HP only prints on HP paper

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
44 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

HP only prints on HP paper

lynn-32
I have a deskjet F2280. Normal photocopy paper works fine.

To get high quality prints, I have to use HP paper. It will not feed any other
(I have tried kodak and epson which I'd like to use).

Printer setup by yast. OS 11.2 with KDE 3.4.5

Is there any way I can fool it into thinking it's HP paper?

Thanks
L x
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

Cristian Rodríguez-2
On 29/01/10 10:39, lynn wrote:

> To get high quality prints, I have to use HP paper. It will not feed any other

I doubt that vendor lock-in has gone that far, there must be another
problem in your printer.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

M. Fioretti-2
In reply to this post by lynn-32
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 14:39:59 PM +0100, lynn ([hidden email]) wrote:

> I have a deskjet F2280. Normal photocopy paper works fine.  To get
> high quality prints, I have to use HP paper. It will not feed any
> other (I have tried kodak and epson which I'd like to use).  Printer
> setup by yast. OS 11.2 with KDE 3.4.5 Is there any way I can fool it
> into thinking it's HP paper?

Sorry, I have no technical advice, but I would really like to have a
confirmation about this: you are saying that the printer doesn't
simply print bad, but that it physically refuses to take in other
brands of paper? And is this documented somewhere online? I couldn't
find any confirmation myself, but I would really like to know for sure
(especially now that I'd need to buy a new printer...)

              TIA,
                        Marco
--
Enough with this "Free Software is communist" myth! Please!
http://stop.zona-m.net/it/node/87
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

lynn-32
In reply to this post by lynn-32
On Friday 29 January 2010 14:39:59 lynn wrote:

> I have a deskjet F2280. Normal photocopy paper works fine.
>
> To get high quality prints, I have to use HP paper. It will not feed any
>  other (I have tried kodak and epson which I'd like to use).
>
> Printer setup by yast. OS 11.2 with KDE 3.4.5
>
> Is there any way I can fool it into thinking it's HP paper?
>
> Thanks
> L x
>

I couldn't
find any confirmation myself, but I would really like to know for sure
(especially now that I'd need to buy a new printer...)
 TIA,
                        Marco


The quality of the print with hp photo paper is excellent. It will not however
feed any other brand of photo paper.
THanks. L x
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

M. Fioretti-2
On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 08:56:09 AM +0100, lynn ([hidden email]) wrote:

> The quality of the print with hp photo paper is excellent.

Lynn,

thanks for the prompt answer, however my question was slightly
different. What you say above is clear, but what I'm really looking
for is some official source (press release, online HP manual,
something like that) that explicitly says that this:

> It will not however feed any other brand of photo paper.

is a "feature" of that printer. I'm asking not because I don't trust
you, but because such sources would be important if one wanted to
complain with consumer associations and similar.

         TIA,
                Marco
--
OOo4Kids, the office suite for all children... and their parents:
http://stop.zona-m.net/node/42
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

Basil Chupin-2
On 01/02/10 19:05, M. Fioretti wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 08:56:09 AM +0100, lynn ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
>  
>> The quality of the print with hp photo paper is excellent.
>>    
> Lynn,
>
> thanks for the prompt answer, however my question was slightly
> different. What you say above is clear, but what I'm really looking
> for is some official source (press release, online HP manual,
> something like that) that explicitly says that this:
>
>  
>> It will not however feed any other brand of photo paper.
>>    
> is a "feature" of that printer. I'm asking not because I don't trust
> you, but because such sources would be important if one wanted to
> complain with consumer associations and similar.
>
> TIA,
> Marco
>  
Why don't you go to the Hewlett Packard website and download the Full
User Manual for the printer. It's all there if you bother to read it
properly.

BC


--
"Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony."

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

M. Fioretti-2
On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 19:36:03 PM +1100, Basil Chupin ([hidden email]) wrote:

> Why don't you go to the Hewlett Packard website and download the
> Full User Manual for the printer. It's all there if you bother to
> read it properly.

Because:

1) I *had* done my homework before, and found:

   http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c01469973.pdf
   http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01413585&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3390947#N1422

2) those documents only say "Up to 4800 x 1200-optimised dpi colour
   when printing from a computer on select HP photo papers and
   1200-input dpi."

3) what Lynn actually said twice in this thread before your remark is:

   "The quality of the print with hp photo paper is excellent. It will
   not however feed any other brand of photo paper"

   which is quite another issue, as I had already made clear. What the
   docs do say is that HP **only guarantees** that resolution with a
   certain paper, not that the hardware itself will just **refuse** to
   work with other paper at that quality.

4) Had I not asked, you would have missed an opportunity to show that
   you didn't bother to read the thread carefully.

                  Marco
--
Enough with this "Free Software is communist" myth! Please!
http://stop.zona-m.net/node/87
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

Basil Chupin-2
On 01/02/10 20:14, M. Fioretti wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 19:36:03 PM +1100, Basil Chupin ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
>  
>> Why don't you go to the Hewlett Packard website and download the
>> Full User Manual for the printer. It's all there if you bother to
>> read it properly.
>>    
> Because:
>
> 1) I *had* done my homework before, and found:
>
>    http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c01469973.pdf
>    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01413585&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3390947#N1422
>
> 2) those documents only say "Up to 4800 x 1200-optimised dpi colour
>    when printing from a computer on select HP photo papers and
>    1200-input dpi."
>
> 3) what Lynn actually said twice in this thread before your remark is:
>
>    "The quality of the print with hp photo paper is excellent. It will
>    not however feed any other brand of photo paper"
>
>    which is quite another issue, as I had already made clear. What the
>    docs do say is that HP **only guarantees** that resolution with a
>    certain paper, not that the hardware itself will just **refuse** to
>    work with other paper at that quality.
>
> 4) Had I not asked, you would have missed an opportunity to show that
>    you didn't bother to read the thread carefully.
>
>                   Marco
>  
Do you want help or do you want to get stroppy?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=uk&dlc=en&product=3390947&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN

Read the bloody thing!

I have an HP and I can print photos on any sort of paper - although I
haven't tried toilet paper.

HP will always promote their own paper but it doesn't mean you cannot
use other brands.

BC

--
"Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony."

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

M. Fioretti-2
On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 20:59:48 PM +1100, Basil Chupin ([hidden email]) wrote:

> Do you want help or do you want to get stroppy?
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=uk&dlc=en&product=3390947&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN
>
> Read the bloody thing!

Duh. It's great that you

> have an HP and I can print photos on any sort of paper

but that's not what I asked, and frankly I don't really care. I was
looking for an explicit answer to a single, **very, very specific
question**. I haven't seen it yet, not even in the full user manual
you provided, which I just checked. So let's stop here, especially
because it isn't even really on topic.

           Marco
--
If you died now, who would take care of your DIGITAL you?
http://stop.zona-m.net/node/82
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

Brian K. White
In reply to this post by Basil Chupin-2
Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 01/02/10 20:14, M. Fioretti wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 19:36:03 PM +1100, Basil Chupin ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>
>>  
>>> Why don't you go to the Hewlett Packard website and download the
>>> Full User Manual for the printer. It's all there if you bother to
>>> read it properly.
>>>    
>> Because:
>>
>> 1) I *had* done my homework before, and found:
>>
>>    http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c01469973.pdf
>>    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01413585&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3390947#N1422
>>
>> 2) those documents only say "Up to 4800 x 1200-optimised dpi colour
>>    when printing from a computer on select HP photo papers and
>>    1200-input dpi."
>>
>> 3) what Lynn actually said twice in this thread before your remark is:
>>
>>    "The quality of the print with hp photo paper is excellent. It will
>>    not however feed any other brand of photo paper"
>>
>>    which is quite another issue, as I had already made clear. What the
>>    docs do say is that HP **only guarantees** that resolution with a
>>    certain paper, not that the hardware itself will just **refuse** to
>>    work with other paper at that quality.
>>
>> 4) Had I not asked, you would have missed an opportunity to show that
>>    you didn't bother to read the thread carefully.
>>
>>                   Marco
>>  
> Do you want help or do you want to get stroppy?
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=uk&dlc=en&product=3390947&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN
>
> Read the bloody thing!
>
> I have an HP and I can print photos on any sort of paper - although I
> haven't tried toilet paper.
>
> HP will always promote their own paper but it doesn't mean you cannot
> use other brands.
>
> BC
>

The PDF M. Fioretti referenced is the same one you referenced.
So, he has read it, and does not find anything in there that says the
printer will not function at all with any other brand of paper.

So at this point it's kind of dumb to just say "read the manual" and
point at the same manual he already claimed to read.

If you believe this document supports the claim that the printer will
only work with HP paper, I would like to see a pointer to exactly what
part(s), because I have looked over the document and I see no such
statement or implication.

If you believe this document does not support that claim, then I would
like to know what was the point of your last post, since you seemed to
be objecting to what M. Fioretti said, yet saying only the same thing
yourself.

--
bkw
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

Basil Chupin-2
On 01/02/10 22:34, Brian K. White wrote:

> Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 01/02/10 20:14, M. Fioretti wrote:
>>> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 19:36:03 PM +1100, Basil Chupin
>>> ([hidden email]) wrote:
>>>
>>>  
>>>> Why don't you go to the Hewlett Packard website and download the
>>>> Full User Manual for the printer. It's all there if you bother to
>>>> read it properly.
>>>>    
>>> Because:
>>>
>>> 1) I *had* done my homework before, and found:
>>>
>>>    http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c01469973.pdf
>>>  
>>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01413585&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3390947#N1422
>>>
>>>
>>> 2) those documents only say "Up to 4800 x 1200-optimised dpi colour
>>>    when printing from a computer on select HP photo papers and
>>>    1200-input dpi."
>>>
>>> 3) what Lynn actually said twice in this thread before your remark is:
>>>
>>>    "The quality of the print with hp photo paper is excellent. It will
>>>    not however feed any other brand of photo paper"
>>>
>>>    which is quite another issue, as I had already made clear. What the
>>>    docs do say is that HP **only guarantees** that resolution with a
>>>    certain paper, not that the hardware itself will just **refuse** to
>>>    work with other paper at that quality.
>>>
>>> 4) Had I not asked, you would have missed an opportunity to show that
>>>    you didn't bother to read the thread carefully.
>>>
>>>                           Marco
>>>  
>> Do you want help or do you want to get stroppy?
>>
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=uk&dlc=en&product=3390947&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN
>>
>>
>> Read the bloody thing!
>>
>> I have an HP and I can print photos on any sort of paper - although I
>> haven't tried toilet paper.
>>
>> HP will always promote their own paper but it doesn't mean you cannot
>> use other brands.
>>
>> BC
>>
>
> The PDF M. Fioretti referenced is the same one you referenced.
> So, he has read it, and does not find anything in there that says the
> printer will not function at all with any other brand of paper.
>
> So at this point it's kind of dumb to just say "read the manual" and
> point at the same manual he already claimed to read.
>
> If you believe this document supports the claim that the printer will
> only work with HP paper, I would like to see a pointer to exactly what
> part(s), because I have looked over the document and I see no such
> statement or implication.
>
> If you believe this document does not support that claim, then I would
> like to know what was the point of your last post, since you seemed to
> be objecting to what M. Fioretti said, yet saying only the same thing
> yourself.
>
I guess that I will just have to go back to school and relearn the
English language, and brush up on my Logical Analysis.

To quote Mauro:

QUOTE

Lynn,

thanks for the prompt answer, however my question was slightly
different. What you say above is clear, but what I'm really looking
for is some official source (press release, online HP manual,
something like that) that explicitly says that this:


> > It will not however feed any other brand of photo paper.
>  
is a "feature" of that printer.

UNQUOTE

Let's go over this again.

"...but what I'm really looking
for is some *official source* (press release, online *HP manual*,
something like that) that explicitly says...."


Now, how can one find an "official source....like..HP Manual" which will state anything else than what the official Manual now states?!

Where will you ever find an "official" manual which will contradict what an "official" manual states?

From the manual:


"The HP Deskjet F2200 All-in-One series is a versatile device that enables easy-to-use
copying, scanning, and printing.
Copy
The HP All-in-One allows you to produce high-quality color and black-and-white copies
on a variety of paper types. You can enlarge or reduce the size of an original to fit a
specific paper size, adjust the copy quality, and make high-quality copies of photos."


"On a variety of paper types".

Are we OK on this so far, folks?

And also:


"NOTE: The HP All-in-One cannot automatically detect the paper type. For best
results, set the paper type to transparency film in the software before printing onto
transparency film."


Ah, "the HP...cannot *automatically* detect all the paper type".

So what does one have to do to make it accept other types? No gold stars for coming up with the answer, but "RTFM" comes to mind.


Ah, and here is another gem:



"In the Print Quality drop-down list, select the appropriate quality setting for your
project.
NOTE: To view the maximum dpi that the product will print, click Resolution.
In the Paper Type drop-down list, select the type of paper that you have loaded."


The other thing in all this, of course, is that HP has not only a Support department but also a forum where users ask questions and have them answered - just like openSUSE. Got a problem which you think is an HP product related, go ask there.

PAX.


BC






--
"Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony."UNQUOTE

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

Johannes Meixner
In reply to this post by lynn-32

Hello,

On Friday 29 January 2010 14:39:59 lynn wrote:
> I have a deskjet F2280. Normal photocopy paper works fine.
>
> To get high quality prints, I have to use HP paper.
> It will not feed any other (I have tried kodak
> and epson which I'd like to use).
>
> Printer setup by yast. OS 11.2 with KDE 3.4.5

More specific information is needed:

Which exact driver you use (see the YaST dialogs)?

Which exact print job option settings do you use
for high quality prints?
Prefereably do test-prints via command line so that you know
the exact job option settings.
If you test printing with whatever kind of document from
whatever kind of application program via whatever kind of
desktop environment, the root cause of the issue could be
everywhere in this huge stack of software magic.
Print a PostScript file, for example the YaST test page
   /usr/share/YaST2/data/testprint.ps
using a command like
   lp -d queue -o option1=valueA -o option2=valueN file
Run
   lpoptions -p queue -l
to get your particular driver-specific options.
The output has the following syntax:
   option1/translation-string1: valueA valueB ...
   option2/translation-string2: valueM valueN ...
The value of the default setting is marked with an
asterisk '*' preceding the actual value e.g. '*valueB'.


Regarding the question if certain HP printers may not feed
non-HP paper for whatever special print mode, best ask
HP directly for example via
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html
provided you use the HPLIP driver.
To make sure you use the HPLIP driver, set up a
print queue by HP's own setup tool "hp-setup".
To do this, best run "hp-setup" directly as root.


Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

lynn-32
In reply to this post by M. Fioretti-2
On Monday 01 February 2010 12:22:10 M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 20:59:48 PM +1100, Basil Chupin ([hidden email])
wrote:

> > Do you want help or do you want to get stroppy?
> >
> > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=uk&dlc=en&product=33
> >90947&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN
> >
> > Read the bloody thing!
>
> Duh. It's great that you
>
> > have an HP and I can print photos on any sort of paper
>
> but that's not what I asked, and frankly I don't really care. I was
> looking for an explicit answer to a single, **very, very specific
> question**. I haven't seen it yet, not even in the full user manual
> you provided, which I just checked. So let's stop here, especially
> because it isn't even really on topic.
>
>   Marco
>
Well folks, I've tried rtfm several times and cannot get anything other than
photocopy paper and HP photo paper to load. Does anyone know how to make other
makes of photo paper load?

HP F2280 with OS 11.2 updated yesterday.

Thanks L x
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

masterpatricko
On 09/02/10 15:17, lynn wrote:
> Well folks, I've tried rtfm several times and cannot get anything other than
> photocopy paper and HP photo paper to load. Does anyone know how to make other
> makes of photo paper load?
>
> HP F2280 with OS 11.2 updated yesterday.
>  
Just had a look through this thread ...

Lynn, can you explain exactly what you are trying to do when you are
printing? I don't understand the context of your use of the word "load"

Is the problem that the paper will not physically fit in the tray?
    If that's the case, check A4 vs letter and suchlike.

Is the problem that the paper is not being fed correctly into the
printer when it tries to start printing?
    Is the other brand photopaper sticky/have a different surface? Try
feeding just one page in at a time.
    In printers with a front and rear tray (as I think yours does),
sometimes photopaper only works in one of the trays. Try the paper in both.

Of course, if it works from any other OS that rules out the above
hardware issues.

Is the problem that the printer hardware gives an error/doesnt print if
your try and change the paper type on the software settings before you
print?
or that the software gives a printing error if you try and change the
paper type on the software settings?
    If that's the case, try printing with your other brand photo paper
but selecting the HP photo paper type.

The reason this seems strange is that there is nothing to differentiate
HP photo paper from other photo paper. If it physically fits in the tray
(and is flexible like paper, and has approximately the right surface), I
cannot see any way that a printer can detect its brand. If HP had
invented a way to brand their paper invisibly I'm sure more people would
know about this ...

Regards,
Tejas
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

M. Fioretti-2
On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 16:37:36 PM +0000, Tejas Guruswamy ([hidden email]) wrote:

> The reason this seems strange is that there is nothing to
> differentiate HP photo paper from other photo paper. If it
> physically fits in the tray (and is flexible like paper, and has
> approximately the right surface), I cannot see any way that a
> printer can detect its brand. If HP had invented a way to brand
> their paper invisibly I'm sure more people would know about this ...

From: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-236251-14438-3328074-468001.html

[HP Deskjet 6940 Printer] "Media sensor detects paper type and
automatically sets print quality to ensure optimal results"

So it does seem possible (especially when the same company makes both
the sensor and the paper).

      Marco
--
Mr Label's nightmare: what really, really scares him
http://stop.zona-m.net/node/88
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

John Andersen-2
On 2/9/2010 10:40 AM, M. Fioretti wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 16:37:36 PM +0000, Tejas Guruswamy ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
>> The reason this seems strange is that there is nothing to
>> differentiate HP photo paper from other photo paper. If it
>> physically fits in the tray (and is flexible like paper, and has
>> approximately the right surface), I cannot see any way that a
>> printer can detect its brand. If HP had invented a way to brand
>> their paper invisibly I'm sure more people would know about this ...
>
> From: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-236251-14438-3328074-468001.html
>
> [HP Deskjet 6940 Printer] "Media sensor detects paper type and
> automatically sets print quality to ensure optimal results"
>
> So it does seem possible (especially when the same company makes both
> the sensor and the paper).
>
>       Marco

So, not a linux issue at all, and severely off topic.
Die thread, Die.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
In reply to this post by M. Fioretti-2
On 02/09/2010 01:40 PM, M. Fioretti pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 16:37:36 PM +0000, Tejas Guruswamy ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
>> The reason this seems strange is that there is nothing to
>> differentiate HP photo paper from other photo paper. If it
>> physically fits in the tray (and is flexible like paper, and has
>> approximately the right surface), I cannot see any way that a
>> printer can detect its brand. If HP had invented a way to brand
>> their paper invisibly I'm sure more people would know about this ...
>
> From: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-236251-14438-3328074-468001.html
>
> [HP Deskjet 6940 Printer] "Media sensor detects paper type and
> automatically sets print quality to ensure optimal results"
>
> So it does seem possible (especially when the same company makes both
> the sensor and the paper).
>
>       Marco

It says "paper type" _not_ manufacturer. Unless some new technology has
been developed I doubt that the manufacturer of the paper can be
detected and if it has people will start screaming anti-trust quicker
than you can blink your eye.

Didn't Lexmark lose a case where they required that only their brand of
toner or ink could be used in their printers?

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

John Andersen-2
On 2/9/2010 11:07 AM, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

> It says "paper type" _not_ manufacturer. Unless some new technology has
> been developed I doubt that the manufacturer of the paper can be
> detected

Really?  You doubt that?  A simple conductance test could server the purpose.
Photo paper is different on each side.  A simple comparison would do.

Die Thread Die.



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

Brian K. White

> Die Thread Die.

...says the active participant

--
bkw
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HP only prints on HP paper

Carlos E. R.-2
In reply to this post by Ken Schneider - openSUSE
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1



On Tuesday, 2010-02-09 at 14:07 -0500, Ken Schneider - openSUSE wrote:

> On 02/09/2010 01:40 PM, M. Fioretti pecked at the keyboard and wrote:

>> From: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-236251-14438-3328074-468001.html
>>
>> [HP Deskjet 6940 Printer] "Media sensor detects paper type and
>> automatically sets print quality to ensure optimal results"
>>
>> So it does seem possible (especially when the same company makes both
>> the sensor and the paper).
>
> It says "paper type" _not_ manufacturer. Unless some new technology has
> been developed I doubt that the manufacturer of the paper can be
> detected and if it has people will start screaming anti-trust quicker
> than you can blink your eye.

It could be that the paper is not exactly the same. Different brands will
make photo paper slightly different, enough for the sensor to not accept
it. What about invisible marking in the HP paper?

But in that case they should say clearly so in the manual. In the part you
read before buying.

I have an HP color laser printer, and it clearly warns about the quality
of the paper and recommends hp paper (which I don't buy, they don't sell it
on supermarkets). I haven't tried photo paper, though.



- --
Cheers,
        Carlos E. R.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAktxw64ACgkQtTMYHG2NR9ULpACbB4MbDsxHCZDkjocq7lvb2zjv
Ec0AniyJQ92uCCzaJ63lepsAhpIURfP3
=SUeJ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

123