Firefox 2.0 out

PerfectReign-2
For those interested, FF 2.0 is now out. It was supposed to be out
tomorrow, but for those who can't wait...

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/linux-i686/en-US/

...I'm downloading it now.

I'm getting kind of tired of Opera, as it just doesn't do things the
way I want. FF - even though it looks like a crappy GTK+ app - just
works better.

--
Kai Ponte

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Firefox 2.0 out

Marius Roets
On 10/23/06, PerfectReign <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  FF - even though it looks like a crappy GTK+ app - just
> works better.

Couldn't have said it better myself. At least 2.0 looks a little less
like a crappy GTK+ app :) Still got those dialog boxes though.

Marius

On Mon, October 23, 2006 8:43 am, Marius Roets wrote:
> On 10/23/06, PerfectReign <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  FF - even though it looks like a crappy GTK+ app - just
>> works better.
>
> Couldn't have said it better myself. At least 2.0 looks a little less
> like a crappy GTK+ app :)

Yes, it is somewhat more pleasing to look at. I agree! They've made
some nice changes to the look and feel. I'm sure, however, some SDI
purist out there will tell me I'm wrong for liking the app since it
uses tabs and not separate windows which I can spread across all my
multiple desktops. :)

> Still got those dialog boxes though.

Oh, no! Those are the epitome of Human Interface Design. You should
embrace those dialog boxes. They are - oh wait - who am I kidding?

You're right. They're still awful.

Seriously, it runs a bit slow, but then I don't have an RPM yet.  I
imagine a fully installed version - rather than one run from a
pre-compiled download - will be better.  So far, so good.  There
appears to be an in-line spelling checker, so I have no more excuses
for misspelling on my posts and emails. :)

--
Kai Ponte

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Firefox 2.0 out

Bruce Marshall
On Monday 23 October 2006 12:45, PerfectReign wrote:
> Yes, it is somewhat more pleasing to look at. I agree! They've made
> some nice changes to the look and feel. I'm sure, however, some SDI
> purist out there will tell me I'm wrong for liking the app since it
> uses tabs and not separate windows which I can spread across all my
> multiple desktops. :)

But you can have it either way....   Your choice!

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Firefox 2.0 out

Andreas Jaeger
"PerfectReign" <[hidden email]> writes:

> For those interested, FF 2.0 is now out. It was supposed to be out
> tomorrow, but for those who can't wait...
>
> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/linux-i686/en-US/
>
> ...I'm downloading it now.

And openSUSE 10.2 has already RC3 and will soon have the final version
;-)

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, [hidden email], http://www.suse.de/~aj/
  SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: Firefox 2.0 out

Andreas Jaeger
Andreas Jaeger <[hidden email]> writes:

> "PerfectReign" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> For those interested, FF 2.0 is now out. It was supposed to be out
>> tomorrow, but for those who can't wait...
>>
>> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/linux-i686/en-US/
>>
>> ...I'm downloading it now.
>
> And openSUSE 10.2 has already RC3 and will soon have the final version
> ;-)
I should have added: Beta 1 is due this week ;-)

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger, [hidden email], http://www.suse.de/~aj/
  SUSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany

Re: Firefox 2.0 out

Basil Chupin
Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Andreas Jaeger <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> "PerfectReign" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> For those interested, FF 2.0 is now out. It was supposed to be out
>>> tomorrow, but for those who can't wait...
>>>
>>> http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/linux-i686/en-US/
>>>
>>> ...I'm downloading it now.
>> And openSUSE 10.2 has already RC3 and will soon have the final version
>> ;-)
>
> I should have added: Beta 1 is due this week ;-)
>
> Andreas

Ce? Excuse, but what's the point of releasing a Beta when there is
already a RC3?

Release the RC3 this week and stuff the Beta!

Cheers.

--
This morning my administration released the budget numbers for fiscal 2006.
These budget numbers are not just estimates; these are the actual results

                                               George W. Bush    11 Oct 2006

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Firefox 2.0 out

Randall Schulz
Basil,

On Monday 23 October 2006 18:11, Basil Chupin wrote:

> Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>
> >> And openSUSE 10.2 has already RC3 and will soon have the final
> >> version ;-)
> >
> > I should have added: Beta 1 is due this week ;-)
> >
> > Andreas
>
> Ce? Excuse, but what's the point of releasing a Beta when there is
> already a RC3?

He means Beta 1 of openSUSE 10.2.

RRS

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Basil,

>>> I should have added: Beta 1 is due this week ;-)
>>>
>>> Andreas
>> Ce? Excuse, but what's the point of releasing a Beta when there is
>> already a RC3?
>
> He means Beta 1 of openSUSE 10.2.

I know what he meant.

Beta1 is scheduled for this coming Thursday, 26th, but you can read what
Andreas said about RC3.

Cheers.

--
This morning my administration released the budget numbers for fiscal 2006.
These budget numbers are not just estimates; these are the actual results
for the fiscal year that ended February the 30th.

                                               George W. Bush    11 Oct 2006

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Firefox 2.0 out

Boyd Lynn Gerber
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Basil Chupin wrote:

> Randall R Schulz wrote:

> >> Ce? Excuse, but what's the point of releasing a Beta when there is
> >> already a RC3?
> >
> > He means Beta 1 of openSUSE 10.2.
>
> I know what he meant.
>
> Beta1 is scheduled for this coming Thursday, 26th, but you can read what
> Andreas said about RC3.

I read it as RC3 of Firefox is in Beta 1 of openSUSE 10.2. that will be
released later this week.

--
Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> Randall R Schulz wrote:

>>> He means Beta 1 of openSUSE 10.2.
>> I know what he meant.
>>
>> Beta1 is scheduled for this coming Thursday, 26th, but you can read what
>> Andreas said about RC3.
>
> I read it as RC3 of Firefox is in Beta 1 of openSUSE 10.2. that will be
> released later this week.
>
> --
> Boyd Gerber <[hidden email]>
> ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047

Aah, OK. Understood :-) .

Cheers.

--
This morning my administration released the budget numbers for fiscal 2006.
These budget numbers are not just estimates; these are the actual results
for the fiscal year that ended February the 30th.

                                               George W. Bush    11 Oct 2006

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Firefox 2.0 out

Carl Spitzer-4

http://www.internetpei.com/balls/
> --

Seems this site no longer works as it does under firefox 1.5.0.x.
It needs an updated jre which though a rpm gives me dependency issues
under Suse 9.2

Ill have to test under 10.0.  But for now it seems not to be ready for
prime time.

CWSIV

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Firefox 2.0 out

Marcus Meissner
On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 09:27:20PM -0600, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > Randall R Schulz wrote:

> > > He means Beta 1 of openSUSE 10.2.
> >
> > I know what he meant.
> >
> > Beta1 is scheduled for this coming Thursday, 26th, but you can read what
> > Andreas said about RC3.
>
> I read it as RC3 of Firefox is in Beta 1 of openSUSE 10.2. that will be
> released later this week.

Well, it was updated to final 2.0 in our buildsystem, so you might see
2.0 in openSUSE 10.2 Beta1.

ciao, Marcus

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Firefox 2.0 out

Roger Oberholtzer
On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 06:22 +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:

> Well, it was updated to final 2.0 in our buildsystem, so you might see
> 2.0 in openSUSE 10.2 Beta1.

Perhaps also in the mozilla repository on software.opensuse.org for
10.1?

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB
Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Tel: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Fax: Int +46 8-31 42 23

On Mon, October 23, 2006 11:14 pm, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 06:22 +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
>
>> Well, it was updated to final 2.0 in our buildsystem, so you might
>> see
>> 2.0 in openSUSE 10.2 Beta1.
>
> Perhaps also in the mozilla repository on software.opensuse.org for
> 10.1?

Do you mean, here?

http://software.opensuse.org/download/mozilla/SUSE_Linux_10.1/i586/

I didn't even know that existed.

On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 07:45 -0700, PerfectReign wrote:

> On Mon, October 23, 2006 11:14 pm, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 06:22 +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> >
> >> Well, it was updated to final 2.0 in our buildsystem, so you might
> >> see
> >> 2.0 in openSUSE 10.2 Beta1.
> >
> > Perhaps also in the mozilla repository on software.opensuse.org for
> > 10.1?
>
> Do you mean, here?
>
> http://software.opensuse.org/download/mozilla/SUSE_Linux_10.1/i586/
>
> I didn't even know that existed.

Bingo. It would be nice if 2.0 got there.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB
Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Tel: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Fax: Int +46 8-31 42 23

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-10-24 at 07:45 -0700, PerfectReign wrote:

>>> Perhaps also in the mozilla repository on software.opensuse.org for
>>> 10.1?
>> Do you mean, here?
>>
>> http://software.opensuse.org/download/mozilla/SUSE_Linux_10.1/i586/
>>
>> I didn't even know that existed.
>
> Bingo. It would be nice if 2.0 got there.

You know, it's dead simple to "install" v2.0--or any other
version--without waiting for a rpm from SUSE. You can "install" it
without touching your existing installation of FF which comes with SUSE.

Let me know if you want to know how and I'll repeat what I posted here a
few years ago about how to do it.

Cheers.

--
I'm dangerous when I know what I'm doing.

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Firefox 2.0 out

Peter Van Lone
On 10/24/06, Basil Chupin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You know, it's dead simple to "install" v2.0--or any other
> version--without waiting for a rpm from SUSE. You can "install" it
> without touching your existing installation of FF which comes with SUSE.
>
> Let me know if you want to know how and I'll repeat what I posted here a
> few years ago about how to do it.

please, do

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]

Re: Firefox 2.0 out

S Glasoe
On Monday 23 October 2006 22:54, Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 08:01 -0700, PerfectReign wrote:
> > For those interested, FF 2.0 is now out. It was supposed to be out
> > tomorrow, but for those who can't wait...
> >
> > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/linux-
> >i686/en-US/
> >
> > ...I'm downloading it now.
> >
> > I'm getting kind of tired of Opera, as it just doesn't do things the
> > way I want. FF - even though it looks like a crappy GTK+ app - just
> > works better.
>
> http://www.internetpei.com/balls/
>
> > --
>
> Seems this site no longer works as it does under firefox 1.5.0.x.
> It needs an updated jre which though a rpm gives me dependency issues
> under Suse 9.2
>
> Ill have to test under 10.0.  But for now it seems not to be ready for
> prime time.
>
> CWSIV

You need to do a symlink from /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
to wherever you've installed Firefox 2.0 and its plugins directory.

Stan

On Tue, October 24, 2006 11:29 am, Stan Glasoe wrote:

> On Monday 23 October 2006 22:54, Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:
>> On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 08:01 -0700, PerfectReign wrote:
>> > For those interested, FF 2.0 is now out. It was supposed to be out
>> > tomorrow, but for those who can't wait...
>> >
>> > http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/linux-
>> >i686/en-US/
>> >
>> > ...I'm downloading it now.
>> >
>> > I'm getting kind of tired of Opera, as it just doesn't do things
>> the
>> > way I want. FF - even though it looks like a crappy GTK+ app -
>> just
>> > works better.
>>
>> http://www.internetpei.com/balls/
>>
>> > --
>>
>> Seems this site no longer works as it does under firefox 1.5.0.x.
>> It needs an updated jre which though a rpm gives me dependency
>> issues
>> under Suse 9.2
>>
>> Ill have to test under 10.0.  But for now it seems not to be ready
>> for
>> prime time.
>>
>> CWSIV
>
> You need to do a symlink from
> /usr/lib/browser-plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
> to wherever you've installed Firefox 2.0 and its plugins directory.

Yes, exactly.

Stan - or others - how do I globally symbolicaly link the default
plugins directory to my new one?

For example, I have a bunch of plugins (including Java) in
/usr/lib/broweser-plugins

I did a symbolic link to java by going to the
/home/kai/apps/firefox/plugins directory and typing ln -s
/usr/lib/browser-plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

How do I get the rest?

--
Kai Ponte

Please read the FAQs: [hidden email]