Get rid of zen-updater icon from systray

Get rid of zen-updater icon from systray

Steven Martin-4
Hi All,

I've been googling for a couple of hours now and can't find any
references for permanently removing the zen-updater icon from the system
tray short of erasing the rpm.  I have tried to save the current session
with zen-updater removed from the session startup programs and the
current programs in the Session dialog, too.  When I start gnome, it
always uses the default session.  I have tried saving the session by
giving it a name, but it doesn't show in the gnome session chooser at
the login screen.

Any clues?

Thanks.
--
Steven R. Martin
Mentor Graphics Corporation

Re: Get rid of zen-updater icon from systray

Darryl Gregorash
On 2006-11-29 17:56, Steven Martin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been googling for a couple of hours now and can't find any
> references for permanently removing the zen-updater icon from the system
> tray short of erasing the rpm.  I have tried to save the current session

It will be an autostart item. Since I'm still in the pre-zen days (9.3),
I can't give specifics, but try right-clicking on it, and see if there
is a configure item in the menu. If not, click "exit" and see if it pops
up a verification panel that gives you the option to de-select autostart.

Re: Get rid of zen-updater icon from systray

Steven Martin-4
I have also tried to uncheck the "Start the software updater on login"
inside the zen-updater configure option (right-click on the icon, select
configure) and then saving the session on log out with no effect.  There
is no way in gdm to select any session other than the default, as far as
I can see.

--
Steven R. Martin
Mentor Graphics Corporation
8005 SW Boeckman Road
Wilsonville, Oregon 97070-7777
Phone: 503-685-1837
http://www.mentor.com
mailto://[hidden email]

Re: Get rid of zen-updater icon from systray

Glenn Holmer-2
On Wednesday 29 November 2006 17:56, Steven Martin wrote:
> I've been googling for a couple of hours now and can't find any
> references for permanently removing the zen-updater icon from the
> system tray short of erasing the rpm.

Try removing it from /etc/xdg/autostart.

--
Glenn Holmer (Q-Link: ShadowM)
http://www.lyonlabs.org/commodore/c64.html

Re: Get rid of zen-updater icon from systray

Darko Gavrilovic
Glenn Holmer wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 November 2006 17:56, Steven Martin wrote:
>
>> I've been googling for a couple of hours now and can't find any
>> references for permanently removing the zen-updater icon from the
>> system tray short of erasing the rpm.
>>

> Try removing it from /etc/xdg/autostart.

From the sounds of it, they have fixed this is 10.2.If you wait a week
for the final release this should be a non-issue.

--
cheers,
dg

Re: Get rid of zen-updater icon from systray

Re: Get rid of zen-updater icon from systray

Re: Get rid of zen-updater icon from systray

Joe Morris
Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Even in 9.3 it is imposible to avoid it running, because it is hardcoded
> in gnome. It has to be uninstalled or renamed.

Huh?  Zen-updater in 9.3?  Guess I should be glad I never ran into that
one. ;-)

--
Joe Morris
Registered Linux user 231871

On 2006-11-30 18:46, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Wednesday 2006-11-29 at 18:38 -0600, Darryl Gregorash wrote:
>
> > It will be an autostart item. Since I'm still in the pre-zen days (9.3),
> >
> Even in 9.3 it is imposible to avoid it running, because it is hardcoded
> in gnome. It has to be uninstalled or renamed.

There is no zen-updater in 9.3. I just checked.

Do you mean SuSEwatcher? I disabled that without removing the package.

Re: Get rid of zen-updater icon from systray

RE: Get rid of zen-updater icon from systray

Steven Martin-4
Thanks Glen.  It *does* work.  All I had to do was move the file out of
the directory, restart X, and no more icon, even after rebooting. I
haven't tried just renaming the file, yet.

BTW -- I don't think I ever mentioned that I am running SLED 10.

Steven Martin
8213-1837
Building C1205
[hidden email]