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/release-team/2017-April/thread.html
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience!
>
> Cheers,
> Fabian

Fabian, and the rest of the team, thanks for the report, and the fight with
upstream.

Also, nice catch from legal :-)

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

Re: Heads-up on KDE Applications 17.04

Luca Beltrame
In data domenica 23 aprile 2017 19:25:34 CEST, Bruno Friedmann ha scritto:

> Fabian, and the rest of the team, thanks for the report, and the fight with
> upstream.

No fight, we're all on the same side. :P

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
GPG key ID: A29D259B

On dimanche, 23 avril 2017 19.27:58 h CEST Luca Beltrame wrote:
> In data domenica 23 aprile 2017 19:25:34 CEST, Bruno Friedmann ha scritto:
> > Fabian, and the rest of the team, thanks for the report, and the fight
> > with
> > upstream.
>
> No fight, we're all on the same side. :P

You're right fight seems over exagerate word, especially in this case ;-)

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch