Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

John Meyer-4
Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.  It
crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page (and by
crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at the login
screen again).  Anybody had this problem happen to them?
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

Gerrit Jan Eldering
Op zaterdag 16 december 2006 15:10, schreef John Meyer:
> Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.  It
> crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page (and by
> crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at the login
> screen again).  Anybody had this problem happen to them?

No i don't have any problems?

GJ

--
openSUSE: 10.2
KDE:      3.5.5 "release 45"
Kernel:   2.6.18.2-34-default
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

Ken Schneider - openSUSE
In reply to this post by John Meyer-4
On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 07:10 -0700, John Meyer wrote:
> Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.  It
> crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page (and by
> crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at the login
> screen again).  Anybody had this problem happen to them?

I just loaded it on my rather old laptop and although it runs rather
slow it does not crash me out of my login session.

--
Ken Schneider
UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

John Meyer-4
Kenneth Schneider wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 07:10 -0700, John Meyer wrote:
>> Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.  It
>> crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page (and by
>> crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at the login
>> screen again).  Anybody had this problem happen to them?
>
> I just loaded it on my rather old laptop and although it runs rather
> slow it does not crash me out of my login session.
>
BTW, doing googleearth 2>googleerrors.text doesn't produce any output,
so I can't show any errors.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

upscope
In reply to this post by John Meyer-4
On Sat December 16 2006 06:10, John Meyer wrote:
> Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.  It
> crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page (and by
> crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at the login
> screen again).  Anybody had this problem happen to them?

You don't say what versions your running. I'm running SUSE 10.0, KDE 3.5.4
level "a" with Google Earth 4.0.2091 (beta). Has not crashed yet. Don't use
GNOME.

System is PIII 866MHZ, 512 memory.

Sorry I cannot help more.
--
Russ
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

John Meyer-4
Russbucket wrote:

> On Sat December 16 2006 06:10, John Meyer wrote:
>> Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.  It
>> crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page (and by
>> crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at the login
>> screen again).  Anybody had this problem happen to them?
>
> You don't say what versions your running. I'm running SUSE 10.0, KDE 3.5.4
> level "a" with Google Earth 4.0.2091 (beta). Has not crashed yet. Don't use
> GNOME.
>
> System is PIII 866MHZ, 512 memory.
>
> Sorry I cannot help more.

Suse 10.2, KDE 3.5.5 "release 45".  I downloaded GoogleEarth a couple of
weeks or so back.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

Randall Schulz
In reply to this post by upscope
Russ,

Two questions, below...

On Saturday 16 December 2006 09:21, Russbucket wrote:
> On Sat December 16 2006 06:10, John Meyer wrote:
> > Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.
> > It crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page
> > (and by crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at
> > the login screen again).  Anybody had this problem happen to them?
>
> You don't say what versions your running. I'm running SUSE 10.0, KDE
> 3.5.4 level "a" with Google Earth 4.0.2091 (beta). Has not crashed
> yet. Don't use GNOME.

Is that "Don't use GNOME!" (a warning) or "[I] don't use GNOME." (a
statement of fact)?


> System is PIII 866MHZ, 512 memory.

Have you the proverbial "patience of a saint?" In other words, isn't
Google Earth dismally slow on such a machine?


> Sorry I cannot help more.
> --
> Russ


Randall Schulz
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

upscope
On Sat December 16 2006 10:32, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Russ,
>
> Two questions, below...
>
> On Saturday 16 December 2006 09:21, Russbucket wrote:
> > On Sat December 16 2006 06:10, John Meyer wrote:
> > > Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.
> > > It crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page
> > > (and by crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at
> > > the login screen again).  Anybody had this problem happen to them?
> >
> > You don't say what versions your running. I'm running SUSE 10.0, KDE
> > 3.5.4 level "a" with Google Earth 4.0.2091 (beta). Has not crashed
> > yet. Don't use GNOME.
>
> Is that "Don't use GNOME!" (a warning) or "[I] don't use GNOME." (a
> statement of fact)?
It a statement of fact, not anything against GNOME> I started using KDE when I
started using SUSE and have not tried GNOME since I do not have a reason to
yet..
>
> > System is PIII 866MHZ, 512 memory.
>
> Have you the proverbial "patience of a saint?" In other words, isn't
> Google Earth dismally slow on such a machine?
Not really since I changed my vidio card to an Nvidi base FX5200 with 3D
capability. Before that Google EArth was unusable, TO SLOW.
>
> > Sorry I cannot help more.
> > --
> > Russ
>
> Randall Schulz

--
Russ
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

upscope
In reply to this post by John Meyer-4
On Sat December 16 2006 10:21, John Meyer wrote:

> Russbucket wrote:
> > On Sat December 16 2006 06:10, John Meyer wrote:
> >> Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.  It
> >> crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page (and by
> >> crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at the login
> >> screen again).  Anybody had this problem happen to them?
> >
> > You don't say what versions your running. I'm running SUSE 10.0, KDE
> > 3.5.4 level "a" with Google Earth 4.0.2091 (beta). Has not crashed yet.
> > Don't use GNOME.
> >
> > System is PIII 866MHZ, 512 memory.
> >
> > Sorry I cannot help more.
>
> Suse 10.2, KDE 3.5.5 "release 45".  I downloaded GoogleEarth a couple of
> weeks or so back.
I order the 10.2 DVD and its not here yet. Your version of Google Earth is
either the same as mine or newer.
--
Russ
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

James Knott
In reply to this post by John Meyer-4
John Meyer wrote:
> Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.  It
> crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page (and by
> crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at the login
> screen again).  Anybody had this problem happen to them?
>  
Works fine for me.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

Randall Schulz
In reply to this post by upscope
Russ,

On Saturday 16 December 2006 12:25, Russbucket wrote:
> ...
>
> > > System is PIII 866MHZ, 512 memory.
> >
> > Have you the proverbial "patience of a saint?" In other words,
> > isn't Google Earth dismally slow on such a machine?
>
> Not really since I changed my vidio card to an Nvidi base FX5200 with
> 3D capability. Before that Google EArth was unusable, TO SLOW.

Wait a minute... Google Earth uses 3D graphics hardware on Linux? I
thought it ran under WINE? Have they produced a native Linux port?


> ...
>
> --
> Russ


Randall Schuzl
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

Juan David Hoyos Rentería
Yes Randall, they did. Look at http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html


--
Juan David Hoyos Rentería
[hidden email]


On 12/16/06, Randall R Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Russ,
>
> On Saturday 16 December 2006 12:25, Russbucket wrote:
> > ...
> >
> > > > System is PIII 866MHZ, 512 memory.
> > >
> > > Have you the proverbial "patience of a saint?" In other words,
> > > isn't Google Earth dismally slow on such a machine?
> >
> > Not really since I changed my vidio card to an Nvidi base FX5200 with
> > 3D capability. Before that Google EArth was unusable, TO SLOW.
>
> Wait a minute... Google Earth uses 3D graphics hardware on Linux? I
> thought it ran under WINE? Have they produced a native Linux port?
>
>
> > ...
> >
> > --
> > Russ
>
>
> Randall Schuzl
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

James Knott
In reply to this post by Randall Schulz
Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Russ,
>
> On Saturday 16 December 2006 12:25, Russbucket wrote:
>  
>> ...
>>
>>    
>>>> System is PIII 866MHZ, 512 memory.
>>>>        
>>> Have you the proverbial "patience of a saint?" In other words,
>>> isn't Google Earth dismally slow on such a machine?
>>>      
>> Not really since I changed my vidio card to an Nvidi base FX5200 with
>> 3D capability. Before that Google EArth was unusable, TO SLOW.
>>    
>
> Wait a minute... Google Earth uses 3D graphics hardware on Linux? I
> thought it ran under WINE? Have they produced a native Linux port?
>
>
>  
http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

Darryl Gregorash
In reply to this post by Randall Schulz
On 2006-12-16 14:51, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> Wait a minute... Google Earth uses 3D graphics hardware on Linux? I
> thought it ran under WINE? Have they produced a native Linux port?

At least three months ago :-)

--
The best way to accelerate a computer running Windows is at 9.81 m/s²

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

John Andersen
In reply to this post by John Meyer-4
On Saturday 16 December 2006 05:10, John Meyer wrote:
> Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.  It
> crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page (and by
> crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at the login
> screen again).  Anybody had this problem happen to them?

It works correctly on 10.1, and I can't migrate to 10.2 on my machine
till ATI gets reliable drivers available.

But I've seen this exact problem on Kubuntu.  It takes down
the X server entirely.  So much for "don't be evil" ;-P

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

attachment0 (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

upscope
In reply to this post by Randall Schulz
On Sat December 16 2006 12:51, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Russ,
>
> On Saturday 16 December 2006 12:25, Russbucket wrote:
> > ...
> >
> > > > System is PIII 866MHZ, 512 memory.
> > >
> > > Have you the proverbial "patience of a saint?" In other words,
> > > isn't Google Earth dismally slow on such a machine?
> >
> > Not really since I changed my vidio card to an Nvidi base FX5200 with
> > 3D capability. Before that Google EArth was unusable, TO SLOW.
>
> Wait a minute... Google Earth uses 3D graphics hardware on Linux? I
> thought it ran under WINE? Have they produced a native Linux port?
>
> > ...
> >
> > --
> > Russ
>
> Randall Schuzl
Yes there is a native port. I do not have WINE installed.
        http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html
where it says download google earth select linux.
--
Russ
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

Randall Schulz
In reply to this post by Juan David Hoyos Rentería
On Saturday 16 December 2006 13:09, Juan David Hoyos Rentería wrote:
> Yes Randall, they did. Look at
> http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

Excellent. It's works well on my GeForce 7300 under 10.2. The GTK
interface is a little crude, but hey. Maybe I can configure some of
that via Gnome?

RRS
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

Rajko M.
In reply to this post by John Meyer-4
On Saturday 16 December 2006 08:56, John Meyer wrote:

> Kenneth Schneider wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 07:10 -0700, John Meyer wrote:
> >> Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.  It
> >> crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page (and by
> >> crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at the login
> >> screen again).  Anybody had this problem happen to them?
> >
> > I just loaded it on my rather old laptop and although it runs rather
> > slow it does not crash me out of my login session.
>
> BTW, doing googleearth 2>googleerrors.text doesn't produce any output,
> so I can't show any errors.

In your home directory
.googleearth/crashlogs
should have some clues

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/MiniSUSE 
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal 
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

Rajko M.
In reply to this post by upscope
On Saturday 16 December 2006 17:02, Russbucket wrote:
> On Sat December 16 2006 12:51, Randall R Schulz wrote:
...
> Yes there is a native port. I do not have WINE installed.
> http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html
> where it says download google earth select linux.
> --
> Russ

It is with it's own Wine.

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/MiniSUSE 
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal 
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2

Masaru Nomiya-3
In reply to this post by John Meyer-4
Hello,

In the Message;

  Subject    : [opensuse] Google Earth and OpenSuse 10.2
  Message-ID : <[hidden email]>
  Date & Time: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 07:10:22 -0700

[John] == John Meyer <[hidden email]> has written:

John> Okay, I've had problems with Google Earth in both GNOME and KDE.  It
John> crashes the current session and forces me back to the login page (and by
John> crash, I mean the screen goes black and I find myself at the login
John> screen again).  

I had got same problem with another program.
The cause was the memory.
Have you tested witk "memtest86"?

HTH,

---
  Masaru Nomiya       mail-to: nomiya @ galaxy.dti.ne.jp

          "Bill! You married with Computers.
           Not with Me!"
          "No..., with money."
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

12