Graphical Enhancements on openSUSE(?)

Marco Calistri-3
Hello,

I have a really personal idea which inducts me to say that current
openSUSE has scarce cares of its graphical boot and more in general also
for its system sounds if we compare it with other operating systems,
including commercial ones.

To make an example regarding the current openSUSE grub/splash-boot, I
define it very crude and minimalist. (without offenses for anybody).

Would like to know if somebody of the development team has not yet
thought at least one time, to enhance this section.

I've installed from several months now, a custom boot splash which you
can find here if you are interested to test it:

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1009533/

and which offers, *IMHO*, much better graphical experience when booting
openSUSE (sorry for my bad quality video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfxl7ewF03A

Marco Calistri
Linux version :  openSUSE Tumbleweed 20171101
Kernel: 4.13.10-3.gac5ac24-default - Cinnamon 3.6.0

Re: Graphical Enhancements on openSUSE(?)

Arjen de Korte
Citeren Marco Calistri <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> I have a really personal idea which inducts me to say that current
> openSUSE has scarce cares of its graphical boot and more in general also
> for its system sounds if we compare it with other operating systems,
> including commercial ones.
>
> To make an example regarding the current openSUSE grub/splash-boot, I
> define it very crude and minimalist. (without offenses for anybody).
>
> Would like to know if somebody of the development team has not yet
> thought at least one time, to enhance this section.
>
> I've installed from several months now, a custom boot splash which you
> can find here if you are interested to test it:
>
> https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1009533/
>
> and which offers, *IMHO*, much better graphical experience when booting
> openSUSE (sorry for my bad quality video):
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfxl7ewF03A

Man, that boot process takes forever. On my four years old laptop,
it's under ten seconds until the login prompt appears and I couldn't
care less about the graphics up to that point. I think you need to
install an SSD instead... :-)

Il 04/11/2017 10:48, Arjen de Korte ha scritto:

> Citeren Marco Calistri <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a really personal idea which inducts me to say that current
>> openSUSE has scarce cares of its graphical boot and more in general also
>> for its system sounds if we compare it with other operating systems,
>> including commercial ones.
>>
>> To make an example regarding the current openSUSE grub/splash-boot, I
>> define it very crude and minimalist. (without offenses for anybody).
>>
>> Would like to know if somebody of the development team has not yet
>> thought at least one time, to enhance this section.
>>
>> I've installed from several months now, a custom boot splash which you
>> can find here if you are interested to test it:
>>
>> https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1009533/
>>
>> and which offers, *IMHO*, much better graphical experience when booting
>> openSUSE (sorry for my bad quality video):
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfxl7ewF03A
>
> Man, that boot process takes forever. On my four years old laptop, it's
> under ten seconds until the login prompt appears and I couldn't care
> less about the graphics up to that point. I think you need to install an
> SSD instead... :-)

Yes, the boot duration is not "super-sonic" with my hardware but I was
not talking about speed here!

Marco Calistri
Linux version :  openSUSE Tumbleweed 20171101
Kernel: 4.13.10-3.gac5ac24-default - Cinnamon 3.6.0

Re: Graphical Enhancements on openSUSE(?)

Anton Aylward-2
On 04/11/17 07:57 AM, Marco Calistri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a really personal idea which inducts me to say that current
> openSUSE has scarce cares of its graphical boot and more in general also
> for its system sounds if we compare it with other operating systems,
> including commercial ones.
>
> To make an example regarding the current openSUSE grub/splash-boot, I
> define it very crude and minimalist. (without offenses for anybody).

I *like* it "crude and minimalist".
I want the basic prompt, the GUI version of what I get as a text login.
Don't distract me with graphics.
Don't distract me with animation.
I don't want to spend any more of my life doing
login/identification/authentication than I absolutely have to.
Get logged in PDQ and get on with Real Work.

I *like* it that in Firefox I have a plug-in the 'remembers' my passwords and
fills them in.  Password managers are GOOD.

Security is nice.  Good security is very nice.
But security that distracts you, gets in the way of work, is BAD.
People will find ways round it.
Security should be as *UN*-intrusive as possible.
Dressing it up makes it too obvious, too distracting, too intrusive.

Some people have automatic GUI login enabled.
Combined with the automatic application login in Firefox, that seems a disaster
to me.

I like Linux 'cos I can have things *convenient and minimalistic* with little
trouble.

--
Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such
as wickerwork picnic baskets.  Imagination without skill gives us modern art.

Il 04/11/2017 10:50, Anton Aylward ha scritto:

> On 04/11/17 07:57 AM, Marco Calistri wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a really personal idea which inducts me to say that current
>> openSUSE has scarce cares of its graphical boot and more in general also
>> for its system sounds if we compare it with other operating systems,
>> including commercial ones.
>>
>> To make an example regarding the current openSUSE grub/splash-boot, I
>> define it very crude and minimalist. (without offenses for anybody).
>
> I *like* it "crude and minimalist".
> I want the basic prompt, the GUI version of what I get as a text login.
> Don't distract me with graphics.
> Don't distract me with animation.
> I don't want to spend any more of my life doing
> login/identification/authentication than I absolutely have to.
> Get logged in PDQ and get on with Real Work.
>
> I *like* it that in Firefox I have a plug-in the 'remembers' my passwords and
> fills them in.  Password managers are GOOD.
>
> Security is nice.  Good security is very nice.
> But security that distracts you, gets in the way of work, is BAD.
> People will find ways round it.
> Security should be as *UN*-intrusive as possible.
> Dressing it up makes it too obvious, too distracting, too intrusive.
>
> Some people have automatic GUI login enabled.
> Combined with the automatic application login in Firefox, that seems a disaster
> to me.
>
> I like Linux 'cos I can have things *convenient and minimalistic* with little
> trouble.

I'm respectful of your ideas but I don't share them with you integrally,
just the ones related to security but once again I was not talking about
security here.
--
Marco Calistri
Linux version :  openSUSE Tumbleweed 20171101
Kernel: 4.13.10-3.gac5ac24-default - Cinnamon 3.6.0

Re: Graphical Enhancements on openSUSE(?)

H.Merijn Brand
On Sat, 04 Nov 2017 13:48:01 +0100, Arjen de Korte
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Citeren Marco Calistri <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a really personal idea which inducts me to say that current
> > openSUSE has scarce cares of its graphical boot and more in general also
> > for its system sounds if we compare it with other operating systems,
> > including commercial ones.
> >
> > To make an example regarding the current openSUSE grub/splash-boot, I
> > define it very crude and minimalist. (without offenses for anybody).
> >
> > Would like to know if somebody of the development team has not yet
> > thought at least one time, to enhance this section.
> >
> > I've installed from several months now, a custom boot splash which you
> > can find here if you are interested to test it:
> >
> > https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1009533/
> >
> > and which offers, *IMHO*, much better graphical experience when booting
> > openSUSE (sorry for my bad quality video):
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfxl7ewF03A
>
> Man, that boot process takes forever. On my four years old laptop,
> it's under ten seconds until the login prompt appears and I couldn't
> care less about the graphics up to that point. I think you need to
> install an SSD instead... :-)
100% agree. I have set splash=verbose to true anyway. I want to see what
happens and no delay for graphical nonsense (no offense meant to anyone
who *does* care). Anything that slow down my boot should be optional
and off by default.

$ grep splash /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=/dev/nvme0n1p5 splash=verbose quiet showopts plymouth.enable=0"

--
H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl   Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.27   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE

Re: Graphical Enhancements on openSUSE(?)

Jan Engelhardt-4

On Saturday 2017-11-04 12:57, Marco Calistri wrote:

>To make an example regarding the current openSUSE grub/splash-boot, I
>define it very crude and minimalist. (without offenses for anybody).

I like crude and minimalist -- a bootloader is just a program that
deters me from my standard desktop; it's already taking up about 7%
(1s of 14s) of my entire boot time, I don't need it waste more time
with painting penguins on the screen. :-)

Re: Graphical Enhancements on openSUSE(?)

Marco Calistri-3

> On Saturday 2017-11-04 12:57, Marco Calistri wrote:
>>
>> To make an example regarding the current openSUSE grub/splash-boot, I
>> define it very crude and minimalist. (without offenses for anybody).
>
> I like crude and minimalist -- a bootloader is just a program that
> deters me from my standard desktop; it's already taking up about 7%
> (1s of 14s) of my entire boot time, I don't need it waste more time
> with painting penguins on the screen. :-)

I'm getting frustrated instead not by a slow bootloader but by some
other daemons as for example tracker, or even app as FireFox hanging on
some scripts, which occurr at the worst moment when you are doing
something of important, freezing up your system without a valid reason. :-/

But as we know "your mileage may vary".

On Saturday, 2017-11-04 at 12:56 -0000, Marco Calistri wrote:

> Il 04/11/2017 10:50, Anton Aylward ha scritto:
>> On 04/11/17 07:57 AM, Marco Calistri wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a really personal idea which inducts me to say that current
>>> openSUSE has scarce cares of its graphical boot and more in general also
>>> for its system sounds if we compare it with other operating systems,
>>> including commercial ones.
>>>
>>> To make an example regarding the current openSUSE grub/splash-boot, I
>>> define it very crude and minimalist. (without offenses for anybody).
>>
>> I *like* it "crude and minimalist".
>> I want the basic prompt, the GUI version of what I get as a text login.
>> Don't distract me with graphics.
>> Don't distract me with animation.
>> I don't want to spend any more of my life doing
>> login/identification/authentication than I absolutely have to.
>> Get logged in PDQ and get on with Real Work.
>>
>> I *like* it that in Firefox I have a plug-in the 'remembers' my passwords and
>> fills them in.  Password managers are GOOD.
>>
>> Security is nice.  Good security is very nice.
>> But security that distracts you, gets in the way of work, is BAD.
>> People will find ways round it.
>> Security should be as *UN*-intrusive as possible.
>> Dressing it up makes it too obvious, too distracting, too intrusive.
>>
>> Some people have automatic GUI login enabled.
>> Combined with the automatic application login in Firefox, that seems a disaster
>> to me.
>>
>> I like Linux 'cos I can have things *convenient and minimalistic* with little
>> trouble.
>>
> I'm respectful of your ideas but I don't share them with you integrally,
> just the ones related to security but once again I was not talking about
> security here.

What they are saying is that they do not want a graphical boot.

Same for me, I disable the current graphical boot and have a pure text
boot on all my machines.

There are people that like a graphical boot, but none of those has
commented yet on your idea.

On Saturday 2017-11-04 15:43, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Same for me, I disable the current graphical boot and have a pure
> text boot on all my machines.

Now I feel strangely motivated to make GRUB even stop showing the
menu.

I mean come on, the BIOS vendors know to implement "Press F12 to
see the full menu", why doesn't GRUB.

Re: Graphical Enhancements on openSUSE(?)

Malcolm
On Sat 04 Nov 2017 04:03:36 PM CDT, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

>On Saturday 2017-11-04 15:43, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>
>> Same for me, I disable the current graphical boot and have a pure
>> text boot on all my machines.
>
>Now I feel strangely motivated to make GRUB even stop showing the
>menu.
>
>I mean come on, the BIOS vendors know to implement "Press F12 to
>see the full menu", why doesn't GRUB.
Hi
I do that on all my machines.... set to zero, hide, remove all the
plymouth stuff and rebuild initrd...

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2 | GNOME 3.20.2 | 4.4.90-18.32-default

Re: Graphical Enhancements on openSUSE(?)

Michael Ströder
Carlos E. R. wrote:
> What they are saying is that they do not want a graphical boot.
>
> Same for me, I disable the current graphical boot and have a pure text
> boot on all my machines.

Same here.

Sorry to the people who cares about it. But the only thing I'm
personally interested in regarding graphical boot is the easiest way to
disable it and reliably uninstall all files related to it.

I'm not an average user though. But I did install openSUSE Tumbleweed on
several average users' laptops. They never asked why the boot process
looks not nice. They only care about what happens after login and
whether everything works reliably (Firefox, LibreOffice, PDF-Viewer or
similar).

Ciao, Michael.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Non-GUI boot desirable (was: Graphical Enhancements...)

Felix Miata-3
H.Merijn Brand composed on 2017-11-04 14:00 (UTC+0100):

> On Sat, 04 Nov 2017 13:48:01 +0100, Arjen de Korte wrote:

>> Man, that boot process takes forever. On my four years old laptop,
>> it's under ten seconds until the login prompt appears and I couldn't
>> care less about the graphics up to that point. I think you need to
>> install an SSD instead... :-)

> 100% agree. I have set splash=verbose to true anyway. I want to see what
> happens and no delay for graphical nonsense (no offense meant to anyone
> who *does* care). Anything that slow down my boot should be optional
> and off by default.

> $ grep splash /etc/default/grub
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=/dev/nvme0n1p5 splash=verbose quiet showopts plymouth.enable=0"

On all my openSUSEes, all of the following cmdlines are equivalent:

showopts root=LABEL=osTW noresume plymouth.enable=0 splash=verbose 3
showopts root=LABEL=osTW noresume plymouth.enable=0 splash=0 3
showopts root=LABEL=osTW noresume plymouth.enable=0 3

IOW, if you *want* any sort of splash you need to specify it. Otherwise, you get
the kernel's plain text default of splash not. Note absence of quiet as well. I
want to see *everything* in legible text, even though most of it goes by much
too fast to absorb.

With Plymouth not installed, plymouth.enable=0 isn't required either.

If you want tty1 to retain the tail of boot messages instead of changing to an
otherwise empty screen with login prompt, the file that the symlink
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/[hidden email]
points to needs

        TTYVTDisallocate=no

instead of =yes.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Graphical Enhancements on openSUSE(?)

Andrei Borzenkov
04.11.2017 18:03, Jan Engelhardt пишет:

> On Saturday 2017-11-04 15:43, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>>
>> Same for me, I disable the current graphical boot and have a pure
>> text boot on all my machines.
>
> Now I feel strangely motivated to make GRUB even stop showing the
> menu.
>
> I mean come on, the BIOS vendors know to implement "Press F12 to
> see the full menu", why doesn't GRUB.

See GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden. Or do you miss prompt?

Re: Non-GUI boot desirable (was: Graphical Enhancements...)

H.Merijn Brand
On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 12:39:40 -0400, Felix Miata <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> H.Merijn Brand composed on 2017-11-04 14:00 (UTC+0100):
>
> > On Sat, 04 Nov 2017 13:48:01 +0100, Arjen de Korte wrote:
>
> >> Man, that boot process takes forever. On my four years old laptop,
> >> it's under ten seconds until the login prompt appears and I couldn't
> >> care less about the graphics up to that point. I think you need to
> >> install an SSD instead... :-)
>
> > 100% agree. I have set splash=verbose to true anyway. I want to see what
> > happens and no delay for graphical nonsense (no offense meant to anyone
> > who *does* care). Anything that slow down my boot should be optional
> > and off by default.
>
> > $ grep splash /etc/default/grub
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="resume=/dev/nvme0n1p5 splash=verbose quiet showopts plymouth.enable=0"
>
> On all my openSUSEes, all of the following cmdlines are equivalent:
>
> showopts root=LABEL=osTW noresume plymouth.enable=0 splash=verbose 3
> showopts root=LABEL=osTW noresume plymouth.enable=0 splash=0 3
> showopts root=LABEL=osTW noresume plymouth.enable=0 3
>
> IOW, if you *want* any sort of splash you need to specify it. Otherwise, you get
> the kernel's plain text default of splash not. Note absence of quiet as well. I
> want to see *everything* in legible text, even though most of it goes by much
> too fast to absorb.
>
> With Plymouth not installed, plymouth.enable=0 isn't required either.
>
> If you want tty1 to retain the tail of boot messages instead of changing to an
> otherwise empty screen with login prompt, the file that the symlink
> /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/[hidden email]
> points to needs
>
> TTYVTDisallocate=no
>
> instead of =yes.
Thanks for all additional info

--
H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl   Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.27   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE
http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/        http://www.test-smoke.org/
http://qa.perl.org   http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

Re: Graphical Enhancements on openSUSE(?)

Marco Calistri-3
Il 04/11/2017 10:48, Arjen de Korte ha scritto:

> Citeren Marco Calistri <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a really personal idea which inducts me to say that current
>> openSUSE has scarce cares of its graphical boot and more in general also
>> for its system sounds if we compare it with other operating systems,
>> including commercial ones.
>>
>> To make an example regarding the current openSUSE grub/splash-boot, I
>> define it very crude and minimalist. (without offenses for anybody).
>>
>> Would like to know if somebody of the development team has not yet
>> thought at least one time, to enhance this section.
>>
>> I've installed from several months now, a custom boot splash which you
>> can find here if you are interested to test it:
>>
>> https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1009533/
>>
>> and which offers, *IMHO*, much better graphical experience when booting
>> openSUSE (sorry for my bad quality video):
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfxl7ewF03A
>
> Man, that boot process takes forever. On my four years old laptop, it's
> under ten seconds until the login prompt appears and I couldn't care
> less about the graphics up to that point. I think you need to install an
> SSD instead... :-)

I made a simple test: disabled graphical boot completely but boot
duration is almost the same as when I enable it.

I could see that there is a sort of freezing when kernel arives at the
step when outputs "Switch to root..." or something like that.

So for me also by disabling the splash stuff, the result of boot
duration is the same, may be my system and HDD are too slow.

Marco Calistri
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�

Re: Graphical Enhancements on openSUSE(?)

Felix Miata-3
Marco Calistri composed on 2017-11-05 12:58 (UTC-0500):

> I made a simple test: disabled graphical boot completely but boot
> duration is almost the same as when I enable it.

> I could see that there is a sort of freezing when kernel arives at the
> step when outputs "Switch to root..." or something like that.

> So for me also by disabling the splash stuff, the result of boot
> duration is the same, may be my system and HDD are too slow.

No need to guess why it takes the time it takes. Find out where the time is
being spent:

        systemd-analyze blame

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Il 05/11/2017 18:28, Felix Miata ha scritto:

> Marco Calistri composed on 2017-11-05 12:58 (UTC-0500):
>
>> I made a simple test: disabled graphical boot completely but boot
>> duration is almost the same as when I enable it.
>
>> I could see that there is a sort of freezing when kernel arives at the
>> step when outputs "Switch to root..." or something like that.
>
>> So for me also by disabling the splash stuff, the result of boot
>> duration is the same, may be my system and HDD are too slow.
>
> No need to guess why it takes the time it takes. Find out where the time is
> being spent:
>
> systemd-analyze blame

Hi,

I was not aware of this command!

Here the result of it:

marco@linux-turion64:~> systemd-analyze blame

          8.467s ModemManager.service
          8.033s dev-sda5.device
          7.061s initrd-switch-root.service
          5.233s SuSEfirewall2_init.service
          4.846s display-manager.service
          4.632s upower.service
          4.170s rsyslog.service
          4.051s postfix.service
          2.880s jexec.service
          2.874s NetworkManager.service
          2.793s vboxdrv.service
          2.792s nscd.service
          2.730s mcelog.service
          2.724s rc-local.service
          2.673s avahi-daemon.service
          2.127s systemd-vconsole-setup.service
          1.985s polkit.service
          1.946s SuSEfirewall2.service
          1.775s systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service
          1.421s systemd-udevd.service
          1.311s systemd-rfkill.service
          1.106s systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service
          1.067s warsaw.service
          1.057s dracut-pre-udev.service
           813ms systemd-sysctl.service
           691ms klog.service
           652ms ntpd.service
           646ms noip2.service
           605ms dev-hugepages.mount
           578ms [hidden email]
           551ms systemd-remount-fs.service
           532ms sshd.service
           507ms wpa_supplicant.service
           491ms systemd-logind.service
           480ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
           451ms sys-kernel-debug.mount
           407ms
systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2did-ata\x2dSAMSUNG_HM501II_S2PMJ56B607218\x2dpart6.service
           368ms accounts-daemon.service
           366ms systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service
           352ms systemd-journal-flush.service
           307ms systemd-journald.service
           302ms dev-mqueue.mount
           254ms systemd-fsck-root.service
           245ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
           244ms systemd-user-sessions.service
           237ms systemd-random-seed.service
           235ms udisks2.service
           234ms plymouth-read-write.service
           225ms systemd-update-utmp.service
           203ms colord.service
           198ms kmod-static-nodes.service
           161ms systemd-modules-load.service
           155ms initrd-parse-etc.service
           142ms proc-sys-fs-binfmt_misc.mount
           128ms
dev-disk-by\x2did-ata\x2dSAMSUNG_HM501II_S2PMJ56B607218\x2dpart7.swap
           128ms iscsi.service
            94ms vboxautostart-service.service
            77ms rtkit-daemon.service
            74ms plymouth-start.service
            69ms plymouth-switch-root.service
            68ms home.mount
            64ms [hidden email]
            46ms dracut-cmdline.service
            33ms dracut-shutdown.service
            32ms vboxweb-service.service
            26ms tmp.mount
            20ms sysroot.mount
            18ms dracut-pre-trigger.service
            17ms issue-generator.service
            14ms vboxballoonctrl-service.service
            11ms initrd-cleanup.service
             7ms initrd-udevadm-cleanup-db.service
             6ms alsa-restore.service
             5ms systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service
             5ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
lines 21-75/75 (END)

I think at first glance I could disable at least ModemManager and
Postfix since I don't use these services and seems are taking a lot of
time to start.

Also the services: dev-sda5.device, initrd-switch-root.service and
jexec.service I would like to know what they are doing and then disable
them too.

Marco Calistri
Linux version :  openSUSE Tumbleweed 20171102
Kernel: 4.13.11-1.g0526da3-default - Cinnamon 3.6.0

Il 05/11/2017 20:26, Carlos E. R. ha scritto:

> El 2017-11-05 a las 21:58 -0000, Marco Calistri escribió:
>> Il 05/11/2017 18:28, Felix Miata ha scritto:
>>> Marco Calistri composed on 2017-11-05 12:58 (UTC-0500):
>
>>> No need to guess why it takes the time it takes. Find out where the
>>> time is
>>> being spent:
>>>
>>>     systemd-analyze blame
>>>
>> Hi,
>
>> I was not aware of this command!
>
>> Here the result of it:
>
>> marco@linux-turion64:~> systemd-analyze blame
>
>>          8.467s ModemManager.service
>>          8.033s dev-sda5.device
>>          7.061s initrd-switch-root.service
>>          5.233s SuSEfirewall2_init.service
>>          4.846s display-manager.service
>
>>             5ms systemd-update-utmp-runlevel.service
>>             5ms sys-fs-fuse-connections.mount
>> lines 21-75/75 (END)
>
>> I think at first glance I could disable at least ModemManager and
>> Postfix since I don't use these services and seems are taking a lot of
>> time to start.
>
> No, that's wrong thinking.
>
> Instead, look at "systemd-analyze critical-chain" to see where are the
> actual delays. It does not really matter if a service takes half a
> minute if it doesn't block login, because the rest of the processes are
> running concurrently.
>

> -- Cheers
>        Carlos E. R.
>
>        (from openSUSE 42.2 x86_64 "Malachite" (Minas Tirith))

Hi Carlos,
Follows further results of this issue:

marco@linux-turion64:~> systemd-analyze critical-chain
The time after the unit is active or started is printed after the "@"
character.
The time the unit takes to start is printed after the "+" character.

graphical.target @25.566s
└─display-manager.service @23.488s +2.075s
  └─time-sync.target @23.485s
    └─ntpd.service @22.242s +1.242s
      └─network.target @22.173s
        └─NetworkManager.service @19.591s +2.581s
          └─SuSEfirewall2_init.service @15.517s +4.072s
            └─sysinit.target @15.513s
              └─systemd-update-utmp.service @15.476s +36ms
                └─systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service @14.741s +732ms
                  └─local-fs.target @14.738s
                    └─home.mount @14.445s +292ms

└─systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2did-ata\x2dSAMSUNG_HM501II_S2PMJ56B607218\x2dpart6.service
@14.035s +342ms

└─dev-disk-by\x2did-ata\x2dSAMSUNG_HM501II_S2PMJ56B607218\x2dpart6.device
@14.034s

marco@linux-turion64:~> sudo journalctl -xb --no-pager|grep SATA
[sudo] password di root:
nov 05 20:06:55 linux-turion64 kernel: ahci 0000:00:1f.2: AHCI 0001.0300
32 slots 6 ports 6 Gbps 0x1a impl SATA mode
nov 05 20:06:55 linux-turion64 kernel: ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar
m2048@0xe8c06000 port 0xe8c06180 irq 24
nov 05 20:06:55 linux-turion64 kernel: ata4: SATA max UDMA/133 abar
m2048@0xe8c06000 port 0xe8c06280 irq 24
nov 05 20:06:55 linux-turion64 kernel: ata5: SATA max UDMA/133 abar
m2048@0xe8c06000 port 0xe8c06300 irq 24
nov 05 20:06:55 linux-turion64 kernel: ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps
(SStatus 113 SControl 300)
nov 05 20:06:55 linux-turion64 kernel: ata4: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps
(SStatus 113 SControl 300)
nov 05 20:06:55 linux-turion64 kernel: ata5: SATA link down (SStatus 0
SControl 300)

marco@linux-turion64:~> cat /etc/fstab
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HM501II_S2PMJ56B607218-part7 swap
     swap defaults                      0 0
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HM501II_S2PMJ56B607218-part5 /
     ext4       acl,user_xattr,noatime        1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HM501II_S2PMJ56B607218-part6 /home
     ext4       defaults,noatime              1 2
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0

(I have some doubts about correctness of parameters I used for my root
partition.