Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Hi all,

next week Mozilla launches Firefox 57 also called Quantum
(https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/)

I finally came around to prepare a very first openSUSE package which can be
installed from OBS mozilla:beta since yesterday.
Firefox 57 contains quite a number of changes and therefore it would be nice if
people could have a look at it and play around before it's released
approximately end of next week to Tumbleweed and in the mozilla repo.

The currently available package is quite untested still. I could launch it on my
42.3 system and surf around but what is currently completely untested is the KDE
integration and other usecases.
So I'm looking for your feedback while I probably do a few rebuilds over the
week with small changes.

Please keep in mind that most of your addons will stop working due to removal of
the old extension apis. So only modern extensions using the WebExtension
infrastructure will continue to work.
Obviously there is no value in reporting or complain about that fact to me.
Tumbleweed is supposed to have the latest stuff so we need to live with that. In
parallel 42.x will still carry the 52ESR version which is also available for
Tumbleweed in the mozilla repo.

Thanks,
 Wolfgang

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
I have to add something:

A package for Tumbleweed is not yet available unfortunately but just 42.3.
There are build fixes required for TW still :-(

Wolfgang

Am 07.11.2017 um 15:59 schrieb Wolfgang Rosenauer:

> Hi all,
>
> next week Mozilla launches Firefox 57 also called Quantum
> (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/)
>
> I finally came around to prepare a very first openSUSE package which can be
> installed from OBS mozilla:beta since yesterday.
> Firefox 57 contains quite a number of changes and therefore it would be nice if
> people could have a look at it and play around before it's released
> approximately end of next week to Tumbleweed and in the mozilla repo.
>
> The currently available package is quite untested still. I could launch it on my
> 42.3 system and surf around but what is currently completely untested is the KDE
> integration and other usecases.
> So I'm looking for your feedback while I probably do a few rebuilds over the
> week with small changes.
>
> Please keep in mind that most of your addons will stop working due to removal of
> the old extension apis. So only modern extensions using the WebExtension
> infrastructure will continue to work.
> Obviously there is no value in reporting or complain about that fact to me.
> Tumbleweed is supposed to have the latest stuff so we need to live with that. In
> parallel 42.x will still carry the 52ESR version which is also available for
> Tumbleweed in the mozilla repo.
>

> Thanks,
>  Wolfgang

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Roman Bysh-5
On 07/11/17 09:59 AM, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> next week Mozilla launches Firefox 57 also called Quantum
> (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/)
>
> I finally came around to prepare a very first openSUSE package which can be
> installed from OBS mozilla:beta since yesterday.
> Firefox 57 contains quite a number of changes and therefore it would be nice if
> people could have a look at it and play around before it's released
> approximately end of next week to Tumbleweed and in the mozilla repo.
>
> The currently available package is quite untested still. I could launch it on my
> 42.3 system and surf around but what is currently completely untested is the KDE
> integration and other usecases.
> So I'm looking for your feedback while I probably do a few rebuilds over the
> week with small changes.
>
> Please keep in mind that most of your addons will stop working due to removal of
> the old extension apis. So only modern extensions using the WebExtension
> infrastructure will continue to work.
> Obviously there is no value in reporting or complain about that fact to me.
> Tumbleweed is supposed to have the latest stuff so we need to live with that. In
> parallel 42.x will still carry the 52ESR version which is also available for
> Tumbleweed in the mozilla repo.
>

> Thanks,
>   Wolfgang

I'm having a problem installing it on 42.3 due to a missing file.

#### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2017-11-07 12:03:44 ####

nothing provides libnss3.so(NSS_3.30)(64bit) needed by MozillaFirefox-56.99-1.1.x86_64

     [ ] do not install MozillaFirefox-56.99-1.1.x86_64

     [ ] break MozillaFirefox-56.99-1.1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

--
Cheers!

Roman

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4
Am 07.11.2017 um 18:05 schrieb Roman Bysh:

> I'm having a problem installing it on 42.3 due to a missing file.
>
> #### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2017-11-07 12:03:44 ####
>
> nothing provides libnss3.so(NSS_3.30)(64bit) needed by
> MozillaFirefox-56.99-1.1.x86_64
>
>     [ ] do not install MozillaFirefox-56.99-1.1.x86_64
>
>     [ ] break MozillaFirefox-56.99-1.1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies

ah, sorry.
If you use the mozilla:beta repo you also need to have the mozilla repo as a
baseline because you need newer versions of depending libraries which are
"stable" and therefore not in the beta repository.

Wolfgang

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Roman Bysh-5
On 07/11/17 12:18 PM, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

> Am 07.11.2017 um 18:05 schrieb Roman Bysh:
> > I'm having a problem installing it on 42.3 due to a missing file.
> >
> > #### YaST2 conflicts list - generated 2017-11-07 12:03:44 ####
> >
> > nothing provides libnss3.so(NSS_3.30)(64bit) needed by
> > MozillaFirefox-56.99-1.1.x86_64
> >
> >      [ ] do not install MozillaFirefox-56.99-1.1.x86_64
> >
> >      [ ] break MozillaFirefox-56.99-1.1.x86_64 by ignoring some of its dependencies
>
> ah, sorry.
> If you use the mozilla:beta repo you also need to have the mozilla repo as a
> baseline because you need newer versions of depending libraries which are
> "stable" and therefore not in the beta repository.
>

> Wolfgang

I just added the main Mozilla repo and it's installing.

--
Cheers!

Roman

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Frank Krüger
Am 07.11.2017 um 15:59 schrieb Wolfgang Rosenauer:

> Hi all,
>
> next week Mozilla launches Firefox 57 also called Quantum
> (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/)
>
> I finally came around to prepare a very first openSUSE package which can be
> installed from OBS mozilla:beta since yesterday.
> Firefox 57 contains quite a number of changes and therefore it would be nice if
> people could have a look at it and play around before it's released
> approximately end of next week to Tumbleweed and in the mozilla repo.
>
> The currently available package is quite untested still. I could launch it on my
> 42.3 system and surf around but what is currently completely untested is the KDE
> integration and other usecases.
> So I'm looking for your feedback while I probably do a few rebuilds over the
> week with small changes.
>
> Please keep in mind that most of your addons will stop working due to removal of
> the old extension apis. So only modern extensions using the WebExtension
> infrastructure will continue to work.
> Obviously there is no value in reporting or complain about that fact to me.
> Tumbleweed is supposed to have the latest stuff so we need to live with that. In
> parallel 42.x will still carry the 52ESR version which is also available for
> Tumbleweed in the mozilla repo.
>

> Thanks,
>  Wolfgang

So far Firefox 56.99-2.1.x86_64 from
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/mozilla:beta (with mozilla repo
enabled) works pretty well (fast) on Leap 42.3 with KDE Frameworks LTS
5.8.8. I do not like the new look (square tabs instead of round ones,
etc.), but that is a different story. By the way, add-ons that are not
compatible with Firefox >= 57 are just disabled and still listed.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards, Frank

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Roman Bysh-5
On 07/11/17 02:35 PM, Frank Krüger wrote:

> Am 07.11.2017 um 15:59 schrieb Wolfgang Rosenauer:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > next week Mozilla launches Firefox 57 also called Quantum
> > (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/)
> >
> > I finally came around to prepare a very first openSUSE package which can be
> > installed from OBS mozilla:beta since yesterday.
> > Firefox 57 contains quite a number of changes and therefore it would be nice if
> > people could have a look at it and play around before it's released
> > approximately end of next week to Tumbleweed and in the mozilla repo.
> >
> > The currently available package is quite untested still. I could launch it on my
> > 42.3 system and surf around but what is currently completely untested is the KDE
> > integration and other usecases.
> > So I'm looking for your feedback while I probably do a few rebuilds over the
> > week with small changes.
> >
> > Please keep in mind that most of your addons will stop working due to removal of
> > the old extension apis. So only modern extensions using the WebExtension
> > infrastructure will continue to work.
> > Obviously there is no value in reporting or complain about that fact to me.
> > Tumbleweed is supposed to have the latest stuff so we need to live with that. In
> > parallel 42.x will still carry the 52ESR version which is also available for
> > Tumbleweed in the mozilla repo.
> >

> > Thanks,
> >   Wolfgang
> >
> So far Firefox 56.99-2.1.x86_64 from
> https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/mozilla:beta (with mozilla repo
> enabled) works pretty well (fast) on Leap 42.3 with KDE Frameworks LTS
> 5.8.8. I do not like the new look (square tabs instead of round ones,
> etc.), but that is a different story. By the way, add-ons that are not
> compatible with Firefox >= 57 are just disabled and still listed.
>
> Thank you for your efforts.
>
> Regards, Frank

I agree. It's much faster in start up and performance. I wish that
the Mozilla devs could integrate the classic theme restorer
extension code so that it is part of Firefox.

Cheers!

Roman

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Lars Marowsky-Bree-3
On 2017-11-07T15:59:57, Wolfgang Rosenauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> next week Mozilla launches Firefox 57 also called Quantum
> (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/)

Seems to be working fine for me with Tumbleweed so far. Thanks for doing
this!

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Vlastimil Babka
On 11/07/2017 03:59 PM, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> next week Mozilla launches Firefox 57 also called Quantum
> (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/)
>
> I finally came around to prepare a very first openSUSE package which can be
> installed from OBS mozilla:beta since yesterday.
> Firefox 57 contains quite a number of changes and therefore it would be nice if
> people could have a look at it and play around before it's released
> approximately end of next week to Tumbleweed and in the mozilla repo.
>
> The currently available package is quite untested still. I could launch it on my
> 42.3 system and surf around but what is currently completely untested is the KDE
> integration and other usecases.
> So I'm looking for your feedback while I probably do a few rebuilds over the
> week with small changes.

I've just installed it on Tumbleweed. Getting
SSL_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED_ALERT for mail.google.com. Other Google sites
seem to work fine. Trying a new profile didn't make a difference. The
suggestion here [1] worked: "in about:config modify the value
security.tls.version.max to 3 instead of 4" but that's not a real
solution... Not sure if this can be distro-specific.

Vlastimil

[1] https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1177231

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Robert Kaiser
Frank Krüger schrieb:

> By the way, add-ons that are not
> compatible with Firefox >= 57 are just disabled and still listed.

It's intended by Mozilla to still have them listed in a "Legacy"
section, esp. so that if the add-on creators upload a WebExtension
version of them, they can be get the update and have the add-on working
again.
AFAIK, this will go away at some point in the future, but for now, it's
there for a transition time.

Cheers,
KaiRo

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Tim Hardeck
Hey Wolfgang,

On 11/07/2017 03:59 PM, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> next week Mozilla launches Firefox 57 also called Quantum
> (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/)
>
> I finally came around to prepare a very first openSUSE package which can be
> installed from OBS mozilla:beta since yesterday.
> Firefox 57 contains quite a number of changes and therefore it would be nice if
> people could have a look at it and play around before it's released
> approximately end of next week to Tumbleweed and in the mozilla repo.
>
> The currently available package is quite untested still. I could launch it on my
> 42.3 system and surf around but what is currently completely untested is the KDE
> integration and other usecases.
> So I'm looking for your feedback while I probably do a few rebuilds over the
> week with small changes.
works for me fine on Tumbleweed with KDE. I have used the Firefox 57
Beta until now as home directory installation and can not spot any
difference.

I am already using Firefox 57 as a default browser after years of
Chromium. The only issue I have found so far is that gotomeeting refuses
to work but this is not a packaging issue.

Many thanks
Tim

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Vlastimil Babka
On 11/08/2017 10:30 AM, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> On 11/07/2017 03:59 PM, Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
>
> I've just installed it on Tumbleweed. Getting
> SSL_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED_ALERT for mail.google.com. Other Google sites
> seem to work fine. Trying a new profile didn't make a difference. The
> suggestion here [1] worked: "in about:config modify the value
> security.tls.version.max to 3 instead of 4" but that's not a real
> solution... Not sure if this can be distro-specific.

So FTR this got fixed after updating to the final version from mozilla
repo yesterday.

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

cagsm
hi thread, when is the quantum 57.0 firefoxen gonna see daylight on
the regular leap distros or be publicly released? thanks for your
work.

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Michal Kubecek
On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 05:11:43PM +0100, cagsm wrote:
> hi thread, when is the quantum 57.0 firefoxen gonna see daylight on
> the regular leap distros or be publicly released? thanks for your
> work.

I sincerely hope the answer for 42.x is "never" or at least "not before
52 ESR support ends". Switching the standard firefox package to 57 now
would be against the very idea Leap was built on.

Michal Kubeček

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Wolfgang Rosenauer-4

Am 15.11.2017 um 17:11 schrieb cagsm:
> hi thread, when is the quantum 57.0 firefoxen gonna see daylight on
> the regular leap distros or be publicly released? thanks for your
> work.

Leap 42.x will likely never see Firefox 57 officially since many
toolchain dependencies are too old to support building Firefox 57.
In addition Leap is ESR land with the 52esr series.

Leap 15 might get it. (Depending the timing of ESR and toolchain
compatibility once it's time for Leap 15).

Tumbleweed submission is waiting to be staged and openQAed to release it
once this process is successful.
Until then you could still use the mozilla repo for Leap 42.3 or
Tumbleweed packages.
It is (source-wise) identical to the one submitted to Tumbleweed.

Wolfgang

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Christopher Myers-2
N�����r��y隊Z)z{.���r�+�맲��r��z�^�ˬz��N�(�֜��^� ޭ隊Z)z{.���r�+��0�����Ǩ�

Re: Firefox 57 aka Quantum

Michal Suchánek
On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 15:59:57 +0100
Wolfgang Rosenauer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> next week Mozilla launches Firefox 57 also called Quantum
> (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/quantum/)
>
> I finally came around to prepare a very first openSUSE package which
> can be installed from OBS mozilla:beta since yesterday.

Hello,

it does not build on PowerPC

[  203s] checking for cargo... /usr/bin/cargo
[  203s] checking rustc version... 1.21.0
[  203s] checking cargo version... 0.22.0
[  203s] ERROR: Don't know how to translate powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu
for rustc

Can you explain what powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu means to Firefox?

Thanks

Michal