Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Lubos Lunak

 Hello,

 as milestone8 now ships the Firefox KDE integration
(http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/FirefoxIntegration), and for many KDE users this
could be considered quite big good news, I think it would be nice to redo the
demonstration video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp5bX_NV6k) on
milestone8 and write an article for news.opensuse.org/dot.kde.org .

 Would a volunteer be interested in doing this? Completely no technical skills
required (besides basics like being able to record the desktop and running
milestone8 at least in virtualbox), so this would fit nicely for whoever
is "no programmer/packager" be would like to contribute anyway.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
--------------------------------------------------------------
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: [hidden email] , [hidden email]
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Lubos Lunak
On Thursday 01 of October 2009, Lubos Lunak wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  as milestone8 now ships the Firefox KDE integration
> (http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/FirefoxIntegration), and for many KDE users
> this could be considered quite big good news, I think it would be nice to
> redo the demonstration video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp5bX_NV6k)
> on milestone8 and write an article for news.opensuse.org/dot.kde.org .
>
>  Would a volunteer be interested in doing this? Completely no technical
> skills required (besides basics like being able to record the desktop and
> running milestone8 at least in virtualbox), so this would fit nicely for
> whoever is "no programmer/packager" be would like to contribute anyway.

 And I would of course answer any questions as necessary. It's just that I'd
prefer to do the programmer/packager things and leave this for somebody who's
better at this.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
--------------------------------------------------------------
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: [hidden email] , [hidden email]
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Bruno Friedmann-2
Lubos Lunak wrote:

> On Thursday 01 of October 2009, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>>  Hello,
>>
>>  as milestone8 now ships the Firefox KDE integration
>> (http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/FirefoxIntegration), and for many KDE users
>> this could be considered quite big good news, I think it would be nice to
>> redo the demonstration video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp5bX_NV6k)
>> on milestone8 and write an article for news.opensuse.org/dot.kde.org .
>>
>>  Would a volunteer be interested in doing this? Completely no technical
>> skills required (besides basics like being able to record the desktop and
>> running milestone8 at least in virtualbox), so this would fit nicely for
>> whoever is "no programmer/packager" be would like to contribute anyway.
>
>  And I would of course answer any questions as necessary. It's just that I'd
> prefer to do the programmer/packager things and leave this for somebody who's
> better at this.
>

Hi Lubos, I've try yesterday on my scratch laptop to replay a short of demo.
But it's a too old laptop (1Gz/512Ram/SuperSlow disk) so the demo doesn't run at an impressive speed.

Until Sunday, I've to test some stuff which I would made on another good pc.
So I can try to redo this.

Just a question, Now with M8 there's no more reason to add your own repository right ?

--

     Bruno Friedmann  (tigerfoot)

Ioda-Net Sàrl
  2830 Vellerat - Switzerland

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Francis Giannaros-4
In reply to this post by Lubos Lunak
2009/10/1 Lubos Lunak <[hidden email]>:

>
>  Hello,
>
>  as milestone8 now ships the Firefox KDE integration
> (http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/FirefoxIntegration), and for many KDE users this
> could be considered quite big good news, I think it would be nice to redo the
> demonstration video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp5bX_NV6k) on
> milestone8 and write an article for news.opensuse.org/dot.kde.org .
>
>  Would a volunteer be interested in doing this? Completely no technical skills
> required (besides basics like being able to record the desktop and running
> milestone8 at least in virtualbox), so this would fit nicely for whoever
> is "no programmer/packager" be would like to contribute anyway.

Speaking to Beineri at the conference, we thought it might be a good
idea to do this in the sneak peeks article, and then link to it
prominently on the dot, like we did with the original KDE4 article
http://dot.kde.org/2007/09/16/opensuse-103-include-first-parts-kde-4
(mentioning it in the title, and with some questions to a dev).

Bruno, let's work together on doing this. Are you on IRC at all?

Regards,
--
Francis Giannaros   http://francis.giannaros.org
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Bruno Friedmann-2
Francis Giannaros wrote:

> 2009/10/1 Lubos Lunak <[hidden email]>:
>>  Hello,
>>
>>  as milestone8 now ships the Firefox KDE integration
>> (http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/FirefoxIntegration), and for many KDE users this
>> could be considered quite big good news, I think it would be nice to redo the
>> demonstration video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp5bX_NV6k) on
>> milestone8 and write an article for news.opensuse.org/dot.kde.org .
>>
>>  Would a volunteer be interested in doing this? Completely no technical skills
>> required (besides basics like being able to record the desktop and running
>> milestone8 at least in virtualbox), so this would fit nicely for whoever
>> is "no programmer/packager" be would like to contribute anyway.
>
> Speaking to Beineri at the conference, we thought it might be a good
> idea to do this in the sneak peeks article, and then link to it
> prominently on the dot, like we did with the original KDE4 article
> http://dot.kde.org/2007/09/16/opensuse-103-include-first-parts-kde-4
> (mentioning it in the title, and with some questions to a dev).
>
> Bruno, let's work together on doing this. Are you on IRC at all?
>
> Regards,

Actually I'm but have also my work to be done and have to left in ten minutes ...
Will be there this end of afternoon ( europe time :-)

I'm not really a "good writer" but when the new 11.2 scratch machine would be up, (this night)
Can do many screenshots or video records.
But I agree on the fact to work together :-))

We have also many bugs which need to be fix ... (Ah networkmanager, umts modem, openvpn, Will ? ... )


--

     Bruno Friedmann  (tigerfoot)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Lubos Lunak
In reply to this post by Bruno Friedmann-2
On Friday 02 of October 2009, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
> Just a question, Now with M8 there's no more reason to add your own
> repository right ?

 M8 alone is enough.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
--------------------------------------------------------------
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: [hidden email] , [hidden email]
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Paul Hands-2
In reply to this post by Lubos Lunak
Hi,

Did you get a volunteer yet?

If not, I'll try.  I'm a SuSE user since v5.2, a linux-head and good
with words.  I have a great setup working beautifully with KDE4.3.1 on
11.1 and 11.2M7 (and tomorrow M8).  I'm using full compositing on the
NVidia (I know!) latest Beta driver with all the effects turned on.  
Could make a good video....

Regards,

Paul


Lubos Lunak wrote:

> On Thursday 01 of October 2009, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  
>>  Hello,
>>
>>  as milestone8 now ships the Firefox KDE integration
>> (http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/FirefoxIntegration), and for many KDE users
>> this could be considered quite big good news, I think it would be nice to
>> redo the demonstration video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp5bX_NV6k)
>> on milestone8 and write an article for news.opensuse.org/dot.kde.org .
>>
>>  Would a volunteer be interested in doing this? Completely no technical
>> skills required (besides basics like being able to record the desktop and
>> running milestone8 at least in virtualbox), so this would fit nicely for
>> whoever is "no programmer/packager" be would like to contribute anyway.
>>    
>
>  And I would of course answer any questions as necessary. It's just that I'd
> prefer to do the programmer/packager things and leave this for somebody who's
> better at this.
>
>  

--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Javier Llorente-2
In reply to this post by Lubos Lunak
On Thursday 01 October 2009 19:34:27 Lubos Lunak wrote:

> On Thursday 01 of October 2009, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Hello,
> >
> >  as milestone8 now ships the Firefox KDE integration
> > (http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/FirefoxIntegration), and for many KDE users
> > this could be considered quite big good news, I think it would be nice to
> > redo the demonstration video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyp5bX_NV6k)
> > on milestone8 and write an article for news.opensuse.org/dot.kde.org .
> >
> >  Would a volunteer be interested in doing this? Completely no technical
> > skills required (besides basics like being able to record the desktop and
> > running milestone8 at least in virtualbox), so this would fit nicely for
> > whoever is "no programmer/packager" be would like to contribute anyway.
>
>  And I would of course answer any questions as necessary. It's just that
>  I'd prefer to do the programmer/packager things and leave this for
>  somebody who's better at this.
>
I have remade the video. The unedited version is available at
http://www.javierllorente.com/test.html
Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Greetings,
Javier

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Martin Schlander
Mandag den 5. oktober 2009 15:05:52 skrev Javier Llorente:
> I have remade the video. The unedited version is available at
> http://www.javierllorente.com/test.html
> Comments and suggestions are welcome!

Looks rather good overall.

Couple of comments.

1) I was a little annoyed by the bouncing launch feedback icon. Maybe you
should disable that for the video, since it doesn't seem to understand when
Firefox is done launching.

2) Maybe it's a bit too detailed. You seem to show the file dialog twice, as
well as the "kde application" integration (Ark for tar.gz and Konv for irc
links)
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Javier Llorente-2
On Wednesday 07 October 2009 13:30:12 Martin Schlander wrote:

> Mandag den 5. oktober 2009 15:05:52 skrev Javier Llorente:
> > I have remade the video. The unedited version is available at
> > http://www.javierllorente.com/test.html
> > Comments and suggestions are welcome!
>
> Looks rather good overall.
>
> Couple of comments.
>
> 1) I was a little annoyed by the bouncing launch feedback icon. Maybe you
> should disable that for the video, since it doesn't seem to understand when
> Firefox is done launching.
You aren't the first person who tells me that ;-) I will disable it or set it
to bounce less time.

> 2) Maybe it's a bit too detailed. You seem to show the file dialog twice,
>  as well as the "kde application" integration (Ark for tar.gz and Konv for
>  irc links)
>

Well, as I said this the unedited version. In the final version I won't repeat
any step. :-)

Thanks for your feedback!

Cheers,
Javier

signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Cristian Morales Vega
In reply to this post by Martin Schlander
2009/10/7 Martin Schlander <[hidden email]>:

> Mandag den 5. oktober 2009 15:05:52 skrev Javier Llorente:
>> I have remade the video. The unedited version is available at
>> http://www.javierllorente.com/test.html
>> Comments and suggestions are welcome!
>
> Looks rather good overall.
>
> Couple of comments.
>
> 1) I was a little annoyed by the bouncing launch feedback icon. Maybe you
> should disable that for the video, since it doesn't seem to understand when
> Firefox is done launching.

Is that reproducible?
If the file /usr/share/applications/MozillaFirefox.desktop has a
"StartupNotify=true" and the icon doesn't dissapears this is a bug.
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Wolfgang Rosenauer-5
On 10/08/2009 07:06 AM, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:

> 2009/10/7 Martin Schlander <[hidden email]>:
>> Mandag den 5. oktober 2009 15:05:52 skrev Javier Llorente:
>>> I have remade the video. The unedited version is available at
>>> http://www.javierllorente.com/test.html
>>> Comments and suggestions are welcome!
>>
>> Looks rather good overall.
>>
>> Couple of comments.
>>
>> 1) I was a little annoyed by the bouncing launch feedback icon. Maybe you
>> should disable that for the video, since it doesn't seem to understand when
>> Firefox is done launching.
>
> Is that reproducible?
> If the file /usr/share/applications/MozillaFirefox.desktop has a
> "StartupNotify=true" and the icon doesn't dissapears this is a bug.

This is a bug indeed and it was filed quite some time ago in the FF3.5
testing phase. And actually Lubos fixed it yesterday and the fix is in
the mozilla factory queue currently.

Wolfgang
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Javier Llorente-2
On Thursday 08 October 2009 07:22:40 Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

> On 10/08/2009 07:06 AM, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
> > 2009/10/7 Martin Schlander <[hidden email]>:
> >> Mandag den 5. oktober 2009 15:05:52 skrev Javier Llorente:
> >>> I have remade the video. The unedited version is available at
> >>> http://www.javierllorente.com/test.html
> >>> Comments and suggestions are welcome!
> >>
> >> Looks rather good overall.
> >>
> >> Couple of comments.
> >>
> >> 1) I was a little annoyed by the bouncing launch feedback icon. Maybe
> >> you should disable that for the video, since it doesn't seem to
> >> understand when Firefox is done launching.
> >
> > Is that reproducible?
> > If the file /usr/share/applications/MozillaFirefox.desktop has a
> > "StartupNotify=true" and the icon doesn't dissapears this is a bug.
>
> This is a bug indeed and it was filed quite some time ago in the FF3.5
> testing phase. And actually Lubos fixed it yesterday and the fix is in
> the mozilla factory queue currently.
>
> Wolfgang
>
Here's the second version of the video. No more bouncing forever feedback
icons. :-)
http://www.javierllorente.com/test.html
This one is a little bit better in my opinion. What do you think?

Lubos: As you can see, I haven't changed Firefox's theme to Oxygen. I am using
the default one.

Greetings,
Javier


signature.asc (204 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Lubos Lunak
On Tuesday 20 of October 2009, Javier Llorente wrote:
> Here's the second version of the video. No more bouncing forever feedback
> icons. :-)
> http://www.javierllorente.com/test.html
> This one is a little bit better in my opinion. What do you think?

 I like it, but if possible one thing should be changed - when changing the
default back to Konqueror, it should be done by flipping the radiobutton, not
by entering 'konqueror' in the lineedit, as that is the way how to switch
back to the upstream default.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
--------------------------------------------------------------
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: [hidden email] , [hidden email]
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Francis Giannaros-4
2009/10/21 Lubos Lunak <[hidden email]>:

> On Tuesday 20 of October 2009, Javier Llorente wrote:
>> Here's the second version of the video. No more bouncing forever feedback
>> icons. :-)
>> http://www.javierllorente.com/test.html
>> This one is a little bit better in my opinion. What do you think?
>
>  I like it, but if possible one thing should be changed - when changing the
> default back to Konqueror, it should be done by flipping the radiobutton, not
> by entering 'konqueror' in the lineedit, as that is the way how to switch
> back to the upstream default.

Guys, I would really like to get the article pushed through now. What
are we going to do about the video?

Regards,
--
Francis Giannaros   http://francis.giannaros.org
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Firefox KDE integration demo/article - volunteer?

Lubos Lunak
On Friday 23 of October 2009, Francis Giannaros wrote:

> 2009/10/21 Lubos Lunak <[hidden email]>:
> > On Tuesday 20 of October 2009, Javier Llorente wrote:
> >> Here's the second version of the video. No more bouncing forever
> >> feedback icons. :-)
> >> http://www.javierllorente.com/test.html
> >> This one is a little bit better in my opinion. What do you think?
> >
> >  I like it, but if possible one thing should be changed - when changing
> > the default back to Konqueror, it should be done by flipping the
> > radiobutton, not by entering 'konqueror' in the lineedit, as that is the
> > way how to switch back to the upstream default.
>
> Guys, I would really like to get the article pushed through now. What
> are we going to do about the video?

 I'd like to see the one detail changed, but if there's no time to redo the
video, I'm fine with this version too.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
--------------------------------------------------------------
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: [hidden email] , [hidden email]
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz
--
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]