Hardware problem

Koenraad Lelong
Hi,

Last weekend I experienced problems with my home desktop. It locked up
hard. When I power-cycled I remarked that some letters of the BIOS
boot-messages were distorted. If I had these, the PC could boot but it
couldn't go into graphics mode. Character-mode seemed fine.
Now and then it worked for a while.
I suspected the video-card. I took it out, and this morning I put it in
a PC here at work. Now it seems to work OK ! It's running a few hours
now without problem.
I ran memtest for several hours with zero errors but the screen was
distorted. With this I mean : the characters are there and readable but
there were a high number of small vertical lines, few tens of pixels
long, 1 pixel wide (I guess these numbers).
The video-card is an NVidia GeForce 8500 GT, a PCIexpress 16x board.
Next thing is the power-supply I'm going to investigate. Before it
locked up, it had good voltages though.
Anything else ?
Thanks for hints.
If it matters, the machine runs suse 10.2, but OS 11.2 is also installed
and has the same problems.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Koenraad Lelong

Re: Hardware problem

Felix Miata-3
On 2010/03/08 12:43 (GMT+0100) Koenraad Lelong composed:

> Last weekend I experienced problems with my home desktop. It locked up hard.
[ ...]
> the power-supply I'm going to investigate. Before it
> locked up, it had good voltages though.
> Anything else ?
> If it matters, the machine runs suse 10.2, but OS 11.2 is also installed
> and has the same problems.

Running 10.2 likely the machine is more than 3 years old. That's near the end
of a period of several years of motherboards and power supplies manufactured
with defective caps. Pop your covers and inspect. I've had good luck
replacing just caps, but most people replace the affected motherboard or
power supply. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Hardware problem

Koenraad Lelong
Felix Miata schreef:

> On 2010/03/08 12:43 (GMT+0100) Koenraad Lelong composed:
>
>> Last weekend I experienced problems with my home desktop. It locked up hard.
> [ ...]
>> the power-supply I'm going to investigate. Before it
>> locked up, it had good voltages though.
>> Anything else ?
>> If it matters, the machine runs suse 10.2, but OS 11.2 is also installed
>> and has the same problems.
>
> Running 10.2 likely the machine is more than 3 years old. That's near the end
> of a period of several years of motherboards and power supplies manufactured
> with defective caps. Pop your covers and inspect. I've had good luck
> replacing just caps, but most people replace the affected motherboard or
> power supply. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Hi Felix,

The machine is about 2.5 years old. 10.2 was current then.
The problem with those caps is older I believe (I had such a board).
Still, I'm going to check. Thanks for reminding me.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Koenraad Lelong

Re: Hardware problem

John Andersen-2
On 3/8/2010 3:43 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last weekend I experienced problems with my home desktop. It locked up
> hard. When I power-cycled I remarked that some letters of the BIOS
> boot-messages were distorted. If I had these, the PC could boot but it
> couldn't go into graphics mode. Character-mode seemed fine.
> Now and then it worked for a while.
> I suspected the video-card. I took it out, and this morning I put it in
> a PC here at work. Now it seems to work OK ! It's running a few hours
> now without problem.
> I ran memtest for several hours with zero errors but the screen was
> distorted. With this I mean : the characters are there and readable but
> there were a high number of small vertical lines, few tens of pixels
> long, 1 pixel wide (I guess these numbers).
> The video-card is an NVidia GeForce 8500 GT, a PCIexpress 16x board.
> Next thing is the power-supply I'm going to investigate. Before it
> locked up, it had good voltages though.
> Anything else ?
> Thanks for hints.
> If it matters, the machine runs suse 10.2, but OS 11.2 is also installed
> and has the same problems.

This used to be fairly common occurrence years ago when vid cards were populated
with plug in memory chips.  Usually you could simply squeeze each chip tightly
into its socket.  Unless you have some socketed memory its unlikely to be
your problem.

You could have a clock issue on the card. But your post above seems to suggest
it works fine in a different machine. (You said it did, but then the next sentence
said it didn't, so which is it).

Also check the motherboard for bulging/leaking Capacitors. I've seen this
manifest itself in wierd ways as well, as often these are uses in filter
circuits and when they short out unwanted frequencies seep into other
circuits, causing havoc.  If you find them, your mobo is toast.

Re: Hardware problem

Koenraad Lelong
John Andersen schreef:
> On 3/8/2010 3:43 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
>> Hi,

> This used to be fairly common occurrence years ago when vid cards were populated
> with plug in memory chips.  Usually you could simply squeeze each chip tightly
> into its socket.  Unless you have some socketed memory its unlikely to be
> your problem.
>
> You could have a clock issue on the card. But your post above seems to suggest
> it works fine in a different machine. (You said it did, but then the next sentence
> said it didn't, so which is it).
>
> Also check the motherboard for bulging/leaking Capacitors. I've seen this
> manifest itself in wierd ways as well, as often these are uses in filter
> circuits and when they short out unwanted frequencies seep into other
> circuits, causing havoc.  If you find them, your mobo is toast.
Hi John,

Sorry if I was unclear.
When the PC began to have problems, I booted the install disk of OS
11.1, which I had at hand. With that I ran memtest for about 18 hours. I
had zero errors, but the screen had those stripes.

I then removed the video-card and plugged it in a PC at work. It's
working for about 24hours now, without problems.

About the memory-chips in sockects : the card does not have them, they
are soldered on the board (BGA).
About the clock : I didn't tweak it, so I presume it should work, like
it always had in the years before.
There are no bulging or leaking capacitors on the mother-board or the
video-card.

The strange thing is I plugged the video-card of the PC at work in the
PC at home and started 3 glxgears and resized them. I saw the
temperature of the GPU rise, but it didn't have problems. But since it's
another card (GeForce 7500 something) I can't rule out the power-supply.
I'm going to switch the cards again tonight and see what happens. I'm
also going to swap the power-supply if the problems appear again.

Thanks for the suggestions.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Koenraad Lelong

Re: Hardware problem

Felix Miata-3
On 2010/03/09 08:24 (GMT+0100) Koenraad Lelong composed:

> There are no bulging or leaking capacitors on the mother-board or the
> video-card.

What about the power supply? They tend to use cheaper caps than motherboards,
so more likely the bulging/leaking in them.

P.S I've never encountered or heard of bulging/leaking cap encounters on
video cards.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Hardware problem

Fred A. Miller
On 03/09/2010 02:38 AM, Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2010/03/09 08:24 (GMT+0100) Koenraad Lelong composed:
>

>> There are no bulging or leaking capacitors on the mother-board or the
>> video-card.
>>
> What about the power supply? They tend to use cheaper caps than motherboards,
> so more likely the bulging/leaking in them.
>
> P.S I've never encountered or heard of bulging/leaking cap encounters on
> video cards.

Yep......but only once. It was on a Matrox of "yesteryear."

Fred

--
“The sword of Muhammad and the Qur'an are the most fatal enemies of
civilization, liberty and truth which the world has ever known - an

Re: Hardware problem

David Haller-4
Hello,

On Tue, 09 Mar 2010, Fred A. Miller wrote:

>On 03/09/2010 02:38 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
>> On 2010/03/09 08:24 (GMT+0100) Koenraad Lelong composed:
>>

>>> There are no bulging or leaking capacitors on the mother-board or the
>>> video-card.
>>>
>> What about the power supply? They tend to use cheaper caps than motherboards,
>> so more likely the bulging/leaking in them.
>>
>> P.S I've never encountered or heard of bulging/leaking cap encounters on
>> video cards.

I have a ~3yr old EVGA nVidia 7600GS with almost all caps bulging
and/or leaking lying around here. It was still working when I switched
it for a new MSI 8400GS (a couple of months ago) in the "new" PC.

>Yep......but only once. It was on a Matrox of "yesteryear."

Old box: $ lspci | grep VGA
00:0b.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA 1064SG [Mystique] (rev 02)

Doesn't even have a cooler, just the naked Chip (4 MB version though):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MatroxMystique2MBcard.jpg
http://www.yjfy.com/images/oldhard/video/1064.jpg

Caps? *scratches head* ;)

-dnh

--
The only languages that can comfortably be written with the repertoire of
US-ASCII happen to be Latin, Swahili, Hawaiian and American English without

Re: Hardware problem

Koenraad Lelong
Felix Miata schreef:

> On 2010/03/09 08:24 (GMT+0100) Koenraad Lelong composed:
>
>> There are no bulging or leaking capacitors on the mother-board or the
>> video-card.
>
> What about the power supply? They tend to use cheaper caps than motherboards,
> so more likely the bulging/leaking in them.
>
> P.S I've never encountered or heard of bulging/leaking cap encounters on
> video cards.
Hi,

An update.
Yesterday I placed the original card in the PC. It ran almost the whole
day, without problems. I had a spare power-supply at hand, but I didn't
need it.
As far as I can see, the original power-supply has no strange looking
capacitors.
So the problem went away. It can't be bad contacts because one of the
first things I did was removing the card and reseating it several times,
to clean the contacts. But the problem still was there.
Of course nothing is certain.
Thanks for your suggestions.
--
Met vriendelijke groeten,