Gad! Windows 7 looks like KDE 4!

Lew Wolfgang
Hi Folks,

Since I have to support Windows users as well as Linux, I
fired up the latest VirtualBox last night on a 11.0 desktop.
I then loaded up Windows 7 Beta and it blew my socks off!
It looks like KDE 4!

So, what's going on?  Is Microsoft ripping off the KDE community,
or visa versa?

Either way, this is a "good thing" that should make it easier
for Windows users to move to Linux desktops.

Microsoft is discontinuing the Windows 7 Beta program on Feb 10,
so if you want to try it you better get cracking.

Regards,
Lew

(I know, I sound like a Windows Wonk.  But I use it only in
support of my users.  I promise.)

Re: Gad! Windows 7 looks like KDE 4!

C-29
> (I know, I sound like a Windows Wonk.  But I use it only in
> support of my users.  I promise.)

It is good to know about the other OSes and even use them.  It gives
you a good view of where Linus is.. what Linux can do better, and what
Windows can do better - yes there are some things that MS and Apple do
get right, and we can learn from that. :-)

Of course every time I have to use Vista, or install XP, I invent all
sorts of new swear words at the annoying way those OSes work. :-)

C.

Re: Gad! Windows 7 looks like KDE 4!

Larry Stotler
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Lew Wolfgang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Since I have to support Windows users as well as Linux, I
> fired up the latest VirtualBox last night on a 11.0 desktop.
> I then loaded up Windows 7 Beta and it blew my socks off!
> It looks like KDE 4!

I've been saying that KDE4 looks like Vista for a whole now(other than
the new taskbar in 7)

> So, what's going on?  Is Microsoft ripping off the KDE community,
> or visa versa?
> Either way, this is a "good thing" that should make it easier
> for Windows users to move to Linux desktops.

No, it's not a good thing for a lot of us who don't care for the new
"direction" that KDE4 has taken.  I'll stick with KDE3/openSUSE 11.0
until I can make KDE4 work like need it to work and not the other way
around.  These changes haven't been good for a lot of us, and the KDE4
devs are still forgetting our friends with disabilities that can't use
KDE4 at all in some cases.

Just my own not so humble opinion.

Re: Gad! Windows 7 looks like KDE 4!

Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy
On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 09:02 -0800, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Since I have to support Windows users as well as Linux, I
> fired up the latest VirtualBox last night on a 11.0 desktop.
> I then loaded up Windows 7 Beta and it blew my socks off!
> It looks like KDE 4!
>
> So, what's going on?  Is Microsoft ripping off the KDE community,
> or visa versa?

Of course not, it's called "implementing ideas" ;-). But open source has
done it before, so has OS X, so there's no use whining about it.

> Either way, this is a "good thing" that should make it easier
> for Windows users to move to Linux desktops.
>
> Microsoft is discontinuing the Windows 7 Beta program on Feb 10,
> so if you want to try it you better get cracking.

Yeah, I've been running it for a week or so. It's a very good version of
Windows. But it's still Windows and I still have the same problems with
it that I did with Vista, which I didn't think was all that bad, either.

> (I know, I sound like a Windows Wonk.  But I use it only in
> support of my users.  I promise.)

Eh, I use Windows for some things too. No shame in it, it's just a
product.
--
Kevin "Yeaux" Dupuy - openSUSE Member
Public Mail: <[hidden email]>

Re: Gad! Windows 7 looks like KDE 4!

M Harris-2
On Wednesday 28 January 2009 11:46, Larry Stotler wrote:
> No, it's not a good thing for a lot of us who don't care for the new
> "direction" that KDE4 has taken.  I'll stick with KDE3/openSUSE 11.0
> until I can make KDE4 work like need it to work and not the other way
> around.
        ditto

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><

Re: Gad! Windows 7 looks like KDE 4!

Kai Ponte
Lew Wolfgang wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> Since I have to support Windows users as well as Linux, I
> fired up the latest VirtualBox last night on a 11.0 desktop.
> I then loaded up Windows 7 Beta and it blew my socks off!
> It looks like KDE 4!
>
> So, what's going on?  Is Microsoft ripping off the KDE community,
> or visa versa?
>
> Either way, this is a "good thing" that should make it easier
> for Windows users to move to Linux desktops.

You think that it looks like KDE 4? I didn't.

http://www.perfectreign.com/stuff/2008/20081231_Windows7b1_001.jpg

I think it looks an awful lot like vista.  Works about the same. I am
just happy that I can use it in DE on openSUSE.

As for moving to Linux desktops - it has little to do with the L&F of
the desktop. The thing that keeps people from migrating - and I had to
downgrade my father-in-law's wife from 10.3 to vista - is the lack of
gui tools (no one wants to HAVE to go to the cli) and lack of support.
(She couldn't stand being told by her provider that they wouldn't
support her because she's not using Wintendo.)

--
kai

bis zum bitteren Ende