Gstreamer 010 removal breaks firefox youtube playbak

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gstreamer 010 removal breaks firefox youtube playbak

tomtomme
Few days ago we had a thread about the upcoming gstreamer 010 removal.
I already tried it and wanted to warn you that it breaks html5 videos in
firefox. Not all, but at least youtube and some other videosites are
looping only 1 second of the video while audio is fine. Chrome is also
not affected. Reinstalling 010 fixes firefos html5 vids.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gstreamer 010 removal breaks firefox youtube playbak

Atri Bhattacharya
Hi!

On Sat, 2017-01-07 at 20:42 +0100, Thomas Langkamp wrote:
> Few days ago we had a thread about the upcoming gstreamer 010
> removal.
> I already tried it and wanted to warn you that it breaks html5 videos
> in 
> firefox. Not all, but at least youtube and some other videosites are 
> looping only 1 second of the video while audio is fine. Chrome is
> also 
> not affected. Reinstalling 010 fixes firefos html5 vids.

Is this on a Tumbleweed system or Leap? I am on TW, and don't have any
gstreamer-0_10 installed here. But youtube html5 vids work flawlessly
on mine.

Best wishes.
--
Atri Bhattacharya
Sun  8 Jan 01:18:54 IST 2017

Sent from openSUSE Tumbleweed on my laptop.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gstreamer 010 removal breaks firefox youtube playbak

Frank Krüger
In reply to this post by tomtomme
On Sat, 2017-01-07 at 20:42 +0100, Thomas Langkamp wrote:

    Few days ago we had a thread about the upcoming gstreamer 010
    removal.
    I already tried it and wanted to warn you that it breaks html5 videos
    in
    firefox. Not all, but at least youtube and some other videosites are
    looping only 1 second of the video while audio is fine. Chrome is
    also
    not affected. Reinstalling 010 fixes firefos html5 vids.


For me html5 videos (YouTube) in Firefox 50.1.0 on openSUSE Tumbleweed
and Leap 42.2 work, without gstreamer-0_10.

Best, Frank
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gstreamer 010 removal breaks firefox youtube playbak

Konstantin Voinov
In reply to this post by tomtomme
I have the same issue with Firefox and html5 videos.
AFAIK, Firefox don't use gstreamer, but ffmpeg only now.

Thomas Langkamp писал 2017-01-08 05:42:
> Few days ago we had a thread about the upcoming gstreamer 010 removal.
> I already tried it and wanted to warn you that it breaks html5 videos
> in firefox. Not all, but at least youtube and some other videosites
> are looping only 1 second of the video while audio is fine. Chrome is
> also not affected. Reinstalling 010 fixes firefos html5 vids.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gstreamer 010 removal breaks firefox youtube playbak

Karl Cheng
In reply to this post by tomtomme
I can sporadically reproduce this with Firefox 50.1.0 (distro version)
on openSUSE Tumbleweed -- I have the Packman repository enabled.

On initial load, there does not appear to be any issue, but it seems
that after loading several videos that the issue starts occurring.
Once it occurs, it affects all existing YouTube tabs (both WebM VP9
and MP4 H.264), but not any other tabs (even if I then load YouTube
using that tab).

Reloading the browser or opening a new tab appears to "fix" the issue
though I'm not sure what's the cause of this issue in the first place.

A separate install of Firefox Developer Edition (52.0a2 (2017-01-05)
(64-bit)) is not affected.

On 8 January 2017 at 03:42, Thomas Langkamp
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Few days ago we had a thread about the upcoming gstreamer 010 removal.
> I already tried it and wanted to warn you that it breaks html5 videos in
> firefox. Not all, but at least youtube and some other videosites are looping
> only 1 second of the video while audio is fine. Chrome is also not affected.
> Reinstalling 010 fixes firefos html5 vids.
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>



--
- Karl Cheng (Qantas94Heavy)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gstreamer 010 removal breaks firefox youtube playbak

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
In reply to this post by Frank Krüger
Am 07.01.2017 um 22:11 schrieb Frank Krüger:

> On Sat, 2017-01-07 at 20:42 +0100, Thomas Langkamp wrote:
>
>     Few days ago we had a thread about the upcoming gstreamer 010
>     removal.
>     I already tried it and wanted to warn you that it breaks html5 videos
>     in
>     firefox. Not all, but at least youtube and some other videosites are
>     looping only 1 second of the video while audio is fine. Chrome is
>     also
>     not affected. Reinstalling 010 fixes firefos html5 vids.
>
>
> For me html5 videos (YouTube) in Firefox 50.1.0 on openSUSE Tumbleweed
> and Leap 42.2 work, without gstreamer-0_10.

Since quite some versions (at least 47) there is no GStreamer support in
Firefox releases anymore. So it's unlikely that this is related.

And even before Firefox already used GStreamer version 1 for all
distribution versions since 13.2.


Wolfgang



--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gstreamer 010 removal breaks firefox youtube playbak

Felix Miata-3
Wolfgang Rosenauer composed on 2017-01-08 09:30 (UTC+0100):

> Since quite some versions (at least 47) there is no GStreamer support in
> Firefox releases anymore. So it's unlikely that this is related.

Current ESR @mozilla.org (13 Dec.) is 45.6; @Mozilla BS repo 45.4.

> And even before Firefox already used GStreamer version 1 for all
> distribution versions since 13.2.

Last Youtube I tried in 53.0a1 on 42.1 plays soundless, won't play at all in
45.6 or SeaMonkey 2.46 (both gtk2; both produce '...try restarting your device'
message):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0pOndzESnY

It does work in mozilla.org's 50.1, but in 42.2 or TW it suffers from gtk3
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1269274

Flash is not and will not be installed.
# rpm -qa | grep libgstreame
libgstreamer-0_10-0-0.10.36-22.3.x86_64
libgstreamer-1_0-0-1.10.2-79.1.x86_64
--
"The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409 ** a11y rocks!

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gstreamer 010 removal breaks firefox youtube playbak

tomtomme
In reply to this post by Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
+

Am 08.01.2017 um 09:30 schrieb Wolfgang Rosenauer:

> Am 07.01.2017 um 22:11 schrieb Frank Krüger:
>> On Sat, 2017-01-07 at 20:42 +0100, Thomas Langkamp wrote:
>>
>>     Few days ago we had a thread about the upcoming gstreamer 010
>>     removal.
>>     I already tried it and wanted to warn you that it breaks html5 videos
>>     in
>>     firefox. Not all, but at least youtube and some other videosites are
>>     looping only 1 second of the video while audio is fine. Chrome is
>>     also
>>     not affected. Reinstalling 010 fixes firefos html5 vids.
>>
>>
>> For me html5 videos (YouTube) in Firefox 50.1.0 on openSUSE Tumbleweed
>> and Leap 42.2 work, without gstreamer-0_10.
>
> Since quite some versions (at least 47) there is no GStreamer support in
> Firefox releases anymore. So it's unlikely that this is related.
>
> And even before Firefox already used GStreamer version 1 for all
> distribution versions since 13.2.
>
>
> Wolfgang

Thanks for the hints Wolfgang and the others.

I can confirm that removing and adding gstreamer 010 on Tumbleweed and
working / non-working youtube was just a coincidense. I tried to
repoduce the error with / without gstreamer 010 and it needs several
youtube videos to open to occur. If I close and restart firefox the same
video might play fine.
So it is random and has nothing to do with my original
gstreamer-assumption. It all started some days ago.

I tested on 2 systems, both current Tumbleweed x64, plasma5, packman,
firefox 50.1.0.
- amd cpu fx8350 + pontostroy mesa git repo with amdgpu fury x driver
- amd apu 7600 + stock radeon oss drivers.

So this might be a firefox / ffmpeg / packman bug.
Can we narrow it down a little bit more so that we can open a bug at the
right project?

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]