Firewalld fails to start

Bill Merriam
I am running opensuse 15.1 with firewalld-0.8.3-lp151.1.1.noarch from h
ttp://download.opensuse.org/repositories/security:/netfilter/openSUSE_L
eap_15.1/ .

I found it wasn't starting and discovered it required python3-nftables
in order to run but that wasn't a prereq.

Should firewalld prereq python3-nftables?

Bill

Re: Firewalld fails to start

Hans-Peter Jansen-2
Am Sonntag, 30. August 2020, 17:47:48 CEST schrieb Bill Merriam:
> I am running opensuse 15.1 with firewalld-0.8.3-lp151.1.1.noarch from h
> ttp://download.opensuse.org/repositories/security:/netfilter/openSUSE_L
> eap_15.1/ .
>
> I found it wasn't starting and discovered it required python3-nftables
> in order to run but that wasn't a prereq.
>
> Should firewalld prereq python3-nftables?

Check, if:

FirewallBackend=iptables

is in /etc/firewalld/firewalld.conf (should be the default), to be verified
with:

$ rpm -V firewalld

Cheers,
Pete

Re: Firewalld fails to start

Bill Merriam
On Sun, 2020-08-30 at 19:32 +0200, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 30. August 2020, 17:47:48 CEST schrieb Bill Merriam:
> > I am running opensuse 15.1 with firewalld-0.8.3-lp151.1.1.noarch
> > from h
> > ttp://download.opensuse.org/repositories/security:/netfilter/openSU
> > SE_L
> > eap_15.1/ .
> >
> > I found it wasn't starting and discovered it required python3-
> > nftables
> > in order to run but that wasn't a prereq.
> >
> > Should firewalld prereq python3-nftables?
>
> Check, if:
>
> FirewallBackend=iptables
>
> is in /etc/firewalld/firewalld.conf (should be the default), to be
> verified
> with:
>
> $ rpm -V firewalld
>
> Cheers,
> Pete

Thanks, Pete.

The correct configuration was in firewalld.conf.rpmnew.  It had lots of
new stuff so I put it in use.  I guess I installed an update without
paying attention to what it did.  It doesn't seem like the packaging
needs fixing.  Hopefully anybody else that somehow ends up at the same
place I got will find this post and know how to fix it.

Thanks again for your attention.

Bill