First attempt at installing wireless

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

First attempt at installing wireless

gregfreemyer
All,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
wireless controller (per lspci).

Per http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_(Wireless)

For the BCM 4312 it says:
11.0 Native kernel driver. First check if b43-fwcutter is installed,
if not install it, then run as root the included script:
install_bcm43xx_firmware from the /usr/sbin directory. You have to be
already connected to the Internet to run the script. Restart your
system to load the driver.

I've just done that and I still am not showing a wireless controller
at all via ifconfig or iwconfig.

That page does not have OS 11.1 info, but I assume it is still supported.

What else am I supposed to do?

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
Litigation Triage Solutions Specialist
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregfreemyer
First 99 Days Litigation White Paper -
http://www.norcrossgroup.com/forms/whitepapers/99%20Days%20whitepaper.pdf

The Norcross Group
The Intersection of Evidence & Technology
http://www.norcrossgroup.com
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First attempt at installing wireless

medwinz
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Greg Freemyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
> wireless controller (per lspci).
>
> Per http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_(Wireless)
>
> What else am I supposed to do?
>

Try 1-click install from Packman :-)

http://packman.links2linux.org/package/broadcom-wl

see if that works for you

regards,
medwinz

--

Bill Cosby  - "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid
ones that need the advice."
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

First attempt at installing wireless

Nkoli
When you ran install_bcm43xx_firmware, did it display any errors - ie,
did the installation complete? If the install completed, you should be
able to run 'modprobe b43' to load the driver. The driver should load
automatically at startup, but if you modprobe it, run 'dmesg' right
afterwards to see any errors that may be preventing it from loading.


Nkoli
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First attempt at installing wireless

Jos van Kan
In reply to this post by gregfreemyer


Greg Freemyer schreef:

> All,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
> wireless controller (per lspci).
>
> Per http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_(Wireless)
>
> For the BCM 4312 it says:
> 11.0 Native kernel driver. First check if b43-fwcutter is installed,
> if not install it, then run as root the included script:
> install_bcm43xx_firmware from the /usr/sbin directory. You have to be
> already connected to the Internet to run the script. Restart your
> system to load the driver.
>
> I've just done that and I still am not showing a wireless controller
> at all via ifconfig or iwconfig.
>
> That page does not have OS 11.1 info, but I assume it is still supported.
>
> What else am I supposed to do?

As root:

rcnetwork restart

--
Jos van Kan                registered Linux user #152704
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First attempt at installing wireless

gregfreemyer
In reply to this post by medwinz
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:44 AM, medwinz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:19 PM, Greg Freemyer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
>> wireless controller (per lspci).
>>
>> Per http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_(Wireless)
>>
>> What else am I supposed to do?
>>
>
> Try 1-click install from Packman :-)
>
> http://packman.links2linux.org/package/broadcom-wl
>
> see if that works for you
>
> regards,
> medwinz

Well that was fun.  I happened to have installed the 8 online security
patches and the above 1-click.

I then rebooted.  After reboot I did not have a keyboard!!!!

Don't know which did the damage.  Since it was a virgin install
previously, I just re-installed 11.1

I'll do the security patches first, then try some of the other options.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
Litigation Triage Solutions Specialist
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregfreemyer
First 99 Days Litigation White Paper -
http://www.norcrossgroup.com/forms/whitepapers/99%20Days%20whitepaper.pdf

The Norcross Group
The Intersection of Evidence & Technology
http://www.norcrossgroup.com
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First attempt at installing wireless

Fred A. Miller
In reply to this post by gregfreemyer
Greg Freemyer wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
> wireless controller (per lspci).
>
> Per http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_(Wireless)
>
> For the BCM 4312 it says:
> 11.0 Native kernel driver. First check if b43-fwcutter is installed,
> if not install it, then run as root the included script:
> install_bcm43xx_firmware from the /usr/sbin directory. You have to be
> already connected to the Internet to run the script. Restart your
> system to load the driver.
>
> I've just done that and I still am not showing a wireless controller
> at all via ifconfig or iwconfig.
>
> That page does not have OS 11.1 info, but I assume it is still supported.
>
> What else am I supposed to do?

Forgive me for this, but buy an Intel mini-PCI to replace the Broadcom.
MOST 1525's shipped with the Intel 3945 chipset card, and it's one of
the best made.....cost is $30+.

Fred

--
Someone is a liberal when you can't reason them out of
anything, because they never reason themselves into any
position.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First attempt at installing wireless

Jos van Kan

Fred A. Miller schreef:
> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
>> wireless controller (per lspci).
>>
(snip)
>
> Forgive me for this, but buy an Intel mini-PCI to replace the Broadcom.
> MOST 1525's shipped with the Intel 3945 chipset card, and it's one of
> the best made.....cost is $30+.

I can't see a single reason to do that. The Broadcom works flawlessly once you
install the driver.


--
Jos van Kan                registered Linux user #152704
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First attempt at installing wireless

Peter Nikolic
In reply to this post by Fred A. Miller
On Thursday 29 January 2009, Fred A. Miller wrote:

> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>
>
> Forgive me for this, but buy an Intel mini-PCI to replace the Broadcom.
> MOST 1525's shipped with the Intel 3945 chipset card, and it's one of
> the best made.....cost is $30+.
>
> Fred
>
> --
> Someone is a liberal when you can't reason them out of
> anything, because they never reason themselves into any
> position.


Interesting you should say that because i tried exactly that with my Compaq
Presario V5030  laptop and it would not boot just put up a message about
unsupported PCI card so i had to go back to the Broadcom card which is now
working completely it has to be said

Pete .

--
SuSE Linux 10.3-Alpha3. (Linux is like a wigwam - no Gates, no Windows, and an
Apache inside.)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First attempt at installing wireless

gregfreemyer
In reply to this post by Nkoli
Okay I've reinstalled from scratch with a default install.

And installed all the security and recommended online patches.

Nothing more.  Nothing less.  At this point I have a very vanilla install.

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Nkoli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When you ran install_bcm43xx_firmware, did it display any errors - ie,
> did the installation complete?

No, no errors at all.

 >If the install completed, you should be
> able to run 'modprobe b43' to load the driver. The driver should load
> automatically at startup, but if you modprobe it, run 'dmesg' right
> afterwards to see any errors that may be preventing it from loading.

modprobe b43 seems to work fine.  Prior to running it, lsmod " grep
b43 showed nothing even after a clean reboot.

Afterwords it had several entries.

==
linux-xevi:/home/gaf # lsmod | grep b43
b43                   135688  0
ssb                    45132  1 b43
rfkill                 11044  1 b43
pcmcia                 38640  2 b43,ssb
mac80211              242320  1 b43
led_class               5008  1 b43
input_polldev           4664  1 b43
pcmcia_core            39140  3 b43,ssb,pcmcia
==

I then did a rcnetwork restart

Shutting down the NetworkManager                                     done
Shutting down network interfaces:
    eth0      device: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast
EthernetController (rev 12)
      done
Shutting down service network  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .             done
Starting the NetworkManager                                          done

Looks right to me.  But I still don't see the equivalent of a NIC!!

linux-xevi:/home/gaf # ifconfig -a
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1D:09:48:3B:80
          inet6 addr: fe80::21d:9ff:fe48:3b80/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:3481 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2639 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:4091036 (3.9 Mb)  TX bytes:390909 (381.7 Kb)
          Interrupt:16

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:56 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:56 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:3536 (3.4 Kb)  TX bytes:3536 (3.4 Kb)

linux-xevi:/home/gaf # iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.


> Nkoli
> --
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>



--
Greg Freemyer
Litigation Triage Solutions Specialist
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregfreemyer
First 99 Days Litigation White Paper -
http://www.norcrossgroup.com/forms/whitepapers/99%20Days%20whitepaper.pdf

The Norcross Group
The Intersection of Evidence & Technology
http://www.norcrossgroup.com
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First attempt at installing wireless

gregfreemyer
More searching and I found a two-week old message on the Opensuse
forum that says:

>> A BCM4312 a/b/g card is supported by the b43 driver.

But it strongly implies the bcm4312 b/g card is not.  Guess what I have.

I guess that leaves ndiswrapper as my only choice?

I need to run, so that will have to wait for another day.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
Litigation Triage Solutions Specialist
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gregfreemyer
First 99 Days Litigation White Paper -
http://www.norcrossgroup.com/forms/whitepapers/99%20Days%20whitepaper.pdf

The Norcross Group
The Intersection of Evidence & Technology
http://www.norcrossgroup.com
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First attempt at installing wireless

Jos van Kan
In reply to this post by gregfreemyer
Greg Freemyer schreef:
> Okay I've reinstalled from scratch with a default install.
>
> And installed all the security and recommended online patches.
>
> Nothing more.  Nothing less.  At this point I have a very vanilla install.
>
(snip)

> linux-xevi:/home/gaf # ifconfig -a
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1D:09:48:3B:80
>           inet6 addr: fe80::21d:9ff:fe48:3b80/64 Scope:Link
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:3481 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:2639 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
>           RX bytes:4091036 (3.9 Mb)  TX bytes:390909 (381.7 Kb)
>           Interrupt:16
>
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>           RX packets:56 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:56 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>           RX bytes:3536 (3.4 Kb)  TX bytes:3536 (3.4 Kb)
>
> linux-xevi:/home/gaf # iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0      no wireless extensions.
>

Hm. This looks more like the card has not been configured. What does Yast2's
network configuration report?
--
Jos van Kan                registered Linux user #152704

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: First attempt at installing wireless

Pete Connolly
In reply to this post by gregfreemyer
On Wednesday 28 Jan 2009 15:19:28 Greg Freemyer wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312
> wireless controller (per lspci).
>
> Per http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_(Wireless)
>
> For the BCM 4312 it says:
> 11.0 Native kernel driver. First check if b43-fwcutter is installed,
> if not install it, then run as root the included script:
> install_bcm43xx_firmware from the /usr/sbin directory. You have to be
> already connected to the Internet to run the script. Restart your
> system to load the driver.
>
> I've just done that and I still am not showing a wireless controller
> at all via ifconfig or iwconfig.
>
> That page does not have OS 11.1 info, but I assume it is still supported.
>
> What else am I supposed to do?
>
Hi Greg

I had a problem getting my wireless to work, a Broadcom BCM 4238.  Even
installing ndiswrapper and using the correct driver from the windows partition
didn't work until I blacklisted the ssb module.

Can you check to see if ssb is loaded, and if so rmmod it and try your network
setup again.  If that works, you can blacklist it in the
/etc/modprobe.conf.local file.

Cheers

Pete


--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]