Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Stefan Zimmer
Hi,

well, it's not youtube, but what about other sites, for example golem.de or
spiegel.de? Both very popular news sites in germany.

Greetings,
 Stefan

Am Dienstag, 27. Oktober 2015, 12:15:57 schrieb Bjørn Lie:

> ti., 27.10.2015 kl. 11.26 +0100, skrev Jiri Slaby:
> > On 10/26/2015, 06:38 PM, Vahis wrote:
> > > Flash is not needed for YouTube.
> > > They ditched it a while ago.
> >
> > That's not true at all. Many videos cannot be played only using html5
> > on
> > youtube. See https://www.youtube.com/html5
> >
> > thanks,
>
> I've been using html5 only on youtube for ages, and I've yet to come
> across a video I can't play without flash, but I might have been lucky.
>
> Could someone please send a link for such a video on youtube.com?
> Because I suspect that this was true in the past, but not anymore.
>
> That there might be a lot of other videosites that have not migrated
> everything to html5 is an other matter.
>
> //Bjørn

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Stefan Zimmer-2

well, it's not youtube, but what about golem.de or spiegel.de?
Both very popular news sites in germany.

Greetings,
 stefan

Am Dienstag, 27. Oktober 2015, 12:15:57 schrieb Bjørn Lie:

> ti., 27.10.2015 kl. 11.26 +0100, skrev Jiri Slaby:
> > On 10/26/2015, 06:38 PM, Vahis wrote:
> > > Flash is not needed for YouTube.
> > > They ditched it a while ago.
> >
> > That's not true at all. Many videos cannot be played only using html5
> > on
> > youtube. See https://www.youtube.com/html5
> >
> > thanks,
>
> I've been using html5 only on youtube for ages, and I've yet to come
> across a video I can't play without flash, but I might have been lucky.
>
> Could someone please send a link for such a video on youtube.com?
> Because I suspect that this was true in the past, but not anymore.
>
> That there might be a lot of other videosites that have not migrated
> everything to html5 is an other matter.
>
> //Bjørn

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Stephan Kulow-3
On 27.10.2015 12:24, Stefan Zimmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> well, it's not youtube, but what about other sites, for example golem.de or
> spiegel.de? Both very popular news sites in germany.

You can still download flash-player from adobe's web site - and that's
what adobe wants you to do

Greetings, Stephan

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Jan Engelhardt-4
On Tuesday 2015-10-27 12:24, Stefan Zimmer wrote:

>well, it's not youtube, but what about other sites, for example golem.de or
>spiegel.de? Both very popular news sites in germany.

youtube-dl
https://video.golem.de/wissenschaft/16152/gewebe-drucken-mit-dem-makerbot.html
=> success

youtube-dl
http://www.spiegel.de/video/laub-drohne-ersetzt-besen-video-1620578.html
=> success

youtube-dl http://www.spiegel.tv/filme/insider-raserszene-hamburg/
=> no support
=> BUT: Flash crashes in the browser, too. So: Shit outta luck
on this one.

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Jiri Slaby-6
On 10/27/2015, 12:15 PM, Bjørn Lie wrote:
> I've been using html5 only on youtube for ages, and I've yet to come
> across a video I can't play without flash, but I might have been lucky.
>
> Could someone please send a link for such a video on youtube.com?
> Because I suspect that this was true in the past, but not anymore.

Are you lucky to play any 1080p video in 1080p?

--
js
suse labs

On 2015-10-27 12:32, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> You can still download flash-player from adobe's web site - and that's
> what adobe wants you to do

Why was this not said in the initial post? ;-)
Would have saved noise. It is about the same we do with the JRE, no?

The question then arises, how to learn when to do updates, and how to do
them. Maybe someone can find out and post on the wiki :-?

                (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Carlos E. R.-2
On 2015-10-27 14:47, Carlos E. R. wrote:

The link is:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

this got me:

https://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.2.202.540/flash-plugin-11.2.202.540-release.x86_64.rpm

On 2015-10-27 10:59, Stephan Kulow wrote:

>  - adobe allows bundling flash-player only under very
>    specific requirements
>  - openSUSE no longer applies to these requirements as seen
>    by the SUSE lawyers
>  - their view is the only one that matters to me in that context

I suppose this will also affect 11.4, 13.1, and 13.2?

                (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Mathias Homann-2
On 10/27/2015 02:47 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> On 2015-10-27 12:32, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
>> You can still download flash-player from adobe's web site - and that's
>> what adobe wants you to do
> Why was this not said in the initial post? ;-)
> Would have saved noise. It is about the same we do with the JRE, no?
>
> The question then arises, how to learn when to do updates, and how to do
> them. Maybe someone can find out and post on the wiki :-?

Adobe provides a yum repository, I'd assume that is the way to go for
updates now.
Haven't tested it on anything other than RHEV so far tho.

Cheers
Mathias

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Bjørn Lie-2
ti., 27.10.2015 kl. 14.24 +0100, skrev Jiri Slaby:

> On 10/27/2015, 12:15 PM, Bjørn Lie wrote:
> > I've been using html5 only on youtube for ages, and I've yet to
> > come
> > across a video I can't play without flash, but I might have been
> > lucky.
> >
> > Could someone please send a link for such a video on youtube.com?
> > Because I suspect that this was true in the past, but not anymore.
>
> Are you lucky to play any 1080p video in 1080p?

http://paste.opensuse.org/25887500

Works for me :-)

//Bjørn

Finding out how to install Flash from Adobe [Was: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1]

On 2015-10-27 09:13, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
> Op maandag 26 oktober 2015 23:21:30 schreef Carlos E. R.:

>> It is not that I want to use Flash, it is that some sites I use force
>> me to use Flash. No choice.
>>
> The pipelight-plugin does Silverlight AND Flash

Try this one:

<http://www.atresplayer.com/directos/television/lasexta/>

I just tried, on Leap, and it is using Flash (on FF), which has not been
removed yet by updates (yet?). I'm running now another zypper dup (a
thousand changes) and I'll try again.

[...]

Yes, it warns that it is outdated, but runs.

The page offers to update the plugin. Trying.
It takes me to
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/?utm_source=firefox-browser&utm_medium=firefox-browser&utm_campaign=plugincheck-update>

Adobe Flash Player     vulnerable
Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202   11.2.202.508

Clicking on update takes to: <https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/>

I have to select the appropriate version (rpm for Linux), and click
download. Firefox proposes to "install/remove software (default).

YaST starts, after giving root's password.

I get a conflict. Related?

#### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2015-10-27 16:45:28 ####

nothing provides appdata(thunderbird.appdata.xml) needed by
application:Thunderbird-.noarch

    [ ] deinstallation of application:Thunderbird-.noarch

    [ ] break application:Thunderbird-.noarch by ignoring some of its
dependencies

nothing provides appdata(Thunar.appdata.xml) needed by
application:Thunar File Manager-.noarch

    [ ] deinstallation of application:Thunar File Manager-.noarch

    [ ] break application:Thunar File Manager-.noarch by ignoring some
of its dependencies

#### YaST2 conflicts list END ###

I choose "break". YaST proceeds with installation...

There is a problem, the old version was not removed automatically:

Eleanor-421:~ # rpm -qa | grep -i flash
flash-plugin-11.2.202.540-release.x86_64
flash-player-gnome-11.2.202.508-1.2.x86_64
flash-player-11.2.202.508-1.2.x86_64
Eleanor-421:~ #
Eleanor-421:~ # rpm --erase flash-player flash-player-gnome
Eleanor-421:~ #

Refreshing Firefox plugin page now lists no flash. Maybe needs a
restart. [...]. No, there is no flash plugin, something else must be
needed. Probably a link.

And the media pages like
<http://www.atresplayer.com/directos/television/lasexta/> now fail. It
proposes me to install Flash.

                (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Johannes Meixner

On Oct 27 14:56 Carlos E. R. wrote (excerpt):
> The link is:
>
> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Right now I created

https://en.opensuse.org/Adobe_Flash_Player

as a starting point - just as I did it for

https://en.opensuse.org/Adobe_Reader

I would very much appreciate it if

https://en.opensuse.org/Adobe_Flash_Player

is enhanced and extended by those who better than I know
how to deal with that issue so that the issue is sufficiently
well explained to unexperienced openSUSE users so that they
can understand what the issue is and how to deal with it.

Many thanks in advance for all valuable contribution!

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)

Re: Finding out how to install Flash from Adobe [Was: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1]

Knurpht-openSUSE
Op dinsdag 27 oktober 2015 15:59:31 schreef Carlos E. R.:

> On 2015-10-27 09:13, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
> > Op maandag 26 oktober 2015 23:21:30 schreef Carlos E. R.:
> >> It is not that I want to use Flash, it is that some sites I use force
> >> me to use Flash. No choice.
> >
> > The pipelight-plugin does Silverlight AND Flash
>
> Try this one:
>
> <http://www.atresplayer.com/directos/television/lasexta/>
>
> I just tried, on Leap, and it is using Flash (on FF), which has not been
> removed yet by updates (yet?). I'm running now another zypper dup (a
> thousand changes) and I'll try again.
>
> [...]
>
> Yes, it warns that it is outdated, but runs.
>
> The page offers to update the plugin. Trying.
> It takes me to
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/?utm_source=firefox-browser&utm_m
> edium=firefox-browser&utm_campaign=plugincheck-update>
>
> Adobe Flash Player     vulnerable
> Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202   11.2.202.508
>
> Clicking on update takes to: <https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/>
>
> I have to select the appropriate version (rpm for Linux), and click
> download. Firefox proposes to "install/remove software (default).
>
> YaST starts, after giving root's password.
>
> I get a conflict. Related?
>
> #### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2015-10-27 16:45:28 ####
>
> nothing provides appdata(thunderbird.appdata.xml) needed by
> application:Thunderbird-.noarch
>
>     [ ] deinstallation of application:Thunderbird-.noarch
>
>     [ ] break application:Thunderbird-.noarch by ignoring some of its
> dependencies
>

> nothing provides appdata(Thunar.appdata.xml) needed by
> application:Thunar File Manager-.noarch
>
>     [ ] deinstallation of application:Thunar File Manager-.noarch
>
>     [ ] break application:Thunar File Manager-.noarch by ignoring some
> of its dependencies
>

> #### YaST2 conflicts list END ###
>

> I choose "break". YaST proceeds with installation...
>
> There is a problem, the old version was not removed automatically:
>
> Eleanor-421:~ # rpm -qa | grep -i flash
> flash-plugin-11.2.202.540-release.x86_64
> flash-player-gnome-11.2.202.508-1.2.x86_64
> flash-player-11.2.202.508-1.2.x86_64
> Eleanor-421:~ #
> Eleanor-421:~ # rpm --erase flash-player flash-player-gnome
> Eleanor-421:~ #
>

> Refreshing Firefox plugin page now lists no flash. Maybe needs a
> restart. [...]. No, there is no flash plugin, something else must be
> needed. Probably a link.
>
> And the media pages like
> <http://www.atresplayer.com/directos/television/lasexta/> now fail. It
> proposes me to install Flash.

In ancient times we used to download the tar.gz, unpack it and copy
libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/browser-plugins or  ~/.mozilla/plugins. Doesn't
that work any more?

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

Official openSUSE Member
openSUSE Forums Team

Re: Finding out how to install Flash from Adobe [Was: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1]

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
On Tue, 2015-10-27 at 15:59 +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> I get a conflict. Related?

The two conflicts seem not to be related at all. which is good

> #### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2015-10-27 16:45:28 ####
>
> nothing provides appdata(thunderbird.appdata.xml) needed by
> application:Thunderbird-.noarch
>
>     [ ] deinstallation of application:Thunderbird-.noarch
>
>     [ ] break application:Thunderbird-.noarch by ignoring some of its
> dependencies

Wolfgang just fixed that one in MozillaFirefox; I guess the packages
are similar enough that it warrants a fix in Thunderbird too; please
file a bug directly.

> nothing provides appdata(Thunar.appdata.xml) needed by
> application:Thunar File Manager-.noarch
>
>     [ ] deinstallation of application:Thunar File Manager-.noarch
>
>     [ ] break application:Thunar File Manager-.noarch by ignoring
> some
> of its dependencies

That one can be seen as a libzypp bug or a thunar bug; the fix is
certainly easier in Thunar.

The package provides:
  appdata(thunar.appdata.xml)
and
  application(Thunar.desktop)

Now, thunar does not really do anything 'invalid' there, as the
provided appdata.xml correctly references Thunar.desktop, but libzypp
falls on the nose with it.

For this error to disappear, the appdata file and the .desktop file
should use the same basename.

So the easiest fix is for Thunar to rename thunar.appdata.xml to
Thunar.appdata.xml; then the problem disappears (do not rename the
.desktop file, or you will need to patch the appdata.xml, which
references the .desktop file by name)

In the longer run, libzypp might need a fix to not be so pedantic about
it (the AppData standard does not mandate the names to be equal; but
from any upstream project PoV, it's good practice to reuse the naming
schemes throughout the project anyway).

So, you see: best to file a bug against Thunar here

Cheers,
Dominique

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Claudio Freire
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:40 AM, Mathias Homann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/27/2015 02:47 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2015-10-27 12:32, Stephan Kulow wrote:
>>
>>> You can still download flash-player from adobe's web site - and that's
>>> what adobe wants you to do
>> Why was this not said in the initial post? ;-)
>> Would have saved noise. It is about the same we do with the JRE, no?
>>
>> The question then arises, how to learn when to do updates, and how to do
>> them. Maybe someone can find out and post on the wiki :-?
>>
> Adobe provides a yum repository, I'd assume that is the way to go for
> updates now.
> Haven't tested it on anything other than RHEV so far tho.

I've been using adobe's yum repository for a while now.

It used to require lsb, not sure if it's still the case (which is no
problem on TW or Leap AFAIK, but thought I'd mention).

It works fine, but at one point I needed to add a symlink to firefox
for it to find the plugin. It was a long while ago.

So, summary, it's not as smooth a ride as openSUSE's package, but it
works well enough.

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Martin Schlander
Tirsdag den 27. oktober 2015 12:35:33 skrev Jan Engelhardt:

> On Tuesday 2015-10-27 12:24, Stefan Zimmer wrote:
> >well, it's not youtube, but what about other sites, for example golem.de or
> >spiegel.de? Both very popular news sites in germany.
>
> youtube-dl
> https://video.golem.de/wissenschaft/16152/gewebe-drucken-mit-dem-makerbot.ht
> ml => success
>
> youtube-dl
> http://www.spiegel.de/video/laub-drohne-ersetzt-besen-video-1620578.html
> => success
>
> youtube-dl http://www.spiegel.tv/filme/insider-raserszene-hamburg/
> => no support
> => BUT: Flash crashes in the browser, too. So: Shit outta luck
> on this one.

Wow. Youtube-dl even seems to work on dr.dk (Danish national television) I
never even bothered to try that before.

On 2015-10-27 16:25, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:

> In ancient times we used to download the tar.gz, unpack it and copy
> libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/browser-plugins or  ~/.mozilla/plugins. Doesn't
> that work any more?

Yes, but I had to locate what to link where :-)

Eleanor-421:~ # ln -s /usr/lib64/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib64/browser-plugins/libflashplayer.so
Eleanor-421:~ #

and now Flash works in Leap :-)