Fwd: Upcoming release RKWard 0.7.0 - Call for testing

Fwd: Upcoming release RKWard 0.7.0 - Call for testing

Vojtěch Zeisek-2
Shorty, KF5/Qt5 RKWard is finally almost out. It will work only with upcoming
R 3.5 (not with R 3.4 and older) and R 3.5 will likely not work with RKWard
0.6 (its extra patching would be required). Dear packages, could You, please,
have look at it to avoid incompatibility of R and RKWard versions?

--
Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux

https://www.opensuse.org/
https://trapa.cz/

Hi!

After a long silence, we're finally getting ready to release RKWard
0.7.0. As this is the first release to be based on the KF5 / Qt5
libraries, rather than KDE4 / Qt4, it would be highly appreciated, if
you could help with testing to make sure we are not overseeing any
important issues. As for new features, the most prominent thing to look
out for is the new "split views" feature, which allows to view R
scripts (or data) side-by-side in the main window.

As a complication, the upcoming R 3.5.0 will break RKWard in two ways:
RKWard 0.6.5 will not work with R 3.5.0 at all (if there is a need for
this, we could consider also releasing a patched 0.6.5-release to
support KDE4 installations; right now the focus in on 0.7.0, only).
Further, RKWard 0.7.0 _compiled_ with R >= 3.5.0 will not run with R
3.4.x and vice-versa.

To make sure we avoid breakage as much as possible, we'll try to make
do with a rather short testing period, and release on April 16th, i.e.
roughly a week before the scheduled release of R 3.5.0. In order to
make this work, ***I'd like to ask you to provide feedback by April
13*** (the earlier the better). Naturally, if anything important comes
up, the testing period will be extended as necessary. More details at
https://rkward.kde.org/Release_Schedule .

Downloads are also linked from the release schedule page, above, but
as a lot of things have changed under the hood (corresponding to a lot
of hard work by Meik and others). I'll point out the main downloads,
here, too:

---- Source: ----
https://files.kde.org/rkward/testing/rkward-0.6.9z+0.7.0+pre1.tar.gz

---- MacOS X installer: ----
https://files.kde.org/rkward/testing/bundles/MacOSX/RKWard-binary-0.7.0pre1_OSX10.11_KF5-5.42.0_needs_CRAN_R-3.4.4.pkg

For OSX 10.11 or higher. You have to install R 3.4.4, separately.

---- Windows installer: ----

https://files.kde.org/rkward/testing/bundles/Windows/rkward-0.7.0-pre1-mingw_64-gcc.exe

This comes bundled with R 3.4.4.

---- Ubuntu binaries: ----

For regular Ubuntu installs:
https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel/+archive/ubuntu/rkward-kf5-daily

For Ubuntu installs with the CRAN version of R:
https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel/+archive/ubuntu/rkward-kf5-daily-cran

For Ubuntu installs with the CRAN version of R and KF5 backports:
https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel/+archive/ubuntu/rkward-kf5-backports-daily-cran

Thanks!
Thomas

Re: Fwd: Upcoming release RKWard 0.7.0 - Call for testing

Wolfgang Bauer
Am Sonntag, 8. April 2018, 12:55:13 schrieb Vojtěch Zeisek:
> Shorty, KF5/Qt5 RKWard is finally almost out. It will work only with
> upcoming R 3.5 (not with R 3.4 and older)

That's wrong. It will still work with R 3.4 too.
It just won't work with 3.4 if you *build* it with 3.5 and vice-versa, but
that's nothing new really, it always required the same R version on runtime as
it was built against.

Yes, the current rkward version we have in openSUSE does not support 3.5.0.
That has only been added recently, after I updated the package to a KF5/Qt5
git snapshot.
But R 3.5.0 is not released yet. AFAIK it's planned for the end of April.
I plan to add the necessary patch or update the rkward package in the next
weeks.
(rkward 0.6.5 is irrelevant here as we don't have that in openSUSE anymore)

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang

Dne neděle 8. dubna 2018 13:29:49 CEST, Wolfgang Bauer napsal(a):
> Am Sonntag, 8. April 2018, 12:55:13 schrieb Vojtěch Zeisek:
> > Shorty, KF5/Qt5 RKWard is finally almost out. It will work only with
> > upcoming R 3.5 (not with R 3.4 and older)
>
> That's wrong. It will still work with R 3.4 too.
> It just won't work with 3.4 if you *build* it with 3.5 and vice-versa, but
> that's nothing new really, it always required the same R version on runtime
> as it was built against.

Sorry for confusion. Quoting from the forwarded mail: "...RKWard 0.6.5 will
not work with R 3.5.0 at all...". I read it as there is some change in R, so
that just recompilation wouldn't be enough. If not, good. :-)

> Yes, the current rkward version we have in openSUSE does not support 3.5.0.
> That has only been added recently, after I updated the package to a KF5/Qt5
> git snapshot.

> But R 3.5.0 is not released yet. AFAIK it's planned for the end of April.

Exactly.

> I plan to add the necessary patch or update the rkward package in the next
> weeks.

Thank You!

> (rkward 0.6.5 is irrelevant here as we don't have that in openSUSE anymore)

Isn't 0.6.5 still available in OSS for 42.3? I see it at
https://software.opensuse.org/package/rkward

> Kind Regards,
> Wolfgang

Thank You,
V.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/

Am Sonntag, 8. April 2018, 14:37:56 schrieb Vojtěch Zeisek:
> Sorry for confusion. Quoting from the forwarded mail: "...RKWard 0.6.5 will
> not work with R 3.5.0 at all...".

Right.
But you wrote that rkward 0.7.0 won't work with R 3.4, and that's wrong. ;-)

> I read it as there is some change in R, so
> that just recompilation wouldn't be enough. If not, good. :-)

Sure, there are changes in R 3.5, otherwise it wouldn't get a new version
number... ;-)

That rkward 0.6.5 won't work with the upcoming R 3.5 even if recompiled is
nothing new either though. rkward 0.6.3 even failed to build with R 3.3.x, so
had to be updated to 0.6.5 back then or it would have had to be dropped from
the distribution and wouldn't have been included in Leap 42.2.
(I updated the rkward package back then, even though I'm not a maintainer)

In this particular case, it seems that rkward would crash with R 3.5.
That's been fixed 2 weeks ago:
https://cgit.kde.org/rkward.git/commit/?id=eb252517d4b80075683f4cba4246c7a17487037a

At least that's the only relevant change since the openSUSE package has been
switched to the Qt5/KF5 based git snapshot in December.

> > But R 3.5.0 is not released yet. AFAIK it's planned for the end of April.
>
> Exactly.

On the 23rd to be exact.
And rkward 0.7.0 is scheduled for April 16th now (as written in the mail you
forwarded), so everything should be fine.

If rkward's release should be delayed for some reason, I will take appropriate
actions though of course, either add the necessary patch or update to latest
git master. We'll see in a week...

> > (rkward 0.6.5 is irrelevant here as we don't have that in openSUSE
> > anymore)
>
> Isn't 0.6.5 still available in OSS for 42.3? I see it at
> https://software.opensuse.org/package/rkward

0.6.5 is included in standard 42.3, yes.
But that comes with R 3.3.1 anyway. Updating R to 3.5.0 in Leap 42.3 would
rather be against openSUSE's update policies, but even if that would happen
for some reason it would require an rkward update anyway so we can just as
well add the patch or update it to 0.7.0 at the same time.

No point in worrying about that though IMHO.

devel:languages:R.released (which will of course get the latest R version
eventually, as it is the devel project for R in Factory) only contains *one*
rkward version/package (built for several distributions including 42.3), and
that will be updated anyway (also rkward is maintained in that repo, i.e. it's
also the devel project for rkward in Factory).

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang