Quantcast

Fwd: Re: openSUSE Conference

Douglas DeMaio

Hi all,

Do you have any ideas for topics that Aleix, KDE VP, could discuss at oSC17? He's going to be a keynote speaker.

v/r

Doug

Re: Fwd: Re: openSUSE Conference

Bruno Friedmann-2
On mercredi, 15 février 2017 08.30:39 h CET Douglas DeMaio wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Do you have any ideas for topics that Aleix, KDE VP, could discuss at
> oSC17? He's going to be a keynote speaker.
>
> v/r
>
> Doug

a)
A debate between kde neon and our own rich gaz (argon and krypton)
But this would at least need the presence of one our beloved KDE/Plasma/
Framework/Apps maintainers.
Which I would really encourage and see happening.
(hey mens there's TSP afterall, even if it doesn't pay the time needed),

I've too much beers/brevage debts to those guys I would like to sold :-)))

b)
A auto-critics about what was right and wrong in the KDE community vision
about the products they propose, and also the way the community is driven.
Subjects that we can learn on, (mentoring, welcome team, VDG) etc.

just some roughts idea

--

Bruno Friedmann
 Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

Re: Fwd: Re: openSUSE Conference

Luca Beltrame
In data mercoledì 15 febbraio 2017 11:32:24 CET, Bruno Friedmann ha scritto:

> A debate between kde neon and our own rich gaz (argon and krypton)
> But this would at least need the presence of one our beloved KDE/Plasma/
> Framework/Apps maintainers.

a) would be good, but speaking for myself, it's very, very difficult for me to
attend FOSS events (I can't go there on work time - different field - and on
personal time it's close to impossible).

> b)
> A auto-critics about what was right and wrong in the KDE community vision
> about the products they propose, and also the way the community is driven.

Please, not this one: discussions on this within KDE reach the heights of the
"time remaining on battery" debate of old, aka a supreme bikeshedding.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter

Re: Fwd: Re: openSUSE Conference

Cornelius Schumacher-2
On 2017 M02 15, Wed 08:30:39 CET Douglas DeMaio wrote:

> Do you have any ideas for topics that Aleix, KDE VP, could discuss at
> oSC17? He's going to be a keynote speaker.

Some topics I would find interesting:
* How KDE works with distributions, how the whole is greater than the sum of
its parts
* Mentoring as community booster. KDE has a huge amount of experience with
that, it would be great to share some of that for openSUSE and other
communities to learn from.
* The Done Desktop. Show how KDE has matured, how it has accomplished the
original mission of providing a Linux desktop on par with others, what is the
state today (not sure, everybody agrees, though, that is is done, but maybe
this could be a fun part of such a topic ;-)

--
Cornelius Schumacher <[hidden email]>

Re: Fwd: Re: openSUSE Conference

Luca Beltrame
In data venerdì 17 febbraio 2017 11:32:29 CET, Cornelius Schumacher ha
scritto:

> * How KDE works with distributions, how the whole is greater than the sum of
> its parts

This can be *highly* controversial and might raise a good (or bad) debate, and
for sure might engage the audience, given recent posts like this one from KDE
community members:

https://vizzzion.org/blog/2017/02/plasma-meeting-web-browsers-and-app-bundles/

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
GPG key ID: A29D259B

Re: Fwd: Re: openSUSE Conference

Klaas Freitag
Hi,

On 17.02.2017 11:53, Luca Beltrame wrote:

> In data venerdì 17 febbraio 2017 11:32:29 CET, Cornelius Schumacher ha
> scritto:
>
>> * How KDE works with distributions, how the whole is greater than the sum of
>> its parts
>
> This can be *highly* controversial and might raise a good (or bad) debate, and
> for sure might engage the audience, given recent posts like this one from KDE
> community members:
>
> https://vizzzion.org/blog/2017/02/plasma-meeting-web-browsers-and-app-bundles/

True, but that is another reason to take up the discussion about this.
The bundling "movement" has good reasons, and we should have good
arguments on how we want to tackle the issues.

I think OBS can help a lot here (ie. make distribution of software
faster, cross platform packaging etc.), so we should not be afraid ;-)

regards,

Klaas