Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
136 messages Options
12345 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Uzair Shamim
On 10/26/2015 11:26 AM, Robert Kaiser wrote:

> Jan Engelhardt schrieb:
>>
>> On Monday 2015-10-26 15:04, Robert Kaiser wrote:
>>>
>>> I have to run two things right at this moment (a game and a
>>> sports video player) that require Flash.
>>
>> Nobody has to run, of all things, games. :p
>> And as for sports, perhaps you can throw youtube-dl at it,
>> at least for non-live events.
>
> The latter will not help for watching live NFL, and that's all I care
> about.
>
> That said, yes, you are right, I don't "have to" play this game or watch
> live NFL, but unfortunately, if I want to (and I do) I *have to* use
> Flash for it at this time. :(
> And that's what I meant.
>
> KaiRo
>

Argh damn thunderbird addons...

Anyways what I was trying to say:

As Marguerite mentioned below, you can use freshplayerplugin if you want
to use flash on firefox, its basically a wrapper for the chrome PPAPI
pepper flash. If anything its better than using the horribly legacy
11.x.x NPAPI version as pepper flash is up to date in more than security
patches (19.x.x).

At the moment I can confirm I see it in the openSUSE-Leap-42.1-Oss repo
and installing it does make it show up in firefox.

--
Regards,
Uzair Shamim
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Robert Kaiser
Uzair Shamim schrieb:
> As Marguerite mentioned below, you can use freshplayerplugin if you want
> to use flash on firefox, its basically a wrapper for the chrome PPAPI
> pepper flash. If anything its better than using the horribly legacy
> 11.x.x NPAPI version as pepper flash is up to date in more than security
> patches (19.x.x).

It has more featu5res, but not more security patches. 11.2.x for Linux
has patches for all known security issues that affect it ported back
from the standard release series, at least from what I hear. But yes,
you need Flash 19 to get the new feature of Firefox 42 and higher to be
shown tabs that produce audio and be able to mute them.

Can you confirm that both freshplayerplugin *and* the actual
Pepper-Flash it uses are available as packages for Tumbleweed?

KaiRo
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

alanbortu
On 10/26/2015 12:40 PM, Robert Kaiser wrote:

> Uzair Shamim schrieb:
>> As Marguerite mentioned below, you can use freshplayerplugin if you want
>> to use flash on firefox, its basically a wrapper for the chrome PPAPI
>> pepper flash. If anything its better than using the horribly legacy
>> 11.x.x NPAPI version as pepper flash is up to date in more than security
>> patches (19.x.x).
>
> It has more featu5res, but not more security patches. 11.2.x for Linux
> has patches for all known security issues that affect it ported back
> from the standard release series, at least from what I hear. But yes,
> you need Flash 19 to get the new feature of Firefox 42 and higher to be
> shown tabs that produce audio and be able to mute them.
>
> Can you confirm that both freshplayerplugin *and* the actual
> Pepper-Flash it uses are available as packages for Tumbleweed?
>
> KaiRo

According to Adobe, freshplayerplugin/pepper-flash is at the latest
version: http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/a8461972

I have tested it on *Leap* and I can play youtube videos fine. If there
is a particular site you are concerned about I can test it if you
provide a link (or you can just install the plugin and try it yourself).

WRT packages, at least on Leap, freshplayerplugin is in the OSS repo but
you will need some way to get the actual pepper-flash plugin.

Seeing as there is no packman repo yet (at least I cannot find it!) you
can try using one of the other distro repos but I cannot comment on how
"good" that is. Just for the purpose of testing I added the TW repo to
see if I could get the plugin to load and it works. However I have
removed it now and plan to wait until there is a packman repo for Leap.

PS: For TW...

freshplayerplugin: https://software.opensuse.org/package/freshplayerplugin

chromium-pepper-flash:
http://mirror.karneval.cz/pub/linux/packman/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/Essentials/x86_64/

--
Regards,
Uzair Shamim
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Carlos E. R.-3
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

On 2015-10-26 17:58, Uzair Shamim wrote:
> Seeing as there is no packman repo yet (at least I cannot find
> it!)

They hope to have it up this week.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.

  (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.22 (GNU/Linux)

iF4EAREIAAYFAlYuXLEACgkQja8UbcUWM1zDVQD/TmkCR4wlB2EHT9CYGQk4/FuR
NNZsk/LuKO/qf8G71mkA/2ZTsathDyJ0RMK2MT2/7M/484tOD0LqWOs2/1UUk4o4
=bdwF
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Vahis
In reply to this post by alanbortu
On 26.10.2015 18:58, Uzair Shamim wrote:

>
> According to Adobe, freshplayerplugin/pepper-flash is at the latest
> version: http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/a8461972
>
> I have tested it on *Leap* and I can play youtube videos fine. If there
> is a particular site you are concerned about I can test it if you
> provide a link (or you can just install the plugin and try it yourself).
>

Flash is not needed for YouTube.
They ditched it a while ago.

Vahis

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

alanbortu
On 10/26/2015 01:38 PM, Vahis wrote:

> On 26.10.2015 18:58, Uzair Shamim wrote:
>
>>
>> According to Adobe, freshplayerplugin/pepper-flash is at the latest
>> version: http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/a8461972
>>
>> I have tested it on *Leap* and I can play youtube videos fine. If there
>> is a particular site you are concerned about I can test it if you
>> provide a link (or you can just install the plugin and try it yourself).
>>
>
> Flash is not needed for YouTube.
> They ditched it a while ago.
>
> Vahis
>

Yes but you can still use it, right click on the player and it will tell
you what is being used. For me it showed flash player.

--
Regards,
Uzair Shamim
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Vahis
On 26.10.2015 19:44, Uzair Shamim wrote:

> On 10/26/2015 01:38 PM, Vahis wrote:
>> On 26.10.2015 18:58, Uzair Shamim wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> According to Adobe, freshplayerplugin/pepper-flash is at the latest
>>> version: http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/a8461972
>>>
>>> I have tested it on *Leap* and I can play youtube videos fine. If there
>>> is a particular site you are concerned about I can test it if you
>>> provide a link (or you can just install the plugin and try it yourself).
>>>
>>
>> Flash is not needed for YouTube.
>> They ditched it a while ago.
>>
>> Vahis
>>
>
> Yes but you can still use it, right click on the player and it will tell
> you what is being used. For me it showed flash player.
>

Then that must be a great solution for those who still insist to use
flash although it's not needed.

Vahis
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Jimmy Berry
Many times sites will still prefer flash even if they have full html5
video support. Try disabling it on some or the sites you use. Many
sites have fallback modes which are more than adequate...if not
better.

--
Jimmy


On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Vahis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26.10.2015 19:44, Uzair Shamim wrote:
>>
>> On 10/26/2015 01:38 PM, Vahis wrote:
>>>
>>> On 26.10.2015 18:58, Uzair Shamim wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> According to Adobe, freshplayerplugin/pepper-flash is at the latest
>>>> version: http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/a8461972
>>>>
>>>> I have tested it on *Leap* and I can play youtube videos fine. If there
>>>> is a particular site you are concerned about I can test it if you
>>>> provide a link (or you can just install the plugin and try it yourself).
>>>>
>>>
>>> Flash is not needed for YouTube.
>>> They ditched it a while ago.
>>>
>>> Vahis
>>>
>>
>> Yes but you can still use it, right click on the player and it will tell
>> you what is being used. For me it showed flash player.
>>
>
> Then that must be a great solution for those who still insist to use flash
> although it's not needed.
>
> Vahis
>
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Uzair Shamim
In reply to this post by Vahis
On 10/26/2015 02:43 PM, Vahis wrote:

> On 26.10.2015 19:44, Uzair Shamim wrote:
>> On 10/26/2015 01:38 PM, Vahis wrote:
>>>
>>> Flash is not needed for YouTube.
>>> They ditched it a while ago.
>>>
>>> Vahis
>>>
>>
>> Yes but you can still use it, right click on the player and it will tell
>> you what is being used. For me it showed flash player.
>>
>
> Then that must be a great solution for those who still insist to use
> flash although it's not needed.
>
> Vahis

I was just providing an example for Robert to show that it works :)

Personally I don't even use flash unless I absolutely need it for
something important. And when I do use it, its always inside of a
virtual machine.

--
Regards,
Uzair Shamim
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Carlos E. R.-2
In reply to this post by Vahis
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

On 2015-10-26 19:43, Vahis wrote:

> Then that must be a great solution for those who still insist to
> use flash although it's not needed.

Well, TV sites in Spain use Flash, last time I looked.

My cable ISP requires Silverlight. Since recently, it works in Chrome
(Linux) with an experimental plugin, called "native client module".

It is not that I want to use Flash, it is that some sites I use force
me to use Flash. No choice.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

                Carlos E. R.

  (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.22 (GNU/Linux)

iF4EAREIAAYFAlYup2oACgkQja8UbcUWM1zJ8gEAhtnNkrbvILKJMcwYzA5UrCm+
M4sOAxmmFM9ha3w6NzAA/jTEvjnJJ1nMzOzCrHioWdwnMg0SulLPu+OIFLqWOJP2
=cO1T
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

James Mason
In reply to this post by Jimmy Berry
On Mon, 2015-10-26 at 14:08 -0500, Jimmy Berry wrote:
> Try disabling it on some or the sites you use.

I went a step further, after the last round of security vulnerabilities
in flash about a month ago, and just removed it. (When flash is
disabled, Firefox makes it abundantly clear how many sites are still
using this, for exceptionally annoying ads.)

I have to say, I don't miss it. Yes, there have been a few sites where
content didn't play, but nothing I *needed*. With iOS devices having
never supported flash, and Android devices joining that group years
ago, the *need* for flash has dwindled, and only us desktop users must
suffer it.

If I did hit something I needed, well, there's always Chrome. ;-)

--
James Mason
Technical Architect, Public Cloud
openSUSE Member
SUSE
[hidden email]
-------------------------------------
SUSECon 2015: Register at susecon.com

signature.asc (484 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Knurpht-openSUSE
In reply to this post by Carlos E. R.-2
Op maandag 26 oktober 2015 23:21:30 schreef Carlos E. R.:
> On 2015-10-26 19:43, Vahis wrote:
> > Then that must be a great solution for those who still insist to
> > use flash although it's not needed.
>
> Well, TV sites in Spain use Flash, last time I looked.
>
> My cable ISP requires Silverlight. Since recently, it works in Chrome
> (Linux) with an experimental plugin, called "native client module".
>
Then it's no longer Silverlight. Google blocks Silverlight in Chrome for it's
security, or rather the lack of security. Firefox and Pipelight can do
Silverlight based sites fine.
 
> It is not that I want to use Flash, it is that some sites I use force
> me to use Flash. No choice.
>
The pipelight-plugin does Silverlight AND Flash


> --
> Cheers / Saludos,
>
> Carlos E. R.
>
>   (from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

Official openSUSE Member
openSUSE Forums Team
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Stephan Kulow-3
In reply to this post by Marcus Meissner
On 26.10.2015 11:40, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As package drops and additions should be mentioned on the -factory list ...
>
> Adobe Flash Player has been dropped from both Leap 42.1 and Tumbleweed.
>
> If you want to know why you are welcome to give a call to our legal
> aide Ciaran, whose phone number is in the drop request.
>
Sorry, I should have done that - but I dropped the ball ;(

I won't argue with any reply, but I can tell you the facts:

 - adobe allows bundling flash-player only under very
   specific requirements
 - openSUSE no longer applies to these requirements as seen
   by the SUSE lawyers
 - their view is the only one that matters to me in that context

Greetings, Stephan

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Jiri Slaby-6
In reply to this post by Vahis
On 10/26/2015, 06:38 PM, Vahis wrote:

> On 26.10.2015 18:58, Uzair Shamim wrote:
>
>>
>> According to Adobe, freshplayerplugin/pepper-flash is at the latest
>> version: http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/a8461972
>>
>> I have tested it on *Leap* and I can play youtube videos fine. If there
>> is a particular site you are concerned about I can test it if you
>> provide a link (or you can just install the plugin and try it yourself).
>>
>
> Flash is not needed for YouTube.
> They ditched it a while ago.

That's not true at all. Many videos cannot be played only using html5 on
youtube. See https://www.youtube.com/html5

thanks,
--
js
suse labs
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Andreas Schwab-2
Jiri Slaby <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 10/26/2015, 06:38 PM, Vahis wrote:
>> On 26.10.2015 18:58, Uzair Shamim wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> According to Adobe, freshplayerplugin/pepper-flash is at the latest
>>> version: http://paste.opensuse.org/view/raw/a8461972
>>>
>>> I have tested it on *Leap* and I can play youtube videos fine. If there
>>> is a particular site you are concerned about I can test it if you
>>> provide a link (or you can just install the plugin and try it yourself).
>>>
>>
>> Flash is not needed for YouTube.
>> They ditched it a while ago.
>
> That's not true at all. Many videos cannot be played only using html5 on
> youtube. See https://www.youtube.com/html5

But all videos can be played via youtube-dl.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Jiri Slaby-6
On 10/27/2015, 11:33 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> But all videos can be played via youtube-dl.

Useless: are you going to educate every random user?

--
js
suse labs
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Jiri Slaby-6
In reply to this post by Stephan Kulow-3
On 10/27/2015, 10:59 AM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> I won't argue with any reply, but I can tell you the facts:
>
>  - adobe allows bundling flash-player only under very
>    specific requirements
>  - openSUSE no longer applies to these requirements as seen
>    by the SUSE lawyers
>  - their view is the only one that matters to me in that context

The question really is what can be done to change their view? I.e. what
exactly means "openSUSE no longer applies" -- what exactly has changed?

Many webs, incl. youtube, are still unusable w/o flash.

thanks,
--
js
suse labs
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Andreas Schwab-2
In reply to this post by Jiri Slaby-6
Jiri Slaby <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 10/27/2015, 11:33 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> But all videos can be played via youtube-dl.
>
> Useless: are you going to educate every random user?

Worksforme, that's all I care.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, [hidden email]
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7
"And now for something completely different."
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Stefan Zimmer
Please excuse me, but that is not the right attitude to spread openSUSE.

That works not for me, not for my wife, not for my children, not for my
sister, ...

Stefan Zimmer

Am Dienstag, 27. Oktober 2015, 11:50:24 schrieb Andreas Schwab:
> Jiri Slaby <[hidden email]> writes:
> > On 10/27/2015, 11:33 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> >> But all videos can be played via youtube-dl.
> >
> > Useless: are you going to educate every random user?
>
> Worksforme, that's all I care.
>
> Andreas.

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Bjørn Lie-2
In reply to this post by Jiri Slaby-6
ti., 27.10.2015 kl. 11.26 +0100, skrev Jiri Slaby:

> On 10/26/2015, 06:38 PM, Vahis wrote:
> >
> > Flash is not needed for YouTube.
> > They ditched it a while ago.
>
> That's not true at all. Many videos cannot be played only using html5
> on
> youtube. See https://www.youtube.com/html5
>
> thanks,
> --
> js
> suse labs

I've been using html5 only on youtube for ages, and I've yet to come
across a video I can't play without flash, but I might have been lucky.

Could someone please send a link for such a video on youtube.com?
Because I suspect that this was true in the past, but not anymore.

That there might be a lot of other videosites that have not migrated
everything to html5 is an other matter.

//Bjørn
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
To contact the owner, e-mail: [hidden email]

12345 ... 7