Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

1234 ... 7

Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Marcus Meissner
Hi,

As package drops and additions should be mentioned on the -factory list ...

Adobe Flash Player has been dropped from both Leap 42.1 and Tumbleweed.

If you want to know why you are welcome to give a call to our legal
aide Ciaran, whose phone number is in the drop request.

Ciao, Marcus

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Mathias Homann-2

On 10/26/2015 11:40 AM, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As package drops and additions should be mentioned on the -factory list ...
>
> Adobe Flash Player has been dropped from both Leap 42.1 and Tumbleweed.
>
> If you want to know why you are welcome to give a call to our legal
> aide Ciaran, whose phone number is in the drop request.
>
> Ciao, Marcus

Hi,

Even though I totally support the decision of getting rid of flash I
can't help but feel a bit surprised by this "if you want to know why,
ask our lawyer" attitude.

Care to explain?

Cheers,
Mathias

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Raymond Wooninck-2
On Monday, 26 October 2015 12:19:18 CET Mathias Homann wrote:
> Even though I totally support the decision of getting rid of flash I
> can't help but feel a bit surprised by this "if you want to know why,
> ask our lawyer" attitude.

I guess because the lawyer took the decision to request the deletion ?

Regards

Raymond

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Benjamin Denisart
On 10/26/2015 12:39 PM, Raymond Wooninck wrote:

> On Monday, 26 October 2015 12:19:18 CET Mathias Homann wrote:
>> Even though I totally support the decision of getting rid of flash I
>> can't help but feel a bit surprised by this "if you want to know why,
>> ask our lawyer" attitude.
>>
> I guess because the lawyer took the decision to request the deletion ?
>
> Regards
>
> Raymond
I think Mathias is asking why it's not explained in the maillinglist.

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 12:40:47PM +0100, Benjamin Denisart wrote:

> On 10/26/2015 12:39 PM, Raymond Wooninck wrote:
> >On Monday, 26 October 2015 12:19:18 CET Mathias Homann wrote:
> >>Even though I totally support the decision of getting rid of flash I
> >>can't help but feel a bit surprised by this "if you want to know why,
> >>ask our lawyer" attitude.
> >>
> >I guess because the lawyer took the decision to request the deletion ?
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Raymond
> I think Mathias is asking why it's not explained in the maillinglist.

Documenting legal issues in a "written" way can cause a *lot* higher legal
damage payments if there would be any, so these things are usually not written down.

On 10/26/2015 12:40 PM, Benjamin Denisart wrote:

> On 10/26/2015 12:39 PM, Raymond Wooninck wrote:
>> On Monday, 26 October 2015 12:19:18 CET Mathias Homann wrote:
>>> Even though I totally support the decision of getting rid of flash I
>>> can't help but feel a bit surprised by this "if you want to know why,
>>> ask our lawyer" attitude.
>>>
>> I guess because the lawyer took the decision to request the deletion ?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Raymond
> I think Mathias is asking why it's not explained in the maillinglist.

that. and why there is no link to the request. I've been trying to find
the request on OBS and I can£t find it there either.

On 10/26/2015 12:59 PM, Mathias Homann wrote:

> On 10/26/2015 12:40 PM, Benjamin Denisart wrote:
>>>>
>>> I guess because the lawyer took the decision to request the deletion ?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Raymond
>> I think Mathias is asking why it's not explained in the maillinglist.
> that. and why there is no link to the request. I've been trying to find
> the request on OBS and I can£t find it there either.

https://build.opensuse.org/request/show/339922. And, Marcus tell me if
I'm wrong but If I well understand, the request append because of Adobe.

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Jan Engelhardt-4

>> I think Mathias is asking why it's not explained in the maillinglist.
>
>Documenting legal issues in a "written" way can cause a *lot* higher legal
>damage payments if there would be any, so these things are usually not written down.

How does that help when one can just phone the lawyer and then
circulate that response to the mailing list?

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Werner Flamme
Jan Engelhardt [26.10.2015 13:59]:

> How does that help when one can just phone the lawyer and then
> circulate that response to the mailing list?

Then this is not a statement issued by the lawyer. Or encouraged by the
lawyer. It is just a private opinion of someone.

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Robert Kaiser
Marcus Meissner schrieb:
> As package drops and additions should be mentioned on the -factory list ...
>
> Adobe Flash Player has been dropped from both Leap 42.1 and Tumbleweed.

Thanks, this means a lot of people will continue to have the current
version installed "until the end of time",even once it becomes horribly
insecure. :(

KaiRo

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Richard Brown
On 26 October 2015 at 14:45, Robert Kaiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, this means a lot of people will continue to have the current version
> installed "until the end of time",even once it becomes horribly insecure. :(

Dude, it's flash, it's been horribly insecure since the beginning of time ;)

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Am 26.10.2015 um 14:47 schrieb Richard Brown:
> On 26 October 2015 at 14:45, Robert Kaiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, this means a lot of people will continue to have the current version
>> installed "until the end of time",even once it becomes horribly insecure. :(
>
> Dude, it's flash, it's been horribly insecure since the beginning of time ;)

ok, but Robert has a point indeed. But then we can discuss based on that
concern:
Actually Firefox will block outdated Flash versions anyway. So people
cannot just continue to use it in many cases. Therefore while there is a
point I'm not sure we have to take extra measurements on it.

We could think about provided a package to replace earlier flash-player
versions shipped by openSUSE which contains "nothing". But then again is
it worth the effort?

Wolfgang

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Werner Flamme
Wolfgang Rosenauer [26.10.2015 14:52]:

> Am 26.10.2015 um 14:47 schrieb Richard Brown:
>> On 26 October 2015 at 14:45, Robert Kaiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, this means a lot of people will continue to have the current version
>>> installed "until the end of time",even once it becomes horribly insecure. :(
>>
>> Dude, it's flash, it's been horribly insecure since the beginning of time ;)
>
> ok, but Robert has a point indeed. But then we can discuss based on that
> concern:
> Actually Firefox will block outdated Flash versions anyway. So people
> cannot just continue to use it in many cases. Therefore while there is a
> point I'm not sure we have to take extra measurements on it.
This "blocking" is just a question. If you decide to continue using the
installed Flash version, this is only 1 click away.

> We could think about provided a package to replace earlier flash-player
> versions shipped by openSUSE which contains "nothing". But then again is
> it worth the effort?

Or you point the folks to the packman Repos, where they will find a
package named chromium-pepper-flash, which can be used by Firefox too.

Werner

Richard Brown schrieb:
> On 26 October 2015 at 14:45, Robert Kaiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, this means a lot of people will continue to have the current version
>> installed "until the end of time",even once it becomes horribly insecure. :(
>
> Dude, it's flash, it's been horribly insecure since the beginning of time ;)

That may be the case, but a ton of web content unfortunately relies on
it. I'd be one of the first people to cheer if Flash would be really
obsolete in this world, but even I have to run two things right at this
moment (a game and a sports video player) that require Flash.

KaiRo

On Monday 2015-10-26 15:04, Robert Kaiser wrote:

> I have to run two things right at this moment (a game and a
> sports video player) that require Flash.

Nobody has to run, of all things, games. :p
And as for sports, perhaps you can throw youtube-dl at it,
at least for non-live events.

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Claudio Freire
On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Robert Kaiser <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard Brown schrieb:
>>
>> On 26 October 2015 at 14:45, Robert Kaiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, this means a lot of people will continue to have the current
>>> version
>>> installed "until the end of time",even once it becomes horribly insecure.
>>> :(
>>

>> Dude, it's flash, it's been horribly insecure since the beginning of time
>> ;)
>

> That may be the case, but a ton of web content unfortunately relies on it.
> I'd be one of the first people to cheer if Flash would be really obsolete in
> this world, but even I have to run two things right at this moment (a game
> and a sports video player) that require Flash.

It's still far safer if you explicitly acknowledge your permission to
run flash by clicking on the appropriate link on FF.

Having it disabled by default, 1 click away from running, isn't such a
bad thing.

At least until everyone moves away from flash. Which will happen quite
faster if Adobe takes this stance.

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Marguerite Su
Hi, list,

There has already been a way to use chromium-pepper-flash on FF for TW

I didn't check Leap, but will do

look for "freshplayerplugin"

"The main goal of this project is to get PPAPI (Pepper) Flash player
working in Firefox.
This wrapper implements some kind of adapter which will look like
browser to PPAPI plugin and look like NPAPI plugin for browser."

Marguerite

Jan Engelhardt schrieb:

> On Monday 2015-10-26 15:04, Robert Kaiser wrote:
>>
>> I have to run two things right at this moment (a game and a
>> sports video player) that require Flash.
>
> Nobody has to run, of all things, games. :p
> And as for sports, perhaps you can throw youtube-dl at it,
> at least for non-live events.

The latter will not help for watching live NFL, and that's all I care about.

That said, yes, you are right, I don't "have to" play this game or watch
live NFL, but unfortunately, if I want to (and I do) I *have to* use
Flash for it at this time. :(
And that's what I meant.

KaiRo

Re: Flash Player dropped from Tumbleweed and Leap 42.1

Robby Engelmann
Hi all,

I also use freshplayerplugin in FF for a while, however it does not work
anymore since one of the last TW snapshots :-(.

Robby.
--
Jabber: [hidden email]
--

Jede meiner Mails ist mittels PGP signiert. Die Signatur kann einfach mit
meinem öffentlichen Schlüssel auf den Standard Key-Servern geprüft werden und

http://www.kuketz-blog.de/verschluesselte-e-mails-mit-gnupg-als-supergrundrecht/

Anleitung für Windows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieuHHu4MoMo

Anleitung für den Mac:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hGlzPzjU-0

Einfach Schlüssel erzeugen uns los geht es ...

On Monday, October 26, 2015 11:21:18 PM Marguerite Su wrote:

> Hi, list,
>
> There has already been a way to use chromium-pepper-flash on FF for TW
>
> I didn't check Leap, but will do
>
> look for "freshplayerplugin"
>
> "The main goal of this project is to get PPAPI (Pepper) Flash player
> working in Firefox.
> This wrapper implements some kind of adapter which will look like
> browser to PPAPI plugin and look like NPAPI plugin for browser."
>

> Marguerite

1234 ... 7